why is awd 10/90 frowned apon

Okay, it's frowned upon being called drifting because of the 10% of power being sent to the front wheels. I know a lot of 4WD 'drifters' will say "it's only 10%!" But 10% of 500bhp is still 50bhp! And if you're telling me that the front wheels of a Ford Ka don't help pull it round a corner then, well, I wouldn't know what to say. It's similar to me trying to enter my 700bhp GTR into a FWD only championship with a 50/50 split. Yes, 350bhp goes to the front, but the same goes to the back. It's like drifting with stabalisers in my eyes.

So, if you want to go out for a leisurely imitation drift with no concentraion needed, go with a 10/90 split. If you want to push boundaries and get mad amounts of respect from me and others on here with your 4WD car, go follow up the link posted to the gymkhana thread :)

10/90 Torque split is not legitimate drifting. You have power going to the front wheels, and that allows you to get more angle. It also allows the car to grab at the asphalt more and propel itself forward faster. Additionally, it becomes harder to spin out in an AWD car, opposed to a RWD car; that simple...I don't see how these threads are allowed to be posted anymore :confused:

'Thou shalt not lay down traction at the front as thou doth at the rear! It is an abomination.'

Driftiticus 18:21-23

True, I've seen it written in the drift bible.

Well Technically speaking 4wd drifting is still drifting, just not what was initially used when it was created or discovered. As long as the rear slip angle is greater then the front slip angle, your drifting. My theory on why rear wheel cars where initially used is because it was probably discovered on a FR car due to the back end being easy to slip out, hence people followed suit.

Last edited:
10/90 Torque split is not legitimate drifting. You have power going to the front wheels, and that allows you to get more angle. It also allows the car to grab at the asphalt more and propel itself forward faster. Additionally, it becomes harder to spin out in an AWD car, opposed to a RWD car; that simple

FINALLY thank you

because you have the 10% that is pulling your car in the direction that you want to go. Not like in a FR car where you have no help of the fronts other than guidance.

Well Technically speaking 4wd drifting is still drifting, just not what was initially used when it was created or discovered. As long as the rear slip angle is greater then the front slip angle, your drifting. My theory on why rear wheel cars where initially used is because it was probably discovered on a FR car due to the back end being easy to slip out, hence people followed suit.
X2

awd drifting is fine with me. its not less skilled in my opinion if anything to keep a nice long drift awds you need a bit more skill. all AWD's have to control the car is throttle position, any wrong input of counter steer and you're in the wall. FR's have a advantage of throttle position, counter steer and the e-brake to control a drift... what i dont like about drifting with an awd car on track is that awds dont slide smoothly/slowly like FR's, instead they rip around corners like a madman... just my 2cents

10/90 Torque split is not legitimate drifting. You have power going to the front wheels, and that allows you to get more angle. It also allows the car to grab at the asphalt more and propel itself forward faster. Additionally, it becomes harder to spin out in an AWD car, opposed to a RWD car; that simple...I don't see how these threads are allowed to be posted anymore :confused:

so if i read this right

awd
-more angle
-faster 'drifts'
-less easy to spin

fr
-less angle
-slower 'drifts'
-easier to spin

playing devils advocate for a second,
why would anyone want to 'drift' a obviously inferior FR car ?

''hey I'm an awesome drifter with my 220hp zilvia, i don't drift awd cause they are not 'legitimate', the way awd's mechanically spin the front tires and %10 of the power moves the wrong wheels, and I still think I'm above drifting an awd, I like doing 24mph drifts in my zilvia when the awd pass me sideways at 75mph i kick them out of the lobby'' - quote by any awesome at complaining virtural gaming drifter elitist

since were getting so technical about %10 here and there, drifting in a video simulation is not 'legitimate' either, drifting in real life would be considered 'legitimate', as in taking your car in the driveway to a track, paying $75 to signing your life away and going and finding out what 'legitimate drifting' it is about

Last edited:
I dont see why there is even an argument about this. AWD is not drifting end of it. Saying otherwise probably means you dont know what youre talking about or are just ignorant. Now I dont care if you drifting AWD that doesnt matter to me. I can always make an FR only room and just drift with people actually drifting. So what I say for the people who dont want to drift with AWD "drifters"? Make some friends who dont drift AWD its simple, and solves a lot of the issue. I dont drift AWD so add me this goes to anyone who just wants to drift FR cars.

Also if I didnt answer why 10/90 is frowned upon well its simple its not drifting theres not much else to say you still have power to the front and unfortunately that takes a lot of cars that people liked to drift out since a lot of them need RWD conversions(skylines,subarus etc.)

??

This makes no sense. The fact that you have power to the front wheels would make it harder for you to get more angle. The point of making AWDs 10/90 split is to make it resemble a RWD as much as possible so it'd be easier to get more angle. Having more power to the front balances and stabilizes the car more, so how in the world does it help with getting more angles?

Also, a lot of you guys don't make sense either. Some of you actually think that drifting AWDs require less technique and skill? Not only that, some of you are saying it's not drifting, but gymkhana or whatever you guys are calling it. You think the Evo in the Tokyo Drift movie was made RWD so it'll be harder to drift? Is it arrogance or what?

RWDs are the easy ones to drift and get angle. Look at all the high scores on DTs. I can drift most of them stock. AWDs require more setups and emphasis on weight transfer during iniation to be able to properly drift through one corner. Try drifting and HKS Evo and tell me it's easy to get a drift angle on that, and how it'll require less technique.

Of course the RX7 looks better in that video. It's "easier" to actually drift it, then the Subaru. To some of you think that AWDs are easier to drift, you're probably not doing it right.

Also, a lot of you guys don't make sense either. Some of you actually think that drifting AWDs require less technique and skill? Not only that, some of you are saying it's not drifting, but gymkhana or whatever you guys are calling it. You think the Evo in the Tokyo Drift movie was made RWD so it'll be harder to drift? Is it arrogance or what?

At the risk of correcting some one who hasn't made a mistake, you do know the Evo was converted to RWD?

At the risk of correcting some one who hasn't made a mistake, you do know the Evo was converted to RWD?

From what I read in Daus' post that is the point he made. The Evo was made RWD in the movie and his point is that they did that to make it easier to drift rather than leaving it with stock components which would have made it laughable on screen.

??

I think they made the Evo RWD because it wouldnt have been drifting if it wasnt ;) just saying

has anyone heard of team orange in D1GP their cars stock are AWD but they are all converted so what is this argument ^^^^^

so if i read this right

awd
-more angle
-faster 'drifts'
-less easy to spin
fr
-less angle
-slower 'drifts'
-easier to spin
playing devils advocate for a second,
why would anyone want to 'drift' a obviously inferior FR car ?

''hey I'm an awesome drifter with my 220hp zilvia, i don't drift awd cause they are not 'legitimate', the way awd's mechanically spin the front tires and %10 of the power moves the wrong wheels, and I still think I'm above drifting an awd, I like doing 24mph drifts in my zilvia when the awd pass me sideways at 75mph i kick them out of the lobby'' - quote by any awesome at complaining virtural gaming drifter elitist

since were getting so technical about %10 here and there, drifting in a video simulation is not 'legitimate' either, drifting in real life would be considered 'legitimate', as in taking your car in the driveway to a track, paying $75 to signing your life away and going and finding out what 'legitimate drifting' it is about

You got it in one. Well, two. Copying RWD lines and angles in a 4WD car is, quite frankly, easy. I get not a lot of pleasure out of taking a 10/90 split 4WD car out because if I make a mistake the front wheels will help pull me out of it. Whereas drifting a RWD car I know I have to be pretty much bang on everything to pull of the perfect drift. Much more rewarding and satisfying.

Why is TC, ABS and any stability/skid control technology banned in F1? To make the cars harder to drive, which will seperate the relatively bad drivers from the amazing ones. Yes, the cars will go slower, but that's not the point.

And your argument about virtual drifting people pointless is a non-starter. Why do I drift virtually, why do I play Gran Turismo at all, in fact, why do I sit here typing replies to people I'll never meet?

Last edited:
ok so those who drift virtually have no say? those who drift in the real world will tell you its probably one of the harder ways to drift a car (4WD/AWD whatever you prefer).. It just isn't proper drifting in a game or on an actual track. Any drift series DOES NOT ALLOW 4WD/AWD cars into there competition. oh i wonder if there is a reason behind this?

On gran turismo it is insanely easy to drift a 4WD/AWD car. It is Potentially hard determined on car choice to drift a RWD car. I wonder why Drifting enthusiasts Real World/Virtual World disagree with 4WD/AWD then?

I think skill level of sliding/drifting someone's car is the main culprit in this seemingly eternal argument. those whom exclusively use fr,mr,or rr cars to drift w/ aren't necessarily purists, but just sick of those who use 4wd/awd and either claim they're the best drifters under the sun, or can't actually control drifts and crash into others, or impede race lines. To be quite honest i find drifting(or powersliding, or gymkhana-ing, whatever terminology you prefer) w/ 4wd/awd a little bit more difficult, just due to the interesting dynamic of 10% of my power going to the front wheels, pulling me along...that being said, as long as a tandem partner/partners can follow a line w/out impeding me or anyone else, it matters not if they're fr, mr,rr,awd/4wd, or ff..
In short if you're fr, mr, or rr, you should get off of your high horse and just drift. if you're 4wd/awd or ff you should show a bit of humility(thanks to the assistance your car provides you), and actually practice your technique, so that anyone that drifts w/ you should have no complaint, save for the smoke you leave behind...and counter-steering is a must...:sly:

Where did this seemingly sudden obsession with sliding AWD vehicles come from?

Tokyo Drift is a freaking movie. Much like the Fast & Furious series, a lot of things may be overly exaggerated to increase dramatic effect. (Drive your Civic under a semi...)

Any AWD cars you see in competitions have been CONVERTED. As such, you'll never be able to enter a GT5 drift tournament as long as the true culture is upheld.

Finally, Ken Block is a not a drifter.

Last edited:
Where did this seemingly sudden obsession with sliding AWD vehicles come from?

Tokyo Drift is a freaking movie. Much like the Fast & Furious series, a lot of things may be overly exaggerated to increase dramatic effect. (Drive your Civic under a semi...)

Any AWD cars you see in competitions have been CONVERTED. As such, you'll never be able to enter a GT5 drift tournament as long as the true culture is upheld.

Finally, Ken Block is a not a drifter. Sam Hubinette is.
correct me if i'm wrong but no car w/in the F&F series was drifting awd, the evo in tokyo drift was well publicized as a rwd converted one...as far as sliding the awd vehicles, you can blame the same competitions you're referring to(d1, fd, etc...) it is the impreza and evo, etc... that have been converted w/in these contests that have sparked interest in drifting other things besides s-chassis and hachirokus...i'm fairly sure if GT5 allowed the disconnection of front axles, and welding of center diffs, more people would actually do it, but GT only allows for the 10/90 split, and so people make do. no, it doesn't mean they should be allowed to brag about their awesome skills, as we all know that 10% has a lot to do w/ it. but how else can people diversify what is drifted? if you have a better way to allow those whom have a legnum vr4 enjoy drifting/sliding/gymkhana-ing w/ it, then we're all ears...amazing how drifters, who tend to be excluded from other motorsport enthusiasts, as non-legitimate, illegitimize those who don't drift exactly how'd they prefer...maybe somebody just needs to make a room/team full of 10/90 awd drifters, because i'd hate to be kicked from a room, not for talking smack, or from impeding anyone else's drifitng experience, but just because the impreza i'm using has 10/90 split, which is the maximum that PD allowed us...btw my primary drifter is a supra 3.0 just in case anybody thinks i'm yet another awd bleeding heart. i just like to know that i can diversify my car selection a bit....

??

This makes no sense. The fact that you have power to the front wheels would make it harder for you to get more angle. The point of making AWDs 10/90 split is to make it resemble a RWD as much as possible so it'd be easier to get more angle. Having more power to the front balances and stabilizes the car more, so how in the world does it help with getting more angles?

RWDs are the easy ones to drift and get angle. Look at all the high scores on DTs. I can drift most of them stock. AWDs require more setups and emphasis on weight transfer during iniation to be able to properly drift through one corner. Try drifting and HKS Evo and tell me it's easy to get a drift angle on that, and how it'll require less technique.

Of course the RX7 looks better in that video. It's "easier" to actually drift it, then the Subaru. To some of you think that AWDs are easier to drift, you're probably not doing it right.

lol.

Someday when you're better at drifting (in GT5) you'll think back to this post and give yourself a mental facepalm.

I'm no purist, i like sliding around in AWD vehicles. I love rally racing, but it requires more skill to drift RWD.

The reason people dont drift AWD in real life is because it requires massive power (to break traction in all 4 wheels) and is HELL on your drivetrain...which is expensive and a bitch to work on because it's an awd drivetrain.

Just FYI in real life my last car was a Celica GT4 and my current ride is a 350z. I've spent time sliding around in both cars under various conditions.

okay for the Moderator's sake can we end this topic? Maybe sticky it because this will go on and on and on.... And you know most noobs dont search. Stop asking the question, All the true real drifters (and some not) know that rwd is true, drifting awd not, a converted awd is only a rwd too. This thread has explained it more than throughly with true facts. End.

I watched the Drift Bible. Didn't catch it. :lol:

This is more of it. The sport of drifting was started with lightweight rear-wheel drive machines, which is why, traditionally, drifting is done with such. AWD is banned because it's too easy to power out of a drift, but seriously... saying it's not "drifting" just because you're using an AWD car is like saying "it's not golf" if you use the wrong kind of driver or a non-competition spec golf ball... or saying "it's not baseball" if you use an aluminum bat.

You get the car sideways in a controlled manner... that's a drift. The same techniques (except for power-over) can be used on any car, FWD, RWD or AWD. The sport recognizes this, which is why FWD cars aren't banned. AWD cars are only banned because they're an unfair advantage... not because "it's not drifting!"

If you want to do a competitive professional-style drift, by all means, go RWD and lock the room to RWD. But "drifting", for me, is first and foremost about FUN. And fun knows no race, creed, religion or drivetrain type.

Thank you.

okay for the Moderator's sake can we end this topic? Maybe sticky it because this will go on and on and on.... And you know most noobs dont search. Stop asking the question, All the true real drifters (and some not) know that rwd is true, drifting awd not, a converted awd is only a rwd too. This thread has explained it more than throughly with true facts. End.

all agreed, so somebody start a mass petition we can twitter/facebook/email Kaz to introduce a patch that allows a truly full VCD so that subie and evo (and skyline)lovers aren't blacklisted...you know you want to drift a rwd 22b, skyline gt-r, evo(insert # here), PD just needs to make it happen

I watched the Drift Bible. Didn't catch it. :lol:

This is more of it. The sport of drifting was started with lightweight rear-wheel drive machines, which is why, traditionally, drifting is done with such. AWD is banned because it's too easy to power out of a drift, but seriously... saying it's not "drifting" just because you're using an AWD car is like saying "it's not golf" if you use the wrong kind of driver or a non-competition spec golf ball... or saying "it's not baseball" if you use an aluminum bat.

You get the car sideways in a controlled manner... that's a drift. The same techniques (except for power-over) can be used on any car, FWD, RWD or AWD. The sport recognizes this, which is why FWD cars aren't banned. AWD cars are only banned because they're an unfair advantage... not because "it's not drifting!"

If you want to do a competitive professional-style drift, by all means, go RWD and lock the room to RWD. But "drifting", for me, is first and foremost about FUN. And fun knows no race, creed, religion or drivetrain type.

Thank you.

This. Everyone else needs to take a moment to re-assess their lives. Seriously. Its a game, its meant to be fun. If you're going sideways then who cares what setup the car has? :lol:

it seems to me that people that use rwd are just annoyed to see awd come along with alot less skill and pull of crazy drifts. I enjoy drifting rwd more as i get a bigger buzz when i pull it off because i know it takes skill. But im not bothered by awd drifting/sliding as long as they are courteous on the track

all agreed, so somebody start a mass petition we can twitter/facebook/email Kaz to introduce a patch that allows a truly full VCD so that subie and evo (and skyline)lovers aren't blacklisted...you know you want to drift a rwd 22b, skyline gt-r, evo(insert # here), PD just needs to make it happen

They should do what Forza did and have basically every car have a rwd conversion.

lol.

Someday when you're better at drifting (in GT5) you'll think back to this post and give yourself a mental facepalm.

I'm no purist, i like sliding around in AWD vehicles. I love rally racing, but it requires more skill to drift RWD.

The reason people dont drift AWD in real life is because it requires massive power (to break traction in all 4 wheels) and is HELL on your drivetrain...which is expensive and a bitch to work on because it's an awd drivetrain.

Just FYI in real life my last car was a Celica GT4 and my current ride is a 350z. I've spent time sliding around in both cars under various conditions.

Thank you...

Yes^^^^^^

Back