Why the Chaparral 2J is a Cheat Car

• Thread starter Polsixe
  • 64 comments
Canada
Thornhill
polsixe
Yes it wins a lot and easily in the 600-650 brackets with any tires. Once you are frustrated use it to get the level and move on.

Now the reason is that it is closer to a ~729pp car not a 646pp as gifted to all by Polyphony Digital. If you take the power to weight ratio, HP/ kg or 703/821 you get 0.857. Now the magic, using Microsoft Excel and 1090 cars and all their respective HP/kg numbers (props to myGranturismo.net) you can derive a PP formula, PP= 770.3 * ((HP/kg)^.3583). For the 2J this works out to 729. Most other cars the calculated PP is close to the game PP.

Other cars with very large hidden PP advantages are the Gillet Vertigo Race Car '04, the Toyota Minolta 88C-V, Suzuki Escudo '98, Nissan R92CP, TVR Cerbera Speed 12. I 've tried a detuned Gillet in the 650PP races but it is still pretty squirrelly. The Minolta is often named as a killer LMP, it calcs out as a 798.

Since many GT5 drivers seem to be super honest (must be golfers) and refuse to use aids, the "concrete" patches on some corners, etc., perhaps you should also avoid the 2J? It is like getting a 350 yd golfball by accident in a box.

Yes it wins a lot and easily in the 600-650 brackets with any tires. Once you are frustrated use it to get the level and move on.

Now the reason is that it is closer to a ~729pp car not a 646pp as gifted to all by Polyphony Digital. If you take the power to weight ratio, HP/ kg or 703/821 you get 0.857. Now the magic, using Microsoft Excel and 1090 cars and all their respective HP/kg numbers (props to myGranturismo.net) you can derive a PP formula, PP= 770.3 * ((HP/kg)^.3583). For the 2J this works out to 729. Most other cars the calculated PP is close to the game PP.

Other cars with very large hidden PP advantages are the Gillet Vertigo Race Car '04, the Toyota Minolta 88C-V, Suzuki Escudo '98, Nissan R92CP, TVR Cerbera Speed 12. I 've tried a detuned Gillet in the 650PP races but it is still pretty squirrelly. The Minolta is often named as a killer LMP, it calcs out as a 798.

Since many GT5 drivers seem to be super honest (must be golfers) and refuse to use aids, the "concrete" patches on some corners, etc., perhaps you should also avoid the 2J? It is like getting a 350 yd golfball by accident in a box.

Yes mom, WHAT !

You should go to bed and stop worrying about useless stuff like that. I'd understand if it affected your "gaming experience", but I doubt that using the 2J in MY HOUSE, on MY GAME from my GAMESAVE, OFFLINE by MYSELF affects you in anyway. If so, you should consult a doctor.

Now, where's my 2J for easy money ?

The real problem is that some cars should never be racing each other, but that's the "magic" of Gran Turismo, and there's nothing you can do about it, unless you become the boss of PD someday and if it happens, it'll be a sad day in GT history.

PP has far more things calculated in it than PWR. That's why it is called PP and not PWR. If the PP of the 2J when stock was above 675, it would be slaughtered 10 times out of 10.

That isn't to say that the rating is perhaps lower than it should be, because it probably still is even though PD fixed it a little while ago. But a cheat car?

I find it OK but not the killer car every else seems to find it to be. I have two with 6 different tunes in the tune sheets and I can't really say it's a lot faster than other 650pp cars.

Are you aware that the Chaparral 2J is a fan car, similar to the X2010 / X2011? That's where all that grip is coming from. The fan will produce downforce on the car, even when it's not moving. This means that you have additional downforce when travelling at high speeds, and you still have sufficient downforce at lower speeds. Remove the fan, and watch the grip of the car plummet.

I haven't had to use it much really. Ugly looking car indeed, and the extra grip requires a different driving style, much like an old red bull 2010

My only gripe with the 2J is the 3 speed gearbox, I find myself tuning the top speed specifically for each track I take it on.

It's within the rules.

IIRC it was only allowed to start a race three or so times before it was banned! Given we race concept cars which, even when actually built, are usually dogs to drive, why worry? It was an excellent idea, too good for the FIA to allow to dominate the races it was built to run in. In F1 the Brabham fan car did worse. Allowed to run once and then banned.

Sometimes good ideas are just too far ahead of the rest.

Given we have the 2D and 2J, I'd love to see the 2H, similar to the 2D but with a large movable wing high up above it, and allowed to enter more races too! The three speed box was automatic and had a huge torque converter IIRC. All of this is from my slot car racing days some 40 odd years ago, Although I had it in mind that at least one of them was a two speed box. Not sure which or even if that's correct, but I'm sure Google will tell all.

In GT on circuits with slow corners I tend to set 1st as low as it will go after setting the required top speed, then adjust 2nd down about half way from the original setting toward the lower limit With the stock low speed turbo this gets you out of those slow corners very nicely. For an oval just select to get the top speed you need and away you go!

Last edited:
In GT on circuits with slow corners I tend to set 1st as low as it will go after setting the required top speed, then adjust 2nd down about half way from the original setting toward the lower limit With the stock low speed turbo this gets you out of those slow corners very nicely. For an oval just select to get the top speed you need and away you go!

I will try this !
I was setting the 1st gear as long as possible, what you suggest sounds better.

Susan Boyle disproves this.

hahahaha, Now that was funny. I laughed. Technically it should have been "...proves this" but what you said is much better, as I assume you were being sarcastic.

edit-actually, my kids just informed me that she didn't win. Oh well I still laughed.

Interesting fact about the chaparrals:
They both can accelerate in reverse upto ~110 mph very rapidly.

Now back on topic, i wouldnt consider it to be a cheat car. Although it has extremely fast acceleration, its top speed is very limited and handling is horrible. I have never had any problem beating any chapparal in any race.

Last edited:
http://[domain blocked due to malware]/instances/400x/17424445.jpg

There you go ... the truth.

Now back on topic, i wouldnt consider it to be a cheat car. Although it has extremely fast acceleration, its top speed is very limited and handling is horrible. I have never had any problem beating any chapparal in any race.

I had mine clocking 200mph on the final straight on the Nordscheife today, Low Turbo as stock and I choose the speed I thought it'd do in 'Transmission'. Add a High Turbo and the speed is excellent, although you do lose a little acceleration, well OK a lot at very low speeds, say <50mph. Playing with the 1st and 2nd gear ratios after choosing the top speed helps.

I agree the handling isn't that good, but there are a lot of cars a lot worse than the 2J in the handling department.

I agree on these points, with the exception that its handling is great in very tight tracks where hard on brakes is followed by tight turns, then by power on out of the bends are all involved. For example, I was finding the Madrid seasonal a while back quite hard to beat. Managed to do it with the Toyota One GT, but then got the 2J out of the UCD and subsequently found it super easy. I was amazed at how hard the Chappie braked, turned sharp, then flew out of turns. It was the perfect car for that type of race, and I felt like I could just carve my way through the field.

Now when it comes to the Nordschliefe, it's terrible! Not nearly enough top end, and squirrelly grip in long open sweepers where LMP cars are at home. That's the 2J's weakness, from what I have experienced.

I had mine clocking 200mph on the final straight on the Nordscheife today, Low Turbo as stock and I choose the speed I thought it'd do in 'Transmission'. Add a High Turbo and the speed is excellent, although you do lose a little acceleration, well OK a lot at very low speeds, say <50mph. Playing with the 1st and 2nd gear ratios after choosing the top speed helps.

I agree the handling isn't that good, but there are a lot of cars a lot worse than the 2J in the handling department.

I agree on these points, with the exception that its handling is great in very tight tracks where hard on brakes is followed by tight turns, then by power on out of the bends are all involved. For example, I was finding the Madrid seasonal a while back quite hard to beat. Managed to do it with the Toyota One GT, but then got the 2J out of the UCD and subsequently found it super easy. I was amazed at how hard the Chappie braked, turned sharp, then flew out of turns. It was the perfect car for that type of race, and I felt like I could just carve my way through the field.

Now when it comes to the Nordschliefe, it's terrible! Not nearly enough top end, and squirrelly grip in long open sweepers where LMP cars are at home. That's the 2J's weakness, from what I have experienced.

Now I will admit that I haven't actually driven the Chaparral 2J before, but I must say that I imagined it to be a better car in terms of handing due to the fan creating extra downforce.

I find it's a great car to have for B-Spec but I can't control it at all when I'm driving it and don't really find it easy to win a race with so to me it isn't really a "cheat" car. It's too jittery.

I don't own one, the 650PP races I win quite well with the xazani gtr I would enjoy a 2j for the time trail races..

Point and squirt tracks like the longer Madrid circuit may well be easier with the 2J, but even there I found the Mclaren F1 GTR a better and easier bet.

The 2J is a love or hate car. You either adore it and treasure it like myself, or loath it on as many accounts as possible.

I love this car because of its sheer uniqueness and difficaulty to drive. Using this in the Nurb seasonal not only made me learn to drive the car better, but the track better, learning how to overtake offline on Dottinger-Hohe, etc. Especially Flugplatz, offline & overtaking.. the sheer terror of the aerodynamics creating upward lift and making you fly 30 feet, before landing and trying to navigate the corner, is truly terrifying, but one of the most amazing things i've ever seen in the game. I love this car, because of its flaws. I like the fact its unique, it makes you feel different, special, if you like.

If you can tame the beast, its one of the best cars in the game in my opinion. If you can't (or can't be bothered to), you have no idea what you are missing out on 👍

Now a massive U-Turn back OT..

It is not a cheat car.
Sure, it's PP is almost certainly a little off, but if it confines to the rules, whats the big deal?

Back