Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
Funny thing for me with the 1803 Update...Any laptop in my house just doesn't update.

It gives the same error everytime:
0x80240034

Every other update installs fine, I tried making an install disk as well but that doesn't work either.

Classic MS. I learned from the last major update (1803) not to bother updating as soon as a new version comes out. I'm still on 1709 and I'm still receiving security fixes so I'll stick with it for as long as possible.

For those who want to delay updates, go to Task Scheduler and disable Update Assistant:
Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > Update Orchestrator > Disable UpdateAssistant & UpdateAssistantCalendarRun
This will nuke the auto updater and only leave you with bug fixes for your current version. Learnt this trick after WU keeps reinstalling Update Assistant even after deleting all traces of its files manually from the C drive.

Classic MS. I learned from the last major update (1803) not to bother updating as soon as a new version comes out. I'm still on 1709 and I'm still receiving security fixes so I'll stick with it for as long as possible.

For those who want to delay updates, go to Task Scheduler and disable Update Assistant:
Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Windows > Update Orchestrator > Disable UpdateAssistant & UpdateAssistantCalendarRun
This will nuke the auto updater and only leave you with bug fixes for your current version. Learnt this trick after WU keeps reinstalling Update Assistant even after deleting all traces of its files manually from the C drive.

I dont see those there. Are you on pro version?

JvM
I dont see those there. Are you on pro version?

No I'm just on W10 Home Version. Are you sure you've gone in the correct directory? The Update Assistant was installed with one of the KB updates (4023057). Just check your list of installed updates and if that KB is listed you should have it. If you don't have it, even better 'cause then you don't need the workaround I posted.

No I'm just on W10 Home Version. Are you sure you've gone in the correct directory? The Update Assistant was installed with one of the KB updates (4023057). Just check your list of installed updates and if that KB is listed you should have it. If you don't have it, even better 'cause then you don't need the workaround I posted.

I don't think there are any other directories with that name. Maybe I don't have that KB then. I would still need some solution to disable the auto update. (maybe setting the connection to a paid from usage -type would do it too)

Although I think they pulled the update from distribution for now too.

The fallout from this update is ridiculous, yet again it shows how great the world of forced updates is.

Also if you look at things like the Windows support and feedback forums it is staffed by foriegn call centres who never acknowledge the issues, never pass on the feedback and just read from a script.

So I just realized that disabling your PIN also disables facial recognition (Surface Pro 4). And setting up facial recognition requires you to also set up a PIN, even if you have an account password or picture password. Why don't they just ask you for your account password instead of a PIN? They do that for plenty other things throughout the Settings app. I'd rather not offer more means than necessary to sign-in, especially when it means using the exact same input method of another option.

I did a clean install a few days ago and didn't bother with this PIN, password and so on. Everybody can use this computer.

So the latest patch Tuesday (9 April) is the last one for those still running W10 Version 1709 (aka me). I can't upgrade to 1803 because that renders stand by mode for my laptop useless (it's as slow as booting from a full restart). And I've read terrible things about 1809 deleting your files. Even if that has been fixed, what are the chances that future updates won't break things again? So I've made a decision to stick with 1709 for now. Fully aware of security issues but I'm not going to run a risk bricking my laptop just because M$ treats its customers as alpha testers.

It might just be my laptop that's dying but ever since KB4493464 Firefox has been struggling.
It can't load pages properly half the time, it just gets stuck loading.

At this rate I'll be going for a Mac next time.

Looks at Mac prices.

Ubuntu?

Looks like I might have to go with Win 7 for my PC build. Didn't know Win 10 had all these issues.

:(

Not trying to discredit others, but I haven't bumped into any real problems in Windows 10, and I started using it a few months after it released (though to be fair, that's probably because I delay feature updates for around three months now - I once updated as soon as a major update released, and it was a mess).

It's certainly not perfect. I don't mind automatic security updates, but forced feature updates are irritating (though it looks like Home users will finally get the option to delay these). The apps that install themselves after each update are also a pain. The slow and painful migration of settings from the Control Panel to the terrible "modern" Settings app is one of my major problems with the OS.

Having said that, despite all of these flaws (some of which can be resolved with the Group Policy Editor/Registry Editor), I'd say that 10 is a better OS overall than 7. It's faster, more secure, and it just feels nicer to use (for me, at least).

Just my 2 cents. I swear I don't work for Microsoft. :lol:

VBR
Looks like I might have to go with Win 7 for my PC build. Didn't know Win 10 had all these issues.
Not trying to discredit others, but I haven't bumped into any real problems in Windows 10, and I started using it a few months after it released (though to be fair, that's probably because I delay feature updates for around three months now - I once updated as soon as a major update released, and it was a mess).
I have had no issues with Win 10 (besides an unrelated problem with my GTX770) and I just install everything whenever it shows up.

Installed and loved b.18875 but I had to revert since it pretty much 'killed' the output to my WMR headset.
I couldn't get anything to display in the headset but a black scree and a cursor arrow.
It wasn't driver related either.
The minute I formatted and went back to Win10 (1809), the display started working normally.
Hopefully Microsoft found a fix in 18885 released today.

Windows 10 is best Windows so far. I don't get why so many people like 7, that was much worse IMO and 8.1 was a sizeable improvement.

Windows 10 is best Windows so far. I don't get why so many people like 7, that was much worse IMO and 8.1 was a sizeable improvement.

Because people want control.

Not, YOU'RE AN IDIOT LET ME UPDATE AND RESTART THE PC WHEN YOU'RE PLAYING GAMES.
This has happened.

Plus what about the Update 1809.
Are regular PC users now the Update testers?
Because how many times was this update recalled and redeployed?

First it was after it was deleting user files
Then after it started to delete compressed folders
Then after it started to activate features you were not meant to have.

What about all the FORCED APPS?
I remove candy crush saga.
Nek minnit, it redownloads.
Why?
Micro-transactions

What about the fact that you cant uninstall some apps like Xbox, cortana, edge?
What about the fact that I cant fully disable Cortana or defender by normal means
What about the fact that in order to disable such things i have to go into the registry.

What about the constant telemetry, disk access?

Sure it is good and improving but until I have control over my OS I will remain on Win7

I have windows 10 on this computer for a few years now – free update from windows 7 – and if I should decide to go back to W7 can I still reinstall W10 again if I don't like W7 for some reason (games not working on W7 is an example)?

I have windows 10 on this computer for a few years now – free update from windows 7 – and if I should decide to go back to W7 can I still reinstall W10 again if I don't like W7 for some reason (games not working on W7 is an example)?

I am almost certain that you can, because when you upgraded to Win 10 the licencing server will have authorised that machine as it would if you had bought a retail copy. The Win 7 and 10 licence both exist for that one machine.

You could install both OS's in dual boot on different partitions to check if Win 7 works the way you want it without wiping your 10 install just yet.

I like Linux Mint way better than Windows 10. But the thing that keeps me from moving is that there are still programs I use which do not work or do not have good alternatives in the Linux world. They also do not run under Crossover/WINE.

I like Linux Mint way better than Windows 10. But the thing that keeps me from moving is that there are still programs I use which do not work or do not have good alternatives in the Linux world. They also do not run under Crossover/WINE.

If you have sufficient resources on the machine you could run Windows with Virtualbox or VMWare. This is a technique I use.

What about the constant telemetry, disk access?

Sure it is good and improving but until I have control over my OS I will remain on Win7

The amount of disk churn on W10 is truly ridiculous. Even doing nothing there are times when disk usage stays at 100% for 10+ minutes. I thought Vista was bad but W10 is just on another level. Seriously, if it weren't for gaming I'd have jumped ship a long time ago.

With W7 end of extended support ending early next year, I wonder what will happen to those still using it en masse like companies and institutions that are not IT savvy. Imagine if a massive bug cripples your whole system just because of a forced update :crazy: IMO we are reaching a point in human history where tech doesn't improve productivity anymore and just creates more problems than it solves, all for the sake of keeping things "fresh" and "updated".

On a side note, despite support ending for 1709 oddly there's another KB update released on April 25 according to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history#Version_1709_(Fall_Creators_Update)). I had to install it manually though as WU doesn't detect it. Weird :odd:

The amount of disk churn on W10 is truly ridiculous. Even doing nothing there are times when disk usage stays at 100% for 10+ minutes. I thought Vista was bad but W10 is just on another level. Seriously, if it weren't for gaming I'd have jumped ship a long time ago.

With W7 end of extended support ending early next year, I wonder what will happen to those still using it en masse like companies and institutions that are not IT savvy. Imagine if a massive bug cripples your whole system just because of a forced update :crazy: IMO we are reaching a point in human history where tech doesn't improve productivity anymore and just creates more problems than it solves, all for the sake of keeping things "fresh" and "updated".

On a side note, despite support ending for 1709 oddly there's another KB update released on April 25 according to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history#Version_1709_(Fall_Creators_Update)). I had to install it manually though as WU doesn't detect it. Weird :odd:

The companies that have the money have already upgraded. The companies that are still using Windows 7 are smaller businesses who will keep using it. I'm sure if you pay Microsoft some extra $$$ they will keep pushing out security updates for awhile.

The companies that have the money have already upgraded. The companies that are still using Windows 7 are smaller businesses who will keep using it. I'm sure if you pay Microsoft some extra $$$ they will keep pushing out security updates for awhile.
But if they pay Microsoft some extra $$$, would it not be more logical to use those extra $$$ to upgrade?

Just a question.

Back