Will you go to XBone if Standard cars are officially announced for GT7?

• Thread starter Fat Tyre
  • 414 comments

Will you go to XBone if Standard cars are officially announced for GT7?

• Yes, I had enough of PD. This way I can play Forza and Pcars.

Votes: 29 8.8%
  • No, I am still loyal to Sony. I'll get a PS4 and play Pcars.

Votes: 43 13.0%
  • No, I don't care about Standard cars being in the game. I love GT, will still get GT7 regardless.

Votes: 214 64.7%
  • I would love to go XBone for Forza but its lower performance compared to PS4 is holding me back.

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • No more consoles for me, I will only play on PC from now on.

Votes: 37 11.2%

• Total voters
And regarding Grid AS, shame you let this moron in the video guide your opinion as all he does is point out the minor cons of this game like the basic cockpit view and the lack of a mirror, whilst missing out on the best offline racing versus the AI you can currently get on last gen consoles.

You gotta admit the video is pretty funny though.

See I'm about to tell you what caught my eye, and why I just might purchase this game on PC most likely. It's not just that A.I, but that Helicopter flying around for one thing, and the fact people had their cars at track instead of it being just people, and the leaves kicking up like they did at certain points.

It's just done better in this game is my thing simcade, sim, or arcade if it's racing it's racing no matter what, but that A.I does make you :eek:
Wait till you see the insects flying around in front of your car when you're on the starting grid. You'll be like, "lol wut?"

My 'plan' more or less for the next-gen, is to get a PS4 & P.CARS, then figure out what wheel some time after it's launch (won't be day1, other real-world expenses). Possibly a Playseat Challenge if the funds present themselves.

I keep considering the idea of building a PC for all the other sims available, but there are numerous reasons why the intial investment wouldn't be worth it in my eye for my current living. It'd be my first 'built' PC ever, complete 'noob' status in that regard, add on-top of that an ever-shrinking 'window' of time to play games (Aging, lifestyle changes, see bottom of sig, etc), along with needing new equipment for it (monitor, etc) and I feel that just getting the PS4 would be simpler and a more cost-efficient decision for the coming year.

Perhaps in my 30's, but as of right now & the coming future, I just can't quite justify it.

@Johnnypenso

See I'm about to tell you what caught my eye, and why I just might purchase this game on PC most likely. It's not just that A.I, but that Helicopter flying around for one thing, and the fact people had their cars at track instead of it being just people, and the leaves kicking up like they did at certain points.

It's just done better in this game is my thing simcade, sim, or arcade if it's racing it's racing no matter what, but that A.I does make you :eek:
Exactly, this game is one of the most atmospheric racers ever, especially if you compare it to most racing games that have dull, lifeless tracks. Although it seems he disappeared lately from GTP we should give a shoutout to @anim8r_uk for making it happen. 👍

Ain't the GT5 Premium cars like double the polygon count of Driveclub?
Yep 250,000 for DC and 500,000 for GT5 (roughly), one of the online games sites (I can't recall which) did try claiming that DC was a million, but Evo put that down fairly quickly.

I'm actually very, very impressed with what Evo have managed to do with the lower poly count in DC (not a GT put down - they have worked wonders with the lower poly count).

DRIVECLUB™_20141208233234.jpg
DRIVECLUB™_20141208234048.jpg

22:25...look to the front right of the car:lol:. It's more obvious in game from the cockpit:D

It's beautiful man :( okay I honestly can say I don't know what to say about that. On one hand I'm like that's awesome on the other hand I'm like why the 🤬 is that important.

Still these are the things I mean just good luck to GT in the future it's going to be a bumpy ride for sure.

This is photomode, meant gameplay as Granturismo's photomode isn't actually representive. Driveclub is miles ahead, problem for PD like you mentioned is they'll go for 60 FPS but more development time should erase that disadvantage a bit.
Both have photo mode don't they? I thought you were talking about car detail and I think it is representative of Premium models. Don't see Driveclub being miles ahead in car detail in-game and will talk more about it below.
Yep 250,000 for DC and 500,000 for GT5 (roughly), one of the online games sites (I can't recall which) did try claiming that DC was a million, but Evo put that down fairly quickly.

I'm actually very, very impressed with what Evo have managed to do with the lower poly count in DC (not a GT put down - they have worked wonders with the lower poly count).

View attachment 271151 View attachment 271152
I think that might be due to diminishing returns:

polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consoles.jpeg

GT5 Prologue I think had similar numbers of polygons as Driveclub but from what videos I have seen of Driveclub, it doesn't seem to have that good detail of the headlights / taillights compared to say GT5P. I will be getting the game in a few days time so hopefully can see better how it looks.

I liked how the Gran Turismo 458 Tribute trailer maybe had a glimpse of how models look like with a bit more processing power:

ferrari_458_italia_by_ryumakkuro-d4aor2t.gif
GIF

On something a bit unrelated, smoke effects as well on GT6 seem to be really good considering frame rate and resolution games runs at and seems something very resource intensive. It will be interesting to see how they manage on PS4 as no more Cell CPU but they do have a lot of GPU compute power. Driveclub doesn't seem to manage as good smoke effects even though it runs at 30FPS on quite powerful hardware.

smokex3oxx.gif

UCcb.gif

Both have photo mode don't they? I thought you were talking about car detail and I think it is representative of Premium models. Don't see Driveclub being miles ahead in car detail in-game and will talk more about it below.

I think that might be due to diminishing returns:

polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consoles.jpeg
Good point and quite true.

GT5 Prologue I think had similar numbers of polygons as Driveclub but from what videos I have seen of Driveclub, it doesn't seem to have that good detail of the headlights / taillights compared to say GT5P. I will be getting the game in a few days time so hopefully can see better how it looks.

I liked how the Gran Turismo 458 Tribute trailer maybe had a glimpse of how models look like with a bit more processing power:

I've not checked out the headlights in detail in DC, they are good, but it would make sense that it woudl be an area to remove polys from.

It will be interesting to hear what you think when you get hold of it.

On something a bit unrelated, smoke effects as well on GT6 seem to be really good considering frame rate and resolution games runs at and seems something very resource intensive. It will be interesting to see how they manage on PS4 as no more Cell CPU but they do have a lot of GPU compute power. Driveclub doesn't seem to manage as good smoke effects even though it runs at 30FPS on quite powerful hardware.
I think it may be simply a focus thing. GT went after volume, where as DC looks at the actual particle. I've not checked myself but I have come across members saying that water droplets in the spray have reflection and texture. Certainly the lighting effect off the water in windows and condensation on bodywork is quite stunning.

Driveclub's photomode just adds AA from my understanding, GT's photomode post processing is a lot more than that, won't argue about car detail (premiums are as good as anything if not better, meant how the whole game looks in general especially with the weather update.

this bit may be false but I think I read on gaf that the diminshing return comparison you posted isn't true (or something along the lines of there is more to it)

as for smoke, I've said before Granturismo 6 simulates smoke better than anything I've seen, makes drifting a lot more enjoyable, the problem for PD will be the increased grid size along side 60 FPS, maybe they will make some sacrifices with regard to the background, will be interesting to see how they go with the visuals but one thing for sure, standards have got to go.

Ain't the GT5 Premium cars like double the polygon count of Driveclub? Problem with PD will be needing to run at double the frame rate (Maybe even Quadruple) while still having to beat visuals. Still think PD can do it though. Will be getting Driveclub hopefully by end of this week so finally will be able to see how it looks on screen.

Just saw this picture in GT6 Realistic Thread thread by shmogt, amazing how good GT6 assets can look:

To be fair, using an image that's been edited outside of GT6 is hardly representative. That's overlooking the fact that dimly-lit images have an easier time being passed off as realistic anyways. It's the gaming photography equivalent of "the angles".

That said, a lot of the good shots that come out of GT6 invariably contain Premiums (no surprise there), not Standards. The assets are very good, absolutely, but PD's big advantage on the last-gen was their lighting engine. We're seeing that erode with the new crop of pretty driving games like DC, PCars, and the latest from the system that's in the title of this thread:

F40.jpg

Image by @McLaren

Yum.

We also haven't seen a single thing from PD on the PS4 yet, so it should be interesting to see what they accomplish. They don't really have much of a lead in the assets themselves - not meant as a shot, but it's expected that more and more, CAD info will primarily drive model design for games, meaning at least hypothetically, all competitors will be working from the same bases - but the signs from the PS3 era point to PD having another cracking lighting model.

It's a shame that no amount of of lighting trickery will make Standards look suitable for this generation. I mean that quite literally too, come to think of it: they'll look fine in complete and utter darkness :P.

Was just thinking it would be fun to have a Granturismo 3 remaster, then I realised GT6 is half a PS2 GT game remaster anyway :lol:

Also hurry up PD show us some footage.

PD most likely will fairly soon, but the problem will remain at the end of the day will it be enough?

Images no longer do enough for me even video as well(unless I've played said game) Unless someone like Johnny points out the flies like he did earlier we need some live demo from PD reviewed by unbiased fans honestly.

Lord knows when you get people that breathe GT all the time you'll end up with well something like "Shaping up to be best GT ever made" or "6 things that GT7 needs to surpass Forza(or insert other racing title) etc"

I say that only because of what they're doing to Uncharted 4 right now over on PSu(another site I'm apart of). They tear down UC4 just like I'm certain people will tear down inch by inch of GT7 footage, and saying things which is why I don't pay those type articles attention anymore.

this bit may be false but I think I read on gaf that the diminshing return comparison you posted isn't true (or something along the lines of there is more to it)
There's always more to it, but the larger point is, the closer you get to a game looking like reality, the smaller the increments are between reality and the game. No one mistook games 10 years ago for real life, but we are so close now that any gains are going to be small and only meaningful to a handful of people who blow up pictures of nuts and bolts and water droplets and subject them to forensic analysis. DriveClub looks great to me, Project Cars looks wonderful, GT will look spectacular. Fine. Now how is the gameplay? To differentiate yourself you must bring something to the table in terms of gameplay, replayability, clubs, leagues, racing, driving, cruising, organization, AI etc. etc. etc. The vast majority of complaints about GT don't revolve around graphics but gameplay, undelivered features and bugs, none of which have anything to do with how good it looks.

There's always more to it, but the larger point is, the closer you get to a game looking like reality, the smaller the increments are between reality and the game. No one mistook games 10 years ago for real life, but we are so close now that any gains are going to be small and only meaningful to a handful of people who blow up pictures of nuts and bolts and water droplets and subject them to forensic analysis. DriveClub looks great to me, Project Cars looks wonderful, GT will look spectacular. Fine. Now how is the gameplay? To differentiate yourself you must bring something to the table in terms of gameplay, replayability, clubs, leagues, racing, driving, cruising, organization, AI etc. etc. etc. The vast majority of complaints about GT don't revolve around graphics but gameplay, undelivered features and bugs, none of which have anything to do with how good it looks.

And this is exactly why I couldn't finish GT6 after the graphics the gameplay issues were glaring problem.

As for the bold I'm sorry I'm actually in pain from ROFLMAO!:lol: the way it showed up on my computer I didn't finish the sentence I'm still in pain right now though laughing too much. Also it made me think of all the arguments of extra shiny blade of grass etc. when people refer to next-gen games.

I remember the first time i ever played with a PS1 in a department store in '95 i think. The game was Ridge Racer and i was blown away by how pretty and impressive it looked. I still remember it like that but recently i saw footage of it again and my god does it look chunky now:

We're really spoiled in the graphics department nowadays, even if you look how pretty most PS3 games already are in comparison.

I remember the first time i ever played with a PS1 in a department store in '95 i think. The game was Ridge Racer and i was blown away by how pretty and impressive it looked. I still remember it like that but recently i saw footage of it again and my god does it look chunky now:

We're really spoiled in the graphics department nowadays, even if you look how pretty most PS3 games already are in comparison.

I still own that game, and yes it does look chunky now, but I'll take it over other games in this day and age.

Nothing against realistic racers, but Mario Karts, Ridge Racer, Need for Speed(Some old some new) just hold special place in my heart. I actually call them video games cause at the end of the day I do like the realistic racer, but it's not the same like being behind the wheel of something like Outrun, Ridge Racer, and others.

That might be why I have such an obsession with getting SSR11 back in GT and why I love the other fantasy tracks more than real ones. They feel more video gamey(yeah I said it).

Last edited:

The first couple Ridge Racers were incredibly innovative, especially Rage Racer and R4. Before games like Gran Turismo came about, Namco and Sega were pretty much fully responsible for pushing the racing genre forward on consoles. Today, Ridge Racer is nothing but a punchline, but there was a time when those games were some of the most beautiful on PlayStation. Especially R4, which is probably one of like two or three 32-bit 3D games which still look good today thanks to its beautiful color palette, gouraud shading, and smooth framerate.

While I don't really have a problem with standard cars being in GT7(bumper cam driver), PD will need to change some things if they don't want to become a laughing stock.

1) Bring all of the current standard cars up to at least "semi-premium" level. They don't need to have a cockpit, but at least make the outside indistinguishable from the full premium models. There is also nothing wrong with lowering the car count either as they could cut the list in half and still have more cars than any other game.

2) Use the premium models for duplicates. Currently there are several examples of cars with both premium and standard versions of the same generation, there is no excuse for this other than laziness on PD's part. It really baffles me as it would be an easy way to increase the premium to standard ratio, so why they didn't do this for GT5/6 is something I've always wondered.

Can't we just choose a simple "no" answer without all of the other biased statements? :ouch:

Didn't realize it at first, but this pole is by far, Overwhelmingly biased against GT.

Didn't realize it at first, but this pole is by far, Overwhelmingly biased against GT.
How's that? 2/5 options are pro PD/Sony and one (substandard performance of the XBone) potentially a dig at MS, in a poll about switching consoles because of substandard looking cars.

How's that? 2/5 options are pro PD/Sony and one (substandard performance of the XBone) potentially a dig at MS, in a poll about switching consoles because of substandard looking cars.
The inclusion of other games makes every single option anti-GT, didnt you know that?

EDIT: To add something constructive. I'm not necessarily gone, but I'm defintelly not going to pick this up right away. Will probably wait some time before I even make a decision on what I'm going to do considering the game. There doesnt seem to be an option for that choice.

1. Yes, I had enough of PD. This way I can play Forza and Pcars:
2. No, I am still loyal to Sony. I'll get a PS4 and play Pcars.
3. No, I don't care about Standard cars being in the game. I love GT, will still get GT7 regardless.
4. I would love to go XBone for Forza but its lower performance compared to PS4 is holding me back.
5. No more consoles for me, I will only play on PC from now on.

The ones I didn't bold is the only one that isn't against GT. Now keep in mind this is supposed to be whether you'll go XBone for Forza or get GT7 (PS4) yet the other options are strictly to play something other then GT. Even the option to "loyal to Sony" is suggesting you to play something else other then GT. Now that one answer does look like a swipe at the XBone (which is odd considering its one of the main choices in the question).

All I'm saying is why not a simple yes or no? Why are most of the answers completely aimed at playing something else if the question is solely on whether people will just go to XBone (for Forza I assume) or GT7? Just doesn't look impartial.

Back