Why Would Nascar???

  • Thread starter Thread starter NotSoSilentBob
  • 62 comments
  • 6,413 views
Can we at least get Daytona at night, and decent crashes without the strange bumping and the ability to roll your car.
 
Can we at least get Daytona at night, and decent crashes without the strange bumping and the ability to roll your car.
The netcode in GT5's multiplayer is pretty solid, but one place where it falls apart is definitely as soon as cars start to spin out, and the prediction algorithm decides it can't figure out where the car is headed anymore :p
 
It wouldn't require ASM if they actually programmed the AI to take the banks at Daytona properly, either by telling them to just go flat out (duh :dunce:) or by removing their ASM, if they have ASM on that is. The AI have always been slow on the banks at Daytona even back in the races on Prologue. :yuck:
 
The netcode in GT5's multiplayer is pretty solid, but one place where it falls apart is definitely as soon as cars start to spin out, and the prediction algorithm decides it can't figure out where the car is headed anymore :p

Ah, I've always wondered why the crashes look retarded.
 
Anyway I'm a mis miffed by this thread.

Sure I can understand the frustration, but when has Gran Turismo's singleplayer not been a contrived challenge?
 
Let their name be tarnished by this whore-able addition in GT5? They artificially inflate the difficulty by requiring ASM for the Oval tracks only? God damn now I understand why most people say they should have left this out. It is not even close to the real thing. They make it so much of a piss off event this whole game is starting to really be come crappy.



PS if you can't tell 4 1/2 hrs trying to get just the Daytona race done. Farthest I've gotten is 5 laps before I get spun and end up about 12 secs back.


Why do they have to require ASM just to make it seem harder?

Thanks for breaking the AuP, you have been reported. Enjoy your ban and have a nice day.
 
Thanks for breaking the AuP, you have been reported. Enjoy your ban and have a nice day.

Say what?

Took me a second, now I see it. I don't think he's going to get anything more than a warning for that one, pal. :indiff:
 
Say what?

Took me a second, now I see it. I don't think he's going to get anything more than a warning for that one, pal. :indiff:

There's only 1 way to find out.
 
Although not implemented as well as some people would have wanted. I feel though some of the NASCAR races I have had online and offline have been awesome. For the Daytona 10 lap event, disable the ABS and the ASM will turn off, and as long as you don't drive like a maniac and respect the other drivers (ie allowing draft lines to pass) then your racing will be amazing.

you cant put the abs on 0 anymore for the ovals but you can on the others for some reason.

i've given up on the last oval race for a while its only the last race i need to get but i still have the fgt champ to do so gonna move onto that.
 
I know. I was joking.


And you forgot Mexico City.

nationwide stopped running mexico city after '08, unfortunately. it was replaced in '10 with road america.

here's a quick video for anybody who thinks NASCAR has terrible racing.

 
The Gran Turismo series has never accurately represented a single race series, nor simulated the whole "race weekend" event properly.

If you were a GT fan and bought GT5 expecting it to accurately represent NASCAR, you're just as dumb as someone who might have expected a full-on accurate DTM, F1, JGTC, or rally event in the game.

Kaz seems to skip from racing form to racing form, like a rock across the surface of a pond. Gran Turismo touches on most forms of motoring, but never dives too deep into a single one.

Given their bragging over all the licenses they got, and their advertising, I'd think expecting accurate representations of races was reasonable. PD mistakenly chose to be secretive and let people take what they wanted from the trailers, though this is a double edged sword in that while it doesn't say what won't be in the game, it also doesn't say what will.

But it's a pretty normal expectation to see improvements when a franchise goes from one game to the next. GT has never had accurate racing, GT5 would have been the perfect opportunity to change that. Defending PD and saying "well what did you expect" won't help fix their lack of effort in my mind.

Like the game or not, I really think it's best to tell it like it is. A good game deserves just to be judged just as harshly as a bad one. Perhaps it should be the one judged more harshly.
 
If you want a game that simulates a real racing weekend then the GT series will NEVER be the game for you. You've been a fan of GT series before then you should have known better.

NASCAR on GT5 can be really fun online w/ drivers who knows how to drive.
 
Glad I golded it before those restrictions were added. I wish PD explained why they do things.
 
They did run that race under green. Look it up. They even have windshield wipers!!

You are correct they did run that race under green in the rain. however that is the nationwide series of NASCAR(kind of like the minor league in baseball). NW cars have about 150ish less horsepower than the Sprint cup cars featured in GT5 making them more manageable to drive in wet weather.

Nascar Sprint cup cars irl are heavy and don't have much downforce making them pretty pointless to drive in rain.
 


That doesn't appear to be the cup series racing the rain. That series does run in the rain, but only on road courses as the rain tires don't work the way they should on ovals.
 
All of the licences were underused and/or used completely incorrectly in GT5, honestly the joke of Top Gear was the most disapointing thing.

Y'know it just becomes like adapting a horror movie for children to watch, it would just be the non-trampy college girl playing checkers with her friend for a while, then fade to black and a nice panda tells you that they had to move to Fiji and you'll never see them again.. Completely defeats the point.
 
That doesn't appear to be the cup series racing the rain. That series does run in the rain, but only on road courses as the rain tires don't work the way they should on ovals.

Nationwide series does. Though only when its a road course. I wish they would let Sprint cup series run in rain. I always enjoyed seeing the Nationwide rain race. Takes skill in a stock car to do what they do. 👍
 
Nascars "Good" Name got thrown out and run over when they went from actual stock cars to uniform fiberglass bodies rollcages.
 
Nascars "Good" Name got thrown out and run over when they went from actual stock cars to uniform fiberglass bodies rollcages.

I can agree with that. I would consider this the final answer to why/when Nascar let their name be turned to junk.
 
I've been telling NASCAR fans since before the game was even released that if they're wanting a NASCAR game to look elsewhere.

NASCAR The Game 2011 is quite good, for NASCAR fans such as myself.
 
All of the licences were underused and/or used completely incorrectly in GT5, honestly the joke of Top Gear was the most disapointing thing.

Yes truly. Would it have been so hard to change the pit animations for each of the licenced series? Or have flags? Or provide an online option for X type of race? Or recreate their points system?

PD had plenty of time, but they chose to use it all on making obscene numbers of polygons that count for nothing when you're actually playing the game.
 
The video posted shows the race being ran under the yellow flag, NASCAR will not run a race in rain. Goodyear does have rain tires, and the they were use once at the exhibition race in Suzuka Japan, they practiced on rain tires, that was the closet to racing in the rain that they get.

LOL your screen name is nascar49 and you have no idea what you are talking about.

Nascar so far has only run nationwide series cars in the rain. They will only do it on a road course and usualy it has to be one that is far away... Like the video. They are in montral and if they didn't race on sunday they do not have any other days to make it up since they have to load the trucks and get on the road.

In order to do it they install windshield wipers and a brake light on each car.

There was some small talk about rain racing with the cup cars but it does not sound like it will happen.
 
O.G. Poster needs to chill out and just enjoy the friggin game! To be Honest most people can care less about NASCAR except Americans, so probably the only reason they even wasted time putting NASCAR cars and Tracks in the game was to appeal to the American Audience....If you ask me PD should have left out NASCAR completely and had a Drifting Tutorial with Keichi Tsuchiya teaching us the Fine art of Drift and having challenges based around that.
 
I really wish Watkins Glen was in GT5 though. It's one of my favorite tracks.
 
Offtopic tripe removed - I strongly suggest "gentlemen" that you stay on topic. As we are running out of mops to clean up spills we will resort to infractions if this continues in here.
 
Small tip. Downgrade the updates to pre-1.06 and you have no forced ASM.
Just turn ABS to 0 - it will set the ASM off in pre-1.06 versions.
 
I really wish Watkins Glen was in GT5 though. It's one of my favorite tracks.

I second that. Plus the track runs the Rolex Grand-Am Series as well. It also has a 20 year history with F1. Sears Point/Infineon was in previous GT games, and NASCAR has been racing that road course for years.
 
Back