why is Porsche never in racing games?

• Thread starter mattersend
  • 155 comments
I think it's pretty safe to say that Porsche (as well as the other high end performance brands, but we'll stick to Porsche here) isn't paying a dime to be featured heavily in EA titles. Companies like GM and Toyota probably throw money around like that (see the BreesFrees in GT5), but GM and Toyota aren't Porsche (or Ferrari or Lamborghini or...)

You serious? Because EA develops them.

Vision GT is irrelevant to this discussion. The program is handled differently enough from any traditional licencing agreement in the past that it has no bearing on how regular car licencing works.

The claim was that Video Games are not interesting for Car Companies like Porsche to gain brand awareness. Which factually is not true.

The assumption that Porsche is not paying a dime has nothing to do with the fact that they surely are interested in being present in video games and how they are presented.

Vision GT is not irrelevant. It only demonstrates the ties car companies have with the gaming industry. It's just normal product placement, made obvious.

The assumption that Porsche is not paying a dime
It's not an assumption. They don't.

has nothing to do with the fact that they surely are interested in being present in video games
Which they are. Keep up.

Vision GT is not irrelevant.
I explained in detail why it was to this conversation about Porsche. You could have saved your breath and simply posted "nuh uh" for all the meaning of what you did post has.

It's not an assumption. They don't.

Which they are. Keep up.

I explained in detail why it was to this conversation about Porsche. You could have saved your breath and simply posted "nuh uh" for all the meaning of what you did post has.

Your uneducated, arrogant attitude disqualifies you instantly from any further replies from my side. Have a good day.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Porsche (as well as the other high end performance brands, but we'll stick to Porsche here) isn't paying a dime to be featured heavily in EA titles. Companies like GM and Toyota probably throw money around like that (see the BreesFrees in GT5), but GM and Toyota aren't Porsche (or Ferrari or Lamborghini or...)
My thoughts exactly. 👍 Volume brands are not the same as super/hyper car brands. When it comes to product placement, the party that benefits the most is the one that pays. In one case, car manufacturers are lining up in front of the game dev, in the other the game devs are lining up in front of the car manufacturer.

The sole reason EA was able to negotiate an exclusive license from Porsche is because they pay enough money, it certainly wasn't the other way around. If I recall correctly, Turn10 did the same with Ferrari, but chose to double-dip instead of restrict the competition.

And let's keep this discussion civil please, play the ball, not the men/women. 👍

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. 👍 Volume brands are not the same as super/hyper car brands. When it comes to product placement, the party that benefits the most is the one that pays. In one case, car manufacturers are lining up in front of the game dev, in the other the game devs are lining up in front of the car manufacturer.
There should also be a measure of common sense applied when examining some of these deals. Porsche obviously didn't pay EA to be locked into a 16 year and counting exclusivity deal. Ferrari obviously didn't pay Microsoft for the exclusivity on the 360.

The sole reason EA was able to negotiate an exclusive license from Porsche is because they pay enough money, it certainly wasn't the other way around. If I recall correctly, Turn10 did the same with Ferrari, but chose to double-dip instead of restrict the competition.

And let's keep this discussion civil please, play the ball, not the men/women. 👍

This brings us back to the topic.

First Scenario: Let's say Porsche is interested to be present in Video Games and gets paid for it by EA. Since the deal supposedly was closed in the Mid-End-90's, and the gaming market has gone trough this explosive growth, there is a chance that Porsche totally regrets the decision from back then. In this case, EA is to blame. As explained before, EA clearly has conflicting interests and that is not good for EA (Need for Speed franchise is declining, despite the expensive Porsche license), the Gaming Market as a whole (Obviously) and not good for Porsche (Missed opportunities and revenue).

Second Scenario: Lets assume Porsche saw in the 90's that Need for Speed is a big hit and they wanted to be present in the new emerging advertising market. They invested in the NfS Brand for them to produce an exclusive, branded experience (NfS Porsche Unleashed) and saw that their move was working (In form of increased brand exposure and/or royalties on revenue). After that, they totally could have outsourced their licensing business and digital entertainment media presence to EA. Which totally would make this a symbiotic relationship that is working well for them since almost 2 decades.

There are far more possibilities and only Porsche/EA know whats in their papers.

I don't know what the truth is, but both scenarios could very well be real. In the first case, there is a chance we will see Porsche in other titles sometime soon. In the second case, none of the parties would be interested in leaving the business relationship and they will defend any attempt of intrusion for the foreseeable future.

This brings us back to the topic.

First Scenario: Let's say Porsche is interested to be present in Video Games and gets paid for it by EA. Since the deal supposedly was closed in the Mid-End-90's, and the gaming market has gone trough this explosive growth, there is a chance that Porsche totally regrets the decision from back then. In this case, EA is to blame. As explained before, EA clearly has conflicting interests and that is not good for EA (Need for Speed franchise is declining, despite the expensive Porsche license), the Gaming Market as a whole (Obviously) and not good for Porsche (Missed opportunities and revenue).

Second Scenario: Lets assume Porsche saw in the 90's that Need for Speed is a big hit and they wanted to be present in the new emerging advertising market. They invested in the NfS Brand for them to produce an exclusive, branded experience (NfS Porsche Unleashed) and saw that their move was working (In form of increased brand exposure and/or royalties on revenue). After that, they totally could have outsourced their licensing business and digital entertainment media presence to EA. Which totally would make this a symbiotic relationship that is working well for them since almost 2 decades.

There are far more possibilities and only Porsche/EA know whats in their papers.

I don't know what the truth is, but both scenarios could very well be real. In the first case, there is a chance we will see Porsche in other titles sometime soon. In the second case, none of the parties would be interested in leaving the business relationship and they will defend any attempt of intrusion for the foreseeable future.
I have a third possibility. Porsche decided to get into videogames with one company because they didn't want to be endlessly dealing with contract negotiations, dealing with modelers gaining access to their cars along with sound engineers etc. They didn't see much value in it to begin with but did it anyway and when someone said, "who sells the most games?", NFS and GT came up, a coin was flipped, a decision made and no one has given it a second thought since. Perhaps it'll change in the future, some smart, young ad exec will come along and convince them they need to be in more games and Porsche will pop up in other places.

I have a third possibility. Porsche decided to get into videogames with one company because they didn't want to be endlessly dealing with contract negotiations, dealing with modelers gaining access to their cars along with sound engineers etc. They didn't see much value in it to begin with but did it anyway and when someone said, "who sells the most games?", NFS and GT came up, a coin was flipped, a decision made and no one has given it a second thought since. Perhaps it'll change in the future, some smart, young ad exec will come along and convince them they need to be in more games and Porsche will pop up in other places.

Considering that since 2012 Porsche is now a wholly owned subsidiary of the VolksWagen group, and considering how wide spread the use of VWs, Audi's Bentley's Bugatti's and all other VW owned marquees are, I suspect the change could come sooner rather than later. At least we can hope.......

Considering that since 2012 Porsche is now a wholly owned subsidiary of the VolksWagen group, and considering how wide spread the use of VWs, Audi's Bentley's Bugatti's and all other VW owned marquees are, I suspect the change could come sooner rather than later. At least we can hope.......

Thats a good point F1Racer68. However, becoming a subsidiary does not necessarily eviscerate any legal rights or claims Porsche may have had prior to becoming a subsidiary. Also, for all we know, as part of the deal, Porsche may have retained rights to license their cars as they choose to.

And Volkswagen is a majority owned subsidiary of the Porsche holding company, which is 100% controlled by the Porsche family; with many of the former Porsche executives being shuffled into equivalent positions in VAG. Volkswagen doesn't necessarily have any more clout with dictating Porsche business deals than they did a decade ago.

Thats a good point F1Racer68. However, becoming a subsidiary does not necessarily eviscerate any legal rights or claims Porsche may have had prior to becoming a subsidiary. Also, for all we know, as part of the deal, Porsche may have retained rights to license their cars as they choose to.

No, it does not immediately nullify the current agreements. And I don't know if it will have any bearing whatsoever on Porsche's approach. What it does do however is change the internal Porsche decision makers and rule makers. It at least opens the door to the possibility of a change in direction if and when the current licensing agreement with EA expires.

some smart, young ad exec will come along and convince them they need to be in more games and Porsche will pop up in other places.
You are referring to the mail i send no? Thanks for the kind words Johnny ;)
I'm not an ad executive though
icon_dunno.gif

Maybe we can start a Kickstarter to get back the license to the people. Fight money with money. I know I'm dreaming but I cannot get out of my head that a legendary car manufacturer is going to stay with an evil company forever.

Well Porsche replied:

We enjoy listening to our Porsche fans and we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about Porsche in video games.

As you may know, in February of this year, Porsche proudly announced the introduction of the Porsche Cayman GT4. The Porsche Cayman GT4 debuted in Real Racing 3 as the first real model vehicle to be introduced in a video game. Additional information regarding future video game contracts for Porsche is not currently available.

Not very useful info regarding what they are going to do with future licenses, but at east they made the effort to answer me.

Well Porsche replied:

Not very useful info regarding what they are going to do with future licenses, but at east they made the effort to answer me.

That's more than expected, even though there is absolut no new information in this. And probably only answered by someone who isn't involved in decision making at Porsche which is sad because it means mails like yours won't have any impact :(

Well Porsche replied:

Good work M Dog. If everyone made similar enquiries (write your own version/question) we could continue to make a slight nagging fluctuation in Porsches consciousness. We could do with some relevant contact addresses. Social media, email and phone are of course worthwhile. Actual paper letters and also fax use can be very effective (if they still use fax) as it keeps the office supplies team busy changing the rolls of fax paper and get's noticed. Letters have to be dealt with: opened, read, responded to which involves time. If driving game fans made it more hassle for Porsche answering/dealing with these enquiries than it saves them using EA then someone might just make a different decision.

Thats why it has this status, no other manufacturer comes even close to this tale of the tape:

Major victories and championships Porsche has won:
14 World Sportscar Championship Manufacturers' and Team Titles (1969, 1970, 1971, 1976 x 2, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1983 x 2, 1984, 1985, 1986)
6 World Sportscar Championship Drivers' Titles (1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986)
3 IMSA Supercar-Series (1991, 1992, 1993)
6 German Racing Championship (1977, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985)
20 European Hill Climbing Championship
15 IMSA Supercar-Race (USA)
16 24 Hours of Le Mans (1970, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998)
18 12 Hours of Sebring (1960, 1968, 1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 2008)
18 Daytona 24 Hours as Manufacturer (1968, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 2003)
1 International Championship for Manufacturers (1970)
11 Targa Florio (1956, 1959, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973)
4 Rallye Monte Carlo (1968, 1969, 1970, 1978)
2 Paris-Dakar Rally (1984, 1986)
1 Formula One victory (1962)

TAG-Porsche engine in McLaren cars
3 Formula One Driver World Championship (1984, 1985, 1986)
2 Formula One Constructor World Championship (1984, 1985)
25 Formula One victories (1984, 12 wins; 1985, 6 wins; 1986, 4 wins; 1987, 3 wins)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_in_motorsport

"No manufacturer even comes close". I can't agree with that sorry.
Scuderia Ferrari:
13 World Sportscar Manufacturer's Championships (no drivers titles as they left sportscars before the driver's championship was awarded)
5 Daytona 24 hours
12 12 hours of Sebring
9 24 hours of Le Mans
8 Mille Miglia
7 Targa Florio
222 Formula One race wins
682 Formula One podiums
207 Formula One pole positions
230 Formula One fastest laps
81 Formula One one-two finishes
16 Formula One constructor's championships
15 Formula One driver's championships

Porsche is undoubtedly one of the all time great racing manufacturers, but to say no other manufacturer comes close is plain wrong IMO.
I would argue that Ferrari is the greater manufacturer, due to the fact their sports cars record isn't far off Porsche's, considering they weren't in sports car racing anywhere near as long, and their record in F1, where they focused most of their energy, is incredible.
That's just my opinion, I think they're both great though :D

"No manufacturer even comes close". I can't agree with that sorry.
Scuderia Ferrari:
13 World Sportscar Manufacturer's Championships (no drivers titles as they left sportscars before the driver's championship was awarded)
5 Daytona 24 hours
12 12 hours of Sebring
9 24 hours of Le Mans
8 Mille Miglia
7 Targa Florio
222 Formula One race wins
682 Formula One podiums
207 Formula One pole positions
230 Formula One fastest laps
81 Formula One one-two finishes
16 Formula One constructor's championships
15 Formula One driver's championships

Porsche is undoubtedly one of the all time great racing manufacturers, but to say no other manufacturer comes close is plain wrong IMO.
I would argue that Ferrari is the greater manufacturer, due to the fact their sports cars record isn't far off Porsche's, considering they weren't in sports car racing anywhere near as long, and their record in F1, where they focused most of their energy, is incredible.
That's just my opinion, I think they're both great though :D
If you take out F1, Porsche wins by a mile. If you add in F1 Ferrari would win, but I'd argue that F1 has little to do with sportscar racing and is an entity all by itself. To each his own.

If you take out F1, Porsche wins by a mile. If you add in F1 Ferrari would win, but I'd argue that F1 has little to do with sportscar racing and is an entity all by itself. To each his own.

Take out sports cars and porsche has nothing though, what's your point? I wouldn't take out F1 or sportscars, because they are the two highest level motorsports over the last century. The point I made was that IMO it is false to say no other manufacturer comes close to Porsche's amazing motorsport record. Ferrari does. Porsche's stats in sportscars aren't much better than Ferrari anyway, so they would hardly win by a mile if you disregard F1. Porsche only has one more sportscar constructors title than Ferrari.

In Formula One, out the of 43 Porsches entered into a race, they only recorded one race win. In the same time period, Ferrari took nine race wins, one constructor's title and two driver's titles.

Most of the time Porsche spent winning in sportscars, Ferrari wasn't competing, just as most of the time Ferrari has spent in F1, Porsche hasn't been there, so there isn't much overlap between the two. But they are both hugely successful in their respective fields of preference. I would consider Ferrari better because they have not only that untouchable F1 record, but their sportscar record isn't far off that of Porsche.

Edit* I will add that I regard them both as untouchable giants of motorsport, head and shoulders above the rest. I just consider Ferrari the better of the two :)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back