Wii U Project Cars Discussion

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 239 comments
At this point there's probably no way the Wii U version would be well received, least of all considering it will be months late and (presumably) full price. There's also the bugs and glitches (which have already turned people off even if SMS resolves almost all of them), the way SMS has communicated with fans about it (not just the sarcasm but the cold shoulder treatment after the delay), and the misinformation of it being "Kickstarted by Nintendo fans" but arriving on the Wii U last of all.

That's all before getting into the game's rough edges and somewhat sloppy execution (based on impressions), or subjectively limited selection of cars, and other complaints the game faced on PC/PS4/XBone. And then there's the possibility of downgraded features like fewer cars on track or simplified weather -- however, I don't think reviewers or most people would notice the Brush Tire Model unless SMS explicitly admitted it had to be done.

It would be great to have the game on Wii U, but I think it's already screwed and could have done much better if things had gone as SMS originally planned, with a polished and well-functioning game launching simultaneously on all platforms last November. I would kinda rather wait for the NX if it meant SMS could make a better first impression with the game and be willing to continue supporting Nintendo in the future.

I think the people complaining about the game's execution are exaggerating it somewhat. It does have a few bugs, for sure, but most of them are just little things that don't affect your race. Their patch notes also suggest they have worked their asses off on bug fixes.

Personally, I think the game is brilliant. By far the most realistic racing game I've ever played, and though the AI has a few rough edges, it's also way better than AI in any other racing game I've played. It's very intelligent and doesn't act like a pre scripted robot like every other game.

The only real complaint I've had is the apparent lack of DLC integration into the career, but I haven't bought any DLC yet so it's not like it's a deal breaker or anything. The complainers are always the loudest, as everyone else is just enjoying the game.

If I owned a Wii U (I know a couple of people who do, which is why I didn't get one) then I would be pissed at Nintendo, because it's their stupid choices in designing the machine that have led to the lack of third party support. SMS being one of the rare few that actually gave Wii U development a go. But as a Nintendo fan back in the day, I was pretty pissed at them with the first Wii, for trying to cash in on gimmicks instead of bringing another powerful machine that could go punch for punch with the competition. I loved the SNES, N64 and GCN, because they were just great machines in their day. Wii and Wii U were both weak offerings, and I hope Nintendo change their ways for the next machine. The whole casual market thing worked for Wii, but it's not going to work long term, as Wii U proved.

The only real complaint I've had is the apparent lack of DLC integration into the career, but I haven't bought any DLC yet so it's not like it's a deal breaker or anything.
They're apparently trying to integrate it, but the apparent problem is that non-DLC owners would be able to access the contracts the way they are now.

They're apparently trying to integrate it, but the apparent problem is that non-DLC owners would be able to access the contracts the way they are now.

Ah ok, well that's good that they're trying to sort it out. I'll have no complaints if the DLC is integrated into the career. I'll still buy all the DLC no matter what, because the stuff they're offering is very good, and I want to support the company because of how much I like the game.

Ah well, If I hadn't already been able to experience the PS4 version I would be more disappointed. Wouldn't say Wii U solo owners are missing out on too much to be annoyed by, would have been interesting to see how the project pans out.

:lol:

The Wii U the worst Nintendo console of all time. I sure hope the NX puts Nintendo back in the game.

Jerome

Oh well. That's enough closure for me to shift my full attention to the possibility of PCARS2 on the NX.

This is very likely the better outcome for Nintendo gamers who like racing sims, because PCARS missed its opportunity to make a favorable first impression among Nintendo fans a long time ago. For the sake of a future for racing sims on Nintendo hardware, PCARS on Wii U would have done more harm than good. A clean start with a new game on Nintendo's next platform could stand a much better chance of establishing a foothold.

As for "the worst Nintendo console of all time," Ian himself has a different outlook on it:
Ian Bell
...It's our fault, no one elses. Nintendo's CPU is actually very good. We just went nuts with the detail in the tyre model when we switched to next gen systems.

The virtual boy will disagree. ;)

I thought that was just an addon to another console???

Baseless claims ftw!

Nope, based on the fact that only a few AAA games have come out; Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Super Mario 3D world. No Metroid, no Zelda, no PCars...no 3rd party support. If we are lucky we'll get Starfox.

jerome

@Jump_Ace
I assume you own a Wii U? I know it hasn't been recieved well critically, but I can tell you from my own personal experience I love it, and I especially love that many of the AAA games are local multiplayer, something missing from most big titles

What about Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Yoshi Wooly World, The Wonderful 101. Still to come there is Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario Maker, Mario Ultra Smash Tennis and yup no 'being lucky' there IS going to be a Starfox and a Zelda. Both are confirmed and Starfox is even out by the end of this year. That's only big 'AAA' as you say, titles too. There's a good few other games that are incredible fun like Kirby: Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Sonic: Lost World. If you love Nintendo games, the Wii U has more than met its quote for great games in its lifetime.
I thought that was just an addon to another console???

Nope, based on the fact that only a few AAA games have come out; Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Super Mario 3D world. No Metroid, no Zelda, no PCars...no 3rd party support. If we are lucky we'll get Starfox.

jerome

What about Splatoon, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Yoshi Wooly World, The Wonderful 101. Still to come there is Xenoblade Chronicles X, Super Mario Maker, Mario Ultra Smash Tennis and yup no 'being lucky' there IS going to be a Starfox and a Zelda. Both are confirmed and Starfox is even out by the end of this year. That's only big 'AAA' as you say, titles too. There's a good few other games that are incredible fun like Kirby: Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Sonic: Lost World. If you love Nintendo games, the Wii U has more than met its quote for great games in its lifetime.

So MK8 + a bunch of overrated (Splatoon...*yuck*) "ok" stuff is going to make me spend 250-300€ after how many years it's been out on that exact price range ? Nope.

@Jump_Ace
I assume you own a Wii U? I know it hasn't been recieved well critically, but I can tell you from my own personal experience I love it, and I especially love that many of the AAA games are local multiplayer, something missing from most big titles

Yea I have a Wii U, its just a Wii with a, not-a-handheld-gaming-device controller.

Splatoon was fun for about 2 days, then it got repetitive, and fast unfortunately. DK: TP is the other title I want to try, the other games have just fallen flat for me : /

But I will say I hold out more hope for a better Nintendo console, than I do for a good GT7 game :lol:

Jerome

You clearly don't like whats on the wii u so I fail to see what the point in your reply is. Whether you find those things not good (in your opinion, by the way. Don't act like you can pass absolute judgement when I doubt you've played any of them) isn't the point, they are triple A titles that Nintendo have made. You seem like a very judgemental person considering half the games I mentioned aren't even out. :lol:

I was not trying to convince you(or anyone) to buy a wii u, the caliber of games to expect are out there. Buy one if they interest you, otherwise continue to just enjoy the type of games you do on your console of choice. @Jump_Ace felt the other games were flat and I respect that. I don't respect somebody acting like a pseudo-expert on a matter they seem to have no knowledge on.
So MK8 + a bunch of overrated (Splatoon...*yuck*) "ok" stuff is going to make me spend 250-300€ after how many years it's been out on that exact price range ? Nope.

There are a few games I love, and DK may be at the top of that list. If you have a Wii U, then definitely try DK:tropical freeze. My wife and I actually beat that game in co-op mode. If you like a challenge, give it try. It's one of the most difficult side scrollers out there for any system.

Regarding the NX talk...

What if the NX becomes Nintendo's final straw... just like what happened to Sega after Dreamcast? :mischievous:

@Crisis Nine While they never said specifically 'I promise we are bringing our game to the Wii U', they did initially say and imply it would be a great port. They made a mistake, simple as that.

Not really. I imagine SMS did their best to get a sophisticated piece code to run properly on a primitive machine. Kudos to them for trying while many developers seem to have essentially abandoned the WiiU already.

Wow people in this thread still ignoring everything SMS and WMD members have said about Wii U development. They never promised it would come out on Wii U. They were happy with the development before the game became too complex for the system. WMD voted to drop Wii U when they voted to drop PS3 and XB360, but SMS wanted to try to get the game out on Wii U, because Nintendo had no better options available to them.

The choice they would have faced is either create two entirely different games, dumb the PC,PS4, and Xbone versions down (which would not have gone down well with 99.9% of their potential customers), or drop the Wii U version. As a lot of people have said: At least they gave it a go, which is more than can be said of almost every other third party dev. The system just isn't up to the task, it is what it is.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if Nintendo pulled out of the console hardware business. They make a killing off of their handhelds, and have always owned that market, and literally the only reason anyone buys their home consoles is for their own exclusive games. If they just made their marios and zeldas and donkey kongs for PS and XB, I would be willing to bet they'd sell a ton more games, because people wouldn't have to buy a whole console just for their games, and they do make quality games. They could cut out the cost of console development too. I honestly think they'd be better off doing that. They'd certainly do better than Sega have since they left the hardware business.

Wow people in this thread still ignoring everything SMS and WMD members have said about Wii U development. They never promised it would come out on Wii U. They were happy with the development before the game became too complex for the system. WMD voted to drop Wii U when they voted to drop PS3 and XB360, but SMS wanted to try to get the game out on Wii U, because Nintendo had no better options available to them.

The choice they would have faced is either create two entirely different games, dumb the PC,PS4, and Xbone versions down (which would not have gone down well with 99.9% of their potential customers), or drop the Wii U version. As a lot of people have said: At least they gave it a go, which is more than can be said of almost every other third party dev. The system just isn't up to the task, it is what it is.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if Nintendo pulled out of the console hardware business. They make a killing off of their handhelds, and have always owned that market, and literally the only reason anyone buys their home consoles is for their own exclusive games. If they just made their marios and zeldas and donkey kongs for PS and XB, I would be willing to bet they'd sell a ton more games, because people wouldn't have to buy a whole console just for their games, and they do make quality games. They could cut out the cost of console development too. I honestly think they'd be better off doing that. They'd certainly do better than Sega have since they left the hardware business.
That's all well and good and hooray for SMS for trying. Nobody is saying they shouldn't of tried, but they new long before release that it had issues that couldn't be overcome. SMS should of been honest and said so then instead of letting the community continue to believe there would be a Wii U version when SMS new it wasn't coming. While that might not be a lie in some peoples book, it sure was misleading.

Back