Will a car being "premium" or not have an effect on your car choice for races?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Coxis
  • 113 comments
  • 8,774 views
I hope i am wrong. Because I would love all cars to have detail of Prologue at least! But I do fallow a lot of news about GT5 and interviews, and what Kaz mentioned disappointed me and others! :(
 
There were something like 25-30 race cars in GT4. I have a hard time believing that another 140+ were put into gt5. That would mean that out of the 250 new GT5 car, new since gt4, 140 are just race cars.



That surely is what it sounds like to me as well. It only makes sense that race cars would fall under that category.
There was a lot more than 30 race cars in GT4. A lot more.
The PAL version had over 120 race cars and that's not counting the special "black" versions of the GT cars you could buy in the used car shop.
 
this recent news really worried me..standard-premium. damn! If not all cars will have cockpit view i will be veru disappointed.
 
It's no coincidence that GT PSP has 830 cars and that GT5 will have 170 premium cars. (830 +170=1,000)

Perhaps the 830 standard models will be just like the PSP version. A cockpit, yes, but not very detailed. Or, a cockpit like Prologue (detailed), but no corresponding interior damage or any exterior damage visible from inside the car.
 
As long there is good hood view, right behind teh front windshield. I will be happy.
 
I don't know why I'm that bothered about the whole cockpit view for only 170 cars to be honest, because I race from outside of the car. Yet if this is true and the other 830 cars don't have a cockpit view then it's a bit of a let down.
 
just a question Forza how many cars have and how many of them have cockpitview? If they made 400 cars with cockpit view i don't think that pd could release a game with a 5 years development and only 170 cars with cockpit view.
 
What is "Premium Car" exactly?

Oh, nobody knows exactly?

Good, it's all just a speculation then.
 
There were something like 25-30 race cars in GT4. I have a hard time believing that another 140+ were put into gt5. That would mean that out of the 250 new GT5 car, new since gt4, 140 are just race cars.

In GT4 we have a lot more race car than 30 as you say... GT4 have LM prototypes, turing car, GT race car, rally car... that is around 150 race car's:sly:
 
And yes Forza 3 had over 400 cars which all had cockpit view, they weren't great cockpits though. GT5:P's cockpits looked far superior.
 
Every car in Forza 3 has a copckpit view though the standard of detail in the interior views can be quite different from one car to the next. Some look great, some look bad. That said, I will be very dissapointed if only 170 cars in Gt5 have cockpit views, though it doesn't add up. I think that there's a problem in translation here, Kaz has regualrly described damage as interior and exterior damage and interior damage most probably means mechanical damage so he could well be talking about the cars mechanical features being modelled in this case as well.
 
It's no coincidence that GT PSP has 830 cars and that GT5 will have 170 premium cars. (830 +170=1,000)

Perhaps the 830 standard models will be just like the PSP version. A cockpit, yes, but not very detailed. Or, a cockpit like Prologue (detailed), but no corresponding interior damage or any exterior damage visible from inside the car.

Makes sense since all of GTPSP cars are based off GT5 not gt4.
 
Every car in Forza 3 has a copckpit view though the standard of detail in the interior views can be quite different from one car to the next. Some look great, some look bad. That said, I will be very dissapointed if only 170 cars in Gt5 have cockpit views, though it doesn't add up. I think that there's a problem in translation here, Kaz has regualrly described damage as interior and exterior damage and interior damage most probably means mechanical damage so he could well be talking about the cars mechanical features being modelled in this case as well.

I can probably rid you of those doubts by nitpicking KY's recent quote:

Standard models won’t have an interior view, less detailing and no crash model.

1. No interior view can refer to the innards of a car. The engine, exposed trunk, etc. That's reserved for the racing cars. That's understandable.

2. Less details again likely refers to details such as seeing exposed internal parts of a car. When a hood is lifted up, you're seeing more detail, and as said before, an interior view or internal parts.

4. No crash model makes sense too: It doesn't mean no damage, it means no physical dents, loose parts, parts dislodging (on standard cars, which has been understood, though). This means that standard cars will likely suffer little to no damage; only scratches and scuffs as there is no "crash model". But there will be a "scuff/scratch" model.
 
What is "Premium Car" exactly?

Oh, nobody knows exactly?

Good, it's all just a speculation then.

Amar,do you know,or could you find out how many are actually in the car modeling team? GT5p had 29 in the credits.
The number would help us work this out because of the 6 months per car claim.
 
Last edited:
In GT4 we have a lot more race car than 30 as you say... GT4 have LM prototypes, turing car, GT race car, rally car... that is around 150 race car's:sly:

There are only 30 race cars.
I'm assuming this is correct:
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/599/599814p1.html
I see that rally cars aren't included. I can fire up gt4 when I get home and get the real number if you want.

edit
29 rally cars
16 touring cars
44 race cars
That is going by the car having RACE, RALLY, or TOURING in the name. That's ~80?
 
Last edited:
Do you realize that the cockpit view is a new feature in the GT franchise?

Would it make sense to model the cockpit of all the cars in GT5 Prologue (except the GT-R concept) and have it only for less than 20% of the cars in the final game? Would it make sense to fail? We saw even the cockpit of this little car.
Are we talking about the same game? The Sony Playstation 3 Killer Application, Gran Turismo 5.
Five years that we are waiting, five years that more than a hundred people are developing it in an old but modernized factory with one of the biggest servers in Tokyo. A crew with real passion for cars, working hard. They made of Polyphony Digital Studios their home in every way. I don't think I have to remind you that they have rooms and camp beds.
There's a reason if OPM, even after 3 months, made no correction about the "all cars with cockpit view" statement (unlike the IRL license) and Autoblog erased a little paragraph of an article a day after they published it.

I'm not asking you to be optimistic, I'm telling you to be realistic.

What is "Premium Car" exactly?

Oh, nobody knows exactly?

Good, it's all just a speculation then.
👍
 
What is "Premium Car" exactly?

Oh, nobody knows exactly?

Good, it's all just a speculation then.

Yup. Useless head banging, if you ask me.
 
gt5p car modeling crew was 34 maybe Gt5 crew appx 40
 
There are only 30 race cars.
I'm assuming this is correct:
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/599/599814p1.html
I see that rally cars aren't included. I can fire up gt4 when I get home and get the real number if you want.

edit
29 rally cars
16 touring cars
44 race cars
That is going by the car having RACE, RALLY, or TOURING in the name. That's ~80?

There's 119 cars classed as race cars in GT4 - 121 if you want to include both the Atenza/MPS6 clones and both the Clio V6/Lutecia V6 clones.
 
There are only 30 race cars.
I'm assuming this is correct:
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/599/599814p1.html
I see that rally cars aren't included. I can fire up gt4 when I get home and get the real number if you want.

edit
29 rally cars
16 touring cars
44 race cars
That is going by the car having RACE, RALLY, or TOURING in the name. That's ~80?

Rally, touring etc, they are all RACE CARS.
Race car means.
An automobile used for racing.
In the end, any tuned car can be a race car.
 
While that is true, you call a rally car, a rally car not a racing car. You cal a supergt car, a supergt car. You call them by what class they are in.
Any car can be a race car if we go by your thinking. So there will be 1000 potential race cars in GT5 therefore all will have every type of damage imaginable on every car. Case closed. /s

add 26 JGTC cars to my previous post and we're at ~106. Still 13 short of famine's number.
 
In reality, yes, all cars can be race cars, you just need specific rules to what kind of race you will do, some cars call for Rollcages, slick tires, dirt tires, and what not, Toyota Yaris can be turn out to a race car.. Top Gear took normal BMW Diesel and turn it out into a race car, and raced on 24hour race. You just have to fallow the particular rules.

So if you say Rally Cars are not Race cars, so why Kaz included DAMAGE for that one? Case Closed.
 
In reality, yes, all cars can be race cars, you just need specific rules to what kind of race you will do, some cars call for Rollcages, slick tires, dirt tires, and what not, Toyota Yaris can be turn out to a race car.. Top Gear took normal BMW Diesel and turn it out into a race car, and raced on 24hour race. You just have to fallow the particular rules.

So if you say Rally Cars are not Race cars, so why Kaz included DAMAGE for that one? Case Closed.
I said you don't call a rally car a racing car, you call it a rally car. Didn't say it isn't a racing car. I showed the link with 30 racing cars and said rally, touring and others weren't included. That's when I started adding to the list.
Show me where Kaz says only race cars are considered PREMIUM CARS.
I doubt there is a case in the world you could ever close.
 
Last edited:
You're so dim.
Show me where Kaz says only care cars are considered PREMIUM CARS.
I doubt there is a case in the world you could ever close.

Where does he say they aren't?

Exactly, we don't know. Everything right now is based off speculation, which is a bad thing because some people will take it as fact than when it get's cleared up people will hold it against PD.
 
dave_sz you are such an negative guy for every comment all people make. You yourself pull info out of anything claiming there are only 39/40 race cars.. and now you change your mind that you meant to say something else. Don't be so negative!
 
In reality, yes, all cars can be race cars, you just need specific rules to what kind of race you will do, some cars call for Rollcages, slick tires, dirt tires, and what not, Toyota Yaris can be turn out to a race car.. Top Gear took normal BMW Diesel and turn it out into a race car, and raced on 24hour race. You just have to fallow the particular rules.

Thats why I wrote this

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3834787&postcount=16






gt5p car modeling crew was 34 maybe Gt5 crew appx 40

Got the GT5p list from here,didn't count from the actual credit screen.

http://www.answers.com/topic/gran-turismo-5-prologue

Car Modeling: Tadashi Watanabe, Yuichiro Kohno, Kento Minemura, Satoru Miyamoto, Yuji Kawamura, Emi Imazeki, Tsutomu Sonehara, Mihoko Suzuki, Yoko Onagi, Toshiyuki Maenou, Takashi Watanabe, Masao Kikuichi, Kohei Kasai, Yuko Ikeda, Youjirou Ishihara, Akira Nogami, Masayoshi Kawashima, Miharu Imazeki, Kensei Kitai, Junya Tsubaki, Yuki Mineo, Mariko Yogo, Mariko Tsutumi, Eriko Takura, Satoshi Kawamata, Hiroshi Ichimura, Minori Miura, Michihiro Suekichi, Yasuya Hagiwara;

29

With
Car Modeling Director: Tadashi Terashima, Keiichi Ashizawa, Mutsumi Sakakibara, Takayoshi Kawakami;

The directors probably model,so 33 all in from GT5p

Kaz said 6 months a car,so that's x10 for 5 years.Thats 330 from GT5p staff.
40 would give 400 at 6 months a car,obviously some could take less time.
They need a 100 artists doing a car every 6 months for 5 years,so they can hit a 1000.

I've said here a long time ago that i'd be surprised if other Sony teams weren't chipping in with modelling,I had studio Liverpool,possibly Cambridgedown,and some extra from SCEJ who have been quiet on the PS3 working on modelling cars.GT5p staff isnt enough.
 
Kaz said 6 months a car,so that's x10 for 5 years.Thats 330 from GT5p staff.
40 would give 400 at 6 months a car,obviously some could take less time.
They need a 100 artists doing a car every 6 months for 5 years,so they can hit a 1000.

I've said here a long time ago that i'd be surprised if other Sony teams weren't chipping in with modelling,I had studio Liverpool,possibly Cambridgedown,and some extra from SCEJ who have been quiet on the PS3 working on modelling cars.GT5p staff isnt enough.
Peopple talk about this "6 months to make a car" business as though it really is just one artist per car taking 1000 "hands on" man hours to complete each one (6 months @ normal working hours per week). That's clearly not the case.

They have teams of people working on all different aspects of the car in parallel, and not all 1000 hours will be taken up by people getting their hands dirty - a lot of it will be processing time on the computers. So, while the figure of 6 months "total effort" per car may well be correct, the reality is that it will take far less actual time.

Don't get me wrong, we are still talking about a lot of effort and resource to create 1000 cars though.
 
While that is true, you call a rally car, a rally car not a racing car. You cal a supergt car, a supergt car. You call them by what class they are in.
Any car can be a race car if we go by your thinking. So there will be 1000 potential race cars in GT5 therefore all will have every type of damage imaginable on every car. Case closed. /s

add 26 JGTC cars to my previous post and we're at ~106. Still 13 short of famine's number.

If you go into Arcade Mode, cars are classed as one of four things. Road, Race, Concept and Tuner. 119 of them are Race.
 
Would you alter your car choice just because you want to feel more immersed in the game/enjoy the extra, better damage model on this premium model?
I'll see your 'no', and raise you a 'not a chance' ;)
 
It's no coincidence that GT PSP has 830 cars and that GT5 will have 170 premium cars. (830 +170=1,000)

Perhaps the 830 standard models will be just like the PSP version. A cockpit, yes, but not very detailed. Or, a cockpit like Prologue (detailed), but no corresponding interior damage or any exterior damage visible from inside the car.

I honestly believe you nailed it with this assessment. I don't see Kaz releasing GT5 any other way.

I believe the production version cars will be just like we see in Prologue, and the ones featured in GT5 that are considered "premium" will introduce us to something amazing.
 
Back