Why the Chaparral 2J is a Cheat Car

• Thread starter Polsixe
  • 64 comments
Well, i think that allmost all the top 100 cars in the last Spa TT where J2 cars, i think that sais enough about the fact the J2 is too good.

Not quite accurate Johof, the following from Ultimatecarpage.com.

Elford was allowed to compete in the final race and he gave the car a fitting final outing by putting it on pole again, 2.2 seconds clear of the rest. Sadly the fan motor broke once again in the middle of a very high speed corner. With no suction, the car lost almost all grip, but fortunately Elford managed to keep the car out of the wall.

~~

True it never won a race due to mechanical problems, but it did start on pole in every race it entered, and up to 2.2 seconds quicker than the 2nd place car.

The other drivers did complained about rocks being thrown at them because movable aerodynamic devices were not yet prohibited. They had to come up with a better reason than "It's too good." Ultimately the other teams were just sore sports because they couldn't make it work themselves. The car also only started on pole in 3 of it's 4 races. Despite Jackie Stewart posting fast lap in the 2J at Watkins-Glen, he was not the pole sitter. Brian Redman sat pole in a Porsche 917.

Labelling it a cheat car is a bit extreme and mostly hyperbole, but there's no denying the 2J is dramatically underrated by the PP system. This is something that should be addressed in GT6 but I fear it won't. PD's first foray into altering the PP system was a complete disaster and shows that they have no clue what is wrong with the system or how to fix it and so they'll likely leave it alone. It would be nice if a larger number of cars were competitive in TT's and not just the handful the dramaticaly break the system, would really add to the playability of the game.

The PP system is probably impossible to fix. It's based on a mathematic formula and no matter how you do it it's gonna get screwed up in one way or another, because what it does is that it takes a lot of very different variables and bake them down into a single number to say how good the car is.

For cars with similar variables (size, weight, drivetrain, downforce and engine) it's probably going to do a pretty good job.

For cars with different variables it's always going to fail, in one way or another.

As for Time Trials, there's always one car that is better than the others and this one car will always be in the top. Once in a while it's the 2J, it's hardly any worse than when it's the M3 or the NSX or whatever. As long as the time trials aren't designed so that you must use one specific car to be able to gold the event, I'm totally fine with that.

Well, i think that allmost all the top 100 cars in the last Spa TT where J2 cars, i think that sais enough about the fact the J2 is too good.

No it doesn't. What it says is that all the top players in seasonal time trials use the same cars. It's nothing unique about the 2J, just look at this list for instance:

http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?sec=3&board=132

Out of the top 250 cars, all but 15 were Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce '09.

Or this list:

http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?sec=3&board=116

All but three cars were the Ford RS200 Rally Car.

And this:

http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?sec=3&board=109

And then look at this list:

http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?sec=3&board=146

Does the 2J dominate the list? Yes. Is it any worse than the previous lists I shared? No.

Last edited:
The 2J is one of the ugliest looking cars of GT5 in my book. Even if it's present on my races, I've never actually seen it's usefulness. It's just something that runs that fast for a very light race car.

Why are so many people saying the car handels like crap?
Ummm... Same setup as a X1, which handels like a slot car.
So last time I checked it handels like a dream and bob loves it!
I think its yalls driving not the car hence its wicked lap times like go karts.
I ran a 1:21 at TGTT in a ford gt stock. Then a 1:24 in a go kart. Are yall gonna say its a cheat car cause it has 29 hp!?
Not much off the time but dang quick for almost 600 less HP!

Back