Why Gran Turismo Sport?

• Thread starter Matteo05
  • 212 comments
Italy
Italy
Bottrighe05
Why is it called Gran Turismo Sport and not GT 7?

In my opinion it's because they have a long term project in mind with this game. It will launch at the end of 2016 and stay for all the life cycle of the PS4, continuing with the philosophy of monthly updates to keep the game up to date.
This is just my personal opinion and it's all speculation.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for any grammatical errors :)

I was taken by surprise when I found out PD called the next game in the GT series "Grand Turismo Sport" and not GT7. But I prefer the Gran Turismo 7 name. It sounds better, and all the other games in the GT series have a number at the end.

I was taken by surprise when I found out PD called the next game in the GT series "Grand Turismo Sport" and not GT7. But I prefer the Gran Turismo 7 name. It sounds better, and all the other games in the GT series have a number at the end.

That's not confirmed, that's just speculation.

I think this is an interim release, like a Prologue or a side branch of the franchise like Forza Horzion.
It isn't a prologue, because in the Questions Answered about GTS thread it says that there will be no prologues.

It isn't a prologue, because in the Questions Answered about GTS thread it says that there will be no prologues.

Well PD don't have to strictly call it one but it could end up being something which very much looks like one. It's still early days but I'm sure that's why they didn't just call it GT7.

@JKgo yeah the whole Sport thing has likely come from the FIA involvement and the rise in e-sports in recent years.

Well, it's just a name of course, but I think it's to make it clear that they're going in a different, more competetively oriented direction this time, instead of just a 'driving sim'. So more focus on actual action and racing (with actual FIA rules, flags, penalties, pitting, etc.). But it's still speculation of course.

So basically it's like a reboot huh, If GT Sport is like a sequel to 6 but a spinoff to the main series, I think it would make sense to call it Sport.

It is the name of the "platform" (7 to 77, next 100 years) they've been talking about since GT:HD days.
Sport because it is a (e)sport focused platform.
Gran Turismo Sport.
Branding change losing numbers helps the "rebirth, revolution" idea.

Because Porsche? :sly:

carrera_gts_decal.jpg

But yeah, probably to mark the beginning of something new. It could be a new sub-franchise, or a new direction for the main franchise.

Well, it's just a name of course, but I think it's to make it clear that they're going in a different, more competetively oriented direction this time, instead of just a 'driving sim'. So more focus on actual action and racing (with actual FIA rules, flags, penalties, pitting, etc.). But it's still speculation of course.

So do you think they will focus more on race cars instead of road cars?

Thing is, the FIA partnership is only for the award thing.
That's not what it implies on the blog, it specifically states "In Gran Turismo Sport, there will be two FIA online championships running simultaneously." in a paragraph labelled 'FIA Gran Turismo Championships'. So I think it's more than just an awards thing. But we'll see. :)

GT-Sport isn't GT7, nor is it GT7 prologue. For me it's just an interim release / side project using the graphics engine, AI and other developments they've created for the upcoming GT7. That's why it's only being marketed around the two competitions (country & manufacturer) as opposed to promoting the usual 'real driving simulator' tagline together with the usual boast regarding the number of cars and tracks etc. It's just a small scale PSN release.

That's what I believe GTS is.

Last edited:
Why is it called Gran Turismo Sport and not GT 7?

In my opinion it's because they have a long term project in mind with this game. It will launch at the end of 2016 and stay for all the life cycle of the PS4, continuing with the philosophy of monthly updates to keep the game up to date.
This is just my personal opinion and it's all speculation.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for any grammatical errors :)

I think after awhile, with so many installments, the numbers of installments just don't seem to be relevant. I don't care either way.

That's not what it implies on the blog, it specifically states "In Gran Turismo Sport, there will be two FIA online championships running simultaneously." in a paragraph labelled 'FIA Gran Turismo Championships'. So I think it's more than just an awards thing. But we'll see. :)

Yeah I meant that, I'm saying is so far there is no license for F1 or exclusive rights to track which we speculated we might get. This "partnership" seems purely for marketing.

Back