Why use driving assits?

Why do people use them when doing Time Attack? Is it just to get a faster time? Also, I'd like to see a seperate section or something for times without ANY assists..

Some people have a hard time conmtrolling the car without them. A small amount of traction control can be a good thing on very high P/W cars, but personally, I turn them all off on all my cars. The stability assists are horrible and were in GT3, also.

Welcome to GTPlanet.

I'm going to try to break the 1'08 mark on laguna seca without any assists...what car to use? I realize it might be a very good thing to use a small amount of TC but I really do not like having the assists, granted my times are 2 seconds slower with them on lol

Well, I believe the sterring assists are for if you are using the basic controller. I turn them completely off because they actually don't allow me to drive like I want to, but I use the Logitec Steering Wheel.

As for the TCS, I often have it set to zero. Nice for powerslides and drifting. I think you have to have the steering assists off for drifting as well. When I use the TCS, I found a setting of 1 per 100 HP works well for me for a starting point and I normally don't need to change it from there.

personaly i cant stand the assits and why they are in the game at all aside from cars that actually have TCS and stability systems in GT3 i did 5 laps at the complex string in a stock cobra then 5 more with out assits and ran 5 sec a lap faster. So i leave them off, in fact thats the first adjustment i make to any car, the only thing i left on was TCS set to 1 for the indy cars in GT3 :)

Wild Cobra Z28
When I use the TCS, I found a setting of 1 per 100 HP works well for me for a starting point and I normally don't need to change it from there.
That is a good rule of thumb. I use a controller which was actually faster than a wheel in GT2, so I stuck with it. ASM works by applying brakes, I think that is why most people dislike it. When I use it I feel like I am driving with ski gloves on. However, I am a button masher and with TCS I didn't have to learn to "tap" the throttle button. Almost all my cars have TCS at 3, some LMP's and 1000+ hp cars have 4 and smaller cars have 2. I carefully tested TCS on my F1 and TCS 4 was faster accelerating than any setting including 0.

its hard not to use TCS on some super powered cars just because its harder to control wheelspin using the controller, which i do.
i normally dont go above 4 TCS setting on the most powerful cars, (3 on the pescarolo works good for me) just so i can get some traction out of low speed corners without having to worry about throttle control. i never use ASM, with most regular road cars i dont use TCS at all.

YAY no TCS at all..ASM is lame, but I guess I'm starting to see why people use TCS. lol I've never had a problem with no TCS on the super powered cars. But it's hard to turn consistent laps because you have to focus on doing everything properly.

I don't think you earn any time not using tcs. The only possible advantage for no tcs is that the car would be fractionally quicker, zero tcs is for dilettantes.

agreed, nicely put. if u dont use tcs, i believe that with all the wheelspin and the amount of time that u need to gain control and/or slowly gas the accelerator is not relaly worth it. if u got some low powered car, then go for it, but the 99c, c9 and most other 900+ hp cars def need it. think about it this way, id rather lose some time from the tcs than to kill my tires in a 24hr race and have to pit 4 more times than usual.

djaft3rb3ats

You don't need TCS for any FF cars below 235hp (it's hard to get them to hook up, but TCS makes turning difficult); for any RWD cars below 600hp; or for any unmodified racecar.

I only use TCS if you can't drive 2nd and 3rd gear without it.

ASM makes everything dog-slow. No matter how smoothly you drive, it'll still take about 10% off your performance. I can always tell when it's on, feels like driving through molasses... or driving a new Mercedes... same thing.

Well...

I never use ASM. :indiff:

TCS on the other hand. :mischievous:
I use tcs from time to time. My lap times are often faster with tcs. More than anything else it just depends on the car being used.

With low powered cars I rarely use tcs. With high powered cars I use it pretty regularly.
HP is not the be and end all to deciding on tcs.
Some cars just "hook-up" to the road when others don't.

Just my simple opinion here, but... :embarrassed:

Each of us have personal prefferences regarding driving aids.
What works for one of us might not work for another.

Experiment for a while and eventually you will know what works best for you.

Kent
Some cars just "hook-up" to the road when others don't.

Agree with everything else you said, too.

It's amazing how *some* ridiculously high powered cars seem to get the hammer down much faster and smoother than *other* moderately high powered cars... some cars can just take more power due to weight/downforce/tire size/etc.

I just don't like things that think for me. I'd rather learn the control myself - or, if I fail to learn it, at least to know that what the car is doing is the result of my input alone.

I will only use a touch of TCS in very high-powered cars. In the 'fab slabs' I may use 1 or 2 at the maximum. Lower power cars that refuse to hook up usually have other issues that make them non-fun to drive, and so I just look somewhere else.

Duke
Some people have a hard time conmtrolling the car without them. A small amount of traction control can be a good thing on very high P/W cars, but personally, I turn them all off on all my cars. The stability assists are horrible and were in GT3, also.

Welcome to GTPlanet.

That's about right.

Me I usually don't play with Driving Aid, but it's really useful for training. Cause it act as a trainer when it flash. So it show when you're too rough with the handling.

i agree fully duke, tcs doesnt really give u the feel for the car since its really u driving, its the comp, but there are tiems when u have to use that car and that car just doesnt feel like going correctly

djaft3rb3ats

Latest Posts

Back