Why can't I use my Jaguar XJ13 racecar... [Answered]

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gee-dub-ya
  • 18 comments
  • 2,531 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
326
Messages
Gee-dub-ya
....in the historic race car cup even though there is an XJ13 in there already??????
 
Is it a Chromeline? The Chromeline has no year. Thus it cannot take part in a year-based championship.

Incidentally, why can't you capitalise the start of your sentence, the personal "I" or the name "Jaguar" when your shift key works perfectly well for "XJ"?
 
Is it a Chromeline? The Chromeline has no year. Thus it cannot take part in a year-based championship.

Incidentally, why can't you capitalise the start of your sentence, the personal "I" or the name "Jaguar" when your shift key works perfectly well for "XJ"?

It is the Chromeline, that would explain it then.

I'm very sorry, I didn't realise perfect grammar and punctuation was a prerequisite of posting a thread. I stand corrected and will hang my head in shame for an eternity.
 
It is the Chromeline, that would explain it then.

I'm very sorry, I didn't realise perfect grammar and punctuation was a prerequisite of posting a thread. I stand corrected and will hang my head in shame for an eternity.

The attitude is not required at all, particularly given that you agreed to follow the AUP when you joined. An AUP which clearly states...

AUP
You will not use “textspeak” (“r”, “u”, “plz”, etc.) in your messages. Decent grammar is expected at all times, including proper usage of capital letters.

Which does beg the question, why agree to something you haven't read or are happy to ignore?


Scaff
 
Wow, people here really love their grammar, eh?
 
What is the purpose of these overly oppressive grammar rules? Did somebody use such bad grammar one day on these forums that the need to implement the Grammar Gestapo became absolutely necessary?
 
Yeah, and it´s not like he was writing like a 10 year old. Overreacting much?
 
The attitude is not required at all, particularly given that you agreed to follow the AUP when you joined. An AUP which clearly states...



Which does beg the question, why agree to something you haven't read or are happy to ignore?


Scaff

It was a post typed up very quickly while my getting my 5 yr old ready for school. I'm 33 and pretty well educated, getting picked up on some very minor grammar issues in the manner it was will warrant such a response i'm afraid.
 
Seems the grammar police are busy these days.

Oops, I'm sorry.

It seems that the grammar police are busy these days.
 
Wow, people here really love their grammar, eh?

What is the purpose of these overly oppressive grammar rules? Did somebody use such bad grammar one day on these forums that the need to implement the Grammar Gestapo became absolutely necessary?

Yeah, and it´s not like he was writing like a 10 year old. Overreacting much?

Seems the grammar police are busy these days.

Oops, I'm sorry.

It seems that the grammar police are busy these days.

The rules are in place for a very good reason.

We do not want GT Planet to turn into the rest of the internet, the bulk of which is filled with forums that contain posts that are often illegible, information buried in a mass of text-speak and devoid of grammar.

By requiring a good basic standard of grammar, and let be honest we are talking basic here, it helps in two main ways.

We find that it does help to promote valid and reasonable discussion, rather than a mess of noise. Secondly, as a global site we have members from all over the world, text-speak and poor grammar can cause major issues as far as reading a second language goes.

Now we do not expect all our members to either agree or understand these reasons, but what we do expect them to do if follow the rules. Many of us are very busy, I often type while getting my own kids ready for school or pop a message up on my phone on the way to a meeting (this is not my day job I do this for the love of the site), yet I still manage to keep the the AUP.

We ask no more of members that we ask of ourselves, but should any of you find that you are not able to do so, then I would respectfully suggest that GT Planet is not the place for you.

Oh and comments regarding Nazi's because we ask for good basic grammar is unwarranted. If you can't comment with being abusive then again you will find you are not welcome here.

Keep in mind that you agreed to follow the AUP when you joined GT Planet, so I once again would ask: Why agree to something you haven't read or have no intention of following?

I would also state that you can't do either of these things and then be surprised when you are asked to follow those rules.


Scaff
 
The rules are in place for a very good reason.

We do not want GT Planet to turn into the rest of the internet, the bulk of which is filled with forums that contain posts that are often illegible, information buried in a mass of text-speak and devoid of grammar.

By requiring a good basic standard of grammar, and let be honest we are talking basic here, it helps in two main ways.

We find that it does help to promote valid and reasonable discussion, rather than a mess of noise. Secondly, as a global site we have members from all over the world, text-speak and poor grammar can cause major issues as far as reading a second language goes.

Now we do not expect all our members to either agree or understand these reasons, but what we do expect them to do if follow the rules. Many of us are very busy, I often type while getting my own kids ready for school or pop a message up on my phone on the way to a meeting (this is not my day job I do this for the love of the site), yet I still manage to keep the the AUP.

We ask no more of members that we ask of ourselves, but should any of you find that you are not able to do so, then I would respectfully suggest that GT Planet is not the place for you.

Oh and comments regarding Nazi's because we ask for good basic grammar is unwarranted. If you can't comment with being abusive then again you will find you are not welcome here.

Keep in mind that you agreed to follow the AUP when you joined GT Planet, so I once again would ask: Why agree to something you haven't read or have no intention of following?

I would also state that you can't do either of these things and then be surprised when you are asked to follow those rules.


Scaff

That is all well and true, but the minor mistakes in the OP do not justify the response. At least that´s the way I see it. If you think this thread warrants a super moderator to reply, then this forum really is not so bad.

If an "i" instead of an "I" is an issue here, well, then it can´t be so bad, can it?

Anyhow this thread is not about grammar. I have heard about the stealth jag issue, and I think that it´s a shame that you can´t use the car. Seems like something the guys at PD haven´t thought through.
 
That is all well and true, but the minor mistakes in the OP do not justify the response. At least that´s the way I see it. If you think this thread warrants a super moderator to reply, then this forum really is not so bad.
Would you rather the member got a formal warning that would remain on their membership record rather than a quick heads-up in thread?

I'm fairly certain that if I was the member in question a quick heads up would be the preferable option.



If an "i" instead of an "I" is an issue here, well, then it can´t be so bad, can it?
The thread title is still subject to the AUP, and given that its visible on the thread lists, ensuring it meets the AUP rather important.

Why can't I use my Jaguar XJ13 racecar

That would be three errors, not a single uncapitalized I.

Also on a quick review of the members posting history, it shows that this is not an isolated incident. Given that, I'm actually a little surprised a formal warning wasn't given. Famine must be in a good mood today.

Anyhow this thread is not about grammar. I have heard about the stealth jag issue, and I think that it´s a shame that you can´t use the car. Seems like something the guys at PD haven´t thought through.
No this is not a thread about grammar, however look at it this way, it only became one because the AUP was not followed. It only became a bigger issue when members chose to inform the staff how they think the site should be run.

The staff reacted to the issue, we did not cause the issue.


Scaff
 
Last edited:
Wow, just wow! I could understand all this if the OP had posted in teenage text speak or something similar, but it was a tiny, tiny grammatical error which made no difference what so ever to his post.


Back to the point of the OP. Yeah i found that problem too, kind of frustrating. I wanted to complete my events and just need a racecar for that event and the Formula GT for another. Frustrating when the car is exactly what you need except they didn't stamp a date on it.
 
Its the same issue with the Mazda Furai Concept in the MR challenge. It clearly is a MR car, just not stamped as such.
 
Would you rather the member got a formal warning that would remain on their membership record rather than a quick heads-up in thread?

Why can't I use my Jaguar XJ13 racecar

That would be three errors, not a single uncapitalized I.

Also on a quick review of the members posting history, it shows that this is not an isolated incident. Given that, I'm actually a little surprised a formal warning wasn't given. Famine must be in a good mood today.
Scaff

Wow, I am a little lost for words. A formal warning because of that? Not a single incident? Honestly, if this is the position of the forum moderators than I really have to reconsider going back to reading only. Or quitting completely.

Seriously, I mean really seriously, this is something that you as a moderator consider a reason for a formal warning?

Wow, just wow... (I am sorry, I know that this is not a complete sentence. I accept my punishment...)
 
Wow, just wow! I could understand all this if the OP had posted in teenage text speak or something similar, but it was a tiny, tiny grammatical error which made no difference what so ever to his post.

I'm sorry but I thought I was quite clear on this, we don't necessarily expect you to agree with the rules, but we do expect you to follow them

I will be blunt (because to be quite honest my patience has been rather tested on this) if you do not agree with the rule then do not post here. If you intend to post here then follow the rules, we do not need this constant chatter. Your disbelief and/or disagreement is not going to see the rules change.

The AUP does not differentiate at all between one mistake or many, but as I have already rather clearly pointed out (and had you read my posts would be aware of) the member in question has a posting history that is littered with lazy grammar. A point I'm quite sure he is now over the moon with you for repeatedly making me drag back up to have to re-state.


Wow, I am a little lost for words. A formal warning because of that? Not a single incident? Honestly, if this is the position of the forum moderators than I really have to reconsider going back to reading only. Or quitting completely.

Seriously, I mean really seriously, this is something that you as a moderator consider a reason for a formal warning?

Wow, just wow... (I am sorry, I know that this is not a complete sentence. I accept my punishment...)

Once again

The AUP does not differentiate at all between one mistake or many, but as I have already rather clearly pointed out (and had you read my posts would be aware of) the member in question has a posting history that is littered with lazy grammar. A point I'm quite sure he is now over the moon with you for repeatedly making me drag back up to have to re-state.


This thread gets back on topic now, and that is not a request its an instruction, keep this part of the AUP in mind with regard to that:

AUP
You will, if asked by a representative of the forums, cease posting any content.

Ignoring that is worthly of a formal warning and/or infraction, and I will be blunt gents, the attitude is doing you no favours at all.


Scaff
 
It was a post typed up very quickly while my getting my 5 yr old ready for school.

You took the time to communicate. Take the time to do it right.

I'm 33 and pretty well educated, getting picked up on some very minor grammar issues in the manner it was will warrant such a response i'm afraid.

You're not allowed exemption from the rules through age or education, nor time constraints. Remember, this is a stated rule too:

AUP
Decent grammar is expected at all times, including proper usage of capital letters.

Since the question is answered and the thread is now devolving into "let's have our say on rules we said we agreed to but don't actually", it's now locked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back