Will the relatively poor sales of GT6 affect the development of GTSport?

Will the abysmal sales of GT6 have an effect on how GT7 is designed and developed?

• Definitely. I think they will take this as a sign that they need a major overhaul of the franchise.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Somewhat. Much of the game will remain "GT", but some parts will be overhauled completely.

Votes: 111 53.6%
  • Not at all. Business as usual. A familiar game targeted towards a more casual audience ala GT6.

Votes: 62 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
EDIT October 27, 2015: New information suggests that the series as a whole had 5 million unit sales from
March 2013 to March 2015. We don't know for sure the exact total of GT6 sales but I think it's safe to say the vast majority come from GT6, with a small amount from GT5, likely 500k or less but that's pure speculation

Original OP

As most of you are by now aware, GT6 has sold an abysmal 2.37 million copies. I expected the numbers to be low, but not that low. It introduces all kinds of variable never before seen in the GT series, primarily uncertainty as to the direction of the franchise. It also might mean GT6 was an overall loss for the Sony group for the first time, after 15 years of wildly successful releases. Heck even the Prologue outsold GT6 by more than 2:1.

I'm curious as to what effect everyone thinks this may or may not have on the development of GT7. Do you think it'll make PD take a second look at including standard cars in GT7? Do you think it'll spur them to rethink the offline gameplay, to cater to a wider range of players beyond the casuals that the GT6 appeared to be targeted to for the most part? Will they revisit the online experience to allow lobby hosts more control over events and provide them with better tools for player management, to allow a smooth, cleaner online experience? Do you think they are planning to overhaul major elements of the franchise as a result of these poor sales results?

Or do you think it'll be business as usual, basically the same type of GT game in a shinier, more powerful package with some added bells and whistles? Do you think they are confident about the direction the franchise is going and will chalk this terrible sales result up to the console transition?

NOTE: This is not a discussion of GT6 sales, you can find that discussion HERE. It's also not a bash GT6 thread, you can find that HERE.

Last edited:
No.

GT6 is a continuation development of GT5. Plus GT6 is released under the radar and by the looks of it, not so different as GT5. And then the declining of last gen as a whole.

The real affect to GT7 sales is how much and looks can we expected in GT7. Which means we must have a trailer, description, and screenshots to do it.

EDIT: Love how all polls are basically negative.....[/s]

Depends on what Sony expected them to be vs what they got more than anything else.

If we go by the past figures it would seem Sony has some worrying to do:

In the millions:

Gran Turismo 10.850
Gran Turismo 2 9.370
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14.890
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1.560
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 1.400
Gran Turismo 4 11.730
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 5.350
Gran Turismo PSP 4.220
Gran Turismo 5 10.890
Gran Turismo 6 2.370

In the millions:

Gran Turismo 10.850
Gran Turismo 2 9.370
Gran Turismo 4 11.730
Gran Turismo PSP 4.220
Gran Turismo 5 10.890
Gran Turismo 6 2.370
Same time frame?

In the millions:

Gran Turismo 10.850
Gran Turismo 2 9.370
Gran Turismo 4 11.730
Gran Turismo PSP 4.220
Gran Turismo 5 10.890
Gran Turismo 6 2.370
I have a feeling Kaz is confuzzled at these low sales for gt6

Err no. They will have had expectations for sales numbers but very soon after launch they would have known that it wasn't going to turn out that way.

I don't think so. It depends how much they spent making GT6. I bet the total spend on GT6 was much less than GT5; less time in development, less money spent on acquiring licences, didn't have to develop a new engine etc.

In the context of other games, 2.37 million is pretty good going. I think the game will have comfortably made a profit with those figures.

Hopefully the ~7 million drop in sales from GT5 will give PD food for thought. I don't think anyone at Sony or PD will have predicted a 70% drop in sales, even though the game released after the PS4 launched.

Last edited:

In the millions:

Gran Turismo 10.850
Gran Turismo 2 9.370
Gran Turismo 4 11.730
Gran Turismo PSP 4.220
Gran Turismo 5 10.890
Gran Turismo 6 2.370
But we're not going by past sales figures.

...If I was Panicky Dave from Accounting, probably I'd send a letter of concern. But y'know what, 2.3+ mil is actually better than I thought.

{shrugs shoulder}

but isnt it a problem that Gt5 has 10 million sales, but GT6 only has 2 millon sales?

It might be. For all we know PD planned on selling significantly less copies of GT6 than previous games. Probably not this amount, but less nonetheless.

It might be. For all we know PD planned on selling significantly less copies of GT6 than previous games. Probably not this amount, but less nonetheless.
Lets hope Gt7 dose better. But I was shocked to see that Gt5 has FIVE TIMES the amount of sales as Gt6.

It also might mean GT6 was an overall loss for the Sony group for the first time

GT6 sales maybe, but overall, I highly doubt that to be honest. In an industry where billions are spent on advertisement each year, all the virtual advertising PD has done probably brought in more bank for Sony than any sales ever have.

AKA, the reason why there is no paid DLC for GT6. If money was a worry, or the books needed balancing, we would have been flooded with the stuff.

GT6 sales maybe, but overall, I highly doubt that to be honest. In an industry where billions are spent on advertisement each year, all the virtual advertising PD has done probably brought in more bank for Sony than any sales ever have.
So your contention is that losing 8 million unit sales made no difference to Sony's bottom line? I find that hard to believe. Even at $25/unit that's $200Million.

AKA, the reason why there is no paid DLC for GT6. If money was a worry, or the books needed balancing, we would have been flooded with the stuff.
There could be many reasons why there is no DLC, among them:

1. 15th anniversary gift to the fans.
2. GT5 DLC didn't sell as expected and they didn't expect GT6 to sell nearly as well and figured it wasn't profitable.
3. Trying to distance themselves from the competition (Forza mainly) by having all DLC for free.
4. Using free DLC as a hook to sell what they knew was a substandard game.

And more. Money is always a worry for every corporation, always. If they didn't sell DLC I guarantee there was some ulterior motive behind it that was better for the franchise overall, rather than, "oh we don't need the money so just give it away".

I think it's because between 2009 to 2012 the sales of ps3's were at it's peak and gt5 could be brought as a bundle with a ps3 with it so it's posible that during that time gt5 had a small bonus of sales. The reason why I think gt6 had low sales it's because of when they started to sell it.

GT5 came out when the popularity of the ps3 was at its peak.

GT6 came out when the popularity of the ps3 was starting to drop.

GT6 was very simillar to gt5 and many people didn't like that part too.

Many things like bad online experiance, missing features and the car list may have affected gt6 sales because of it.

I think timing is the resaon why gt5 sold well vs gt6.

I think kaz had plan this and went to gt7 devlopment sooner than He would normaly do

( I did my best to write this but, it may not be perfect but I tried to make it as clear as I could ).

http://www.statista.com/statistics/276768/global-unit-sales-of-video-game-consoles/

Last edited:
So your contention is that losing 8 million unit sales made no difference to Sony's bottom line? I find that hard to believe. Even at $25/unit that's $200Million.

It depends on a LOT of factors mate, What went into the project, what they realistically expected back from a game released AFTER there new platform was out. etc. Don't tell me you really think Sony were expecting gigantic sales from a game they were never gonna give a lot of coverage for? For a franchise that relies heavily shiny graphics to wow and entice a lot of casual racers I'm surprised it shifted that many. I know lots of people on PS3 who had recently upgraded to PS4 who didn't even know it was coming out on PS3... Then questioned why. Oh BTW the numbers Sony gave to the courts were from 2014 I think.

If they didn't sell DLC I guarantee there was some ulterior motive behind it that was better for the franchise overall, rather than, "oh we don't need the money so just give it away".

Yeah, one of the reasons is called Vision GT. Just told you this.... You don't think PD is doing this **** for free and not taking some of that lovely advertising money corporations like to throw around do you? :lol:

Still selling millions, still making millions.

It's not an issue really... unless GT7 sells less than GT6, which I can't imagine it will.

Not sure what you mean by effecting the development of GT7, they've been working on it for years already.

It'll probably have 🤬-all effect on GT7 development given PD's attitude to it's customers. Sony will be lucky if GT7 even breaks 1 million sales, let alone 2 million+ for Driveclub and 1 million+ for pCARS.

I'm not that suprised on GT6's sales being low. It was sold on the PS3 just as the PS4 was launching where as GT5 was sold in 2010, possibly the time when the most amount of people owned PS3's.

Instead of blaming PD for what a 'cheap' game they released, I think one also has to consider the times we live in now. The difference between 2015 and 2005, I'd say, have brought a major shift in how people behave, due to everything from the endless options of gaming and video streaming and never ending information feeding through the net. It's like every single person on this planet is a critic now, it's good and bad, the bad part being that people are ALL over the map and the sense of appreciation and passion for things has REALLY taken a hit. Everything is processed and effectively forgotten about by the next day, it's really annoying to me actually.

In terms of GT6, nobody can say that the game was a flop vs GT5 or any other racing game on PC or XB. It is a strange drop in sales, I really thought when this sales figure update would come we'd see something like 5mil.+, but seriously, I would attribute this to how people in 2015 consume media and that perhaps car culture is on a downturn.. there is definitely not the same excitement about having a tuned & modified car amongst young people these days compared to the 90s and early 2000's. I don't know, I'm not worried about if GT7 will be a marvelous game, I know it will be, but if sales don't match those of previous generations, I'd be very cautious as to the reasoning behind it and not jump on PD for 'failing their fanbase'. Surely we can find the missing 8 million racers let down by GT6 on the other platforms racing like prostars, right?? lol... /scarcasm

Instead of blaming PD for what a 'cheap' game they released, I think one also has to consider the times we live in now. The difference between 2015 and 2005, I'd say, have brought a major shift in how people behave, due to everything from the endless options of gaming and video streaming and never ending information feeding through the net. It's like every single person on this planet is a critic now, it's good and bad, the bad part being that people are ALL over the map and the sense of appreciation and passion for things has REALLY taken a hit. Everything is processed and effectively forgotten about by the next day, it's really annoying to me actually.

funny you mention 2005, when GT5 sold very well in 2010.

funny you mention 2005, when GT5 sold very well in 2010.

Ok true, but I'm comparing a generational shift, and it's perhaps because GT5 Prolugue and GT5 were released at a time there was no other racing game on PS3. Maybe the vast majority of people who bought GT5 realized it's 'too much' for them and there was no reason to upgrade to GT6 because they were never hardcore racing/car enthusiasts to start with. What's for sure, is that, even with GT5's epic sales, most people bought it because it's a must have game with so much history, it was played and then set aside. Where were those 10mil people online? Nowhere.

I am disapointed the sales are this low (Edit: The News page was just updated and the 2.37 mil. figure is over a year old..), I hope it won't effect the money SONY will allow PD to sink into GT7.

Last edited:
Ok true, but I'm comparing a generational shift, and it's perhaps because GT5 Prolugue and GT5 were released at a time there was no other racing game on PS3. Maybe the vast majority of people who bought GT5 realized it's 'too much' for them and there was no reason to upgrade to GT6 because they were never hardcore racing/car enthusiasts to start with. What's for sure, is that, even with GT5's epic sales, most people bought it because it's a must have game with so much history, it was played and then set aside. Where were those 10mil people online? Nowhere.

I am disapointed the sales are this low (Edit: The News page was just updated and the 2.37 mil. figure is over a year old..), I hope it won't effect the money SONY will allow PD to sink into GT7.

It is because it was released during a time where everybody is jumping ship to next gen, let's not forget the previous generation for consoles lasted for way too long.

Trust me GT7 will sell a lot more.

I wouldn't be concerned for GT7 based on that GT6 sales figure. I think a decent impact was had on sales when GT6 launched in Europe a week after PS4 was released. My PS3 continues to be used exclusively for GT6. A lot of people would simply have moved on to the new console generation.

A popular opinion about GT6 is that it is GT5 with some new cars. Nothing more. That surely had a detrimental impact on the volume of casual GT fans who chose not to purchase it.

If GT7 fails to match Sony's sales forecast then they will have to really ask why has the initial GT on a new generation as successful as PS4 performed below expectations?That is a possible discussion for another time. I do not think Sony, PD and us need to worry.

That sale figure for GT6 is incorrect. Anyway, nope it won't. Excluding GT6, GT has sold 20 million last gen. Its Sony's biggest franchise. I'm sure Sony is also all to aware of how quickly PS3 software sales fell and how quickly PS4 was adopted (on par with the Wii iirc). Now if GT7 sells badly (which I highly doubt is going to happen) then I can see it being problematic.

Yeah it's been update to say that the article is incorrect, but still it's bad regardless maybe 2.5 million, and ask this question how many copies returned?

I'm almost certain half the people who got the game thought after say 3 months like me this is total ********, and just traded in the game.

Haven't been on here in some time, but I've been on the record to showcase games that FAR exceed GT5/6 in any way shape or form so I won't go there, but being realistic if I'm working at PD I don't know if I'd be in panic mode, but I'd tell Kaz STFU about your vision, and you know hell he might suffer from "Feature Creep".

Cause in many ways one reason GT3 was my favorite racing game it got right down to the game no extra BS. GT4 expanded on it, and added things I liked, but GT5 this is where Feature Creep comes in started doing wayyyyyyy too much new.

The only new things to GT4 after GT3 were Photo mode and Dynamic Environments etc.

GT5 had Weather, More Cars, Online(Altogether a beast of it's own), Expanded Photo Mode, Course Maker, and some other things I don't remember.......Damage. Then they redesigned certain things too can't forget that.

Just saying if you go back in time and Kaz just cut down number of cars to like 200 added in Weather and Course Maker for GT5, and left the car count at 6. Say what you want, but we'd be complaining, but it wouldn't be THIS BAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back