Will a car being "premium" or not have an effect on your car choice for races?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Coxis
  • 113 comments
  • 8,775 views
In my idea, it's simple.

Cockpit view = in-car gameplay view
Interior view = car inner workings, engine, etc...

So premium cars would be the one getting interior damaging which make sense...

But it's been said many many times already :o
 
In my idea, it's simple.

Cockpit view = in-car gameplay view
Interior view = car inner workings, engine, etc...

So premium cars would be the one getting interior damaging which make sense...

But it's been said many many times already :o

Think, or at least hope, you're right and it has indeed been suggested many times before.
However, does anyone out here with a comprehensive understanding of the Japanese language know if this translation error ( which perhaps started this whole confusion ) might be somewhat logical?
Meaning is it possible the word interior/interior view, etc. in Japanese has different meanings than the English understanding of this definition?
All the subtleties of language might be literally lost in translation.
 
I dont speak Japanese, but I do speak Polish, It's one of the hardest languages in the world, Japanese does not come close to it, and I can say Translation can be faulty in so many ways.

Also how Kaz on all interviews almost has bit different story, I can agree the interview was faulty
 
Peopple talk about this "6 months to make a car" business as though it really is just one artist per car taking 1000 "hands on" man hours to complete each one (6 months @ normal working hours per week). That's clearly not the case.

They have teams of people working on all different aspects of the car in parallel, and not all 1000 hours will be taken up by people getting their hands dirty - a lot of it will be processing time on the computers. So, while the figure of 6 months "total effort" per car may well be correct, the reality is that it will take far less actual time.

Don't get me wrong, we are still talking about a lot of effort and resource to create 1000 cars though.

I understand that,just going by what Kaz said in 07,it's the only official thing we got.and I was trying to work out if nox's comment could be correct.

Nox quote
"All GT5 Prologe cars are premium. I think once the non premium cars will be something like GT4 in super HD Photo mode quality"

Kaz quote
"For Gran Turismo 1, one car was one day's work for one man," Yamauchi said. "For GT3, one car was one man's work for 30 days. For GT5, one car is one man's work for 180 days.""

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/03/yamauchi-reveals-gt5-details-to-car-and-driver/
 
NoxNoctis Umbra, nice to know you speak Polish, but that isn't exactly helpful in this situation.

Gaz, did he say one man actually works 180 days on one car literally, or that hypothetical one man would be working on his own modelling one car, meaning the total man hours it takes to create it?
Several people work on one car is my guess, all with differently defined tasks perhaps in different teams focussing on their specialism, but that's just me having a wild guess perhaps.
 
Last edited:
To comet above, I certain its the same with ALL languages when translated. We only look for the closest thing.

What if Alba is right that Premium cars will have both cockpit view, and engine view for damae when parts fly off and what not.
Yet Standard cars will still be just like Prologue cars, but no engine parts will be modeled, and cars will only have scratches
 
To me it seems very obvious that Alba's theory is the most likely scenario; PD would fall flat on their faces if only 170 cars had a cockpit view and the other 800 didn't.

I really don't think that is the case; PD knew since the prologue days how difficult the modeling was; they would NEVER have created the copen and cappuchino cockpit view and claimed they were premium models.
 
To comet above, I certain its the same with ALL languages when translated. We only look for the closest thing.

Yes, true perhaps and it wasn't meant mockingly, but some languages have ( as you would now from the Polish/English language ) different/more/less meanings to the same words whether other languages don't or have different meanings.
The most common meaning is often shared or overlapping and this is what is often being translated leaving plenty of room for losing all subtlety and possible different meanings these words have and the intention of the original statement being wrongly depicted.

Or it can also be that the translator-guy employed by Kaz hasn't got a clue what he's on about and just translates directly what Kaz says without a basic understanding of the terms used commonly by those who know GT and its possible implications.............
 
Last edited:
Kaz quote
"For Gran Turismo 1, one car was one day's work for one man," Yamauchi said. "For GT3, one car was one man's work for 30 days. For GT5, one car is one man's work for 180 days.""

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/03/yamauchi-reveals-gt5-details-to-car-and-driver/
So it's 180 days now? Working days, or weekends too? That's more like 8 or 9 months in normal working days! Still, I guess it's irrelevant, because that still amounts to 1440 hours per car at 8 hours per day. Do you seriously think it takes one person 1440 hours to create one single car? I don't, regardless of what any quote says!
 
If you go into Arcade Mode, cars are classed as one of four things. Road, Race, Concept and Tuner. 119 of them are Race.

bugger!

I dont speak Japanese, but I do speak Polish, It's one of the hardest languages in the world, Japanese does not come close to it, and I can say Translation can be faulty in so many ways.

Also how Kaz on all interviews almost has bit different story, I can agree the interview was faulty

Hahaha. I saw your profile picture and automatically knew that you were Polish.
In all seriousness, I wish we had transcripts for all these interviews as they were answered in Japanese.
 
bugger!



Hahaha. I saw your profile picture and automatically knew that you were Polish.
In all seriousness, I wish we had transcripts for all these interviews as they were answered in Japanese.

HAHA I look that Polish? I bet I sounded like one in the other thread calling people NOOBs for saving during 24h race haha

Apologies!
 
In regard to the interior view, as I said before; It likely refers to the innards of a car.

A Corvette ZR1 is most likely a standard model; therefore it will never have its engine shown, its doors will never flap open, and its trunk will never pop open for you to peek inside.

In conclusion: Here's your standard model (using a Corvette ZR1), by SrRd_RacinG.

1. Cock-pit view (view that situates you behind the steering wheel of a Corvette ZR1 like Prologue): Present

2. Interior view (view that enables player to see inside of a Corvette ZR1 from the outside. A view that allows, from the cockpit view, the ability to see the interior effects of damage, opened doors, opened trunks, flapping doors): Absent

3. Crash model (a model of damage more realistic/severe/in-depth and actual to real life crashes): Absent


4. Scuff/scratch/tiny deformations model (a model of damage less dramatic/less in-depth and more reserved): Present

I'm no prophet, but I bet you that's similar to what will happen. And that's all I got. I can explain it no better than that.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to step around the issue of interiors for now, because the Master once again had to muddy the waters. But as to the original post, my interest is in the cars themselves, not whether they can be damaged, and I don't drive from the cockpit view. So premium or not, it doesn't matter to me. I just want to drive all the cars.

Although I would want to race the Silvia first... :sly:
 
Yeah, premium or not, all cars will have same physics engine.
 
If you go into Arcade Mode, cars are classed as one of four things. Road, Race, Concept and Tuner. 119 of them are Race.

Are you talking about GT4 or GTPSP? In arcade cars are sorted by manufacturer, era, and favorites. I don't see the ones you mentioned.
 
As for me i don't care, i will buy what ever car i can afford! Usually its some kind of Honda i start with, i think i may change and buy a Ford!
 
In regard to the interior view, as I said before; It likely refers to the innards of a car.

A Corvette ZR1 is most likely a standard model; therefore it will never have its engine shown, its doors will never flap open, and its trunk will never pop open for you to peek inside.

In conclusion: Here's your standard model (using a Corvette ZR1), by SrRd_RacinG.

1. Cock-pit view (view that situates you behind the steering wheel of a Corvette ZR1 like Prologue): Present

2. Interior view (view that enables player to see inside of a Corvette ZR1 from the outside. A view that allows, from the cockpit view, the ability to see the interior effects of damage, opened doors, opened trunks, flapping doors): Absent

3. Crash model (a model of damage more realistic/severe/in-depth and actual to real life crashes): Absent


4. Scuff/scratch/tiny deformations model (a model of damage less dramatic/less in-depth and more reserved): Present

I'm no prophet, but I bet you that's similar to what will happen. And that's all I got. I can explain it no better than that.

same here and if it will be like this it's perfect for me.
 
jep, chances are pretty high it will end up like that, so everyone please calm down. I'm sure PD won't screw us over....
 
Are you talking about GT4 or GTPSP? In arcade cars are sorted by manufacturer, era, and favorites. I don't see the ones you mentioned.

GT4. Pick a car, look at the top-left of the screen.
 
Hi all, this is my first post and i havent yet played GT5p or experienced the cockpit view. But in all honesty i think the main significance of GT5 will be the impact damage has on the driving and it would be disapointing if only a small proportion (i..e the 170) had the ability to affect that driving ability becuase i do enjoy racing alot of the older/slower cars as well- not just the dedicated race cars. Im happy for visual damage to be a sliding scale, but some kind of mechanical penalty across the board would be close enough to perfection for this iteration of GT. i could just end up sticking with roof cam after all....
 
What is "Premium Car" exactly?

Oh, nobody knows exactly?

Good, it's all just a speculation then.

Fair enough but with GT and PD, what isn't?
 
Ok, let me be clear:

1) We've already saw flying doors and hoods in a Subaru Impreza WRC
2) Assuming that there are no more doors, when you switch to cockpit view there will be just a hole with the same shape as the door that previously was there. ;)
3) Trunk cover is opened too, so PD modelled the trunk of the car.
4) Hood is open after crashing into a Suzuki SX4, so the engine is modelled too.
5)As said by Famine, there are 119 race cars in GT4, so 170 is a reasonable number to be in GT5


In Blue, "premium".

1) Cars have cockpit view, damage is limited by scratches and falling bumpers.
2) Doors doesn't fall. Hoods doesn't open and trunk covers stay closed for the whole race.
3) Prologue's cars have interior view, no falling doors, no opened hoods. All of them, excepting the F1, Ford GTLM, S2000GT1 and BLITZR34 are production, concept or tuner models, so no extensive damage for them.

In Black, "Normal".

Font: Speculation, previous posts and logical assumptions, otherwise the cappucino is a Premium car. Impossible.
 
This isn't bothering me at all, I'm sure as others have said, it'll be groups of cars that you won't necessarily get a chance to race against non-premium cars..

Even so, I wouldn't care about the damage model when choosing a car! :)
 
It would be so much not like Kaz if cockpit views were missing on some cars. I seems so ridicules to spend so much effort on polygons and detailing on interiors and then some cars have none.
 
agreed, the chances of that are pretty slim and going by prologue nigh on impossible.
I strongly believe all cars will have a cockpit view; just you wait and see :)
 
In all honesty I think I'm going to be playing around with damage mode once of twice and then never look at it again... so no I wouldnt let the "premium" thing alter my car choice... I'm just going to drive what I want, when I want.. :lol:
 
In all honesty I think I'm going to be playing around with damage mode once of twice and then never look at it again... so no I wouldnt let the "premium" thing alter my car choice... I'm just going to drive what I want, when I want.. :lol:

Hmm, frankly, I was thinking the same after that crappy damaged Impreza, but getting a car without a scratch after a 4 lap race at the ring will be like a prize.
 
For me ,no
not important if the cars are premium or not
 
Back