Why does Gran Turismo not have updated cars like Forza?

What top 3 manufacture's cars are you most looking forward to in GT7?

• AMG

• McLaren

• Ferrari

• Lamborghini

• Bugatti

• Pagani

• Koenigsegg

• Aston Martin

• Porsche

• Rimac

• Pininfarina

• SSC

Results are only viewable after voting.
That sounds like an oddly specific criteria. Does the LaFerrari not deserve to be counted for some reason?

a) there haven't been any Ferrari halo cars released since the LaFerrari, so...
b) the LaFerrari itself is 7 years old
c) I only bring up the 458 as GTS launched 2 years after its successor (488) was released, yet...nothing

a) there haven't been any Ferrari halo cars released since the LaFerrari, so...
b) the LaFerrari itself is 7 years old
c) I only bring up the 458 as GTS launched 2 years after its successor (488) was released, yet...nothing
I thought the SF90 was meant to be the successor to the LaFerrari?

Last edited:
I thought the SF90 was meant to be the successor to the LaFerrari?

The SF90 is a normal series production car - not heavily limited like all other Ferrari halo cars. You also don’t have to go through all those hoops to buy one like you did with the LaFerrari (i.e. having to own multiple Ferraris, being personally picked for the opportunity to buy)

That sounds like an oddly specific criteria. Does the LaFerrari not deserve to be counted for some reason?
Well I assume he's referring to that specific line of models that Ferrari themselves consider to be successive.

348 > 355 > 360 > 430 > 458 > 488 > F8

Hopefully GT7 launches with both the 488 and F8.

Last edited:
Well I assume he's referring to that specific line of models that Ferrari themselves consider to be successive.

348 > 355 > 360 > 430 > 458 > 488 > F8

Hopefully GT7 launches with both the 488 and F8.
I'd be content even without the F8, as what I really want is all the Ferraris from the PS3 era to return (Including the F2007 and F10, though if licensing gets in the way, I'd begrudgingly accept that.) and especially the SP1. As for Ferrari models that'd be new to GT, I really want the F12berlinetta and the FF - I think that's more realistic than expecting much more contemporary models, including the F8, GTC4lusso, and 812 Superfast. But I'd also like some older models, too, perhaps such as the 360, 550, and the much older designs from the 60s and 70s, where Pininfarina really solidified their relationship with Ferrari. God, I love Pininfarina. Never seen a bad design by them.

EDIT: Also to note, I'd love for some sort of way for Ferrari to be in Gr.1. Now, this would be very much in the future, but if Ferrari really does get back into prototype racing, then we could see that car be a good fit for Gr.1. The only other idea would be if Ferrari wanted to come onboard to the VGT project, and happened to create a VGT that'd be a good fit for Gr.1. I mean, I think we've seen some brands walk off the project while others come in out of left field, so who knows?

Last edited:
For each car added to Forza (like the C8 in Forza Horizon), there is a missing car in GT. I'd love to see the C8 in GT7 but where are the C1, C4, C5...? I guess it's cheaper for Poly to add an old model than the latest supercar. I want to be optimistic, though Poly can't keep pace with other racing games when it comes to supercars. 458 Italia...

I think Forza still have old Mazdas. Nothing up to date. No doubt an RX-3 would be more popular than a 2015 Atenza, but they do leave out some newer models from different brands.
It's probably harder for PD to locate older cars, as I've heard old cars aren't mundane in Japan. Newer cars should be easier to obtain for scanning. Other than licencing, it can't be hard to gain access to all 2018-2020 Japanese brands, Italian and German sports cars, in Japan. I've mentioned before, there's got to be something about the decisions PD make, about what cars to put in the game. It can't just be about licencing or finding a car to scan. BAd decision making? I don't know.

At year of debut and three years later, this is what we got. The EF7 could be added, but I haven't checked to see if any have been built.
ErQzoSeVEAEigld

Last edited:
I would be a bit surprised if we don't see more recent models in GT7, considering PD has both been expanding their offices and making more use of outsourcing. But I still would be content with plenty of other, older models being added and either being updated for GT7, or debuting in GT as a whole. For example, they could add the Ferrari 812 Superfast, but I'd be entirely content if they added its predecessor, the Ferrari F12berlinetta.

And keep in mind there's likely gonna be add-on content for GT7, too, as there's always been so since GT5. I bet it'll be free like in GT6 and GT Sport, as well, though I'd also imagine there will be microtransactions, as there hasn't been an online-capable GT game without them. Now that we've seen both buying credits in GT6 and buying the cars themselves in GT Sport, I wonder what strategy GT7 will take? Either of the two I just mentioned would certainly be superior to GT5's take, where you had to buy cars/tracks. Honestly, I think GTS did it best, where you could buy the cars directly, and also buy a singleplayer campaign event. Maybe we'll see more premium DLC like the Lewis Hamilton Challenge in GT7, where it doesn't affect the availability of cars/tracks. My only complaint with the LH Challenge, though, is that getting all-diamonds is nearly impossible - and I say this as someone who's already got all the golds with a few diamonds, haha! But really, getting all-golds was the perfect amount of difficulty for me. Anything more is just unbearable!

Last edited:
Could it be that the reason it takes so long to secure cars is because they're asking these companies to commit their cars to multiple games across many years, rather than just a per-game contract? You see, GT games are known for large car lists, but it takes time to build these cars for the game and, therefore, it takes time for the list to grow to a large size. So, in order to guarantee that the car lists of the following titles continue to grow, without fan favorites having to be dropped along the way, and the work done for them being left gathering dust, they try to secure more long-term deals.

This is just a thought I had the other day when I first noticed this thread.

I don't know. It's just the argument some players make about wasted assets.
Why model the 365GTB4, when the 488 could have been modelled? Why model th '02 Viper, when the new Challenger Hellcat could have been modelled? Why model the E30 M3, when the new M5 could have been modelled?

I gather it's harder to locate the older cars than new models readily available. Is the licencing process not a hurdle, when the car is privately owned? I don't know the details. I can guess it may be easier to just make a call out, to see who has what car. Similar to the Starion at a used car dealership. Might not need to contact Mitsubishi to put that specific car in the game.

Koenigsegg has been a strange omission for a while now. They've been in Forza since 2007 and pretty much every other racing game. One has to assume PD are aware of the brand and it's popularity so that leads you to believe it must be a licensing $ issue. Are Koenigsegg asking too much? Do PD want to pay below market price? We'll never know of course, but hopefully it's resolved for GT7.

they were fantastic fun in Driveclub :bowdown: :bowdown:

I would sign yesterday to ditch all Vision GT cars, and replace them with some real world cars.
I never take VGT to free runs, and have no interest in them, so now I am thinking to buy again GT6 to be able to drive all those normal cars we had before.
I hope that GT will return on old path with GT7

I would sign yesterday to ditch all Vision GT cars, and replace them with some real world cars.
I never take VGT to free runs, and have no interest in them, so now I am thinking to buy again GT6 to be able to drive all those normal cars we had before.
I hope that GT will return on old path with GT7

Vision GT cars can stay... but they should delete them from Group 1... And make normal LMP class/Group C class. It would be perfect.

And make normal LMP class/Group C class. It would be perfect.

Only way to make everyone happy is to split the whole class up. Have a feeling that people still wouldn’t be happy if you removed VGTs because they’d argue that Group C’s shouldn’t be racing modern LMP hybrids

Only way to make everyone happy is to split the whole class up. Have a feeling that people still wouldn’t be happy if you removed VGTs because they’d argue that Group C’s shouldn’t be racing modern LMP hybrids

The best solution would be to have more classes per car...

I mean
Group 1 which splits to: gr.C, LMP, vgt

The best solution would be to have more classes per car...

I mean
Group 1 which splits to: gr.C, LMP, vgt
I think it'd be better if we just had more races that restricted the eligible cars within a class, like how we have had some Daily Races in GT Sport where we could only use the Group C racers within Gr.1. I still think it's a good idea to include various prototype classes in Gr.1, and I'd also include stuff like DPi, WEC Hypercar, LMDh, IMSA GTP, LMGTP, and LMP900. Maybe even the late-90s GT1 cars, too, if they don't end up in Gr.2. I'd say that having an unorthodox and idiosyncratic group of cars in each class allows Gran Turismo to stand out a bit.

But I think it's equally important that PD finds a way to encourage players to use non-meta cars in each class, like those Daily Races that only permitted the Group C racers. One idea I had was to allow Gr.1 into the Manufacturers Series, or perhaps have a separate Manufacturers Series only for Gr.1, as I think many automakers could have Gr.1 representation at the rate we're going. Even Alfa Romeo could have a Gr.1 car by way of the SE 048SP.

I feel that splitting up Gr.1 into real-world LMPs, VGTs, Group C, etc. would just make things boring, when I think there are potential alternate solutions here that don't involve GT creating groups that are too similar to other racing games with similar cars, like Project CARS. I don't think we can make an appeal to realism - namely that Gr.1 as it is leads to unrealistic grids - when GT has had made-for-game concept cars since GT4 with the Nike One, and then we have Gr.3-tuned VGTs racing within that group in GT Sport, like those from Volkswagen and Toyota. You may as well break up Gr.3 into FIA GT3, GTE, and so on - and then you run the risk of disrupting the Manufacturers Series.

You may as well wish for Tesla to become a penny stock. Personally, I think VGTs help GT's car list to stick out from similar racing games, and I especially welcome them when they not only inspire real-world production cars - the Bugatti VGT does seem similar to the Chiron, for one example - but they also allow some automakers within GT to have representation within certain groups, like Hyundai does within Gr.1. I think there's plenty of room for both the VGTs and real-world cars, especially given that PD has both expanded their offices and has been using more outsourcing lately.

Last edited:
I agree to a certain extent but tbf Gran Turismo never really placed a pedestal on Super/Hypercars like say Forza does.

Out of the OP list the Lamborghini Vision GT I would say is pretty guaranteed to atleast be in GT7,

GT7 looks to hopefully be a change but it's too early to tell.

As far as the three manufactures I voted for McLaren, AMG and Porsche.

With the inclusion of the 911 GT1 and the McLaren F1 I can't see PD leaving the trinity unfinished without including the GTR but then again PD is pretty random so I wouldn't be surprised if they have literally every flagship AMG model but that one. Not to mention if they were able to find and scan a 911 GT1 which is actually even more rare than a GTR, they should have no problem finding a CLK to scan but it's not my game.

I agree to a certain extent but tbf Gran Turismo never really placed a pedestal on Super/Hypercars like say Forza does.

Out of the OP list the Lamborghini Vision GT I would say is pretty guaranteed to atleast be in GT7,

GT7 looks to hopefully be a change but it's too early to tell.

As far as the three manufactures I voted for McLaren, AMG and Porsche.

With the inclusion of the 911 GT1 and the McLaren F1 I can't see PD leaving the trinity unfinished without including the GTR but then again PD is pretty random so I wouldn't be surprised if they have literally every flagship AMG model but that one. Not to mention if they were able to find and scan a 911 GT1 which is actually even more rare than a GTR, they should have no problem finding a CLK to scan but it's not my game.
Yeah, the CLK-GTR road car would be fantastic, as well as the late-90s racing versions of the F1, CLK-GTR, and the 911 GT1.

With the news of that new Toyota LMP, the GR010, I wonder if it'd be worth adding to the GT series, or if it'd potentially be redundant? I personally would include the TS030, TS050, TS020, the new GR010, and even the older TS010 as far as Gr.1 Toyota models go, and eventually include the racing version of the Gazoo SuperSports along with it. And as notable as it is, I'm not sure if we'd truly need the version of the TS050 that won Le Mans, although then again, we do have two versions of the Audi R18 - and indeed, there are some years between the 2016 TS050 and the LM24-winning incarnation.

Yeah, I'd say six would be a healthy maximum as far as Gr.1 Toyota racers go, but not any more. I don't think, for example, we need two Group C Toyota models in the form of both the TS010 and the 88C-V. Meanwhile, more contemporary prototypes for other automakers could be added, even if they already have a Gr.1 car, if only so that they have more options, like the Nissan OnRoak DPi, or that Mazda DPi.

Last edited:
There doesn't need to be a maximum of any group. We've got four Gr.3 choices in BMW. It'd depend on what PD and insert Manufacturer want to include.

PD have been behind the ball for a while when it comes to new cars. Ever since GT5, new cars have been few and far between compared to the likes of Forza, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars. I don't what their process is but it's not working very well. I understand that there are some old cars which we need, but it shouldn't take a backseat to the new stuff. Lots of really obvious vehicles have been missed and this issue needs to be addressed urgently, not in 3 years time. I want GT7 to have a comprehensive collection of new cars but I'm not confident.

For sure. Hyundai have been in the franchise since GT3(?). I bet a Veloster turbo, would have worked out better than an old Genesis Coupe.
That's why I mentioned before about their process. There is something in the decision making that halts up to date cars. For whatever reason.

Again, GTS was to come out 2016(no car was older than model year 2009[Lotus Evora]). For the most part, we got up to date 2015 & 2016 cars. 2017 rolls around and we got a few 2017 cars. Then, instead of more new year models, we got classics and early GT era cars. I'm sure many of us welcome those cars, but what could have been, with more 2017 and 2018 models in the extra 168 car count.

Last edited:
I don't what their process is but it's not working very well. I understand that there are some old cars which we need, but it shouldn't take a backseat to the new stuff.

It's not Polyphony's fault that large amount of new cars released today aren't very interesting... but then because of that, one could argue that's even less of a reason for PD to be slacking in the new cars department. There isn't that many to choose from, so why aren't the few and far between not getting added? I think we should wait till we see the launch car list for GT7 till we really start criticizing PD's process. I just hope they never get to the point of Forza, by just adding whatever the 'flavor of the week' hypercar is to the game.

There are plenty up to date interesting cars that aren't hyper cars. Mazda's line up are "new" 2015 passenger cars and a sports car. Ford with the 2015 Mustang GT and '17 Ford GT(finally). BMW i3 and M4(which was in GT6, but still up to date).

370Z is missing, from GT6, but we get an old 350Z. That clearly doesn't make sense. One "new" year Dodge.
Been so long, I can't recall the complete car list on debut. As in, how many were new(2015-2017), compared to older than 2010.

In GT are some strange decidions about cars that are included in game.
We got 2008 Swift Sport, and in the meantime Suzuki launched 2 new generations.
We get 2 Clio EDC, but they didn't return Clio 200 Cup from GT6 , last Renault's proper hot hatch (N/A and manual).
No Miata NC, and we had premium in GT6.
We got 2005 Cooper S, and we had next generation model in GT6.

I hope that GT7 will return on the right path...

Because pd is not dedicated to updating them..

This is right. The question is, why?

First, licensing is not the reason. Yes, PD need to license cars but GT is the largest selling racing game in the world, with the exception of perhaps Mario Kart. They have the money and the brand to make it happen. If you doubt they can get people to collaborate with them, check out that driver they collaborated with... what's his name again... something like Lewis? Lol. And of course all the Vision cars are another great example.

PD is fanatical on car models at this point. That makes them slow. Most of the DLC cars were probably scheduled for production before GT Sport launched. I think we have to remember that the GTS car list is pretty fantastic. It covers a huge range of tastes. The holes in the list were never going to be filled completely by dlc. They chose to save content for GT7.

Back