Will GT7 be the last game?

So love it or hate it Gran Turismo seems to be lacking of late, and this newest announcement about the track editor essentially being an hipster phone / tablet app.

I see other games while they are lacking themselves are better setup games etc.

Driveclub, project cars, Forza and games like grid and need for speed.

Will people buy GT7 or wait til it's in the cheap bin at your local gaming retailer?

DC, NFS and Grid are arcade games. Pcars and Forza have sold less and probably lesser people playing it. GT community is definitely much bigger. Also Course maker app is pretty easy to use and transfer to PS3. My guess is there will 2 games for sure in PS4.

Isn't this question like asking "Will Fast and Furious 8 be the last in the Fast franchise?" No.. It won't. Whilst there is an audience and there is money to be made, they will keep making them.

Wait a minute, wasn't everyone complaining about the course maker being a mobile app? And now one of the reasons that GT could end after GT7 is mobile games? That also need a compatible mobile device (tablet, smartphone), just like the course maker does? How the hell is mobile gaming taking over console gaming?

Tablet/mobile version of GT7?? Do you even... brain? Oh, I get it, let's carry a wheel everywhere with our tablet to play Gran Turismo... Or a DS4 controller... Or use the touch pad, which is very good to play games... Whats's next? We already have gaming PC's, sometime we will get be getting "gaming Smartphones"? That's a nice excuse to make those already overpriced smartphones (that last what? One year for most people?), even more overpriced... And the battery with the modern phones drains very fast, now imagine in those "super advanced gaming smartphones"... 5 minutes of battery...

The main reasons for the lack of sales, was the game being released pretty much at the same time as the new consoles and games such as GTA V, BF4 and a bunch others, European crysis, etc. Really bad timing. The audience is also changing a lot, the marked as changed, and that you can see with every other game... This generation of gamers is obsessed with looks, just watch the first trailer for fallout 4, and the reactions to it... "oh the graphics suck", "It looks just like fallout 3". This is just an example of what this generation of gamers is... you either have some solid fanbase that will buy the game no matter what (COD or FIFA), or you have to do a lot more to keep the sales up. In a game like Gran Turismo, you really have to love cars in some way to buy it, and that audience is vanishing. And it's not the gaming industry that is getting messed up, the music industry and the clothing industry too... No matter how good is your music, or how well made some clothing brand does their products, what's mainstream will always sell more, that simple. Sad, but it is what it is... All this just to say that, the game has to improve, and will improve somehow and in some way, but will never be perfect and will never hit sales numbers as before.

Will GT7 be the last game?

Yes. GT7 will be the game to end all games. After GT7 all other games will be rendered redundant, Pandora's box will be opened, and an army of giggling clowns will the descend on the earth and destroy us all.

Maybe.

Honestly, I think the stagnancy in the games industry has started to catch up to it in recent years, and publishers may well soon realise that just releasing sequel after sequel doesn't necessarily get you further. Will this lead to another gaming crash? Will it lead to increased creativity? Will it lead to some beloved franchises falling off the radar? Who knows.

So long as GT keeps making a profit, there will likely be more games. Will those be as we have seen before, or will they be of a different kind, maybe on mobiles, maybe as smaller GT Concept style chunks on PSN? Who knows. One can't predict the future, but they can guess at it.

@dacc10 Your last paragraph is on point, but I have a problem with this aspect of your post:

....How the hell is mobile gaming taking over console gaming?

Tablet/mobile version of GT7?? Do you even... brain? Oh, I get it, let's carry a wheel everywhere with our tablet to play Gran Turismo... Or a DS4 controller... Or use the touch pad, which is very good to play games...

Firstly, take a look at how Mobile gaming is faring in Japan. It has become such a dominant means of gaming that consoles have been made virtually redundant there. It doesn't take much research to see what I am on about. I am aware this only shows trends in one country whereas console gaming is still a big thing in European and American territories, but Polyphony Digital is based in Japan and it would obviously mean a lot to the company to be recognised in their home market.

Secondly, if you are going to talk about how you play a Gran Turismo game on a mobile platform, you are going to have to look at it from a different viewpoint. Touch screen and/or motion sense will be the main source of control, not gaming peripherals we have familiarised ourselves with in console/PC gaming. The majority of people who would play a mobile Gran Turismo game are casual fans of racing games, like they would be on GT PSP - Did that allow you to play on a racing wheel?

This is one pretty ridiculous assumption.

GT is Sony's best-selling video game franchise. I'm pretty sure GT will only die when Sony will die. It's like if Microsoft got rid of Halo or Nintendo getting rid of Mario even though 1 game didn't sell well. You can't just get rid of your cash cow.

So love it or hate it Gran Turismo seems to be lacking of late, and this newest announcement about the track editor essentially being an hipster phone / tablet app.

Will people buy GT7 or wait til it's in the cheap bin at your local gaming retailer?
It is not likely GT will end after GT7.

This is one pretty ridiculous assumption.

GT is Sony's best-selling video game franchise. I'm pretty sure GT will only die when Sony will die. It's like if Microsoft got rid of Halo or Nintendo getting rid of Mario even though 1 game didn't sell well. You can't just get rid of your cash cow.

That's something I wanted to say. GT is a brand. It may be dumb comparision but let's take Scooby Doo, iconic cartoon character. He's so well known that it will go on, he's making money. Even if the newest show looks (never watched it), well, not too good. It's not like GT is a bad game, no, it's far away from being one. The Cruise Maker thing was pretty dumb move but will not kill GT.

Firstly, take a look at how Mobile gaming is faring in Japan. It has become such a dominant means of gaming that consoles have been made virtually redundant there. It doesn't take much research to see what I am on about. I am aware this only shows trends in one country whereas console gaming is still a big thing in European and American territories, but Polyphony Digital is based in Japan and it would obviously mean a lot to the company to be recognised in their home market.

Secondly, if you are going to talk about how you play a Gran Turismo game on a mobile platform, you are going to have to look at it from a different viewpoint. Touch screen and/or motion sense will be the main source of control, not gaming peripherals we have familiarised ourselves with in console/PC gaming. The majority of people who would play a mobile Gran Turismo game are casual fans of racing games, like they would be on GT PSP - Did that allow you to play on a racing wheel?

I get what you are saying. But a trend in one country isn't enough to assume something like "consoles are dying". And then, that's more a cultural thing for them, using technology in everything and everywhere they can... And other thing that shows the difference between japanese market and the rest of the markets, is the number of sales of Nintendo 3DS, which was almost 1/3 bigger, than PS4 sales. The same with PS Vita. Here almost no one buys those, and would rather buy something more expensive, like a console (whether old gen or new gen) or even a PC. You can clearly see a tendency for them to buy portable consoles instead of "normal" ones (lack of a better word). Here on the other hand, how many PS4/XBOX 1's were sold per Nintendo 3DS or PS Vita? Atleast I know more people with the first than the latter...

There might be other factors. How much do they (in Japan) pay for those mobile games? And how much for a good smartphone, compared to the price of a new console? Because here, we buy a good smartphone for half the price of a PS4. If you want a better, then you would pay a lot more. Now imagine how much would be for a smartphone able to play something like a GT7 Mobile game...

As for PD, if they feel the need to make a mobile game as a secondary game (Gran Turismo Mobile for example, not a GT7 on tablet...), a simpler game, easier and cheaper to produce, then go ahead. But never make their main game a mobile game. Gran Turismo should be growing alongside it's competitors, not turning into another arcade mobile game...

But on a PSP, you have an analog stick, the 4 "playstation" buttons, direction buttons, etc. More like a screen in the middle of your controller. Now would you be able to play as well in a touch screen as you play with the controller? Motion sense won't be any better, and would be pretty much unplayable for someone who likes to drive with some kind of precision etc.

...Why? You quitting gaming or something? Going into a secluded mountain Buddhist temple with no electricity, to train? :dopey:

After the insult to gaming that GT6 is to anyone who is not an online gamer. I would never think of any GT as an automatic buy again. If they continue to focus on the online aspect of the series to the exclusion of the one player game then it will die quickly.

After the insult to gaming that GT6 is to anyone who is not an online gamer. I would never think of any GT as an automatic buy again. If they continue to focus on the online aspect of the series to the exclusion of the one player game then it will die quickly.

...I believe this too. Neglecting to craft a decent single player could serve to further sully the once-good name of GT.

Unfortunately, with a handful of high profile games going MP only, it seems it's a "In-thing" right now with game devs, it feels like... :boggled:

I disagree. They have lots of things to do offline in GT games. The online login bonuses and earning quick cash in seasonal events is a good incentive though. Even if Kaz retires I think GT will continue. But PS6 and GT11 is something you never know. Definitely PS5 will be there so I reckon GT9 and GT10 will be on it. GT7 and GT8 obviously on PS4.

At this point I doubt GT8 will be on PS4 since GT7 will be coming out more than halfway through the PS4's lifecycle. Unless they pull another GT6, meaning barely make any changes at all and shove it out the door at the end of the systems' life.

To be honest GT6 the physics changes was enough to warrant a new game apart from other things. Once they have released the game it is much easier to improve it and release the next game in much shorter span of time. Two games in a generation is most likely. May be GT8 will be on PS4 and PS5 launch game. Having just 1 game on PS4 does not make sense to me. PS5 has to be compatible with PS4 games for sure, unlike PS4 :banghead:

I disagree. They have lots of things to do offline in GT games. The online login bonuses and earning quick cash in seasonal events is a good incentive though. Even if Kaz retires I think GT will continue. But PS6 and GT11 is something you never know. Definitely PS5 will be there so I reckon GT9 and GT10 will be on it. GT7 and GT8 obviously on PS4.
Really? You think Not Races in GT mode, Not Races in Arcade mode and Not Races in online seasonal's belong in a RACE GAME? The one and only thing I found worth doing outside of online in this game was time attack. That is not worth full game money.

As for how important online is.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/6012-i...yer-or-multiplayer-games-for-the-rest-of-your

Not very is the answer.

They must reboot the franchise and make it valid for ALL players if they want it to survive.

To be honest GT6 the physics changes was enough to warrant a new game apart from other things. Once they have released the game it is much easier to improve it and release the next game in much shorter span of time. Two games in a generation is most likely. May be GT8 will be on PS4 and PS5 launch game. Having just 1 game on PS4 does not make sense to me. PS5 has to be compatible with PS4 games for sure, unlike PS4 :banghead:
Not likely is this console going to last for 8-10 years with the rapid pace of technological innovation and the explosion of mobile gaming. If GT7 launches 3 years after the PS4, GT8 better come out within 2 years after that or it faces the same situation that GT6 is not in, being an outdated game released at the end of a console's life.

GT will always be present until the end of PS days and thankfully PD won't turn the series to garbage like EA did with the NFS series.

Nintendo's next console is coming out in 2 years or less, and it will be capable of 4k resolution. This will be a problem for Sony and Microsoft.
If it's competitive price-wise, that would be a real game changer.

Where's the poll for this thread? I was really hoping for another "Will PD/GT/Kaz/SCE die/fail/collapse/lose fans?" poll.

Hyperbole much? I rarely play online and still got tons of fun out of the game as many other people too.
Even with all its flaws, you act like GT6 is unplayable, might want to back down with that slightly.

If you like it that fine for you. It's not good enough for me. Time attacking is the only thing I got out of this game. One thing only. That's not good enough. As soon as I got Assetto Corsa on PC, GT6's days were numbered. I still check it out now and again but really, for full game money that just is not enough.

Insult is not hyberbole. There is no other word you can use to describe racing in GT6. The AI gives it up so you can win! What other word could be used!

I don't think GT7 will be the last in the series - the GT games are important to Sony because they sell consoles - some people bought PS3's so they could play GT5 and some will buy a PS4 to play GT7. Also you will have to pay to play online so that brings in a different revenue stream to Sony.

However - it could be the case that casual gamers will not see the need to upgrade consoles because they are happy with the graphics and do not think it is worth the cost of upgrading. I know that the Wii was a massive hit which sold to many people who were first time gamers, but the WiiU I believe has been a comparative flop. I bought a Wii for my kids and probably like many other families we see no need to upgrade to a WiiU. My kids also have an XBox360 - it doesn't get a lot of use because they aren't serious gamers, but we won't be getting an Xbone because they and their friends are perfectly happy playing Kinnect Adventures from time to time and other similar games.

With each new generation of console and games there are diminishing returns in terms of the improvement in gameplay so it may be that PS4 and Xbone will not sell in the high numbers achieved in the past and therefore games like the GT series and Forza will also not sell in those previous high numbers. From reading this site I understand that Forza 6 sales have been low so far.

My kids and their friends seem more interested in spending time on their phones and tablets than gaming on consoles.

There was an interview on GTPlanet recently with a Sony Executive about the ambition to use virtual reality headsets with Gran Turismo. I think they are looking for some way - some breakthrough to make upgrading an essential thing rather than just a might do which I think is the current situation for most casual gamers and Mums and Dads.

So, no GT7 won't be the last in the series - it remains a title that helps sell consoles and is therefore important to Sony, but until something big happens like low cost, high quality VR, sales of games and consoles may remain below past expectations.

I doubt it its one of the bet video game series

Oh.... My..... God.....

Seeing the threads that had been necroed, it seems most of the discussion stops between September and Nevember.

God, ive been waiting so long (even though i really didnt anymore).

Back