Winless in Over 100 Races

United States
Lancaster, PA
Satomiblood
Yes, I’m that bad. I drive the courses well enough, but it’s a struggle to balance sportsmanship and competitiveness. I cave under pressure, especially when people are tailing. And sometimes, I’m too afraid to overtake. It’s gotten to the point that I just pull off to the side because I anticipate being rammed by a few aggressive drivers. Is anyone else in the same boat, or is winning a race a lot easier than it seems?

Ive gotten to DR B and only won a handful of races. Truth is, unless your GRA or GRS DR good... when you get better you will just be matched with better drivers and you will go back down to the middle of the grid... My theory is that to win on a consistent basis you really have to be one of the alien/ elite drivers

I can't speak for everyone but to me it's relatively easy to win, even in higher ranked matchings. If you struggle with pressure maybe that's something you could work on, become more confident in defending. By what you've said, you've done enough races where you can anticipate when another player is bound to be a bit more aggressive than you think.

What I've found is that its easier to win at night since all the aliens are asleep.

If you don't already, save replays and take some time out to study the ones where you felt you were strong and those you didn't - try and pick out the areas where you feel you need to work at it a bit more and/or where you're really good. It all comes with practice my friend. Hope I'm at least somewhat helpful. :cheers:

I can't speak for everyone but to me it's relatively easy to win, even in higher ranked matchings. If you struggle with pressure maybe that's something you could work on, become more confident in defending. By what you've said, you've done enough races where you can anticipate when another player is bound to be a bit more aggressive than you think.

What I've found is that its easier to win at night since all the aliens are asleep.

If you don't already, save replays and take some time out to study the ones where you felt you were strong and those you didn't - try and pick out the areas where you feel you need to work at it a bit more and/or where you're really good. It all comes with practice my friend. Hope I'm at least somewhat helpful. :cheers:

I’ve started saving replays recently. The main issue seems to be how I take turns. I lose a lot of speed and can’t seem to glide right in like a lot of other drivers. I can’t separate myself from trailing cars. Soon enough, they’re already on my tail again. And that’s another thing: I see cars wreck and get yellow flagged, but they’re able to pick up the pace as if nothing happened.

Matchmaking is better at lower SR, it's already a lot better at low SR.S just above SR.A. With my qualifying time today at Nurb 24h, SR at 85 put me in 2nd place while SR at 99 puts me at 14th place. Most of my wins come from getting demoted in SR first, which will happen naturally when you stop backing down. People will still run into you, yet the system rewards you for getting hit...

Winning at max SR is very hard as you will get matched with top 10 drivers or any of the faster drivers that can't find a full room at their level. It's easy to reach and maintain max SR when you get placed on pole in a room full of slower players, hence when you get to max SR you get used as grid filler by the matchmaking system.

When you're DR.B nothing wrong with being SR.B as well. That removes most of the DR.A and DR.S players from 'invading' the DR.B matches.

Don't be afraid to get hit, anticipate it so you don't lose control, and a red ranking at the end only puts you towards better matchmaking grounds. Just don't go below SR.B Never been there yet have heard stories :)

I’ve started saving replays recently. The main issue seems to be how I take turns. I lose a lot of speed and can’t seem to glide right in like a lot of other drivers. I can’t separate myself from trailing cars. Soon enough, they’re already on my tail again. And that’s another thing: I see cars wreck and get yellow flagged, but they’re able to pick up the pace as if nothing happened.
What's extremely important is that you know where you're falling down. My best advise (and I probably echo just about everyone here) is literally just to to take some time out and practice. Try braking a little bit later. Look up "trail braking" if you haven't - learning how to use that absolutely helps with speed through the corners. Learn where the best apexes are, where the best turn in points are etc. Like I said, its the most over used advise but there is a reason. What I find a lot of people do is compare themselves to aliens (I am guilty of this lol) which is a bit silly. Try finding some guys in the races to befriend so that you can see their times instead of just the top 10. Once you start beating them consistently try and find some faster guys to befriend etc. All I can really say in a nutshell is hammer home the point of "practice makes perfect". :)

Matchmaking is better at lower SR, it's already a lot better at low SR.S just above SR.A. With my qualifying time today at Nurb 24h, SR at 85 put me in 2nd place while SR at 99 puts me at 14th place. Most of my wins come from getting demoted in SR first, which will happen naturally when you stop backing down. People will still run into you, yet the system rewards you for getting hit...

Winning at max SR is very hard as you will get matched with top 10 drivers or any of the faster drivers that can't find a full room at their level. It's easy to reach and maintain max SR when you get placed on pole in a room full of slower players, hence when you get to max SR you get used as grid filler by the matchmaking system.

When you're DR.B nothing wrong with being SR.B as well. That removes most of the DR.A and DR.S players from 'invading' the DR.B matches.

Don't be afraid to get hit, anticipate it so you don't lose control, and a red ranking at the end only puts you towards better matchmaking grounds. Just don't go below SR.B Never been there yet have heard stories :)

Oh, I’ve been there. I seem like the only sane driver sometimes.

Sorry for double post, but in my personal experience and lots of hearsay - SR matchmaking tends be a massive game of luck. I've found next to no issues running at SR 99. The game will always matchmake you based on DR and Q time first, then take SR into account - as far as I know anyway so don't quote me on that.

Yes, I’m that bad. I drive the courses well enough, but it’s a struggle to balance sportsmanship and competitiveness. I cave under pressure, especially when people are tailing. And sometimes, I’m too afraid to overtake. It’s gotten to the point that I just pull off to the side because I anticipate being rammed by a few aggressive drivers. Is anyone else in the same boat, or is winning a race a lot easier than it seems?

I won't lie I depend on people making mistakes when I put the pressure on them cleanly I might add. I'm looking for that one little or big mistake so I can make my move past them.
It's something you and alot of people struggle with so don't feel to bad.
You have to focus on your driving being smooth and hitting your lines. Once your at a level that you know the person behind you is not going to hit you or take you out you will become better at it.

If you have friends that play the game setup a private lobby and practice racing close and being followed close. This should help you to overcome some of that fear.

I won't lie I depend on people making mistakes when I put the pressure on them cleanly I might add. I'm looking for that one little or big mistake so I can make my move past them.
You have to focus on your driving being smooth and hitting your lines. Once your at a level that you know the person behind you is not going to hit you or take you out you will become better at it.

If you have friends that play the game setup a private lobby and practice racing close and being followed close. This should help you to overcome some of that fear.
^ Explained it better than myself.

Sorry for double post, but in my personal experience and lots of hearsay - SR matchmaking tends be a massive game of luck. I've found next to no issues running at SR 99. The game will always matchmake you based on DR and Q time first, then take SR into account - as far as I know anyway so don't quote me on that.

Luck, time of day, interest in a particular race all play a big role indeed. Yet with over 900 sport races, the pattern of B/S being the hardest place to win races is very real. I shot up from B/S to now A/S after getting dropped to SR.B on a Bluemoon day. There it remains steady until my SR drops again and I move a bit further up in DR.

Matchmaking at max SR.S (99/99) does work now and then in prime time, yet the majority of the time there are one or more aliens up front. Usually also someone with the grip bug, yet that has luckily been fixed.

You don't want to be D/S, that's a recipe for disaster. When I was B/S I always got in rooms from S/S all the way down to D/S. The game matches on SR first, DR second, qualifying time third. The rooms I had where SR varied between players have been less than 1%, and DR still varied more in those.

Anyway here's a table where you can see what matchmaking has to work with
http://www.jasonguernsey.net/gts/Drivers-By/Driver-Rating

Having someone behind you makes you worry. Worrying will cause mistakes, slower lap times, and losing positions. You can't win because that would mean everyone else is behind you and your stress level is too high to drive well. This is a horrible loop to be in for racing.

You need to work on confidence and changing your thought patterns. If someone is behind you, that means you did something right! (Unless you bumped them to make a pass, but I don't think that's your issue.) You deserve to be in the position you are in and have every right to fight to keep it and move up.

Practice the things that you are afraid of! Learn how to defend properly and understand the difference between clean defense and blocking or cutting people off. Practice taking the inside line and leaving room on the outside. Of course you will be passed sometimes, but that's racing.

It's racing, you're supposed to try to pass people! Go for passes when you see an opportunity and create opportunities when you don't see them. When setting up a pass, find the point that you must either commit or back out. Once you make your decision, don't hesitate or doubt yourself. Believe that you made the best choice you could at that moment.

It's just a game, don't worry about your ranking. That will work itself out. Sorry to sound hokey, but once you get the confidence and racing mindset, wins will come.

I find myself putting in more time doing qualifying laps rather than racing, at least until I post a time I’m satisfied with. I can usually set a time anywhere between 1-2 seconds behind the top 10 guys depending on the track and at my current B-S ratings typically nets me a position somewhere in the top 5. Once you’re away from the mid pack carnage, it’s much easier to find yourself competing for a podium spot by the end.

Just my .02¢

How long are you spending qualifying?
Sticking in a couple of laps in the 5-10 minutes before the next race isn’t enough.
As someone else said, you need to know the track and corners inside out. Get to the point of lapping consistently without a bing to think about if.
Look at the top 10 times, aim to get a couple of seconds off it. I’d you are going as fast as you possibly think but are not within a couple of seconds then you are not going as fast as you could.
Think about each corner and how differently you could take it.
Did I really need to change down two gears or wouldobe have been enough?
Did I really need to brake, or would just lifting off or changing down a gear have been better?
Once you get to that point you will start getting higher grid places, and therefore a better chance of winning.
People are naturally better at some track/car combinations than others. If one is something you struggle with then don’t enter it, there’s no point doing something you don’t enjoy.
Basically, practice, practice, and more practice :)

Nothing like giving someone a love tap to tell someone you're there

Pick your battles. One track/race for one night. Hotlap until you think you can't possibly beat your time.

That's what I do and I got 22 wins from 165 races. I'm B/A now (on the verge of A/A).

Ive gotten to DR B and only won a handful of races. Truth is, unless your GRA or GRS DR good... when you get better you will just be matched with better drivers and you will go back down to the middle of the grid... My theory is that to win on a consistent basis you really have to be one of the alien/ elite drivers

I went through a barren period, but I'm now at my highest DR since I started laying and won 3 races in the past week. They key is to starting in pole... if you start out front then get away from the chaos behind, you have a much higher chance of winning. Of course, to start in pole you have to spend a lot of time getting a a good qualifying time, which also helps with getting to know the track.

Also, not pitting on the long races can be a huge advantage...

EDIT: I was stuck on 3 victories for aaaages, but have had 3 in the past week and 15 in total (320ish races)

Last edited:
I'm a fairly late-comer to the game so I'm only sitting on 8 wins from 56 races; but if you want to win more often (assuming you're competent to begin with) I'd recommend NOT qualifying at 100% of your pace, super maxed out, full commitment - because you will not be able to consistently lap at that time.

I often race just to race, so I don't tend to bother with qualifying. I might do 1 lap, but I make sure I set a time that I can consistently hit +/-0.1 pretty much every lap.
Most other drivers in your race won't be able to consistently get within 1 second of their quali time, so assuming you're able to drive consistently you'll have a lot more pace than those around you.

I can start 10-15th and still have a good chance of taking the win so long as the race is >3 laps and I don't get taken out early, plus you have a great race through the pack anyway!

As others have said, stick to the same race/car combination for your session, and your quali time will naturally improve anyway, but this method ensures it improves in sync with your overall pace, not a freak one-off that you can't replicate.

Main thing is to just enjoy the race, and accept you won't win every event you enter :)

Back