Wii U Project Cars Discussion

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 239 comments
Although the Wii U Gamepad struggles to connect with people and I can see why, I found it justified itself pretty much out of the box once I tried it. Even incidental implementations of the touchscreen (map, inventory) are handy and reduce screen clutter while delivering more information quickly, and games like Affordable Space Adventures show off what made the DS/3DS work in the first place, only on a larger screen and with controls that are more comfortable for my relatively large-ish hands. I was looking forward to the possibilities with PCARS.

There are also some clever uses of Miiverse posts that are only possible with the touchscreen (eg. Splatoon's graffiti), and other things Super Mario Maker or the Art Academy app, which I can't imagine would work very well on the fudgy capacitive touchscreen of a normal tablet. And the core features like off-TV play and dual-screen web video browsing are luxuries you'd never guess would be as convenient as they are.

The Wii was a smashing success that led me to question the direction Nintendo had taken and I almost skipped the Wii U because of it. The Wii U is a "failure" and the best system I've had since the SNES. Go figure.
To say one Nintendo didn't make the Wii U for fools that think graphics are the most important part of a game is to imply that people who buy the other systems are indeed fools who think graphics are the most important part of a game.
What I actually said, with emphasis, was "the fools who believe games are measured solely by polygon counts, shaders, and texture resolutions". It was a deliberately specific lampoon of the sort of forum warriors who hunt for jaggies or count pixels to expose an upscaled game, debate texture clarity on rusted steel doors or unseen corners of a car's interior in photomode in GT/Forza, or unironically believe the "master race" meme.

They don't represent anyone beyond the literal meaning of what I said.

Although the Wii U Gamepad struggles to connect with people and I can see why, I found it justified itself pretty much out of the box once I tried it. Even incidental implementations of the touchscreen (map, inventory) are handy and reduce screen clutter while delivering more information quickly, and games like Affordable Space Adventures show off what made the DS/3DS work in the first place, only on a larger screen and with controls that are more comfortable for my relatively large-ish hands. I was looking forward to the possibilities with PCARS.

There are also some clever uses of Miiverse posts that are only possible with the touchscreen (eg. Splatoon's graffiti), and other things Super Mario Maker or the Art Academy app, which I can't imagine would work very well on the fudgy capacitive touchscreen of a normal tablet. And the core features like off-TV play and dual-screen web video browsing are luxuries you'd never guess would be as convenient as they are.

The Wii was a smashing success that led me to question the direction Nintendo had taken and I almost skipped the Wii U because of it. The Wii U is a "failure" and the best system I've had since the SNES. Go figure.

What I actually said, with emphasis, was "the fools who believe games are measured solely by polygon counts, shaders, and texture resolutions". It was a deliberately specific lampoon of the sort of forum warriors who hunt for jaggies or count pixels to expose an upscaled game, debate texture clarity on rusted steel doors or unseen corners of a car's interior in photomode in GT/Forza, or unironically believe the "master race" meme.

They don't represent anyone beyond the literal meaning of what I said.

I'm glad you like the system, as it sucks to waste money on stuff. I learned that lesson with the PSP, which only served to teach me that the only time I have to play videogames I'll already be sitting on the couch in front of a TV.

I understand that there are ways a second screen can come in handy, but I found the controller far too awkward and bulky because of it. Maybe it would have been better to have separate to the controller, but then devs would probably take even less advantage of it. X1 and PS4 have second screen ability, but it's just ignored mostly, as it's not forced on devs.

As far as off screen play goes, that doesn't interest me, as I have a massive tv with pip functionality, so I can play in a little box (well I can vary the size of the screens with my tv, but if my boy is watching cartoons or something he'd be pissed if I took up too much screen space with a game lol), but I don't even use that. I like my games on a big screen, but that's just a personal preference. I also find consoles terrible for web browsing, and I have a laptop that is great for web browsing, so I don't need anything else for that.

I found the Wii U as average as the Wii for gaming, so for me it's tied with the Wii as the worst systems Nintendo has ever made, despite the Wii selling like crazy. Go figure.

The fact that you said that at all still implies that these supposed fools are who the other consoles are made for, which, once again, is ignorant. There are fools that buy all things, and none of the systems are made for people who measure games solely on graphics. Pcars graphics aren't even very good. It's slightly above GT6 graphics at best. The physics are what makes it amazing, and it's exactly those physics that require so much horsepower from the systems.

I'm glad you like the system, as it sucks to waste money on stuff. I learned that lesson with the PSP, which only served to teach me that the only time I have to play videogames I'll already be sitting on the couch in front of a TV.
Thanks for the backhanded felicitation. :lol:

The fact that you said that at all still implies that these supposed fools are who the other consoles are made for, which, once again, is ignorant.
I'm not responsible for your imagination.

Again, they NEVER said the game was coming out on Wii U, they said it was in development for the Wii U. Too many times have people claimed it was promised or guaranteed or that it was funded as a Wii U game. This is all BS spread by Nintendo fanboy websites.

When does a game change from 'in development' to 'coming out for X console'? I think that is really splitting hairs. While I admit I was wrong on a few of my earlier posts (several weeks ago), this one I am not wrong on. SMS is solely at fault for a game not being released on a console they clearly identified as coming out on. As I've also said, I understand things can happen, but you certainly can't blame the WiiU, the WiiU didn't change. It's a shame really, I was looking forward to this game, and WiiU fans have every right to be upset. That doesn't mean SMS is evil or involved in a conspiracy, it just means they couldn't do what they set out to do.

I'm not responsible for your imagination.
Nothing to do with imagination, the statement would be pointless unless it was to imply that.
When does a game change from 'in development' to 'coming out for X console'? I think that is really splitting hairs. While I admit I was wrong on a few of my earlier posts (several weeks ago), this one I am not wrong on. SMS is solely at fault for a game not being released on a console they clearly identified as coming out on. As I've also said, I understand things can happen, but you certainly can't blame the WiiU, the WiiU didn't change. It's a shame really, I was looking forward to this game, and WiiU fans have every right to be upset. That doesn't mean SMS is evil or involved in a conspiracy, it just means they couldn't do what they set out to do.

There have been countless games that have been cancelled. Those games were in development, until circumstances forced their cancellation. There is a big difference between "I'm going to make a game" and "my game is definitely coming out".

The ps3 and x360 versions were also cancelled, because the game was evolving beyond what they were capable of. The only thing SMS did wrong was not dropping the Wii U at the same time, because it clearly isn't capable of much more than the old systems.

Nothing to do with imagination, the statement would be pointless unless it was to imply that.

There have been countless games that have been cancelled. Those games were in development, until circumstances forced their cancellation. There is a big difference between "I'm going to make a game" and "my game is definitely coming out".

The ps3 and x360 versions were also cancelled, because the game was evolving beyond what they were capable of. The only thing SMS did wrong was not dropping the Wii U at the same time, because it clearly isn't capable of much more than the old systems.
I really don't see any way we are going to agree, especially if you insist that sms is not at fault. We are saying the same arguments over and over. When I made this thread, I intended it for WiiU fans. You see no value in the system, didn't care if the game came out for it or not, mock it calling it archaic and outdated, and speak very condescending to fans of the console. You are entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. It does, however, make me wonder why you are on a thread clearly marked WiiU when you don't like the console.

Mate I'm sick of saying that I do put the blame on SMS for not dropping the system when they should have realised it wasn't possible to make the game work, but you're obviously not a great reader so I'll say it one more time. SMS should have dropped it when they dropped the other two systems. They were too stubborn, and too ambitious, to see it wasn't going to be possible with the advances being made to the game. Obviously if they could have done it, they would have, as I'd be willing to bet they wasted a lot of money on Wii U development.

I was interested to see how the game progressed to begin with, and after trying to correct some false statements, and general hate ranting going on by people here, the thread turned into why Wii U can't have complex games. I honestly couldn't care less if you think I'm being condescending, because it doesn't matter what I say, if I don't agree with you that Nintendo are great and the Wii U is amazing, you'll act like a typical Nintendo fanatic and just carry on about it.

I am a big fan of the game, and it annoys me that people are still carrying on about SMS being all evil just because they couldn't make the game work on Wii U. Maybe if you bought a better system, you wouldn't be so butthurt. I'm done going over this with you, this thread should have been locked ages ago.

If you can't handle someone not liking the system you own, maybe you should be in a Nintendo only forum, and not one in which people play multiple platforms.

I already explained myself more than once, while you continued to ascribe some other meaning to a fast and loose interpretation of what I said.

The reason it seems pointless is because you've nagged me to spell out a singular point -- the Wii U was literally and explicitly never intended for people who expect more power from an eighth gen console than what the Wii U has.
...it doesn't matter what I say, if I don't agree with you that Nintendo are great and the Wii U is amazing, you'll act like a typical Nintendo fanatic and just carry on about it.

...Maybe if you bought a better system, you wouldn't be so butthurt.
God forbid we have differing opinions and preferences. :eek:

I already explained myself more than once, while you continued to ascribe some other meaning to a fast and loose interpretation of what I said.

The reason it seems pointless is because you've nagged me to spell out a singular point -- the Wii U was literally and explicitly never intended for people who expect more power from an eighth gen console than what the Wii U has.

God forbid we have differing opinions and preferences. :eek:
I finally just clicked the ignore button. Probably should have done it a while ago then I wouldn't have gotten so irritated. We all have different opinions on our likes and dislikes. I have no idea how to lock a thread, maybe the mods have to do it? I think this thread should be locked though, as nothing good seems to be coming out of the conversation. I'm doubting any sort of a racing sim will ever come out on Wii U now. I wish SMS stuck to their original tire model, or whatever it was that pushed it too far for Wii U. In any case, it's over and done with, the game is cancelled. And that is quite sad.

Were the wii u game pad's 'unique' functions ever mentioned in relation to pCars development? Just curious because I haven't seen/heard of any PSVita functionality on the PS4 version (besides remote play).

Well it's not being made for the Wii.U.
Sorry,but there is no point in complaining. It sucks, buy a PS4,Xbone,or PC.

Were the wii u game pad's 'unique' functions ever mentioned in relation to pCars development? Just curious because I haven't seen/heard of any PSVita functionality on the PS4 version (besides remote play).
I don't think so, not specifically. There was an interview I saw on youtube a few months back where one of the developers(possibly Andy Tudor) said something to the effect of looking forward to implementing the gamepad and it being a good assett for simulations. And I think he said they already had some good uses for it

This is from June 2013 Design Overview released by SMS, there are a lot of things that got dropped in the end which I'm sure WMD members had a part in.

WiiUPcarsDesignOverview.JPG

They even planned this, not sure if this will still be done in Pcars or Pcars 2 ...

MonetizationPcarsDesignOverview.JPG

This is from June 2013 Design Overview released by SMS, there are a lot of things that got dropped in the end which I'm sure WMD members had a part in.

Seems strange that they didn't develop these features with Vita/Android for all platforms at the same time.
That said, there's enough bugs already, with a second device they would have started breeding.

The only things that the members changed were the switch from free to play to full boxed game with no mircotransactions and the switch from old gen to current gen (back then: next gen) consoles. We had no part in the decision to make or cancel the WiiU version.

Well it's not being made for the Wii.U.
Sorry,but there is no point in complaining. It sucks, buy a PS4,Xbone,or PC.
Are you even following this thread? The answer to the question is not 'buy another console', which I do have by-the-way. A PS4 which is bang-average and struggles to keep me busy with even one worthwhile title so far into its life-cycle. People are discussing the viability of SMS multiple claims and the little details they gave us about the Wii U version and whether they were misleading or not. Please though, continue to act like a fool and come in with statements of opinion that offer literally nothing to discussion.

Are you even following this thread? The answer to the question is not 'buy another console', which I do have by-the-way. A PS4 which is bang-average and struggles to keep me busy with even one worthwhile title so far into its life-cycle. People are discussing the viability of SMS multiple claims and the little details they gave us about the Wii U version and whether they were misleading or not. Please though, continue to act like a fool and come in with statements of opinion that offer literally nothing to discussion.
...like a fool? He said it "sucks.", which it does for WiiU only owners. But, there's nothing more to to add really. The game isn't coming to the WiiU. Time to move on.

...like a fool? He said it "sucks.", which it does for WiiU only owners. But, there's nothing more to to add really. The game isn't coming to the WiiU. Time to move on.
I'm pretty sure he's alluding to the idea that the Wii U 'sucks'. If I'm wrong I will happily apologize. 👍

The game is not being made for the Wii U. Get over it already. It's not like SMS is the only studio to promise something and not deliver it. Discuss what? Here I'll explain it, Project Cars is not available on Wii U. Sorry SMS cancelled it. Yeah I'm a fool, did I say something about the Wii U that was derogatory?

The game is not being made for the Wii U. Get over it already. It's not like SMS is the only studio to promise something and not deliver it. Discuss what? Here I'll explain it, Project Cars is not available on Wii U. Sorry SMS cancelled it. Yeah I'm a fool, did I say something about the Wii U that was derogatory?
Like I said above it sounded like you were calling the Wii U 'crap' for seemingly no reason so that's why I was a bit confused. Apologies. 👍

I got over it a long time ago, when I played the PS4 version of the game I realized it wasn't too much to miss out on. Especially if the wii u version was going to be further gimped.

As I think was alluded to earlier in this post, it's too bad they didn't use what they had already developed for Wii U and made some sort of racing sim, even if it wasn't as full featured as the other two consoles.

Ah, my favorite argument. My toy is for manly men who shoot guns and ride monster trucks, your toy is for babies because I don't like it.

Its also hard to take your comment seriously considering you have an avatar from an Adam Sandler movie. Yet, you preach maturity. Madness. :lol:

Latest Posts

Back