Why is the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 so terrible?

• Thread starter Jezston
  • 85 comments
When driving the Speed 12, I usually do standing starts in 3rd gear, and don't go below that when racing. I tried a start in 6th gear, and it was faster still than some of the other cars in my garage.

odd...I tamed the "loopy beasts" with suspension twigging. of course, I'm one of the people who restrains the bleep out of the thing.

add the Ginetta and the Range Stormer to the "can't tame" list ( I need the Cizetta back so I can try my latest suspension trick on it and see if it helps).

That's fair enough. I'll have to take your word for it. It could very well be that my driving style is just not suited for the Speed 12. I generally don't think much of the American muscle cars like the Cobra 427 either because they have massive oversteer. That's not to say they aren't very quick but just not my cup of tea.

The AC 427 S/C (UK version) can be tamed with a little suspension and limited slip tuning. With R3 tires and a difficulty setting of 3 at Nurburgring, I'm up against cars like the VW W12 Nardo, Audi Le Mans quattro, Saleen S7, etc. and have little trouble beating them.
I've had no such luck in tuning the American version and wouldn't consider running it at the 'ring against anything.

odd...I tamed the "loopy beasts" with suspension twigging. of course, I'm one of the people who restrains the bleep out of the thing.

add the Ginetta and the Range Stormer to the "can't tame" list ( I need the Cizetta back so I can try my latest suspension trick on it and see if it helps).

Man, i totally agree with you about the Ginetta. That car is tricky as hell to drive (so is the Triumph Spitfire). No wonder the Ai slides it all over the place in the 1000 Miles races!

funny you should mention that Parnelli Bone, I'm doing the 2nd race in the championship for the 1000 miles race as i type this. Dead easy with the British AC 427 on B-Spec 👍. Takes a long time though... And yeh that car is MAD!

Parnelli: I don't weight drop the Ginetta.

sometimes I think I should share my suspension settings to see what people think, cause I might have the cars TOO restrained for some people.

I've never had any problems with the Range Stormer, to be honest. It is a lot more civil in practice than the Dodge Ram (which tries to drift in every single turn), so maybe my frequent use of that is part of the reason; but the only outstanding thing I've noticed about the Range Stormer is that it is slower than it seems it should be.

I've also found the Cizeta is a decent car if you drive it like a Porsche (though the brakes are still terrible).

Can we add the Zonda C12S 7.1 to the list of "beast" cars? I bought one a few hours a go and it is one heavy and strange feeling car. Looks like some suspension tweaking is needed 👍

Toronado, fit ANY race tyre and as I'm sure you already know you'll see the Range Stormer's 'glitch' which makes it the worst for racing, accelerating or anything!! On S3's it's a wonder to drive however......almost puts cars 1/2 it's weight in trouble with it's fully worked 600+ horses. :D

And 10.1sec 1/4's is slow for a 2 ton car?? :odd: Oookay, if that's what you reckon. Sure it's not a Spec-C or an Elise but it's very quick for what it is, and around a circuit it's not that slow, it keeps up with most other fast cars (Viper, Ford GT, NSX-R) in family cup if you set it up right. :)

I like racing that car around Fuji 80's personally. 👍

range stormer's weak point...slide and body lean happy

here's what I do with the suspension to lock em all up
Spring Rate +5 kilos, unless the rate is allready over 6 or so
ride height to ~100 mm (race cars may be jacked up some)
Bound 10, Rebound 5 (Originals, 10)
caster 3.0, both axles, camber +2 front, -2 rear (this even stabilies overpowered cars on greasy sport tires)*
torsion (?), 7 both.

like I said, I restrain the crap out of the suspension

* I may have the names wrong

Parnelli: I don't weight drop the Ginetta.

sometimes I think I should share my suspension settings to see what people think, cause I might have the cars TOO restrained for some people.

I dont either. Hell, the Ginetta is already so light as it is. 💡

I'd be interested in your settings, too, if you don't mind printing some. I may have lowered the rear of my Ginetta (i think) to get rid of some of its fishtailing.

I made a setup of the Speed 12 that quite a few readers seemed to like. You can find it in GTVault over here. Enjoy! Try it and let me know how you like it, and if you find Scaff's tune better - probably so because he is a much better driver & tuner than me :lol:

Parnelli: the last post on page two is where I put where I put my settings :D
I'd love to have someone give me their opinion on those, as their based on Personal experience with all five Polyphony digital games, a couple of the members on here, and even a tip from in the game itself.

Bigracer: About your location, I think enough of us Yanks know that Harlem in new york city is spelled with one A, while the original is spelled with two. still, that's thoughtful for people who don't know that "Old New York/was once Nieu Amsterdam" (hope I spelled that right)

Bigracer: About your location, I think enough of us Yanks know that Harlem in new york city is spelled with one A, while the original is spelled with two. still, that's thoughtful for people who don't know that "Old New York/was once Nieu Amsterdam" (hope I spelled that right)
Don't know if you're joking or mistaken, but I live in Haarlem in the Netherlands, that being the 'original' name of the district in New York ('Nieuw Amsterdam'). And here endeth the history lesson; let's get on talking about racing please? 👍

You guys may find the following of interest, tunes for both the Speed 12 and the Ginetta.

TVR Speed 12

Ginetta G4

Regards

Scaff

Parnelli: the last post on page two is where I put where I put my settings :D
I'd love to have someone give me their opinion on those, as their based on Personal experience with all five Polyphony digital games, a couple of the members on here, and even a tip from in the game itself.

Thanks, appreciated. I wanna try both Sniff's Ginetta and Scaff's Ginetta, too. Hmmm Sniff & Scaff :lol:

Give me a couple days....this should be fun.

Big: there's a neighborhood in NYC that's called "harlem", with one A. when the english redid everything, they butchered all the dutch names :b

Parnelli: actually, I use those settings for ALL vehicles, not just the Ginetta.

I'm not going to say that it's a terrible car in the least; it's a car that tames the driver. Nothing wrong in that.

On the other hand, in my experiences, it feels to bloody damn numb. I can't get into the feeling of the handling at all. Some of the other cars seem to just come alive when you're driving them, that feeling of connection. BMW M3, the Corvette C1, and the S2000 are all examples of cars you can just feel as you're racing. This car just ultimately reminds you that it is a machine at your disposal; a brick to bash as opposed to a scapel that carves. Just my thoughts..

Cheers,
Jetboy

it was also over forty years old when it was added, is rigged for BRITISH prefrences, and horse-width european streets laid down centuries before.

it was also over forty years old when it was added, is rigged for BRITISH prefrences, and horse-width european streets laid down centuries before.

Just to let you know....last nite i was doing a comparison between your Ginetta and Scaff's, and then i had one with my own settings. I had this whole thing written out....settings & all, when i accidentally hit the BACK button on my computer. And all the text was GONE :mad: I was pretty pissed...

Anyways, just in case i feel like doing all that work again, how exactly would you set your springs up for a G4? You said "you boost anything under 6 by 5 kilos" so i didn't touch the front springs because they were already over 6 (6.4 kg/mm). But the rear springs were set at 4.2, so i boosted them +5 to 9.2. See what i mean? Also, how would you set the limited-slip & brakes (assuming you would set these as well).

....i may or may not write up another comparison. If i do, perhaps i'll start a new thread just so things don't get too off-topic here.

ah, I was wondering if you'd try everything.

I restarted with someone's "made hybrids" game save from here (thanks too whomever, I can't find the thread), but they overpowered the cars! I mean, c'mon, a 400 horse BEAT?
I found the alternate setups today. feel like an idjit.
anyway, since I'm starting over, I have to redo the ginetta. I'd say. add HALF that (2.5) to the front springs as well...i find it best if the spring rates are close.

I've played with the limited slip since GT2, and STILL can't find my ideal *sigh*
as for brake balance, when i DO bother, it's to the offending end. usually, I let well enough alone, because of how I tweak the suspension, they behave better. it used to be +2 front camb on fronts, -2 (or more, depending on twitchiness) rear (including mid and rear-rears). now I'm putting BOTH in on ALL drives.

I'm not going to say that it's a terrible car in the least; it's a car that tames the driver. Nothing wrong in that.

On the other hand, in my experiences, it feels to bloody damn numb. I can't get into the feeling of the handling at all. Some of the other cars seem to just come alive when you're driving them, that feeling of connection. BMW M3, the Corvette C1, and the S2000 are all examples of cars you can just feel as you're racing. This car just ultimately reminds you that it is a machine at your disposal; a brick to bash as opposed to a scapel that carves. Just my thoughts..

I agree completely. Most cars for me are just another thing to drive, but there are some cars where, like you said. you can feel it. The RE Amemiya RX-7 is one of those for me, as well as the Amuse S2000 GT1.

:-)

I ran out and got a Cerbera Speed 12 just because of this thread ;)

I wouldn't call it terrible. I'd call it HILARIOUS. It totally had me laughing hysterically. Seriously, anything where you can burn out endlessly in FIFTH GEAR is just epic ridiculousness. I can actually drive it half-decently some of the time, it is indeed all about throttle control.

For true amusement I want to have a friend over to race, a guy who's not really familiar with racing games but pretty open to them, and I'll race and beat him on Nurburgring with him in the Speed 12 (probably also laughing hysterically) and me in a VW Bug...

This will either reveal to him the coolness of GT or ruin it for him for life...

Seriously, it reminds me of the Top Gear segment where Clarkson is reviewing some sort of American supercar and he says, this is the most astonishing handling- grip for days, you can take it right to the very edge of grip with total control- and then it kills you! :D

Minus that 'grip' business and you basically have it :)

as stated the most...this car needs gentle little finger on the "X" button (or accelerator button) on your gamepad......

*u will find actually u able to adjust the throttle level by varying the pressure on the button...

-i like this car in gt2 but not really likes it in gt4....but still it was fun trying to keep the beast tame and undercontrol....it is what driving is all about B)

Man, I thought I was going to eat it on the first TVR manufacturer race (I used a straight off the used lot Griffith 500, with the TCS turned off), being matched up with this torque monster, but fortunately, the AI drivers were very afraid to even open it up at all. I won with a .2 second margin. The Speed 12 clawed his way up after I warming up his tires I presume. The race was worth 160 points :D

there was a guy that made a setup that made the car handle well and made the car fast even on tracks like citta di Aria. Was a guy by the username of Skyline49. I tested it, it was a good setup.

So I've been playing a little while now, and recently won the TVR Blackpool Racers and am now the ... well, not-so-proud owner of a TVR Speed 12.

Why not so proud? Because it's awful! Even after installing the supercharger taking the power up to 1000+ bhp and pulling back the transmission, this car is SLOW. Even on a b-level professional race, all my opponents pull away straight away never to be seen again. The Tuscan I won it with absolutely destroys it in every way.

Surely I must be missing something here? Surely a car that powerful with that high a retail tag must have some use?

I just acquired one of these, and put in the supercharger, etc. I think I got it up to 240 mph on the test track.

Back