Will Cupra be SEAT's New Standalone Sports Brand?

Oh good, hopefully it goes ahead with a different badge so we can all clearly see which ones to avoid when out on the road. ;)

Last edited:
Could use some more SEAT in racing games IMO! Maybe this news will be positive in that aspect.

As it's a forbidden fruit on this side of the pond, I've always had a serious soft spot for the '03-ish Leon Cupra. It was one of my favourites in FM4, which is saying something.

I love the styling of that one... and just realized it'll technically be legal to import starting in January.

If Cupra becomes its own thing, I wonder if some modern interpretation of the Cupra GT could come. I'm not sure what platform it would use, though: the R8/Gallardo is too far removed from the brand IMO, but a front-engined TT-based car wouldn't be different enough from the current offerings.

Yes, SEAT, make it HAPPEN! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
seat_cupra_gt_concept_2.jpg

Hopefully, SEAT may bring the Cupra brand, worldwide. I really want to see Spanish cars come to America, soon.

(Slightly related note): When I first saw the Cupra brand's logo, it looks like it should be in a future installment of Codemasters' GRID franchise.

Please release a car called the Cupra Libre.

... and it should come in black metallic as the main media coverage color. :D

They could also use promo pictures similar to this one, which would then be the Cupra Libre on the rocks. ;)

ford-raptor,-off-road-car,-rocks-185969.jpg

I think you mean German ;)

Sadly the days of Italian bodies with Spanish flair are long gone for SEAT. They're still reet cars though - but they do smell a bit corporate.

Ok, you had me on that...

But, despite the Volkswagen Group-corporate platform similarities, SEAT's design language always looks the most innocent, yet sporty-ish, ever since they've joined VAG in the '90s. (Stylistic Comparison between SEAT Ibiza Mk2 vs. VW Polo Playa, in South Africa: under comment as Attached Files)

(Well, besides their old corporate grill, in 2002 to 2011. At first, I thought SEAT was copying Subaru's "pig-snout" grill, from 2006. But, later I've learned that, SEAT was the first company to have that nasty-looking fascia. But, it's just the eyes of the beholder.)

In my opinion, SEAT's always looked cooler, compared with their Czech cousins, Skoda. Or, even the elders, Audi and Volkswagen.

Attachments

• IMG_2674.JPG
    IMG_2674.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Looks like we've got our first glimpse of the Debut Cupra Model - a hotter Ibiza. It's expected to share the same 200hp 2.0 Turbo from the Polo GTI.

cupra-ibiza-concept-preview.jpg

Hoping this sub-brand works out for SEAT. I'm really digging the badge and copper colour scheme, nice to have a change from the red highlights.

This is the first production model - The Cupra Ateca:
cupra-primeras-imagenes-oficiales.jpg

And this is their first race car - The Cupra Leon TCR

A Cupra Ibiza and Arona will be displayed in Barcelona, but these are only concept cars for now.

Source: Motor1

The Cupra Ateca surprisingly grabs my attention... a shame America doesn't get these types of crossovers.

I had a look at the Ateca when we ordered our Arona, I like the look of the Cupra version!

It's a shame about that badge, though. It looks like something a 6 year old would draw as a superhero logo. :irked:

the rear end features taillights that are connected with an LED strip, or as Cupra calls it the “rear infinite light concept”

Who let the marketing team loose on this one?

Why performance SUV's? I don't get. Hyundai wants a hot N-line SUV, other car manufacturers, such as Alfa Romeo, make performance SUV.

Why performance SUV's? I don't get. Hyundai wants a hot N-line SUV, other car manufacturers, such as Alfa Romeo, make performance SUV.

I guess it is easier for car enthusiasts to convince their significant other/family members with no interest in cars to buy a sporty car that's practical as opposed to a sports car.

As for the "why not get a wagon?" argument, Crossovers and SUVs have a raised seating position, shorter dimensions than wagon equivalents and their taller stance makes them appear safer to be in (at least in everyday driving conditions).

There is a strong hint of Maserati in the design, but even then, I think it looks better than the Levante.
I was thinking less Maserati and more Infiniti. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as styling is one of Infiniti's stronger points (there aren't many...), but it doesn't exactly scream "exciting new brand". The interior certainly doesn't, as that's standard dull VW Group fare.

And it seems weird that they launched the brand with the Ateca rather than a unique model like this.

I was poking around Instagram and saw pictures similar to in Post #22. It would be very interesting to see Cupra be its own brand. They'd surely have a strong presence at least among Spanish makes.

Back