Why do people cheat in video games?

• Thread starter Fury
  • 17 comments
Sounds like you are too.

If you get that upset over a reaction emoji, don't log on, for your own sake.
To be frank, I've been on GTP since 2006 and this site used to be a lot more civil and constructive before the fakebook/reddit/insta style reaction emojis got added.

If you like a post or someone is particularly helpful, you have to reply. Even saying "thanks" or "didn't know that before, that's helpful" means a lot. Conversely it's a lot harder to simp a post just because someone is a famous poster (not necessarily because you understood or agree with what has been said). I've seen mega essay posts made by a few prolific members get so many likes when I know most people who liked it probably didn't even finish reading the whole text. Often the same people who liked the automatic news article OP then ask a question in the thread when the answer clearly have been explained in that article itself.

There's also the ambiguous "haha" which sometimes I'm not sure if the person is being sarcastic, or they really found the post funny.

And of course the poo. Back in the day if you dislike a post you HAVE to type a reply. It takes effort. Even a one word reply is still more than just a click. More importantly, it always shows something about the person disliking the post and you can tailor your reply accordingly. It's one thing not liking a post because it gives a wrong info and you're going to correct it VS not liking a post because it's abrasive/abusive VS not liking a post just because you're biased against the poster. We still get multi page arguments but at least it's a slow build, and often self contained between 2 people. Now when you see a poo'd post, others are just so quick to dump more poo, and the situation escalates quickly. The person feel insulted, poos the others, and so on. It's just an easy "hit and run" tactic to stoke the fires of hate in a forum.

Anyway, I'm old. But the internet can be such full of hate and tribalism because it's anonymous, we don't need to facilitate it even more. GTP used to be a reasonably safe haven but some subforums with lower average age are just devolving into mindless social media cesspool now. You told him not to logon if he can't handle an emoji, well maybe if you can't be bothered to type even a one sentence reply you should just stick to other social media instead of a forum. This is a place of discussion, not hot takes and overreaction.

-------------

As for the thread topic. I don't know off the top of my head what a decent GT-One laptime around Spa in GT6 is. If it's fully tuned with RS tyres it's not gonna be realistic anyway (let alone with GT6 physics which is often faster than real life). The driver is a known fast driver and the lap looks clean. It's sad that OP chose to dig up a random lap video from 6 years ago to prove his point. We know hybriding exists in these games, and when online was still available I couldn't recall an instance of cheating. Now the game is offline anything is fair game. It doesn't harm anyone.

As for why people cheat in video games, same reason why people cheat their way to any result. They want the fastest and easiest route to victory/riches/power/whatever. If you care that much about winning, join them. If everyone cheats the playing field is levelled. If you care more about integrity, then just ignore them and compare yourself to others who do not cheat. GT games have always been good at anti cheat measures so I'm not worried. Occasionally there are egregious track limit loopholes but PD has always been quick to rectify them in GTS/7. We have lots of fast drivers who watch each others' replays so anybody doing anything fishy will get noticed very quickly. And once again, this doesn't apply to the older games where mods and hybriding exists. It's all just in the name of fun and experimentation.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are too.

If you get that upset over a reaction emoji, don't log on, for your own sake.
Seems like a weird reaction for a harmlmess legitimate question. I also saw nothing wrong with the video, and that's likely due to not knowing the cars at all. How hard is it to simply answer a question?

@LeGeNd-1 Another old school message boarder actually replying rather than simply hitting the thumbs up to agree with you, just to say I agree. I do give a thumbs up when I like or agree with something but wouldn't miss the feature. One board I frequent features anonymous downvoting and has gone from a great place to very toxic.

Excuse me?

This guy literally couldn't handle a poo reaction, goes on to make a scene about it, and accuses me of being 6 and pathetic.

I didn't know a poo reaction required a reply. I don't owe anything, and if I did, we might as well ask the other countless poo reacters to explain themselves as well.

Very well, if you actually insist...I'm 28.
I'd like to present you with: If you get that upset over simply disagreeing, don't log on, for your own sake.

Its more of the fact that it was such a simple question on something that was easily missed given the video, for those that don't know at all. Didn't realize it was that hard to address the question. For someone that goes around and constantly acts like the resident jokester on the forum, you sure can't handle people calling you on it. Also, I didnt ask you your age.

Last edited:
Also, I didnt ask you your age.
Thanks for clarifying.

Edit: Even weirder to try to get back at me through edits...but if you don't see the reason behind the edits, then I'd heavily recommend on finding a mirror and looking at it.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you're using my words against me, that says a lot.

But I'd rather not milk this any further, for the thread's sake.
Why shouldn't the things you say be held against you? I don't understand that notion. If you don't want to be held accountable for the things you say, don't say them?

EDIT: weird to back track on all that, good thing quotes still show the original posts I suppose.

Last edited:
He certainly loves his poo emoji, for a 26 yr old it’s a bit strange.. I asked a simple question then get told not to log on if it upsets me so much 😂 it’ll take more than a poo emoji to rattle this hairy arsed 50+yr old Welshman

He certainly loves his poo emoji, for a 26 yr old it’s a bit strange.. I asked a simple question then get told not to log on if it upsets me so much 😂 it’ll take more than a poo emoji to rattle this hairy arsed 50+yr old Welshman
Hey, he's 28 alright! He told me so even though I didnt ask. At least someone actually responded with more videos, though those are extremely clear compared to the original post even if you don't have knowledge of the cars.

Even more so, all the comments in the video itself also don't seem to be aware that it's supposedly a hybrid. I'm wondering if it even is in the first place and just boils down to individual skill within the game, and all that (edited)nonsense spewed was actually for nothing.

As for the topic. I don't mind cheating in games after I finish the story of them, but that's strictly speaking about offline games.

Last edited:
If it's online, its 100% awful and shouldn't be allowed, ever. if its offline, meh, who cares. Let people have fun with the game however they want to. I'm glad the PS3 GT5/GT6 online hybridding is behind us.

Jerome

Back