Will you keep playing Gran Turismo 7 despite the current controversy?

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 182 comments

Will you keep playing Gran Turismo 7 despite the current controversy?

• Yes

Votes: 267 74.4%
  • No

Votes: 92 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It sucks what they did, but it's no reason to drop the game, at least for me. Maybe it helps for me to have already grinded a bunch of credits when the money was good. Plus I don't much care for 12 or 20 million cars. I want the Mark IV, the Sauber C9, McLaren F1 road and race and whatever else comes along for under 5 mill. Other stuff is extra.
Hey, your Mclaren F1 is now on sale 🤣😘

Yes, except I don’t play it as much as I would like to. At this point I’m mainly bothered about doing the daily workout, and getting gold on all missions and licenses. Occasionally I boot it up to get my driving fix, but the poor in-game economy means that sessions rarely last for long. Very bittersweet experience at the moment, and currently the game itself is largely a mixed bag of mehness in the same way GT Sport was. Not bad enough to make me quit altogether.

Last edited:
After hearing and seeing the complaints in regards to the pricing of the McLaren F1 I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm also starting to wonder if getting an Xbox just for Forza Motorsport later this year would be worth it.

If anything since the game went back online I’ve been playing it more than I was. Just clocked up 400 KMs on my daily workout.

There are still plenty of things I haven’t done yet and I like making my own races. Kart vs Tundra is something I want to do.😛

Despite the bad press over the last few days it hasn’t waived my enthusiasm to play it. The legend cars are something I can’t really see myself bothering with too much even if they make getting credits easier. They’re cool, but I’m more into the common sort of cars (sucker for Camaros) and would rather spend my time and credits on them.

I’m looking guard to the updates with more cars, events etc so even if I stop playing everyday I’ll be playing this game over many months and years that I see fit in between. In it for the long haul.

Last edited:
I'm not going to play until the issues are resolved.
I play for fun, and in it's current state - Gran Turismo 7 isn't fun but a chore.

As it goes with everything in life - risk vs reward; Here the risk part is the time spent and in the case of GT7, in it's current state is just not worth the time - so the reward part isn't adequately proportional to the effort needed.

Last edited:
Not for long as the game economy is souring me on the fun parts of the game, racing cars I’ll never own in real life.

Seeing a 18.5 million credit mclaren f1 is deflating. I’m nowhere near that and they charge $20 for 2 million credits. Who the hell thinks this is fun.

Like why are daily workout rewards so stingy. It’s not fun getting 5k every single time. GT Sport gave a car every day.

I'm hoping that maybe in future updates, they'll have Menu Cafe 40-78 that involves IB/IA Licenese, and maybe 79-89 that involve S License.
That's deep hope, 38 menu for an DLC update :)
I would be happy if there is at least 15 menu, I bet there will be only 10. :)
You could both be "right." There are a number of skips in the Menu books which could be filled in with requirements to race for a number of sports cars, as well as higher level things like supercars, Gr racers and the pricey uniques. But I expect that the economy will be improved instead, with maybe a few more Menus, since it seems that Luca's little car chase isn't all that popular. We might see the return of GT6's sign in bonus of up to 2x credits to keep us coming back daily for at least a bit.

I don't believe this MTX thing is on Kaz. This seems very much a SONY deal, like we saw in GT6, and the money goes into the Playstation Store, not Polyphony. Kaz made sure that there were other options than buying credits or cars in GT6. The payouts were improved a bit, and we got the sign in bonus on top of that, and I believe more payouts. Plus in Sport, you could take a street car "race specced" for Gr racing using the performance unlocks, and get a nice money boost in Arcade custom races. Kaz can't do whatever he wants, as he's an employee of SONY, and Polyphony is owned by them. Sorry to pop a nice conspiracy bubble for some folk, but most of us have no clue how Japanese culture works.

If racing for its own sake isn't fun for some of you, I can see why there are "I'm dome" posts. But for the rest of us, this is still the sweetest Gran Turismo yet. I have so many cars just in the current roster I want to give the "race and tuner mod" treatment to, and push myself to do a few custom liveries for rather than grab some from the Showcase. Most of them aren't that wonderful anyway, but that will change with time too.

Last edited:
Im feeling very discouraged with these new economics. To get a McLaren F1 (which was a 5$ car in Sport) you have to sacrifice either 30 hours of time or 200$ of cash. Its ridiculous considering how much the same car costs in other games. PD didnt put 20x more effort into making the car so why do we have to pay 20x more money for it?
assetto mclaren Snipaste_2022-03-20_13-40-29.png

I'll still play it, but like many others, i'm tired of half-finished games which seems to be the industry standard today regardless of genre. We'll see how the game looks like in a few months, i'm hoping Forza motorsport 8 will be better and more of a complete game.

If they fix Sport mode at least to where it was in Gtsport (bop races) and increase the race payouts I might return every now and then but the days of me putting hundreds of hours into gran turismo are at an end.

I'll never forget what sony/polyphony did with this game, even if we woke up tomorrow and everything was magically fixed.

Reminds me a little of CDPR with the cyberpunk fiasco - even if they keep updating it for years until it becomes the greatest video game in the history of everything they will always have royally screwed us over in the beginning.

If they fix Sport mode at least to where it was in Gtsport (bop races) and increase the race payouts I might return every now and then but the days of me putting hundreds of hours into gran turismo are at an end.

I'll never forget what sony/polyphony did with this game, even if we woke up tomorrow and everything was magically fixed.

Reminds me a little of CDPR with the cyberpunk fiasco - even if they keep updating it for years until it becomes the greatest video game in the history of everything they will always have royally screwed us over in the beginning.
PD and KAz, Sony makes 50 games and nothing remotly as idiotic as what GT has become. I know i play them all.

And dont blame Sonys live games push, Kaz and PD have been seriously screwing up GT from GT5 onwards. 2 decades of PD failuires and Kaz's own insane design choices is why GT7 is what it is.

Last edited:
Not unless they fix the online lobby system i would have spent most of my time hosting races after getting a few nice cars to race but most of the options are missing and the pay outs sucks :(

is anyone still winning in the races thats been changed in last update, im sure in comsumer act and gambling act etc you cannot change a prize etc without prior notice, under trading standards you purchased a product believing it to be as promised, cant change something so they can get you to make more money they previously predicted. UK hov is investigating how you get a refund from playstation etc, you cannot get a refund from a store as there is no problem with the disc its the PD thats changed goal posts. do your research into who is the backers sponsors and shareholders and if you know you know!

I am under the impression that anything bought and is not as advertised or unfit for purpose can be returned and a full refund must be given, for the first 30 days or more it is up to the store you bought it from to offer a refund. You paid them and the contract of sale is between you and them the receipt is holding the stores name and it is easy for them to say you have to take it up with the manufacturer but this is false it is the store who have to by law abide by said law and if it is unfit for purpose or not as described they must refund you, only if the item can be repaired is it sent back to the manufacturer.
I gave my GT7 to my eldest son and he said it was terrible and didn't want it so I contacted Currys customer services and explained the problem it is not as described and the contract is with them, they told me take it back to the store and I did and was met with no refund it is a game so I explained it is not as advertised and they must by law take it back if this is the case, I told them to speak to the customer service department and learn the law, the manager returned 10 minutes later and refunded me in full. He was a genuine good bloke he just didn't know the law sadly.
If you don't want it take it back and ask for a refund and quote the law. I got it off the Blackbeltbarrister on youtube who explains law so well.
Got my £69.99 back.

Last edited:
I'll keep playing at a slower pace than after the release and the café events.

Just trying to gold everything I can (and I'll have to work to be able to) and having fun with some cars of my garage.

I absolutely don't want to grind to get anything, so I'll do with the credits I'll get as a side bonus from my activities in the game. It will be slow.

Tickets may give a good boost from time to time so it is an incentive to get the daily workout.

But I doubt I'll do much more than that.

Yes I'll keep playing it, and wait till PD add more content.
I understand controversy about car prices and credits earned.
But sure it's not needed to go for microtransactions, game is only 2 weeks out, and seems reading some people that they want all cars in 2 days.
It's a game for some years of support and adding content just like what happened to GT sport.
So have all time of the world to get the cars i want during the support of the game.

People complain about internet connection...

Crew 1& 2 need internet connection, Dirt rally 2 career mode need internet connection..
About microtransactions...i don't see people complain as crazy for the "sharks credit cards" of GTA V , a game launched in PS3 and milked trough 3 generations of consoles..and lot of people pay them, just like the microtransactions of GT Sport
Maybe fault of certain people that go for them and make that development studios see it as good option , if nobody buy those microtransactions sure the developers will loose interest in introduce them in games.

Sure, online server maintenance issue during 33 hours was crap....but they made an update and launched it to fix a breaking update (1.7)
So, my "applause" to have fixed it as soon as possible once they seen the big issue.

Meanwhile, I've played some other games..

Hopefully they test now better an update before launch so that server maintenance is as short as really needed , and I'm sure the game will improve with time as GT Sport did.

Last edited:
Yeah, no, sorry, I'm out. I'm going to follow GT7-related news for about a year and see if the situation improves at all but I'm not getting my hopes up. I really hope this situation was specifically enforced by Sony, and PoDi contractually had no option to refuse. I don't want to have a valid reason hate PoDi.

GT7's core gameplay is just as good as I wanted it to be and I loved the -teen hours of driving I did in it, learning it bit by bit in the process. That being said, if there is something I can fully blame Polyphony for, it's how the game is staggeringly inconvenient in navigating through menus; there's no quality-of-life stuff. The wishlist borders on being useless, leaving GT Auto's menus returns me to home screen instead of GT Auto's main menu, it's not possible to fine-tune weather for time trials, the cafe quickly becomes an annoyance since you have to constantly go back and forth between it and other menus with no shortcut button of any sort... The list goes on. I can forgive these flaws because they take nothing away from the core experience - the driving itself.

What I can't look past, however, is being spat in my face when I am trying to get over the already objectively too low race payouts. I wouldn't mind grinding if it was at all rewarding, and this is coming from someone who spent nearly 6'000 hours in Black Desert Online and over 2'000 in Final Fantasy XIV.

I can't emphasize enough that Sony deliberately gave reviewers a game with a more friendly economy, and then flew said economy 40 miles into the ground because they - correctly, of course - counted on the media not correcting their review scores in the process.

My main takeaway from all this? The 10-20 $/€ price hike of current gen games is demonstrably indefensible. There is no discussion here. No story mode (I strongly agree that a racing game easily doesn't need one though, I'm just saying), always online, purposefully insulting economy that nudges me towards microtransactions, and it's a Sony first-party game. The always online aspect makes it so we can't roll back to a previous patch, too. This is a 70/80€ game. What the hell?

I am furious. **** this disgusting, cynically manipulative, predatory industry. Earning a lot of money isn't enough anymore, it's about earning ALL the money, every conceivable penny.

End rant.

50 hours in and I'm still having a ball. I haven't even thought about grinding yet. I'm currently working my way through the Tc800 events with different cars and different strategies... and having fun. My only issue with the game was when I couldn't access it for a day.

As for the price of the unicorns, well, there are around 50-60 cars in my garage that I haven't even driven yet. So I'll focus on them before I bemoan the cars I can't afford yet. There will be higher earning events in the future.

You could both be "right." There are a number of skips in the Menu books which could be filled in with requirements to race for a number of sports cars, as well as higher level things like supercars, Gr racers and the pricey uniques. But I expect that the economy will be improved instead, with maybe a few more Menus, since it seems that Luca's little car chase isn't all that popular. We might see the return of GT6's sign in bonus of up to 2x credits to keep us coming back daily for at least a bit.

I don't believe this MTX thing is on Kaz. This seems very much a SONY deal, like we saw in GT6, and the money goes into the Playstation Store, not Polyphony. Kaz made sure that there were other options than buying credits or cars in GT6. The payouts were improved a bit, and we got the sign in bonus on top of that, and I believe more payouts. Plus in Sport, you could take a street car "race specced" for Gr racing using the performance unlocks, and get a nice money boost in Arcade custom races. Kaz can't do whatever he wants, as he's an employee of SONY, and Polyphony is owned by them. Sorry to pop a nice conspiracy bubble for some folk, but most of us have no clue how Japanese culture works.

If racing for its own sake isn't fun for some of you, I can see why there are "I'm dome" posts. But for the rest of us, this is still the sweetest Gran Turismo yet. I have so many cars just in the current roster I want to give the "race and tuner mod" treatment to, and push myself to do a few custom liveries for rather than grab some from the Showcase. Most of them aren't that wonderful anyway, but that will change with time too.
20$ for 2 million credits is not the real issue bud.

Kaz's idiotic insistence cars mimic real world pricinng (F1 for 18.5M) is the problem coupled with low race payouts.

Every failure mediocrity and missing feature for the past 20 years of GT is the direct responsibality of the out of touch has been in charge.

The Three Legendary Cars Trophy is still an anomaly. It's the last one I need to obtain before getting platinum trophy and I'm not even sure if I'll get it at this point.

gt games are long-life games for me so, yeah
I often don't play more than 3 hrs a day / don't care about collecting cars or trophies

Last edited:
Yes.

A lot of the controversy regarding the cost of cars vs. race rewards seems to be from people expecting instant gratification.

GT Sport was launched in 2016, and most of us were still playing it in 2022. That's 6 years. If you think you should be able to buy a 20 million credit car 2 weeks into the game, then the game will only run for a few months before the only thing left is the Sport mode. If credit rewards are too high, we'd be able to buy any car within days, leaving nothing to work towards.

GT7 is a game that's intended to be played for years to come, so those crazy expensive cars are supposed to be something we can buy months and months down the line. And those crazy expensive cars are, for the majority of the time, useless in actual races!

People need to calm down and learn to be patient, and put in the damned work for the reward.

Last edited:
Yes, until I complete all of the café menus (currently on #36) and eventually get bored. I don't have a wheel that works on the PS5 yet, but if I get one it'll extend my interest in the game. ****** microtransactions + a poor car list + a far better game (Elden Ring) releasing the same time = PD better act quick to keep my interest.

Back