Windows... 10?!?

• Thread starter Xilor
  • 1,473 comments
Not having any mouse trouble but now after this update I can't safely eject a USB device. I keep getting a constant error message that it can't eject because it's in use but it's not. There's nothing running in task master, it could have been sitting idle for a hour or so but it still says it's in use. I tried going into disk management and right clicking on the drive but there's no eject option and it won't let me remove the device because again, it says it's in use. I don't want to have to keep physically pulling it out of the USB port because I've read that could damage the files or the device itself but currently I don't have any choice.

Just saw an additional update and installed it to see if it would fix the issue. Still happening and now, it won't even let me input my pin number to access my computer. Wonderful work the updates are doing for me right now. :rolleyes:

Anyone else on a touchscreen computer having this issue after installing the latest update? I turned on my laptop as I normally do and as its booting up, this is happening:
View attachment 890601

It's made using my mouse annoying. It's not my wireless mouse because it's doing this even with just the touch pad.
I try to move the mouse and it just teleports back to that spot (Hence why this post is being made on my phone and not on my laptop). Erratic scrolling and pressing happens too when I trying to navigate a page or a folder.
Ghost touches are usually a sign of the digitizer (the clear plastic that converts touch signals to actual input) over the LCD going bad. Have you dropped the laptop recently?

Ghost touches are usually a sign of the digitizer (the clear plastic that converts touch signals to actual input) over the LCD going bad. Have you dropped the laptop recently?

Sorry I never answered this. I haven't dropped it at all and never experienced this issue prior to the update.

Since my posts, I've actually managed to fix the issue myself. After some frustrating trial and error, I was finally able to login and find the device manager and turned off the touch screen. No more of those erratic bubbles, phantom scrolling or pressing.

Last edited:
Not strictly relevant to this thread, but given that I've already posted in this thread...

In a last-ditch attempt to save £500 on a new laptop and to get a bit more value out of my iPad Pro, does anyone know if you can connect a mouse to the iPad via one of those dongles you attach to the iPad's lightning port?

The dongles are very expensive and so is the Apple mouse, but I have a voucher that I can use for one or other (probably the dongle) and I already have a wired mouse.

If I can't connect my iPad to a monitor and a mouse at the same time, I'm pretty scuppered for using my iPad to work from home, which would mean forking out a few hundred for a new Windows 10 laptop.

Any tips would be most welcome!

Not strictly relevant to this thread, but given that I've already posted in this thread...

In a last-ditch attempt to save £500 on a new laptop and to get a bit more value out of my iPad Pro, does anyone know if you can connect a mouse to the iPad via one of those dongles you attach to the iPad's lightning port?

The dongles are very expensive and so is the Apple mouse, but I have a voucher that I can use for one or other (probably the dongle) and I already have a wired mouse.

If I can't connect my iPad to a monitor and a mouse at the same time, I'm pretty scuppered for using my iPad to work from home, which would mean forking out a few hundred for a new Windows 10 laptop.

Any tips would be most welcome!
Is this the dongle youre looking at? That paired with one of these should work.

Yes, that's what I was talking about 👍

As it happens, the boss has one already so I asked to borrow it and it does work - but, as usual with Apple, it is not as straightforward as I had hoped.

The good news is that the monitor connection is easy, and the mouse also connects - BUT... I was hoping to use it for connecting remotely to my PC at work. It works perfectly on a laptop, but on the iPad, the mouse shows up as a separate cursor. Unbelievably (but somewhat predictably), you need to effectively grab and move the PC cursor using the Apple cursor... it basically works the same as not having the mouse at all, which is pretty awkward to say the least.

So, the good news is that I can work a bit better than before, but still it is nowhere near as useable as a PC laptop. :sad:

Yes, that's what I was talking about 👍

As it happens, the boss has one already so I asked to borrow it and it does work - but, as usual with Apple, it is not as straightforward as I had hoped.

The good news is that the monitor connection is easy, and the mouse also connects - BUT... I was hoping to use it for connecting remotely to my PC at work. It works perfectly on a laptop, but on the iPad, the mouse shows up as a separate cursor. Unbelievably (but somewhat predictably), you need to effectively grab and move the PC cursor using the Apple cursor... it basically works the same as not having the mouse at all, which is pretty awkward to say the least.

So, the good news is that I can work a bit better than before, but still it is nowhere near as useable as a PC laptop. :sad:
Yee! Yeah, Mac's of any sort are wonky on the enterprise front. Are you VPNing then opening an RDP session? You might be able to use something like this?

Last edited:
Noob question:

HP 15-da0511sa 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HDD (£349)
HP 14-cf1599 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (£479)

Is the price gap worth it for the better processor, SSD and more RAM (but smaller HD and screen)...??

Last edited:
Noob question:

HP 15-da0511sa 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i3, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HDD (£349)
HP 14-cf1599 14" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (£479)

Is the price gap worth it for the better processor, SSD and more RAM (but smaller HD and screen)...??
100% yes. Windows 10 can be painful to use with only 4GB of RAM and a HDD, so it's worth spending the extra money for the SSD and RAM alone.

100% yes. Windows 10 can be painful to use with only 4GB of RAM and a HDD, so it's worth spending the extra money for the SSD and RAM alone.
Cheers, I thought that might be the case.

I actually found a similar HP laptop with i5 and 8GB RAM (plus SSD) for £449, so I've ordered it for collection later today 👍

Thanks for your reply :)

My W10 has developed an interesting symptom.

virtavalikko.jpg

Those are Power settings in the Start menu, Update and Restart as well as Update and Shut down have lost their icons and turned into orange squares. The orange colour seems to be the same as on the dot that is normally displayed next to the actual icon so I'm suspecting perhaps a font issue. Anybody seen anything like this before?

virtavalikko.jpg

Those are Power settings in the Start menu, Update and Restart as well as Update and Shut down have lost their icons and turned into orange squares. The orange colour seems to be the same as on the dot that is normally displayed next to the actual icon so I'm suspecting perhaps a font issue. Anybody seen anything like this before?
Yeah your font either got corrupted or deleted. You should be above to download from Microsoft with all new fonts and overwrite old ones.

virtavalikko.jpg

Type in CMD in the search bar.
Right click the cmd program and select "Run as Administrator"
Then use the following command SFC /SCANNOW
It should repair any corrupted system files or missing system files.

I reinstalled my computer the day before yesterday with the latest W10 version. Everything is well except that windows explorer icon always moves back to the top of the desktop when I start my pc.
I could let it be but I don't want to. I want the Windows explorer icon to stay on the desktop where I put it.
As long as my pc isn't turned on again, it stays at the place where I put it.

Has anyone any idea why it always moves back to the top of the desktop when I start my computer?

Last edited:
I reinstalled my computer the day before yesterday with the latest W10 version. Everything is well except that windows explorer icon always moves back to the top of the desktop when I start my pc.
I could let it be but I don't want to. I want the Windows explorer icon to stay on the desktop where I put it.
As long as my pc isn't turned on again, it stays at the place where I put it.

Has anyone any idea why it always moves back to the top of the desktop when I start my computer?

It's probably the Auto Arrange Icons option - right click the desktop, it's in the View menu

desktop.png

Last edited:
Check to see if any entries in
%userprofile%\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
as well as
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

See if there is anything that will auto arrange the icons.
As you have mentioned that this does happen at start up.

Check to see if any entries in
%userprofile%\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
as well as
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

See if there is anything that will auto arrange the icons.
As you have mentioned that this does happen at start up.
"Windows Explorer" is in the system file .... \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\system\Windows Explorer

I don't see anything special in the registry.

"Windows Explorer" is in the system file .... \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\system\Windows Explorer

What are the explorers arguments on start up, it is odd that you have explorer in the start up folder
Normally this is where program shortcuts go or where you can drop batch files so they can do a thing on start up.

What are the explorers arguments on start up, it is odd that you have explorer in the start up folder
Normally this is where program shortcuts go or where you can drop batch files so they can do a thing on start up.
I want a shortcut icon of windows explorer on my desktop. So I put it first to start and copy it on my desktop. I already removed explorer from the startup folder.

I tried many other things but nothing helps so far. It started after I reinstalled this computer yesterday (clean install with the latest W10).

I want a shortcut icon of windows explorer on my desktop. So I put it first to start and copy it on my desktop. I already removed explorer from the startup folder.

I tried many other things but nothing helps so far. It started after I reinstalled this computer yesterday (clean install with the latest W10).

You shouldn't need a copy or a shortcut to explorer.exe on the desktop.
Explorer auto starts when you log in.

If you kill the explorer process in task manager, you can start it from the task manager by clicking file then run new task.

Last edited:
You should need a copy or a shortcut to explorer.exe on the desktop.
Explorer auto starts when you log in.

If you kill the explorer process in task manager, you can start it from the task manager by clicking file then run new task.
It's a windows thing. Yesterday I reinstalled this computer with a previous version - 1909. Today windows is upgraded to the 20H2 version.

Windows explorer icon stays where I put in version 1090 but moves back to the top of the desktop when I restart the computer in the 20H2 version.

Another day, another new thing I've learned about in Windows 10 that undermines the user's autonomy. Apparently, by default, "Shut Down" does not shut down the computer. It goes into hibernation instead, as a "fast boot" feature -- your choices are sleep, hibernation, and hibernation under a different name!

I found this out because Linux was unable to save a file to my shared "Main" partition. A quick search revealed that Linux was protecting the drive because it is accessible to Windows, and W10 was actually hibernating, not shut down like I specifically told it to do.

Of course, the toggle to turn off "fast boot" is hidden away in the somewhat-labyrinthine new control panel, protected by one of Microsoft's many nagging warnings you have to click just to be able to do something, for something completely innocuous -- completely turning off your computer. :rolleyes:

Another day, another new thing I've learned about in Windows 10 that undermines the user's autonomy. Apparently, by default, "Shut Down" does not shut down the computer. It goes into hibernation instead, as a "fast boot" feature -- your choices are sleep, hibernation, and hibernation under a different name!

I found this out because Linux was unable to save a file to my shared "Main" partition. A quick search revealed that Linux was protecting the drive because it is accessible to Windows, and W10 was actually hibernating, not shut down like I specifically told it to do.

Of course, the toggle to turn off "fast boot" is hidden away in the somewhat-labyrinthine new control panel, protected by one of Microsoft's many nagging warnings you have to click just to be able to do something, for something completely innocuous -- completely turning off your computer. :rolleyes:

This annoying feature was apart on windows 10 since day 1, but it is not known as it is not documented to the user.

Last edited:
This annoying feature was apart on windows 10 since day 1, but it is not known as it is not documented to the user.
I've been avoiding W10 until this new computer. I knew it would drive me up the wall, over the wall, and into the stratosphere -- because Microsoft's ethos over the past several years pushes all the wrong buttons. Today's aggravation involved Microsoft Edge -- again. After my last attempt to prune it away.

So I rebooted into Linux and nuked all Edge files. 🤬 Microsoft's arrogant and self-serving permissions rules. Boy, that is an excellent option to have.

I've been avoiding W10 until this new computer. I knew it would drive me up the wall, over the wall, and into the stratosphere -- because Microsoft's ethos over the past several years pushes all the wrong buttons. Today's aggravation involved Microsoft Edge -- again. After my last attempt to prune it away.

So I rebooted into Linux and nuked all Edge files. 🤬 Microsoft's arrogant and self-serving permissions rules. Boy, that is an excellent option to have.

You can do it without going into linux, just more annoying>
Involves a few uses of Takeown -a

I would also consider doing the same to that annoying cow cortana

Also dont forget the edge files that live in %userprofile%/appdata.

Last edited:
I would also consider doing the same to that annoying cow cortana
I read that Cortana powers the search box in the Start menu; something I got in the habit of using in Windows 7 as a sort of command-line-like launcher for common things like the calculator and Snipping Tool. I really like that feature (Mint Cinnamon's Menu does it too).

I won't typically be in W10 if I'm not playing games, but one day this new laptop will replace my old but functioning laptop as my work computer, which will require Windows for our work software, where such tools get regular use.

Last edited:
I've noticed it on the work computers. After shutting down and booting up the up time in the task manager did not reset. It only did when restarting.

I read that Cortana powers the search box in the Start menu; something I got in the habit of using in Windows 7 as a sort of command-line-like launcher for common things like the calculator and Snipping Tool. I really like that feature (Mint Cinnamon's Menu does it too).

I won't typically be in W10 if I'm not playing games, but one day this new laptop will replace my old but functioning laptop as my work computer, which will require Windows for our work software, where such tools get regular use.

I have removed Cortana on my laptop.
Search still seems to work fine, but I am using Open Shell(classic shells newer versions)

Back