Why I am so horrible and slow?

they all use Joypad
Racing is practice.
A lot of that. Once you have mastered the controls in general, you need to master the controls of the car you drive as well as the track you drive on.
This goes for all kind of input device on its own, but the input device that allows for more precision is definitly the wheel, which in general means more speed for less steering input. Steering angle reduces speed and reduces the lifespan of your tyres.

Racing is practice.
A lot of that. Once you have mastered the controls in general, you need to master the controls of the car you drive as well as the track you drive on.
This goes for all kind of input device on its own, but the input device that allows for more precision is definitly the wheel, which in general means more speed for less steering input. Steering angle reduces speed and reduces the lifespan of your tyres.
Thank you so much, I was making the worst mistake you can ever do in life: creating excuses. I will try harder.

Seat time. To put it in perspective, I've got thousands of hours logged playing GT and Forza Motorsport using a wheel (over 2 decades), and I'm still not nearly as fast as a good portion of the other folks here. Not saying that to get you down, just that you need to have realistic expectations. No one starts at the top.

I would guess a lot of people might have played the game like me (and other ones) from 25 years ago to today.

What I thought then was you "attack" every corner braking late, and straight back on the throttle.

Yes minimise time between brake and throttle that's optimum but this game lets you use coasting as the transition point to acceleration.

What a lot of people don't realise is that trail braking is what changes brake > point > squirt to a single fluid transition.

Because brief coasting is so powerful and benefits those who don't/can't trail brake it focuses much more on single press smooth throttle exits.

What this means is you can actually take a slower speed in coast just in to the apex (although GT favours slightly wider apexes) and power through and usually in a higher gear than you'd normally use or enter the corner with.

I would guess a lot of people might have played the game like me (and other ones) from 25 years ago to today.

What I thought then was you "attack" every corner braking late, and straight back on the throttle.

Yes minimise time between brake and throttle that's optimum but this game lets you use coasting as the transition point to acceleration.

What a lot of people don't realise is that trail braking is what changes brake > point > squirt to a single fluid transition.

Because brief coasting is so powerful and benefits those who don't/can't trail brake it focuses much more on single press smooth throttle exits.

What this means is you can actually take a slower speed in coast just in to the apex (although GT favours slightly wider apexes) and power through and usually in a higher gear than you'd normally use or enter the corner with.
Seat time. To put it in perspective, I've got thousands of hours logged playing GT and Forza Motorsport using a wheel (over 2 decades), and I'm still not nearly as fast as a good portion of the other folks here. Not saying that to get you down, just that you need to have realistic expectations. No one starts at the top.
Thank you both. I consider myself "content" just to be down two seconds from the top players at an early stage of my experience with a wheel. I will curb my enthusiasm and btw consider myself happy also because lots of you know perfectly GT scenarios, I barely knew the turns of Monza circuit before

If you race online the one thing I would say is always compromise entry to a corner be it line or speed but focus on how best to maximise the exit.

Everyone who's played any of the racing games should know or have seen that sometimes sitting back, taking that swooping line is much quicker than fighting for who can be over the visual apex quicker.

Cars aren't mathematics they work best braking early and accelerating hard in this game. Also turn in (coasting or trail braking) earlier than you think!

Edit:

You want to be on the throttle without gear changes as long as possible hence the earlier upshifts. It allows you to unwind the steering and also it usually means less shifting through a race. That saves time both in up and down shifting.

This works for all cars road or race. The aim isn't to hit the Rev limiter all the time but to maintain smooth driving force forward. (I ride motorbikes so if your a biker you'll really get this)

Last edited:
If you race online the one thing I would say is always compromise entry to a corner be it line or speed but focus on how best to maximise the exit.

Everyone who's played any of the racing games should know or have seen that sometimes sitting back, taking that swooping line is much quicker than fighting for who can be over the visual apex quicker.

Cars aren't mathematics they work best braking early and accelerating hard in this game. Also turn in (coasting or trail braking) earlier than you think!

Edit:

You want to be on the throttle without gear changes as long as possible hence the earlier upshifts. It allows you to unwind the steering and also it usually means less shifting through a race. That saves time both in up and down shifting.

This works for all cars road or race. The aim isn't to hit the Rev limiter all the time but to maintain smooth driving force forward. (I ride motorbikes so if your a biker you'll really get this)
Great thanks ! What about engines ? Front or rear?

Great thanks ! What about engines ? Front or rear?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what you are asking.

FR (rear wheel drive) is the quickest platform.

They turn better. FF is probably the most stable and consistent.

The fastest cars are MR but they are so unforgiving to be consistently fast.

The 4wd stuff is a bit weird an a category that has been toned down. But in reality they should have made the other stuff more drivable

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what you are asking.

FR (rear wheel drive) is the quickest platform.

They turn better. FF is probably the most stable and consistent.

The fastest cars are MR but they are so unforgiving to be consistently fast.

The 4wd stuff is a bit weird an a category that has been toned down. But in reality they should have made the other stuff more drivable
You perfectly answered! Thank you!

Back