Wii U Project Cars Discussion

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 239 comments
Canada
Oak Bay, NB, Canada
Bic44
So, I have seen very little on how project Cars is coming along for the Wii U. Just thought I'd see if anyone had interest in discussing, speculating or even finding out new information on what features/missing components there will be. Maybe I will find some fellow Wii U owners who I can eventually even race with

I am not under the illusion that Wii U will be better than the other versions, but I am hoping it will be good. I have a burning question too - is there any clue as to when this game is coming out? 2015 is pretty vague. Are we talking November or is it more like February or March?? Also what about a wheel or analog controller?

So, I have seen very little on how project Cars is coming along for the Wii U. Just thought I'd see if anyone had interest in discussing, speculating or even finding out new information on what features/missing components there will be. Maybe I will find some fellow Wii U owners who I can eventually even race with

I am not under the illusion that Wii U will be better than the other versions, but I am hoping it will be good. I have a burning question too - is there any clue as to when this game is coming out? 2015 is pretty vague. Are we talking November or is it more like February or March?? Also what about a wheel or analog controller?
I believe 1st or second quarter but other than that they've kept the focus on the PC an consoles.

At this point I'm pretty confident in my theory that the Wii U version was delayed because they're actually finishing the game before shipping out the discs. WMD members have indicated that there will be some stuff left to implement and fix up after the XBone/PS4/PC launch. With 8GB storage on the base unit, the Wii U wasn't really made to complement that ship it now, patch it later mentality. Depending on how long it takes for the early patches/updates to roll out and how long it takes for the Wii U version to reach store shelves, we could all be playing the "complete" game around the same time.

I don't know when, and WMD members don't either because SMS is tight-lipped about the Wii U version (after one too many info leaks), but I expect it to show up within the first months of 2015.

On the subject of analog controls, don't hold your breath for a FFB wheel, but I intend to use the right analog stick. I'm also going to try motion steering with the analog sticks acting as the brake and throttle independently.

I think the motion steering COULD work, but maybe a good idea would be to make a wheel with a stand. Then make a spot in the wheel where you can put the gamepad. And when I say wheel, I don't mean anything that plugs in, just a frame to put the gamepad in so it could be relatively inexpensive.

Good news if you two are correct about the first quarter of 2015. Really really hope so

@Wolfe - That is good news. I will have to google that. PCARS seems committed to bringing a realistic racer, even on the Wii U, so I imagine they will have something in mind. I have a soft spot for Nintendo, so I really hope they pull this off. And, hey, they have the best selling racing franchise of all time :D

Woo, a thread. :D

I will be picking up the Wii U version of project CARS whenever it lands, I am getting a PS4 for Christmas and will get pCARS for that. But, if not for the sake of comparison more than anything, I'm still more excited about the Wii U version. The fact we have a 3rd party dev supporting the console heavily is more than exciting.

That is why I started this thread, there is tidbits about the Wii U version spread around the internet, but every thread/discussion would be mainly PC/PS4/Xbone and then, oh yeah, that Wii U version. I, for one, enjoy speculating a bit. Ok, a lot. I picture an eventual FFB wheel that you can put the gamepad into. You can have buttons, dials, etc on it similar to an F1 car. THAT would make it unique. And, if marketed right, get some people to buy the system. Pure speculation, I know :)

No one will ever buy a Wii U specifically for a simulation racing experience unless they're a weirdo like me. :lol: I knew I'd want one for the usual Nintendo IPs, but PCARS was one of my motivations to pull the trigger last year.

No one will ever buy a Wii U specifically for a simulation racing experience unless they're a weirdo like me. :lol: I knew I'd want one for the usual Nintendo IPs, but PCARS was one of my motivations to pull the trigger last year.
People should buy the Wii U for it's fantastic array of exclusives. 👍

@Classic Yes they should! It's actually quite fun with Donkey Kong, Mario Kart and Mario World. I love my sim racing, but sometimes you need a diversion. Plus, taking your frustrations out on other drivers with a red shell sometimes is just satisfying.

@Wolfe I think I found that wheel you were talking about. I found one made by the company cyber gadget, and according to a couple people, the wheel will actually return to the center on it's own. And have a little bit of resistance when turning (not much I'm led to believe). I just messaged them on facebook because all their product features are in Japanese, so I am awaiting response from them. It might be worth getting I'm thinking. It may even be fun on Mario Kart haha. And, at $42, it is not the end of the world if it isn't great. Especially if that is the only wheel option

I had wondered if the Cyber Gadget stand was spring loaded. I started out in sim racing with a simple spring-loaded 180-degree wheel, so I'm down with that. 👍

It was in the comments section, but the guy seemed pretty sure of himself, so hopefully that is correct. Cyber Gadget did respond to me, telling me international shipping would be my big expense and that I would need to get in touch with the sales department, so it was pretty vague. If the shipping is more than the cost, I am going to need to do my homework before making a purchase

So the PC/PS4/XBone versions are getting wrapped up this week, and it seems safe to assume SMS had devoted most or all of their resources to getting those versions done. They've already talked about getting back to work on updates and DLC...how about the Wii U?

Well, they must have added this to the FAQ on projectcarsgame.com around the same time they confirmed the XBone version would output 900p:
projectcarsgame.com
What about the Wii U resolution?
More info will be released in an upcoming featured article.
And BandaiNamcoUK had this to say on twitter:

Image2.png

Not really news, but it's something. I figured we could dust off this thread and leave the PC/PS4/XBone guys to enjoy their launch day euphoria. Thoughts? Wishlists of features for the GamePad screen?

@Classic @Benny44 @Craze63AMG @RESHIRAM5

My main interest in Project CARS is the Wii U entry because that's why I was interested in the first place. I am picking up the PS4 version because I have literally nothing substantial to play on it currently and it does look great. :lol:

Until we see some footage, I wait with held breath on how far its coming along.

Plus, it'll give me a head-start on all you guys when it comes out! :sly: :P

^ I won't mind even if it takes until 2016, as long as it shows up. My mind is preoccupied with XCX now. :lol:

I'm starting to get excited about this. According to IGN, the game has officially gone gold (the article was posted about half an hour ago). I'm pretty much echoing everything you're saying, @Wolfe. Once that first big patch is out, they will really be able to focus on Wii U a lot more. If this is as good as it looks to be, and we don't get a seriously stripped down version, Nintendo will finally have a racer worth playing (MK8 notwithstanding).
For me personally I'm not worried at all about 1080p....I would rather have a smooth frame rate any day. 720 is just fine.

Fyi, I sent an email to cyber gadget asking for shipping details to this side of the pond. I may be ordering one soon if it isn't more than $20 or $30 for shipping.

Why not just bite the bullet and get a PS4 or PC, instead of faffing around with the Wii?
I'm interested in Project CARS for its gameplay features, selection of cars, dynamic weather/time, and unparalleled track list. I couldn't care less if it runs lower graphics settings on Wii U, and since the game is on PC we already know what those settings look like:

Maybe you're one of the guys around here who's a sim racer foremost? I bought a Wii U to play other games, too, and for once I'd love to be able to keep everything on the same box instead of buying a Playstation/Xbox as a secondary console just to play racing games. Been there, done that.

I was very surprised that sms chose to keep the Wii U version considering they cancelled the PS3 / 360 versions.

The necessary graphical downgrade and set of compromises compared to PS4/One would have been roughly similar on Wii U / PS3 / 360.... and looking at Forza 4 / GT6 forums, there are still significant racing communities on the PS3/360 platforms.

Anyway I am interested to see this "Project Cars U" even if I will certainly never play it.

... But honestly, if one has both PS4 and Wii U, I do not see any good reason to go for the U version.

I have a WiiU, and I still think this game is a strange match for that console. There won't be any wheel support, the controllers lack analogue triggers, and the graphics are going to be close to the two consoles they dropped. I guess at least they have a lot more RAM to work with. Perhaps twice as much RAM compared to PS360 is just enough to make the game's physics run at an acceptable level compared to PS4 and X1.

Having owned my Wii U long before getting my PS4, I can tell you straight up why I am buying the Wii U version of Project CARS. Ever since consoles took the guise of underpowered bloated gaming PC, developers have been less inclusive to consoles which don't conform to traditional development standards. If a game isnt scalable or portable to a certain console, it is ignored(See Dreamcast and now Wii U). Third Party developers like Ubisoft have hid behind bull 🤬 excuses like the only games that sell well on Wii U they have made is party games when their biggest hit was ZombiU, very much in the oppisite direction. SMS are taking the plunge and for me that is an admirable trait. They are trying to be inclusive of all audiences, regardless of snooty sim racers turning up their noses and oddly over-confident singluar console owners stating that its pointless. SMS deserve my purchase if they keep their promise of bringing out the Wii U version, like @Wolfe if the U version od Pcars is good enough I will love it. And yes, Im buying the PS4 one too. Mostly because nothing else is really interesting me on PS4 for a while outside of generic sports games.
I was very surprised that sms chose to keep the Wii U version considering they cancelled the PS3 / 360 versions.

The necessary graphical downgrade and set of compromises compared to PS4/One would have been roughly similar on Wii U / PS3 / 360.... and looking at Forza 4 / GT6 forums, there are still significant racing communities on the PS3/360 platforms.

Anyway I am interested to see this "Project Cars U" even if I will certainly never play it.

... But honestly, if one has both PS4 and Wii U, I do not see any good reason to go for the U version.

We won't know how it turned out until SMS shares some screenshots/video and information, but I find it a bit doubtful that the PS3/360 could pull off the same graphics fidelity and the same features -- 24-hour cycle, dynamic weather, physics, 45-car grid (?), etc.

Gran Turismo 6 has the dynamic lighting and weather, but not the same level of physics calculations (I'm pretty confident on that). Forza Motorsport 4 might have a comparable amount of physics calcuations, but it lacks dynamic lighting and weather. Neither game has so many cars on track (not that we know how many the Wii U will have). The Wii U's power advantage might contribute to those elements more than extra polygons and higher-res textures, which is just fine.

As far as I'm concerned, Project CARS U is guaranteed to be an attractive game thanks to the variety of color palettes and lighting. Forza Motorsport is drab and monotonous compared to something like this:

pCARS_E92.jpg

Off-TV play, free multiplayer, pit commands and extra toggles on the touchscreen, Motec-style display without an external app or device...

If they had time for a livery editor, it could have been the definitive version for that, too.

@Wolfe @Classic
Very nice to see some people actually supporting the Wii U. If you even mention Wii U to some so called "hardcore gamers", you get mocked and treated like you are a child who said something foolish. I love my sports games, and I actually like EA sports but the fact that they are not going to play nice just makes me more more loyal to Nintendo. (I know it is not all EA's fault, but I think most of the blame is on them) There are so many capabilities for that gamepad, but nobody seems to want to be creative with it. Big 3rd party devs making games for the Wii U is rare, and a racing sim is even more rare. If it is good, it just might make other devs think twice.
Again I'm just saying things you guys already basically said...make the physics good and the options plentiful. The rest is just icing on the cake.

@Wolfe @Classic
Very nice to see some people actually supporting the Wii U. If you even mention Wii U to some so called "hardcore gamers", you get mocked and treated like you are a child who said something foolish. I love my sports games, and I actually like EA sports but the fact that they are not going to play nice just makes me more more loyal to Nintendo. (I know it is not all EA's fault, but I think most of the blame is on them) There are so many capabilities for that gamepad, but nobody seems to want to be creative with it. Big 3rd party devs making games for the Wii U is rare, and a racing sim is even more rare. If it is good, it just might make other devs think twice.
Again I'm just saying things you guys already basically said...make the physics good and the options plentiful. The rest is just icing on the cake.
Its just a shame we live in a gaming generation where people care more about sales than fun. 'The console in crisis' has been amazing to me, so many good exclusives I've played on it and there's a good few to come too!

Nintendo are just this generation's 'bogey' that can be made fun of for being a bit different. 'Hardcore gamers' just don't understand that there's nothing wrong with a bit of harmless fun.

It's simply adolescent-minded nonsense:

1241900958186.JPG

By the end of the year, the Wii U stands to become the best console I've ever had. The latest iterations of Nintendo's franchises are among the best titles the company has ever made, the monotonous and "cinematic" AAA third-party titles that dominate other platforms have been replaced by innovative indie games on the eShop, Xenoblade Chronicles X promises to be the most amazing RPG in decades, and then there's Project CARS, the most daring racing/driving simulator around today.

If Project CARS U delivers, then I couldn't be happier with the Wii U.

Back