Will the Logitech wheel work on PS4?

• Thread starter SKOT_FREE
  • 98 comments
Really bad news for PS4 owners. I wouldn't lose hope, after all neither the G25 / 27 were officially licensed PS3 products and they worked with it. Fanatec wheels worked on PS3 as well. Maybe developers will be able to "sneak in" the drivers for these wheels in their game without officially supporting them, kinda like when GT5 was previous to adding the remapping function of the G25 / 27.

Unfortunately this looks like it's SONY's new requirements and not Logi's.

Really bad news for PS4 owners. I wouldn't lose hope, after all neither the G25 / 27 were officially licensed PS3 products and they worked with it. Fanatec wheels worked on PS3 as well. Maybe developers will be able to "sneak in" the drivers for these wheels in their game without officially supporting them, kinda like when GT5 was previous to adding the remapping function of the G25 / 27.

Unfortunately this looks like it's SONY's new requirements and not Logi's.
I would lose hope. The DFGT, G25, and G27 all lack a sort of chip that will be required for USB security on the PS4. It is not a big deal to me. By then, I'll have seriously gotten my money's worth. I'll probably start looking into a t500 or t300 next year. Then buy a ps4 around the time gt7 comes out and I'll buy MGS as well :)

They're becoming outdated anyways IMO. The gear drive gets to me sometimes, too. I'll probably just buy a thrust master or fantec wheel and hook up my g27 pedals, because I will use those forever. Even if it requires splicing or installing the same pots or load cells into my setup.

I would lose hope. The DFGT, G25, and G27 all lack a sort of chip that will be required for USB security on the PS4. It is not a big deal to me. By then, I'll have seriously gotten my money's worth. I'll probably start looking into a t500 or t300 next year. Then buy a ps4 around the time gt7 comes out and I'll buy MGS as well :)

They're becoming outdated anyways IMO. The gear drive gets to me sometimes, too. I'll probably just buy a thrust master or fantec wheel and hook up my g27 pedals, because I will use those forever. Even if it requires splicing or installing the same pots or load cells into my setup.
Why would the Logitech wheels need a security chip to work on the PS4 while the T500 needs no chip? That is the biggest line of BS to date about wheel support on the PS4.

Why would the Logitech wheels need a security chip to work on the PS4 while the T500 needs no chip? That is the biggest line of BS to date about wheel support on the PS4.
I'm pretty sure the t500 does. Unless you have information that states it does not. Pretty sure any USB device is going to need said style of security chip, if it will be communicating with the system and game.

Keep in mind that this does not rule out one wheel and that Sony has no stake in thrustmaster. This is Sony. Not PD. Zero to so with PD. They're probably more pisssed than us. A LOT of their fan base has to go and buy another wheel to use their game. That sucks for them more the. It does for us. This also means no controller but a ps4 controller will be compatible. I figure it was to create a monopoly on that front, rather than aimed specifically at g2- users lol wut? It seems they're just making sure you can't use generic accessories. Cameras, controllers, terminals, external drives, etc. All of those could be used on a ps3 and you could use any brand.

I sure hope so :banghead: Nothing wrong with my current g27 and since it works on my PC and ps3 I don't see why it won't work on a PS4. Would seem silly to stop supporting a device that a lot of your user base all ready has. What I have not seen posted is if any one actually connected a G27 to a PS 4 to see what happens, yes I do know that There is not current version of GT 6/7 that runs on a ps4 unless there is a beta in Yaz's living room. So until I see that I will continue to believe my G27 will work and that there really is a Easter bunny and tooth fairy. So I said my piece and I don't think the sky is falling....yet

Exactly what Sony is counting on. Just hold still this wont hurt a bit.
I don't understand the snide posts like this. OMG of course! Just what they want! Screw PD! Under that logic, you would have to assume that either 1) Sony had it out for logitech, which is senseless...or 2) Sony has a stake in one company that is part of a very, very niche market. Neither are the case, so I do not know what begs your response.

I think a lot of you are placing blame on companies that have nothing to do with this. The DFGT and G wheels are outdated. I have a G27 and I've realized this long ago. Logitech couldn't have anticipated what Sony was going to do four or five years later after they started selling the G27. Logitech wheels work with the ps3. That's it. They weren't designed around working with them AND the PC, like the thrustmaster. Which is probably why it either works with said chip or Sony unlocked one wheel to be used via some sort of communication ID. Sort of like a system ID, but for a wheel. If you allow the G27, since the ps3 sees it as generic wheel...you're allowing every other wheel. GT6/PD just happens to provide drivers and support for it themselves. But generic wheels not designed to work with a console are gone. Either someone comes up with a newer chip that we can solder into the board or somewhere in the circuitry or we buy new wheels.

Complaining about anyone other than Sony is useless.

Unless I missed something, the Thrustmaster T500 RS is only going to work in-game, and not in the PS4 menus. The T500 is not labelled as a PS4 compatible wheel, not even by Thrustmaster. (On a side note, The T500 is no longer visible in any current product menus on Thrustmaster.com, so maybe its been discontinued?). So when Logitech says their wheels requires a chip for "full functionality", the wheels could probably still be supported in-game, just like the T500.

Now I just wish Fanatec would re-write the firmware to emulate the T500 and solve the PS4 compatibility, so I dont have to sell my newly bought CSW wheelbase (either that or buy a gaming PC).

Now I just wish Fanatec would re-write the firmware to emulate the T500 and solve the PS4 compatibility, so I dont have to sell my newly bought CSW wheelbase (either that or buy a gaming PC).

Much easier said, than done. I wish Sony would just say, hey Fanatec your hardware works with our system because we decided it was logical.

@Sprocket

If I am wrong, then...maybe Logitech just doesn't care to rewrite new firmware for an old wheel to work with new software. I wouldn't either. They don't make them anymore. We're lucky enough that they help us with customer support, that we can get parts for them, etc.

(On a side note, The T500 is no longer visible in any current product menus on Thrustmaster.com, so maybe its been discontinued?).

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t500rs

One point of interest: When the PS4 came out guys plugged in various wheels and posted about it on GTPlanet.
http://f-wheel.com/forums/index.php?topic=2858.0
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...racing-wheels-on-the-ps4.290640/#post-8976027
The answers tell me that Thrustmaster drivers are present in the PS4 OS, since the T500RS will spin up when plugged in, unlike Logitech and Fanatec wheels.

Last edited:
Actually, this whole situation is good news for me because I know that the security firmware in the PS4 is secure enough to where third parties can't go willy nilly on the wheels and apply security exploits. It is the same reason why the 360 and XBO controllers are not compatible with the other system because of their security chips that they place in their controllers.

Sony really built the PS4 OS from the ground up with network security in mind, and thus really stepped up their game from the PSN hack. By not allowing these wheels to work on the PS4, they simply removed a vulnerability that was inherent in the PS3.

Found on Redit. A response to a security chip question...

Logitech G_Charles - 1 day ago

I can respond as I'm the guy who wrote that tweet. There's a lot of nuance to the situation and not a lot that I can say right now, but:

1) The PS4 does have a system which checks for security chips on certain USB devices.
2) The G27 was designed years before the PS4 was announced, so there's no PS4 security chip.
3) We are investigating what we can do. We don't have a solid answer yet, so we're being as honest/open as possible: Currently the wheel doesn't work with PS4, and there will be a chip that will always prevent full functionality with the PS4.

And a reply to a more in depth question...

That's far too long of a post with way too many different points for me to give a simple, concise answer to. Also, I'd probably mess up some of the explanations as my knowledge of the low-level stuff is cursory, so I'd probably accidentally just make things more confusing.

It is a true statement that full and total compatibility of the wheel with the PS4 does require a chip in the wheel. I can't say much else at this point, unfortunately,

We are investigating what we can do! I can't say much else at this point! Full functionality!
There's a mixture of disappointment and hope. Make of that what you will.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t500rs

One point of interest: When the PS4 came out guys plugged in various wheels and posted about it on GTPlanet.
http://f-wheel.com/forums/index.php?topic=2858.0
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...racing-wheels-on-the-ps4.290640/#post-8976027
The answers tell me that Thrustmaster drivers are present in the PS4 OS, since the T500RS will spin up when plugged in, unlike Logitech and Fanatec wheels.

The T500 is NOT listed under any PC/PS3/PS4 categories on the generic non-UK-specifik Thrustmaster.com site, atleast not the site opened with the browser in my danish location. The T500 Ferrari F1 is available in their official webshop at a discounted price, and listed as a PC/PS3 device, not a PS4, which could be a could mean that its on its way out. But hey, if it works on PS4 :)

Not sure if this made the rounds before...

Just read this from the Guilemont Corp (Thrustmaster controlling company) financial reports:

Prospects for 2014
Now a world leader in the racing wheel market thanks to its exclusive positioning with regard to the new game consoles, the Group is expanding its product lines in order to take full advantage of this year’s rollout of the Xbox® One console in 26 new countries, as well as the rapid growth in PlayStation®4 console sales, and aims to take the lead in mobile DJing products for tablets. Thanks to the worldwide potential of its new releases, the Group anticipates sales growth for fiscal 2014.​

http://www.guillemot.com/dmdocuments...ars2014_EN.pdf

And again here:
For Sony consoles, the T80 and T80 DriveClub™ models – the first wheels for the PlayStation®4 console, also compatible with PlayStation®3 – have taken full advantage of both the launch of the PS4 console and of the game Gran Turismo® 6 on PS3. Thrustmaster’s exclusive positioning on the new consoles has allowed it to sell these new products worldwide, and further expand its distribution network.

http://www.guillemot.com/dmdocuments...janv2014EN.pdf

At the end of the day, the customers will decide. If you choose to buy just one brand then Sony will have no reason to change this monopoly situation. With every purchase of such a wheel you support the restrictive policies and eliminate competition.

Just compare what you get for your money if a wheel has competition like the wheel which is discussed here or if it is an exclusive offer. Decide by yourself if a monopoly makes products more expensive and limit innovation.

It is not a question of money but a matter of principle for Sony and only Sony can change this situation if you let them know.

We have good products and we are not afraid of competition.
Just bought a Porsche GT3 RS V2 wheel on top of my CSR. I prefer to stand by the quality of your wheels and switch to PC in order to keep enjoying them in the future, than to follow along with Sony/ MS's underhand policies and be literally forced to spend twice as much on a inferior wheel from whoever they chose to be compatible on their consoles.

They're asking me to get two wheels, two rigs, two screens and an extension to my home when one wheel will do thanks.
Sad but true. I guess because a huge part of the gaming crowd are kids or teens, they think they can take advantage of their excitement and impulsiveness (and they do).

Not sure if this made the rounds before...

Just read this from the Guilemont Corp (Thrustmaster controlling company) financial reports:

Prospects for 2014
Now a world leader in the racing wheel market thanks to its exclusive positioning with regard to the new game consoles, the Group is expanding its product lines in order to take full advantage of this year’s rollout of the Xbox® One console in 26 new countries, as well as the rapid growth in PlayStation®4 console sales, and aims to take the lead in mobile DJing products for tablets. Thanks to the worldwide potential of its new releases, the Group anticipates sales growth for fiscal 2014.​

http://www.guillemot.com/dmdocuments...ars2014_EN.pdf

And again here:
For Sony consoles, the T80 and T80 DriveClub™ models – the first wheels for the PlayStation®4 console, also compatible with PlayStation®3 – have taken full advantage of both the launch of the PS4 console and of the game Gran Turismo® 6 on PS3. Thrustmaster’s exclusive positioning on the new consoles has allowed it to sell these new products worldwide, and further expand its distribution network.

http://www.guillemot.com/dmdocuments...janv2014EN.pdf
2037427-17ee6d5b8de926983b07d36fe0c7792a.jpg

Last edited:
If my CSR-E (Buhler motors), and CSP V2 aren't compatible with a PS4 then I will take my sim racing to a PC. For the cost of a PS4 and a high quality wheel and pedal set I can be well on my way to a dedicated racing PC and then I am free of the BS that the console manufacturers dole out to their users.

I liked the simplicity of a console and have both an PS3 (GT6) and X360 (FM4). I had already decided to not proceed to the XOne since it wasn't compatible with the CSR-E but was waiting to see what Sony was going to do. Sony owns both PlayStation and GT so they could easily make the sim racing hardware backward compatible. Failing to do so shows no respect for this segment of the market. The portion of the sim community who has high end wheels and pedals may not be huge but it adds credibility to the GT franchise as the "real driving simulator". I think it is a foolish decision if they don't make the legacy equipment work with GT7.

Well then, since Sony wants to have an exclusive manufacturer for sim-racing wheels for the PS4, this has now put the last nail in the coffin for me.

GT6 could very well be the final one I play, not because of the game itself, but because of Sony.

Last edited:
There are some pretty dramatic "never" posts today...

Don't forget the next gen consoles are here for 6-8 years. A lot can change: new peripheral vendors, maybe a fully multi platform wheel, unexpectedly good new console-exclusive games.

Besides, in PC terms as an absolute minimum you will need to buy a €200-300 graphics card every 2-3 years to keep up (triple screen owners need to spend more), and a new PC (well, CPU, motherboard and RAM) every 4-5 years is pretty much unavoidable. If your current wheel breaks, or you look at the PC upgrade costs and compare to a nice cheap "mid life" PS4...... Time will tell :)

To clarify my post, if Thrustmaster is the only one to make wheels for the PS4 because Sony wants everyone else to piss off, then I cannot support that. But yes, things can change.

I wonder if a huge drop in participants in the popular GT Academy will change anything seeing as how most people were using Logitechs and Fanatecs. Those people probably wont bother trying with a pad. I know i won't.

Besides, in PC terms as an absolute minimum you will need to buy a €200-300 graphics card every 2-3 years to keep up (triple screen owners need to spend more), and a new PC (well, CPU, motherboard and RAM) every 4-5 years is pretty much unavoidable. If your current wheel breaks, or you look at the PC upgrade costs and compare to a nice cheap "mid life" PS4...... Time will tell :)

That is making seem a bit worse than it is. There are a couple of things you forgot to mention about PC gaming.

1. You actually get really good PC with your gaming PC and that has a value (for most people) not attached to gaming
2. When you upgrade your parts, you sell your old ones. So the effective price you pay for new components is never full MSRP. If you are smart and take advantage of holiday sales for new items, and sell your old one's before their respective model is replaced (GPU's and CPU's), your upgrade costs are minimal
3. Triple screen is expensive no matter your preference (console or PC) and if you have that kind of money... well money matters a little less.
4. RAM is now very cheap and will stay that way until DDR4
5. If you take the cost of your PC and then factor in the wider variety of sims available the PC starts to make a lot of sense. On console, it is either GT or Forza. pCARS is the only other "sim" on the horizon. So you are buying a new console and wheel for 1, maybe 2 games. On a cost per game basis, the PC makes much more sense.

That being said, I do partly agree with your statement and it would be interesting to see the state of sim racing on a cost basis after this gen is over.

I wonder if a huge drop in participants in the popular GT Academy will change anything seeing as how most people were using Logitechs and Fanatecs. Those people probably wont bother trying with a pad. I know i won't.

This is what I am banking on. Look at the top 1,000 GT Academy drivers in each region. I would be willing to be over 75% own either a logitech of Fanatec. Even among the entire GT Academy field WW I bet that number is close to 50%. What happens when half of these people refuse to buy a Thrustmaster wheel (lets face it, not everyone has that kind of money)? The competition is dramatically changed for the worse. Let's hope Kaz realizes this and puts some pressure on SCE.

^ Good post, what's also a nice forecast is all these console owners who will make the switch to pc sooner or later so they can keep using their Logi/ Fanatecs. Any dude that likes console racing and is sitting on one of these wheels will consider the option so the online presence for PC racing games will blossom 👍

You don't need to do these upgrades unless you want to improve performance. With a console you have no option to improve performance you just have to wait until the next one comes along... and if you have expensive peripherals you have to hope they will work with the new console.

Upgrading a PC is also ala carte. You can evaluate where you system can be improved and upgrade individual components. For example I greatly improved the performance of my desktop PC by replacing the operating system hard drive with a solid state drive. It was relatively inexpensive but gave a big boost in overall performance.

Sad but true. I guess because a huge part of the gaming crowd are kids or teens, they think they can take advantage of their excitement and impulsiveness (and they do).

I don't know many impulsive teens that can afford the kind of sim racing gear we're talking about here. Seems to me they're only hurting the hardcore community once again. I was really looking forward to Project Cars too but I'm not going to by another rig just for one game.

Back