Why I am so horrible and slow?

That's not slow. It's just about 5% off the top qualifying time which would get you Silver in an Online Time Trial event (and one million credits).

Slow would be struggling to get Bronze, 10% off slower than the top times.

For almost all Daily Races there is no vehicle tuning permitted.
Your answer made my day, my week and maybe my year !!! THANK YOUUUUUUU

@Tidgney will be four-to-six seconds faster because he's not doing the same things you do. He's doing them 5% better - later braking into corners, tighter lines at higher speeds, and earlier acceleration out of corners, along with being able to do it consistently every lap.
Yes my suspicion was that: he is doing exactly what you are saying. He is an alien. I just need to understand why all the participants are all around 1.18 - 1-20 during race. That means competition is tough!

You should post a video of you racing on race A at Brands Hatch because 1:47 is slow even with TC on. My guess is you're going pretty slow through turn 1 and turn 4. Some corners you need to exit in 3rd gear to gain some time. You could practice on track experience for each track that is in the sport mode. My best time on race A at Brands is 1:39 but it is 1:40-1:41 on average during the race, some times much slower. It is a good idea to try be consistent more than fast and wait for others to make mistakes, which will happen. You'll also find where you can be faster.

SENS 100 FFB 100 FFS SCALE PEAK
NAT Dpr 25 NAT FRI 25 NAT INERT OFF FF INTERPOLATION OFF FE INTESITY 100 FORCE EFF 100 SPR EFF 100 DPR EFF 100
Fanatec wheel tuning menu settings

• SEN: Auto

• FF: 100

⚫ FFS: Peak

• NDP: 50

•NFR: Off

NIN: Off

• INT: 1

• FEI: 95

• FOR: 100

• SPR: 100

• DPR: 100

And force feed back 6, sensitivity 1. I use 5/5.

You are used to the controller physics.st
As I said before on other threads, the game provides some degree of Countersteering Assist and Stability Assist, despite you set them of on settings. Easy exercise, Plymouth Superbird stock, Daytona Oval, try it with both the controller and the wheel, you will find out it is almost impossible to loose it on the controller, but almost impossible to make a turn right on the wheel.
You, being a newbie on the new gear, are finding hard to control the cars without this "hidden assists" of the controller and not used enough to the wheel to take advantage of the bigger immersion and fine control it provides.
Also, as some people already mentioned, smoothness on the wheel inputs is a lot faster than big rotation inputs.

You should post a video of you racing on race A at Brands Hatch because 1:47 is slow even with TC on. My guess is you're going pretty slow through turn 1 and turn 4. Some corners you need to exit in 3rd gear to gain some time. You could practice on track experience for each track that is in the sport mode. My best time on race A at Brands is 1:39 but it is 1:40-1:41 on average during the race, some times much slower. It is a good idea to try be consistent more than fast and wait for others to make mistakes, which will happen. You'll also find where you can be faster.
hi! (Lancia Delta was my father's car ) if this evening the track online is still available I will, otherwise i will search the offline mode with the same car and post it, or otherwise let's see what new week takes! but yeah surely turn 1 and 4 are pretty hard to me. :)

You are used to the controller physics.st
As I said before on other threads, the game provides some degree of Countersteering Assist and Stability Assist, despite you set them of on settings. Easy exercise, Plymouth Superbird stock, Daytona Oval, try it with both the controller and the wheel, you will find out it is almost impossible to loose it on the controller, but almost impossible to make a turn right on the wheel.
You, being a newbie on the new gear, are finding hard to control the cars without this "hidden assists" of the controller and not used enough to the wheel to take advantage of the bigger immersion and fine control it provides.
Also, as some people already mentioned, smoothness on the wheel inputs is a lot faster than big rotation inputs.
that is certainly the case! But I would expect then that GT7 would divide wheels users and joypad users, but I don't think they do aren't they?

Yep! I will set up my own cars! (already gotten bronze with this week electric race car! BTW off topic: insane times silver and gold people!)
Almost all races online is with a fixed setup.
If you want to be good at that you should practice with the fixed setup cars.
Try learning manual gears, they can both make you faster and help you save gas when you do a race with high fuel multiplyer.

Also, when you watch the guides pay attention to how much they brake and for how long. If you brake at the same time you either brake harder or longer if he goes faster.
Trail taking and try to late apex so you get fast exits.

I am still on the controller but there's no guarantee you are faster on a wheel.
The biggest plus is the immersion is much greater wth a wheel.
So don't worry if the ones you race online are using another method of control or not.
Have fun and maybe I'll see you in a race some day

Almost all races online is with a fixed setup.
If you want to be good at that you should practice with the fixed setup cars.
Try learning manual gears, they can both make you faster and help you save gas when you do a race with high fuel multiplyer.

Also, when you watch the guides pay attention to how much they brake and for how long. If you brake at the same time you either brake harder or longer if he goes faster.
Trail taking and try to late apex so you get fast exits.

I am still on the controller but there's no guarantee you are faster on a wheel.
The biggest plus is the immersion is much greater wth a wheel.
So don't worry if the ones you race online are using another method of control or not.
Have fun and maybe I'll see you in a race some day
Thank you I will! you all can find me as Matteocarlito, it's easy to recognize me, I am always the 11 or so out of 12 ;)

Ive sent
Thank you I will! you all can find me as Matteocarlito, it's easy to recognize me, I am always the 11 or so out of 12 ;)
I've sent you A friend request. Be good to see where your times at. Have a look for replays via the showcase using the GTP tag. Some use it.
Chasing the fastest drivers is probably worse for you if your not with a second or 3 of their times. Racing your own race is better. 👍

Last edited:
Some factors, looks like you are braking too early. Try Braking within the red hash area instead of before.
Also the yellow markers are the points to use.
Should be using as much of the track as possible including kerbs.
Look at the Racing line through a corner of out in out (pic)
Also (maybe) looks like your only doing either braking or acceleration.
Do you left foot brake? If not try.
Not easy to do but can help make you quicker.
Down shift into some of the sharper corners as you turn then shift up 1 gear to give you grip without wheelspin
Wouldn't say your that slow but with time you'll get there.
Sure anything I've missed someone else will help within tips

Attachments

• racing-line.png
    racing-line.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Some factors, looks like you are braking too early. Try Braking within the red hash area instead of before.
Also the yellow markers are the points to use.
Should be using as much of the track as possible including kerbs.
Look at the Racing line through a corner of out in out (pic)
Also (maybe) looks like your only doing either braking or acceleration.
Do you left foot brake? If not try.
Not easy to do but can help make you quicker.
Down shift into some of the sharper corners as you turn then shift up 1 gear to give you grip without wheelspin
Wouldn't say your that slow but with time you'll get there.
Sure anything I've missed someone else will help within tips
Hi and thank you ! I posted a race in which I wasn’t very good (was my first time on that circuit) as to better understand and underline the mistakes.
If I have correctly understood, I always left foot brake, because I only have two pedals. With my left foot I brake with the right foot I accelerate. Never used both combined (like braking still pushing the accelerator). Or I use accelerator or I use brake if that is what you meant. Should I, I will try all you other suggestions!
At present moment, even this week, I am 5 seconds below all the fastest drivers, this is frustrating considering that probably they are all using Joypads.
I always play in the evening if you want to join sometimes !

Last edited:

Have a look at some of this guy's videos.
They are helpful.
But don't worry about the 5secs as thinking about it is that's all you will be thinking about.
Also try taking the brake markers off. But look for points where to brake at the side of the track.
Edit. Try improve on 1 thing at a time as trying to do everything at once will be frustrating and make it harder to improve.
See how late you can brake for the corners finding a kerb or sign to use as a marker.

Last edited:
There is quite a lot of time you can easily make up going by this video. You're not using the width of the track which will enable you to take the corners faster and hit the apex, which you're almost completely avoiding. You're driving very clean, careful, as if you are taking a passenger around the track for a track day experience.

The good news is the improvements needed are not that difficult, you just need more confidence in how fast you can take some of those corners. The first corner for example if you stick to the right and drive both outside wheels on the curb and break later, about the hundred meter mark then you'll be able to turn in faster and hit the apex. I'm sure you will shave at least one second of your time just there. Also I think you are shifting down through the gears too quickly when braking. I would suggest going on time trial and do about 10 laps trying to beat your ghost each lap and experiment breaking later and taking the corners with more speed. Remember to use as much of the width of the track as possible.

Last edited:
There is quite a lot of time you can easily make up going by this video. You're not using the width of the track which will enable you to take the corners faster and hit the apex, which you're almost completely avoiding. You're driving very clean, careful, as if you are taking a passenger around the track for a track day experience.

The good news is the improvements needed are not that difficult, you just need more confidence in how fast you can take some of those corners. The first corner for example if you stick to the right and drive both outside wheels on the curb and break later, about the hundred meter mark then you'll be able to turn in faster and hit the apex. I'm sure you will shave at least one second of your time just there. Also I think you are shifting down through the gears too quickly when braking. I would suggest going on time trial and do about 10 laps trying to beat your ghost each lap and experiment breaking later and taking the corners with more speed. Remember to use as much of the width of the track as possible.
Great tips ! In my defense as I said I choose on purpose a new track in which I was pretty bad :) so mistakes are shining ! And how did you know I had a girl sitting on the cabinet for track day experience ? (Joking 🙂)

On the first turn I didn’t wanted to change trajectory as to not create problems to other players.

Last edited:
Have you seen this: https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/25219/gran-turismo-7-ps4-ps5-fanatec-recommended-settings ? It will make sense to also update the DD Pro's firmware if you haven't done so. I'd especially recommend turning off counter steering assistance as it makes the wheel feel disconnected from what the car is actually doing. As you get better, you'll find that the other assists (TCS and ASM) are slowing you down and you'll have to turn them off as well once your results start to plateau.

I found that I got a lot of time "getting up to speed" when I started using ghosts to chase in the license tests. Try and grind for the gold on those licenses! You can enable the ghost to appear .2 or .4 seconds ahead of you, which makes it easier to chase to see how the time was driven - especially where they break and what lines they take through certain corners. You can also enable ghosts for circuit experiences, daily races, and online time trials. If I am unfamiliar with a track for a daily race I will do my best to gold the circuit experience to learn the lines, and then follow that with a hot lap qualifying session chasing a top time.

Have you seen this: https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/25219/gran-turismo-7-ps4-ps5-fanatec-recommended-settings ? It will make sense to also update the DD Pro's firmware if you haven't done so. I'd especially recommend turning off counter steering assistance as it makes the wheel feel disconnected from what the car is actually doing. As you get better, you'll find that the other assists (TCS and ASM) are slowing you down and you'll have to turn them off as well once your results start to plateau.

I found that I got a lot of time "getting up to speed" when I started using ghosts to chase in the license tests. Try and grind for the gold on those licenses! You can enable the ghost to appear .2 or .4 seconds ahead of you, which makes it easier to chase to see how the time was driven - especially where they break and what lines they take through certain corners. You can also enable ghosts for circuit experiences, daily races, and online time trials. If I am unfamiliar with a track for a daily race I will do my best to gold the circuit experience to learn the lines, and then follow that with a hot lap qualifying session chasing a top time.
Hi! Yes I did, updated and using.
Great advice about the ghost, I will follow it.
Thanks to you and everybody who answered! My Psn name is matteocarlito I play in the evening 99% of the times if somebody wants to add me !

@Matteocarlito

It takes time to get better. if you were doing 1:20 and the record was 1:17 then I would say you are doing great. I consider it a success when I am within 5 seconds of the record.

The keys to getting better are:

1. Circuit Experience - keep doing them. Even if you don't get gold, try to better your score. In the meantime, you will be learning the track

2. Keep racing - eventually you will see want others are doing and even if you cannot replicate it, just trying to may make you better and faster

3. Don't be discouraged - we all can't win all the time. Just try your best!

Good luck out on the track and welcome to GTPlanet! :cheers:

@Matteocarlito

It takes time to get better. if you were doing 1:20 and the record was 1:17 then I would say you are doing great. I consider it a success when I am within 5 seconds of the record.

The keys to getting better are:

1. Circuit Experience - keep doing them. Even if you don't get gold, try to better your score. In the meantime, you will be learning the track

2. Keep racing - eventually you will see want others are doing and even if you cannot replicate it, just trying to may make you better and faster

3. Don't be discouraged - we all can't win all the time. Just try your best!

Good luck out on the track and welcome to GTPlanet! :cheers:
I have just had a great weekly race 3 Dragon road !!!! (For three laps…then I went off-road) it’s just incredible how a cabinet, a wheel and driving fast can be so addicting ! If you loose concentration for a fraction of second you are done. That’s why my guess is: joypad is easier, less tiring and less stressful (of course less enjoying as well) compared to wheel but boy how fun with the steering wheel!
If Sony vr2 will work fine…it will be a blast.
Just not sure I can resist with motion sickness at those speeds.
Cheers and thank you!

The biggest "aha" moment for me is learning that corner exit is 10x more important than entry. It might seem like you are going slow or slowing down to much but carrying the speed all the way to the next braking zone is way better than divebombing by the seat of your pants.

Your expectations are WAY too high, if you can get within 3% of the top times you are REALLY doing well. Top 5% or so.
Thank you. Always being demanding to myself! In this way I wrote and directed three movies :). When I don’t master something I don’t sleep during night (it’s a disfunction, not greatness 😅)

The biggest "aha" moment for me is learning that corner exit is 10x more important than entry. It might seem like you are going slow or slowing down to much but carrying the speed all the way to the next braking zone is way better than divebombing by the seat of your pants.
That’s so wise I will follow this lesson!

I want to thank everybody for answering in this post. I am actually getting better. The only thing I still have to try is to set ABS ‘weak’ instead of strong.
TCS is zero or one.

The keyword in my Improvements was the word ‘SWEET’.
I started to brake softly and shift down more smooth, not Like a F1 in which you go from 6 to 2nd in half a second.
Entering the turn slowly and exiting fast was a great advice.

I still honestly can’t understand why in race three of this week I am 1.43 and the best ones are 1.36 (!!!!!!!!!) but maybe there is an age factor or maybe they just use a joypad.

Thanks everybody !

I want to thank everybody for answering in this post. I am actually getting better. The only thing I still have to try is to set ABS ‘weak’ instead of strong.
TCS is zero or one.

The keyword in my Improvements was the word ‘SWEET’.
I started to brake softly and shift down more smooth, not Like a F1 in which you go from 6 to 2nd in half a second.
Entering the turn slowly and exiting fast was a great advice.

I still honestly can’t understand why in race three of this week I am 1.43 and the best ones are 1.36 (!!!!!!!!!) but maybe there is an age factor or maybe they just use a joypad.

Thanks everybody !
Aliens is your answer. 136 is quick. Use the gears to aid turn in. Tight corners drop down a gear as you turn in, then up shift.

Natural talent combined with lots of practice.
Without both, no one is going to be at the top of what he or she is doing.
But most importantly is: always have fun, and if you dont, either you should reconsider how to have fun or stop it, or better be paid for it ;)

I know I cant pass up to the top levels of sim racing, I didnt even finish all license test (okay, just 1 gold is missing) or missions (I can not understand how to drift in GT7). But whatever I am doing, I am doing it without feeling to miss out particular things of the game.

Last edited:
Natural talent combined with lots of practice.
Without both, no one is going to be at the top of what he or she is doing.
But most importantly is: always have fun, and if you dont, either you should reconsider how to have fun or stop it, or better be paid for it ;)

I know I cant pass up to the top levels of sim racing, I didnt even finish all license test (okay, just 1 gold is missing) or missions (I can not understand how to drift in GT7). But whatever I am doing, I am doing it without feeling to miss out particular things of the game.
I am enjoying so muuuch :) the only slight trouble is my inner ambition and compulsivity in being the best. Still haven’t learned at 50 yrs old how to manage it, I never will, so I justify myself saying: ‘These aliens use a controller, with the wheel is harder !’ 😅

"Slow in, fast out"
Back in my motorcycle track days we called those people "Parker Screamers". They were the liter (litre???) bike guys out on their first day going up against seasoned 600cc riders. The 600cc guys needed to maintain speed throughout the corners to keep their best lap times, but the liter bike guys could park it into the corners and make up the time screaming down the straights. It always chuffed the 600 guys having to slow down through the turns to avoid crashing in to a "parker screamer." As I got better at my cornering speed, I too found it to be quite annoying to pass a liter bike guy on the brakes, take the turn faster than them only to see them pass me on the straight because they have 30mph more on their top end than I did.

I have noticed this "parker screamer" approach being beneficial to overall lap times with GT7, though. I find that if I accidentally brake a bit too much into a turn (for example the sweeping left hander at Sardegna leading to the back straight) that I can exit the turn going just a bit faster than if I maintained a bit more corner speed but had to feather the throttle the whole way so I don't drift too wide into the embankment. In the end I can gain about half a second on that straight alone.

Edit: The problem with slow in, fast out on daily races is that people will stuff you on corner entry because "you are going too slow" and they see an opportunity to pass. So in Daily Racing its a bit counterintuitive. You need to either be fast everywhere so no one can catch you (in which case you can go with a slow in, fast out approach), or play more of a defensive roll by not leaving open opportunities at corner entries. This usually means taking not-so-ideal racing lines and forcing a bit more of a fast in, slow out strategy. It all depends on where you are in the pack. You have to kind of ping pong between the two approaches in some races.

Last edited:
Absolutely that @Tommy_D

You see it most in the way you drive the 155 in the game vs the WRX for example. You drive the WRX like a litre bike, slower in higher gear and ride/drive the throttle out smoothly minimising acceleration upshifts where the 155 you scream it in but it has much shorter gearing so corner speed differentials look the same but in reality they aren't.

Back