Why I am so horrible and slow?

Italy
Bologna
Matteocarlito
Hi Everybody and pleased to meet you all.
I was fascinated by GT7 so I bought a great gear: GT Omega seat and Fanatec DD pro.
With my great surprise I always get in the last three places. And it seems to me to be so fast!

I use tcs 1 or 2
I set up my wheel both automatic settings or GT7 suggested setting
With the controller I am pretty good.
This week there is an online race in the desert. Record is 1.17 and I am 1.20 !
There is a competition in Brands Hatch now with Porsches, my time is 1.47 the fastest is 1.39! How is this possible?
In the career mode getting licenses I always or mostly get bronze, In the offline races i usually win (easy mode).
Maybe it’s me..maybe I am just old, but the competition here seems insane !

I am missing something?
Thanks to everybody which will answer in advance.
Matteo

Last edited:
I was fascinated by GT7 so I bought a great gear: GT Omega seat and Fanatec DD pro.
With my great surprise I always get in the last three places. And it seems to me to be so fast!

I use tcs 1 or 2
There is a competition in Brands Hatch now with Porsches, my time is 1.47 the fastest is 1.39! How is this possible?
In the career mode getting licenses I always or mostly get bronze, In the offline races i usually win (easy mode).

I am missing something?
Matteo
I am not even remotely a fast driver, but I do not think that is something I should be worried about. I try to become faster, however, I feel that the most important aspect is - to enjoy the journey. Try to find what you most enjoy about racing/driving.

This week, I really tried to improve my qualifying for race B. I like Dragon's Trail (Gardens), found a car I enjoyed using (BRZ), and thoroughly enjoyed hot lapping, with an Alien's ghost to chase. I couldn't get within 2 seconds of their time. I was constantly losing time, through inconsistency - in every area of driving.

From what I can tell, aliens brake and accelerate with more consistency, using more of the track, and are able to push the car to its limits lap after lap. This is achieved through talent, gained from hours, and hours, and hours of purposeful practice.

The question is, how do you want to enjoy the game?
If you want to be faster, I would suggest picking an offline challenge to complete and master. Pick missions, license tests of circuit experiences and go for silver, then gold. My guess is that gold can be achieved by most DR B, and probably DR C players.

Don't think you have to be within a second of the best time. I've Golded all the licence tests and currently slowly going through the experiences. I am a B/C rated driver. Not mega quick. It's all about having fun. Being quick enough without getting hammered will take time once you've swapped to a (new) wheel.
Do you trail brake, brake too early. Not enough power out of the corners etc. Maybe just confidence in yourselves with the new setup.
Give it time. Plenty of practice and hours in the seat you will get quicker.
Also watch the guides you see on YouTube.
Tidgey think is one, he's on here.

I am not even remotely a fast driver, but I do not think that is something I should be worried about. I try to become faster, however, I feel that the most important aspect is - to enjoy the journey. Try to find what you most enjoy about racing/driving.

This week, I really tried to improve my qualifying for race B. I like Dragon's Trail (Gardens), found a car I enjoyed using (BRZ), and thoroughly enjoyed hot lapping, with an Alien's ghost to chase. I couldn't get within 2 seconds of their time. I was constantly losing time, through inconsistency - in every area of driving.

From what I can tell, aliens brake and accelerate with more consistency, using more of the track, and are able to push the car to its limits lap after lap. This is achieved through talent, gained from hours, and hours, and hours of purposeful practice.

The question is, how do you want to enjoy the game?
If you want to be faster, I would suggest picking an offline challenge to complete and master. Pick missions, license tests of circuit experiences and go for silver, then gold. My guess is that gold can be achieved by most DR B, and probably DR C players.
That’s really wise and I thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am new in this game so maybe in online Racing I should tune my car in order to progress.
Regarding the journey you So right! Unfortunately still at my age competition remains a factor. I know it’s disfunctional…but unfortunately I can’t do anything about it. Still this game can provide hours of countless enjoyment even with off line.
Ciao and grazie !

Don't think you have to be within a second of the best time. I've Golded all the licence tests and currently slowly going through the experiences. I am a B/C rated driver. Not mega quick. It's all about having fun. Being quick enough without getting hammered will take time once you've swapped to a (new) wheel.
Do you trail brake, brake too early. Not enough power out of the corners etc. Maybe just confidence in yourselves with the new setup.
I will ! Thank you! I still haven’t understood if you can go online in ‘sport’ with your set up or there are limitations

That’s really wise and I thank you so much for sharing your experience! I am new in this game so maybe in online Racing I should tune my car in order to progress.
Regarding the journey you So right! Unfortunately still at my age competition remains a factor. I know it’s disfunctional…but unfortunately I can’t do anything about it. Still this game can provide hours of countless enjoyment even with off line.
Ciao and grazie !

I will ! Thank you! I still haven’t understood if you can go online in ‘sport’ with your set up or there are limitations
Usually, the races in sport mode are for cars with a fixed set-up - and with the BoP (Balance of Performance), they 'should' be relatively equal. Having said that, there are usually a few that have an advantage. Even so, I'd suggest picking a car that fits your style of driving. Unusually, Race C this week did allow tuning, but there were several suggested tunes available on GTP.

When attempting races in sport mode, I usually join a few events without qualifying. This means that I can start from the back, and follow others around until I start to get a feel for the correct line, braking and turning in points. I'll make a note of the pole time, and compare this with my lap times to see how competitive I am. If I think I can set a qualifying time that will get me at or near the front, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, I'll do a few more races to find more speed. One thing I've noticed is that when I'm chasing others in a race, I'll find more speed, more quickly than when I'm trying to qualify.

I use tcs 1 or 2

I am missing something?
Matteo
There is a huge difference between being fast real fast super fast and Alien fast .
Being fast is sometimes not enough to make the cut.
Career and offline mode are just the beginning like an apprentice with a long journey ahead.
My advise is practice practice practice…

Last edited:
Hi Matteo,

I don't know whether you have raced with a controller before buying your gear, but if you didn't, this is not surprising at all. It takes hundreds of hours of racing to git gud in GT at all.
I would recommend you don't feel too frustrated, but grow your skills gradually. Do the license tests and after that the circuit experience, it will develop your skills.

Usually, the races in sport mode are for cars with a fixed set-up - and with the BoP (Balance of Performance), they 'should' be relatively equal. Having said that, there are usually a few that have an advantage. Even so, I'd suggest picking a car that fits your style of driving. Unusually, Race C this week did allow tuning, but there were several suggested tunes available on GTP.

When attempting races in sport mode, I usually join a few events without qualifying. This means that I can start from the back, and follow others around until I start to get a feel for the correct line, braking and turning in points. I'll make a note of the pole time, and compare this with my lap times to see how competitive I am. If I think I can set a qualifying time that will get me at or near the front, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, I'll do a few more races to find more speed. One thing I've noticed is that when I'm chasing others in a race, I'll find more speed, more quickly than when I'm trying to qualify.
Cool ! This week in Italy we had a race in the desert, the third on the right in the screen, and a was around 1.23 average with peaks of 1.20 but still, the others were better. I think hopefully is a matter of time but my God competition is strong !!

Hi Matteo,

I don't know whether you have raced with a controller before buying your gear, but if you didn't, this is not surprising at all. It takes hundreds of hours of racing to git gud in GT at all.
I would recommend you don't feel too frustrated, but grow your skills gradually. Do the license tests and after that the circuit experience, it will develop your skills.
Thank you ! So far I am a little frustrated :) I don’t know if I am racing against people with controller or steering wheel, but I end every single race 1 minute behind the first…

There is a huge difference between being fast real fast super fast and Alien fast .
Being fast is sometimes not enough to make the cut.
Career and offline mode are just the beginning like an apprentice with a long journey ahead.
My advise is practice practice practice…
Thank you! This confirms that this game is so far from being ‘arcade’

I found Him and saw a video of the race in which I am doing 1.22 average (he is 1.17 average). I am a bit confused:
1. In his race everybody has is personal car while in my purgatory most of the cars are by rent
2. He does the same things I do, but he is four/six seconds faster 😱

Last edited:
Hi! Well in my perception Arcade means casual, but it does not really feel casual train for hours to achieve improvements!
And this is a good thing!
Have you tried any tunes for the cars ? i pick a short track like brandshatch indy get a few tunes and see what feels better and makes me faster after doing a few stock laps first. Then look at the tunes and see what the difference is between the setups you like and dislike after a while you can begin to see patterns in the tunes for the different drive types. Low dif settings can help a lot i always adjust it.

Last edited:
Have to tried any tunes for the cars ? i pick a short track like brandshatch indy get a few tunes and see what feels better and makes me faster after doing a few stock laps first. Then look at the tunes and see what the difference is between the setups you like and dislike after a while you can begin to see patterns in the tunes for the different drive types. Low dif settings can help a lot i always adjust it.
Hi Fog! NO and that's what I was asking! I am pretty sure to be enough fast, the problem is the tuning, I am a newbie and I don't know anything about it! I know where to go in the menu for the setup but I dont' know what to do. Are there any preset setups or indications in the forum or elesewhere? with those I am pretty confident I can keep the pace! I have only Switched off the TCS.
Thanks in advance for your answer!

Hi Fog! NO and that's what I was asking! I am pretty sure to be enough fast, the problem is the tuning, I am a newbie and I don't know anything about it! I know where to go in the menu for the setup but I dont' know what to do. Are there any preset setups or indications in the forum or elesewhere? with those I am pretty confident I can keep the pace! I have only Switched off the TCS.
Thanks in advance for your answer!

Best place to start m8 is here but always drive it first then tune it and don't make the FFB to much you should not be fighting it around the bends thats a newbie mistake ;) oh and watch the bars that move when you brake and accelerate and use it to learn the correct throttle positioning for 1/2 throttle etc muscle memory takes time and a good dif setting can mean no TC is needed

good luck

Best place to start m8 is here but always drive it first then tune it and don't make the FFB to much you should not be fighting it around the bends thats a newbie mistake ;) oh and watch the bars that move when you brake and accelerate and use it to learn the correct throttle positioning for 1/2 throttle etc muscle memory takes time and a good dif setting can mean no TC is needed

good luck
wow this is insane! Thank you so much! Maybe somewhere there is also something for the weekly races so I can pick the right car for rent (newbie poor) and tune it up :)

I think you can't tune cars that you don't own.
If you need some fast cash, go over to Sport mode and take the rented car for current time trial. With few laps practice you should easily make the bronze time which rewards 250k credits.

I think you can't tune cars that you don't own.
If you need some fast cash, go over to Sport mode and take the rented car for current time trial. With few laps practice you should easily make the bronze time which rewards 250k credits.
Yep! I will set up my own cars! (already gotten bronze with this week electric race car! BTW off topic: insane times silver and gold people!)

Does take a long time to adjust to using a wheel. I switched to a wheel for FM4 and it honestly took me easily a year to fully adjust, and I mean to be faster than I am with a control pad. Now it's natural.

Does take a long time to adjust to using a wheel. I switched to a wheel for FM4 and it honestly took me easily a year to fully adjust, and I mean to be faster than I am with a control pad. Now it's natural.
a year 😩. maybe my disappointment comes from the fact that simply spending money on a real gear like Fanatec and a real drive cabinet my statistics would have grown up. Well, does seems that a normal joypad destroys me 😫

But we are all different. I cannot remember how long it took me to get faster with a G29 over a controller - but I am sure it was not very long. But, this is because using a wheel felt much more intuitive, whereas with a controller I couldn't master using manual gears. I went from TCS and Auto gears on a controller, to bonnet cam, manual gears and no traction control. I think I just practised like crazy over a weekend or two to get from a slow player with a controller, to a marginally less slow player with a wheel.

The wheel helps me become much smoother, and more consistent with braking, turn-in and acceleration. As these lines are more consistent, I tend to find that I'm able to lap at near my pace throughout a race. If I try to push, then I fine that I'm making small mistakes, and end up going slower. If I just try for consistency, I tend to find that my lap times improve - just a little.

Last edited:
But we are all different. I cannot remember how long it took me to get faster with a G29 over a controller - but I am sure it was not very long. But, this is because using a wheel felt much more intuitive, whereas with a controller I couldn't master using manual gears. I went from TCS and Auto gears on a controller, to bonnet cam, manual gears and no traction control. I think I just practised like crazy over a weekend or two to get from a slow with a controller, to a marginally less slow layer with a wheel.

The wheel helps me become much smoother, and more consistent with braking, turn-in and acceleration. As these lines are more consistent, I tend to find that I'm able to lap at near my pace throughout a race. If I try to push, then I fine that I'm making small mistakes, and end up going slower. If I just try for consistency, I tend to find that my lap times improve - just a little.
Yep, I think BTW Fanatec direct drive it's not so easy to master. I have settled also some configurations in the wheel.

a year 😩. maybe my disappointment comes from the fact that simply spending money on a real gear like Fanatec and a real drive cabinet my statistics would have grown up. Well, does seems that a normal joypad destroys me 😫
I realized a long time ago i would never be more than middle of the pack it's more the enjoyment of the wheel that keeps me playing any driving game that i can use it with i will happily play :cheers:

I went from a G29 to the Fanatec DD Pro.
My G29 had modded, so stiffer pedals, magnetic shifter.
I did a comparison when I ordered my DD Pro.
Did a time trial, drove 10+ laps at autopolis in a Caymen GT4. (Gtsport)
Left it over a week till my fanatec arrived, set it up including drivers and had another go same car track. Within 2 laps I was close to 2 secs quicker. That was enough for me to know it was worth the investment. Plus I could actually feel what the car was doing.
Give it time though as pad it's easier to drive quicker I'd say. You'll get there eventually

I went from a G29 to the Fanatec DD Pro.
My G29 had modded, so stiffer pedals, magnetic shifter.
I did a comparison when I ordered my DD Pro.
Did a time trial, drove 10+ laps at autopolis in a Caymen GT4. (Gtsport)
Left it over a week till my fanatec arrived, set it up including drivers and had another go same car track. Within 2 laps I was close to 2 secs quicker. That was enough for me to know it was worth the investment. Plus I could actually feel what the car was doing.
Give it time though as pad it's easier to drive quicker I'd say. You'll get there eventually
great, I will. I had the Logitech G923 and honestly it was a great wheel compared to the price. Maybe it is only me but when I Was driving I also felt "The ground", something I don't with the DD Pro. But for all the rest Fanatec is a great product!

What settings do you have the DD Pro at?
I have ffb at 5/5 if your using it at 1/1 you won't feel much. Try turning it up 1 notch till you feel something.
Also there is alot more settings via the Fanatec menu

That's not slow. It's just about 5% off the top qualifying time which would get you Silver in an Online Time Trial event (and one million credits).

Slow would be struggling to get Bronze, 10% off slower than the top times.

Maybe somewhere there is also something for the weekly races so I can pick the right car for rent (newbie poor) and tune it up :)
For almost all Daily Races there is no vehicle tuning permitted.
I found Him and saw a video of the race in which I am doing 1.22 average (he is 1.17 average). I am a bit confused:
1. In his race everybody has is personal car while in my purgatory most of the cars are by rent
2. He does the same things I do, but he is four/six seconds faster 😱
You can use your own cars or borrow one for the Daily Races. It makes no difference, except for keeping the miles off your own cars and reducing the engine/oil wear.

@Tidgney will be four-to-six seconds faster because he's not doing the same things you do. He's doing them 5% better - later braking into corners, tighter lines at higher speeds, and earlier acceleration out of corners, along with being able to do it consistently every lap.

Last edited:
Back