Why does Gran Turismo not have updated cars like Forza?

What top 3 manufacture's cars are you most looking forward to in GT7?

• AMG

• McLaren

• Ferrari

• Lamborghini

• Bugatti

• Pagani

• Koenigsegg

• Aston Martin

• Porsche

• Rimac

• Pininfarina

• SSC

Results are only viewable after voting.
iClique
I know Gran Turismo Sport came out way before Forza Horizon 4 but GT Sport has been updating all this same time yet all their cars are really outdated. GT Sport doesn't have the Jesko nor even the McLaren Senna.

I sure hope GT7 has all the hyper cars released in recent years, but from looking at lists so far it doesn't seem so.

Some favorites I'm hoping make the GT7 list:
AMG Project One
McLaren Senna
McLaren Elva
McLaren 765LT
McLaren Sabre
Lamborghini Sian Roadster
Lamborghini Vision Gran Turismo
Bugatti Divo
Pininfarina Battista
SSC Tuatara
Koenigsegg Jesko
Koenigsegg Gemera
Aston Martin Valkyrie
Ferrari SF90 Stradale

Forza-Horizon-4-Koenigsegg-Jesko-600x338.jpg

2021-Lamborghini-Sian-Roadster-010-2160.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 12.25.05 PM.png

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 14
Why does Gran Turismo not have updated cars like Forza?
Licensing.

Either PD don't want (or don't want to pay for) to license them, or the car manufacturers don't want or aren't interested in licensing them to PD.

Pretty sure that the Lamborghini Vision Gran Turismo will be in GT7 though, given that it's a Vision Gran Turismo car.

Licensing.

Either PD don't want (or don't want to pay for) to license them, or the car manufacturers don't want or aren't interested in licensing them to PD.

Pretty sure that the Lamborghini Vision Gran Turismo will be in GT7 though, given that it's a Vision Gran Turismo car.

Yes I agree with you to some extent for manufacturers that aren't in the game, but most of these are. For example, we've got McLaren in GT Sport but no Senna, no 720S, no Elva, etc. and we've got Bugatti but no Divo. Same with Ferrari and Lamborghini too!

Yes I agree with you to some extent for manufacturers that aren't in the game, but most of these are. For example, we've got McLaren in GT Sport but no Senna, no 720S, no Elva, etc. and we've got Bugatti but no Divo. Same with Ferrari and Lamborghini too!
It still applies. Licensing agreements are often highly specific, and licensing one car does not give free rein to all others. Some brands may even have given exclusivity for a single model to another game, making it impossible to license even if you can get hold of everything else.

It still applies. Licensing agreements are often highly specific, and licensing one car does not give free rein to all others. Some brands may even have given exclusivity for a single model to another game, making it impossible to license even if you can get hold of everything else.

Yes, you're right that is true! That's probably why GT Sport is all older cars and Forza Horizon has more newer cars from the same manufacturers. Forza is the only reason I bought an Xbox, and the only game I play on Xbox everything else I play on my Playstation. And now that I bought a Playstation 5, I hope I don't have to buy the Xbox Series X just to experience the most up to date cars.

Its potentially cost, a lot of the cars added to GT Sport were updated models from GT6 which were likely to be covered by existing licensing agreements.

With the scope of GT Sport being different to previous mainstream GT games one possibility is that they preferred to focus mostly on existing licenses rather than new ones.

I know Gran Turismo Sport came out way before Forza Horizon 4 but GT Sport has been updating all this same time yet all their cars are really outdated. GT Sport doesn't have the Jesko nor even the McLaren Senna.

I sure hope GT7 has all the hyper cars released in recent years, but from looking at lists so far it doesn't seem so.

Some favorites I'm hoping make the GT7 list:
AMG Project One
McLaren Senna
McLaren Elva
McLaren 765LT
McLaren Sabre
Lamborghini Vision Gran Turismo
Bugatti Divo
Pininfarina Battista
SSC Tuatara
Koenigsegg Jesko
Koenigsegg Gemera
Aston Martin Valkyrie
Ferrari SF90 Stradale
Yes:
Lamborghini VGT

Strong Possibilty:
McLaren Senna
Ferrari SF-90

Maybe:
Bugatti Divo
Koenigsegg Jesko
Aston Martin Valkyrie
AMG Project One

Forget it:
Pinninfarina Battista
Koenigsegg Gemera
SSC Tuatara
McLaren Elva
McLaren Sabre
McLaren 765LT

Last edited:
If you are referring to the low amount of exotics in GT, It doesn't really make sense for Polyphony to go through the effort of adding a new exotic every time one is revealed when such a large portion of the player base will only ever have the money to buy low - mid range sport cars. It makes sense for the Horizon series because of how easy and fast you can earn money in those games. When very few players will realistically get to the point of affording the exotics, why add so many? Makes much more sense to continue to develop more mid-range cars that most of the player base will reside in.

On the topic of GT's content updates compared to Horizon, I think PD did a great job at this before the regular content updates for the game ended so more focus could be put behind GT7. As far as I'm aware as a Horizon player myself, consistently getting 4 cars per month + a track is a better flow of new content than Horizon has ever had if you don't count the paid DLC packs.

Last edited:
AMG, Ferrari, Bugatti for me. The first two manufacturers need updated cars for FIA Championships, as their Group 4 cars are out of date. AMG needs the AMG GT in Group 4 form, which is already in road form, and Ferrari needs the F8 Tributo or at the very least, the 488 for Group 4, since the F8 Tributo is the current V8 Ferrari model, and while the 488 is out of production now, it was the latest model when GT Sport was launched. Bugatti is next, easily because of the Chiron; it is the fruit of the Vision GT project, and GT should be proud of it. That said, I think GT titles should reinforce the low-mid end lineup, in some cases even with some redundancy, not the top end hypercar lineup. Dumping money like crazy would make the game lose the sense of 'progression'. What's fun if you can obtain a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 '09 without much effort?

If you are referring to the low amount of exotics in GT, It doesn't really make sense for Polyphony to go through the effort of adding a new exotic every time one is revealed when such a large portion of the player base will only ever have the money to buy low - mid range sport cars.

It makes sense for the Horizon series because of how easy and fast you can earn money in those games. When very few players will realistically get to the point of affording the exotics, why add so many? Makes much more sense to continue to develop more mid-range cars that most of the player base will reside in.

..and you don't think the stingy payouts is the actual problem there? Supercars and hypercars are always going to be one of the most desirable types of cars in any game, because they're so desirable yet unreachable for most in real life. Kids don't hang posters of Ford Focus' and Toyota Corolla's on their walls.

Besides, all the 10 and 20 million cars they added as DLC rather weaken that theory.

Last edited:
Licensing.

Correct answer.

Production timelines are another reason. Sometimes you could want a car and have an agreement in principle, but not get valid enough reference data (like access to a real car to scan or record).

Also, depending on the game just because a car isn’t playable now doesn’t mean it isn’t confirmed. A car can take 6-9 months of man hours to make and publishers schedule releases way in advance. Normally by the time a game is announced *all* of its release and DLC cars are practically locked in, even if they’re years away.

At this point I think Koenigsegg vehicles are becoming highly-requested by many players (myself included), so I don't see any reasons why Polyphony shouldn't include them for GT7, because they're in more modern racing games nowadays, such as Project CARS 3.

If in Gran Turismo 5, where Ferrari was the most-anticipated manufacturer, and Porsche in Sport, then in 7, it has to be Koenigsegg.

Especially with many supercars/hypercars being so highly-desirable nowadays, Polyphony can't just simply ignore them, despite a disturbingly low amount of them (only ever having examples such as the Aston Martin Vulcan, Bugatti Veyron 16.4, Ferrari LaFerrari, Lamborghini Veneno, Pagani Huayra, to name a few that are actually N-class vehicles).

And the reason as shown on the title is because of how long it takes to model a car, around roughly six months from scratch, modeled in-house by Polyphony (can take up to a year if it's a fictional racing variant of an existing car).

Their manpower is also another factor, as it was once said by Kaz that there are roughly 200 employees working for Polyphony, and a fraction of that could likely be the car modeling team. Forza, on the other hand, thanks to Turn Ten and Playground, have a considerably larger manpower.

If all the cars we got back in 2018 were all modeled in-house (except for the Honda S660), we can assume that Polyphony has around 50 people in their modeling department (remember, it takes six months for one individual person to model one car).

In theory, I think that most of the PS3 premiums might have needed some proper polishing to meet up with the game's quality standards, not to mention the new sound technology as well.

Polyphony have recently started outsourcing, but we don't know how much to what extent they are doing so (we only know they're outsourcing two firms, one in their native Japan and one in India), but hopefully this could see an increased production of cars for GT7.

Only three cars we've gotten in GT Sport have been known to be outsourced so far (the Honda S660, Toyota Tundra TRD Pro and Porsche 911 Carrera RS Club Sport), the latter of which has been said to be completed in three months as opposed to the usual six.

Licensing could also be another issue, which can always be a pain in the ass for developers.

Last edited:
Koenigsegg has been a strange omission for a while now. They've been in Forza since 2007 and pretty much every other racing game. One has to assume PD are aware of the brand and it's popularity so that leads you to believe it must be a licensing $ issue. Are Koenigsegg asking too much? Do PD want to pay below market price? We'll never know of course, but hopefully it's resolved for GT7.

..and you don't think the stingy payouts is the actual problem there? Supercars and hypercars are always going to be one of the most desirable types of cars in any game, because they're so desirable yet unreachable for most in real life. Kids don't hang posters of Ford Focus' and Toyota Corolla's on their walls.

I didn't really mean for what I said to sound like my actual opinion for what cars they should add, it's more just a theory for how PD chooses their cars based on their history over the years. I don't think adding brand new exotics makes sense, but the reason I feel that way because they should focus on the cars fans actually ask for. The 'newness' of the cars should be irrelevant.

As for the economy, I agree that the economy should be overhauled, but we both have different opinions on how they should do that. I actually gave my full thoughts on the economy on this post, and then you even agreed with what I said in the comments.

As for Supercars and Hypercars being more desirable, I get that. Though, it has never really been Gran Turismo's thing to add the newest-of-newest of cars without much of a legacy or some type of cult following tied to it. That's not the way I would necessarily do it, but that's how it seems to be done. Only times they do add brand new, freshly unveiled cars when its an obvious promotion for a manufacturer like Toyota (like the Yaris in GTS, or 86 GT in GT5).

You mentioned the adding a Koenigsegg, I agree. I'm super surprised the 2010 Koenigsegg hasn't been added yet, as that model is pretty iconic now, and would fit in the game well as a hypercar.

Kids don't hang posters of Ford Focus' and Toyota Corolla's on their walls.

I wouldn't say that. I know you said you don't own GT Sport, but believe it or not, a majority of open lobbies are usually some form of track day lobbies for 'JDM CARS ONLY' as the titles of the room says. Which isn't a surprise, the older Gran Turismo's had a pretty large impact on the JDM scene outside of Japan.

Besides, all the 10 and 20 million cars they added as DLC rather weaken that theory.

No it doesn't. It's typical of them to have unicorn cars in all their games. They have added a hand full of Le Man's racecars, and now hopefully they don't add too many more unless its cars highly requested by fans, like the 917 in GT7. If they are going to add more 'unicorns' (hopefully they actually improve the economy before even thinking about adding more), I would love to see them diversify them. Vintage F1, Indycars and 1970's Can-Am cars come to mind.

Last edited:
I think GT has usually been thorough with modeling cars, perhaps to a fault, but I think we could see a lot more recent models given that PD has both expanded their offices and been using more outsourcing.

The older I get the less I care about Super/Hyper cars. Their implementation into GT games even less so over the years (driving them always feels like eating a water biscuit without any cheese or chutney on it). I didn't bother voting in this one. If the Jesko or Senna were added to the game I doubt it would even make me put the disk back into the PS4.

To this day the car I have been most excited about seeing in a Game was the Saxo VTS in GT2. I had a Saxo and I was 19 and it was in a game and it blew my mind. I almost died when I found out you could turn it into to the Kit Car version as well. Good times. Now PD if you just add the 2009 Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel to GT7 :cheers:.

The older I get the less I care about Super/Hyper cars. Their implementation into GT games even less so over the years (driving them always feels like eating a water biscuit without any cheese or chutney on it). I didn't bother voting in this one. If the Jesko or Senna were added to the game I doubt it would even make me put the disk back into the PS4.

I think the 'mid range' supers feel pretty good if you keep them Stock, put Sports Softs on them (which should be the default tire for super cars) and use traction control with the cars that were definitely intended to be driven with it, like the SLR and 2017 Ford GT.

Cars like the LaFerrari Aventador LP 750-4 are just ridiculous. Super numb, and borderline uncontrollable without racing tires and a good setup. If it's borderline impossible to drive without so many specifics, what's the point? Might as well go play a real driving sim instead at that point. Pretty concerned that any more highrange hyper cars added will have similar issues.

Remember when GT6 had a few new Mercedes models cut due to Licensing if I recall, an A class, C class and E class?

You shouldnt forget, Forza has Microsoft behind itself, worlds leading computer tech company. They pays in Last time so much for xbox game studios, thats enermous.
If Microsoft would, they certainley could get PlayStation to their own..

Last edited:
You shouldnt forget, Forza has Microsoft behind itself, worlds leading computer tech company. They pays in Last time so much for xbox game studios, thats enermous.
If Microsoft would, they certainley could get PlayStation to their own..

Don't quite get that, as Microsoft can only pull so many manufacturers and their licensed cars into Forza. But need I remind you that "SONY Entertainment" also pulled the leg-work with Evolution Studios to get cars into DRIVECLUB and that is an 6+year old game now, Polyphony Digital and Gran Turismo 7 is a flagship title, so they can try their best and work their legal/rights muscles and get more cars in the game.

DC even had W motors Lykan, never seen in GT games. :sly: Pagani's are missed too.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo seems to have an affinity for "legacy" car brands like Ferrari, Chevrolet, Mercedes, Nissan, Honda, Ford and Porsche. These brands understand what people want and the huge appeal their cars have. They don't ask for absurd loyalties like Glickenhaus; they obviously have pretty fair asking prices which PD jumps on. They're more discerning with the prices compared to Forza - they want a fair deal, not just any deal. Yes, we want these boutique manufacturers to come on board but it may not be worth the money. In my opinion, PD are better off adding fan favourite vehicles that people can feasibly access and drive themselves. They have a stronger connection to the average enthusiast and will please a lot of people. That is the core of Gran Turismo.

Last edited:
ZEE
Don't quite get that, as Microsoft can only pull so many manufacturers and their licensed cars into Forza. But need I remind you that "SONY Entertainment" also pulled the leg-work with Evolution Studios to get cars into DRIVECLUB and that is an 6+year old game now, Polyphony Digital and Gran Turismo 7 is a flagship title, so they can try their best and work their legal/rights muscles and get more cars in the game.

DC even had W motors Lykan, never seen in GT games. :sly: Pagani's are missed too.

I think that W Motors Lykan is entirely unneeded, it's just a toy tailor-made for Saudi oil princes. On the other hand, I'd love to see more Pagani models return, and I think that's likely given how I think we saw a Zonda F getting scanned. But that said, I can't think of much else they could add for Pagani aside from the older Zonda F - maybe the Zonda Cinque? I'd say I'm otherwise quite content with the base Huayra and the Zonda R. Just gimmie that Zonda F and I'd say that's enough for me, and anything else would just be a nice bonus.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I'd love to see more Pagani models return, and I think that's likely given how I think we saw a Zonda F getting scanned.
As far as I'm aware, the Zonda F was used for the recording of the engine sound used in the Zonda R.

Last edited:
Even with the original fan favourite brands, we still don't have many updated cars from those brands.

Three's a partnership with Toyota. We didn't have to wait til 2021 to get new cars. We got 2019 and 2020 models.

Mazda are a partner. We still have old model cars. At least a 2019 Mazda3 diesel could have been added. Plus, the new Mazda3 Turbo and MX-5 RF.

Newest Chevy we have, is the '18 Camaro. I think it's had a couple face lifts from 2018-2020.

Newest Ford, '17 GT.

Old Aston Martins.

TVR been here since the beginning. Could have been given the latest defunct model.

Honda. '17 NSX. S660 is a fresh addition - happy with it. '16 NSX GT500. Still, no new(2018-2020) Civic Type R. Must be easy to scan one of those.

We got the '17 GT-Rs. So, that's fine, but no up to date 370Z/Nismo Z.

Old Subarus(the '17 drift car and Mitsubishis.

Dodge been a Day One brand. We're given the Charger, but no up to date Challenger?

I can understand not getting those popular supercars and hypercars, but if Gran Turismo are known for the everyday accessible cars, we're not getting new ones from every brand. That's the least we should be getting.

To reiterate from what Kaz mentioned about GTS being the new start to the next gen of GT, maybe those "legacy" cars, were put in GTS for that reason. That's cool, but other than the backlash from players, PD could have just modelled new cars from each brand.

Last edited:
Kaz is deathly allergic to most modern supercars, don’t you know

2021 and the most recent mid engined V8 Ferrari featured in game is the 458. A car that is literally turning 11 years old and has been replaced twice

I get that GTS isn’t the priority anymore but...yeah...

Last edited:
I see vision GT and the inclusion of concepts as PDs solution to their otherwise stale offering of "new" cars.

I don't think it works though, I think most car enthusiasts covet cars that actually exist or are based on what's in production.

Last edited:
Back