Will the relatively poor sales of GT6 affect the development of GTSport?

Will the abysmal sales of GT6 have an effect on how GT7 is designed and developed?

• Definitely. I think they will take this as a sign that they need a major overhaul of the franchise.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Somewhat. Much of the game will remain "GT", but some parts will be overhauled completely.

Votes: 111 53.6%
  • Not at all. Business as usual. A familiar game targeted towards a more casual audience ala GT6.

Votes: 62 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the sales were affecting development at all, and I wouldn't exactly call 2 million abysmal, (abysmal is more around 500,000 units sold) So no, GT6 development has been slowed by GT Sport, and eventually GT7.

Perhaps change the name of the thread to Poor Sales.

Last edited:
Well...

Normally, 5 million sales is a pretty good number of sales.

But when you compare GT6's sales to the rest of the sales in the GT series...you can see why it can be seen as 'abysmal'.

I, personally, wouldn't say the sales were abysmal, however.

Mildly edited due to not looking at the updated sales, oops

Last edited:
5 million sales? Really...Most of them must of really came at an insane discounted price as it was selling horribly.

Still 5 million is insanely impressive...no wonder PD dont change much...They are like the EA of the racing world.

Sooo.. Around 5 million so far.... You were only around 2.63 million out... Nice going Penso! :sly:

This thread was bought to you by VGChartz F***ing up numbers since 2005
As has already been explained, this thread was prompted by a GTP News Article which was the source of the information in the OP. If you want to whine to someone, try sending a PM to @Jordan or @Terronium-12. Very shortly after the information was made out of date, I made a post on this thread and "reported" the post to mods about closing the thread if they feel it's necessary.

5 million is neither abysmal or poor. It's actually quite healthy for this genre.

The only thing abysmal I can see is the adjectives used in this thread and title to describe sales.
At the time of the OP, GTP was telling us the sales of GT6 was 2.37 million. If you don't think that is abysmal for a full GT game, you need to take of those several pairs of rose coloured glasses you have on.

I don't think the sales were affecting development at all, and I wouldn't exactly call 2 million abysmal, (abysmal is more around 500,000 units sold) So no, GT6 development has been slowed by GT Sport, and eventually GT7.

Perhaps change the name of the thread to Poor Sales.
I agree, a change in the title of the thread is in order.

As has already been explained, this thread was prompted by a GTP News Article which was the source of the information in the OP. If you want to whine to someone, try sending a PM to @Jordan or @Terronium-12. Very shortly after the information was made out of date, I made a post on this thread and "reported" the post to mods about closing the thread if they feel it's necessary.

You had about 54 days after finding out the source to edit the OP to reflect what you knew. You chose not to. Don't try and shift the blame. I'm pretty sure whoever posted the news section rectified theirs in a speedy fashion. It's up to you to get your own posts in order.

Posting false information questions your credibility, reluctance to change it questions your integrity.

You had about 54 days after finding out the source to edit the OP to reflect what you knew. You chose not to. Don't try and shift the blame. I'm pretty sure whoever posted the news section rectified theirs in a speedy fashion. It's up to you to get your own posts in order.

Posting false information questions your credibility, reluctance to change it questions your integrity.
I agree, I should have amended the OP immediately and failed to do so, an obvious oversight on my part. I assumed the thread would be closed and just forgot about it. Apologies all around.

Welcome to GTPlanet, where the angry minority seeks out anyone with a positive opinion and treats them as less than human.

Hyperbole really sells it.

:rolleyes:

The thing about relatively is that it is relative. When compared to forza 5, GT6 sales are relatively good.

I would suggest that sales, without an adjective, would be a better stimulus for this debate.

The adjective stimulates debate, by framing it within 18 years of sale history for the franchise.

We don't know what PD's expectations were sales-wise - surely they didn't expect it to match GT5's sales, though - and we also don't know if the extra five million copies of the GT series since March 2013 are all attributed to GT6, or if there's a significant amount of GT5 amongst the mix.

We could also consider how quickly GT6 was discounted, though that might have less of an effect than some would think, since a GT game typically sells almost half of its total in the first 90 days or so. The bonus of selling ~5 million versus >10 million; at least they lost less money overall on any discount copies sold.

Hyperbole really sells it.

:rolleyes:
Call it hyperbole if you will, but it appears you haven't seen what I have. If I post any positive comments at all, I can reasonably expect people to knock me down a peg. And it's always the same few, and they go around continually doing the same **** to anyone else they see trying to be positive. @TheEvstar93 even said to me once that he sometimes felt bad about enjoying GT6 because of these people. Is that the environment we want on GTPlanet?

But that's neither here nor there. If anyone wants to PM me to continue the convo, feel free to do so. On with the topic, please.

Last edited:
I think GT7 is Gonna make or break PD at this point. If they fail to deliver I don't think there will be a GT8.
Agree'd

I think they are going to blow our minds. I think GT7 will be the best Gran Turismo by far. Great physics, phenomenal graphics, tuning that works and isn't backwards. Great sounds, a smooth and reliable online experience. No game breaking glitches. I think it's going to be nothing short of absolutely amazing.

And if it's not. Say goodbye to gran turismo.
It has been said that GT6 wasn't what it should've been. It was GT5.25 Heck, parts of the game weren't even as good as the previous models.

Kaz, Sony and PD HAVE to blow our minds, they have to make a game that has everything and beyond, they need to take the critics comments on side and implement them into the games.

From simple things like (for example):
- letting us disable automatic replay after 'single player' races.
- having the promised content on day one (and not by a day one patch / update)
- get the licenses for car makers from 'unknown. manufacturers (for example) Australia, Kazakhstan, India etc (we've had Ford FPV, Holden SSV, Ford AU, in GT4 and less in GT5/6)

Alot have people put deep comments on this topic in this thread. I just have this fear that it will be bad, (or bad for me that I won't purchase it, hell I think I got GT6 to early and should of waited)

This number is GREAT for any racing game, but its not that great for a GT. But:
Second GT in each generation always sells less than first one.
GT6 reviews were not that great.
And most important, game came out in the start of next generation chaos! you cant release a game on PS3 immediately after arriving PS4 and expect great sales number!

The irony is palpable. :rolleyes:

That's not how business works.

Sony will not allow Polyphony to make losses on the next half dozen Gran Turismos until it balances out. If Polyphony looks like they're going down the gurgler, then Sony will pull out while they're still ahead.

The whole point of business is to make money, not to piss it away on someone's hobby horse.

Every GT has been profitable, each has been one of their biggest success. Even implying a possibility of them going down the gurgler show how pathetic and weak your argument is and other then crying wolf and flooding the forum with your whines and opinions it is generally pointless.

You don't know how video game business works, they knowingly make games that are likely to leave them in the red knowing that a Uncharted or GT will pay for them couple times over.

Pissing away money, with 75 million in sales lol. I cant wait for what ever other irrelevant bs you can come up with and post.

Every GT has been profitable, each has been one of their biggest success. Even implying a possibility of them going down the gurgler show how pathetic and weak your argument is and other then crying wolf and flooding the forum with your whines and opinions it is generally pointless.

You don't know how video game business works, they knowingly make games that are likely to leave them in the red knowing that a Uncharted or GT will pay for them couple times over.

Pissing away money, with 75 million in sales lol. I cant wait for what ever other irrelevant bs you can come up with and post.
That post is awfully hostile for someone with 121 posts under their belt. I don't think I've ever agreed with Imari, but come on, I don't think he deserves... that.

That post is awfully hostile for someone with 121 posts under their belt. I don't think I've ever agreed with Imari, but come on, I don't think he deserves... that.

Been on here for a long time just don't post much here as its just whinging and bitching most of the time.

Iv been gaming for over 2 decades and experienced lots of issues and wrongs in gaming, and GTs been one of the few bright spots for so damn long. But going by this forum one would think its a broken mess.

Just look at this thread, the whining and negativity based of... BS numbers. Any decent minded person should see that but not the ignorant hate crowd. That cant get their minds right on the simple issues like to discuss or argue based on facts not just hearsay.

5 million for a game released on old hardware at the time of new gens release and with minimal marketing and bundling. 99% of the gaming world would kill for such numbers under such circumstances.
But we should worry about GTsport due to GT6s sales, right yep yep lol ohh and pigs fly.

Been on here for a long time just don't post much here as its just whinging and bitching most of the time.

Iv been gaming for over 2 decades and experienced lots of issues and wrongs in gaming, and GTs been one of the few bright spots for so damn long. But going by this forum one would think its a broken mess.

Just look at this thread, the whining and negativity based of... BS numbers. Any decent minded person should see that but not the ignorant hate crowd. That cant get their minds right on the simple issues like to discuss or argue based on facts not just hearsay.

5 million for a game released on old hardware at the time of new gens release and with minimal marketing and bundling. 99% of the gaming world would kill for such numbers under such circumstances.
But we should worry about GTsport due to GT6s sales, right yep yep lol ohh and pigs fly.
And how does any of that justify all the hostility?

Sometimes it takes a firm hand to teach some one something, and sometime some just deserve a good beating. Down the road it could help them.
You'd better listen to @SlipZtrEm. If you disagree fine. If you feel the need to defend your position, fine. But at no point should you ever stoop to sarcasm and petty insults. It lessens your argument and makes you look absolutely classless.

To answer the question generally I think it's certainly possible the reception of GT6 caused some changes within PD and their approach to the next games. GT Sport is after all the first large break from the traditional format of GT games in it's long history. Or at least it seems that way from the limited info so far, any way. One could see that as PD finally realising they should try something different to reinvigorate the franchise, based on GT6 reception.

On the other hand it could just be what they were going to do anyway, we already know the FIA stuff was coming so who knows, maybe this was the plan before GT6 even launched. We'll not know for sure unless someone at Sony or PD tells us.

Every GT has been profitable, each has been one of their biggest success.

With the possible exception of GT6, I agree. Depending on how much it cost them to make it could be anywhere from a big success to moderately profitable.

Even implying a possibility of them going down the gurgler show how pathetic and weak your argument is and other then crying wolf and flooding the forum with your whines and opinions it is generally pointless.

Ignoring your over-dramatisation of the whole thing, no business is ever invulnerable. Polyphony have done great work in the past, and made Sony a lot of money. That buys them a certain amount of leeway, but on the day that Polyphony or the Gran Turismo brand are not worth it to Sony then there will be a discussion between them. That's how business works, they're trying to make money.

Yes, and the point is that if GT is ever not making Sony money, then that's a big problem for their business model.

You seem stuck on this historical figure. It's not about the historical figure, it's about what they're doing right now. That money has come and gone. Like you said, they probably spent it supporting other games that didn't make money. So GT needs to keep being successful, keep bringing in the money, to allow Sony to continue to do that.

The post that you quoted was made before we had hard figures on sales. Knowing now that GT6 sold ~5 million, it's fairly clear that they at least broke even, based on even the most pessimistic projections. On the other hand, they probably didn't rake it in on the scale of any other GT game either. They're not in the precarious position that they could have been had GT6 gone really badly, but nor do I think that they're in as strong a position as they were in say, the early 2000s.

But this is unlikely to go anywhere. You're convinced that Polyphony is immune to anything happening to them, on the basis of them having sold a lot of stuff in the past. I think Sony makes decisions based on what Polyphony is likely to be able to do for them in the future. At the moment it seems pretty clear that Polyphony is still a valuable asset, although I make no apologies for speculation when we had less information, and I maintain that if they were to start slipping they would be in the same position as any other developer that failed to make money.

Sony have shown in the past that they're willing to shut devs down. See Studio Liverpool, which in it's day was highly iconic to the PS brand.

But you carry on. You've been so abusive that you're going straight on the ignore list, so feel free to rant some more. I'm sure some people will get a kick out of it, and it'll probably make you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back