Winless in Over 100 Races

Couldnt help notice that none where driving the Bugatti car , that`s a little weird , as its the fastest car you can use , look at the top 10 guys ;)

I believe the 1st place finisher in the second video I posted was driving a Bugatti. Unless I’m confusing it with another race.

Last edited:
Couldnt help notice that none where driving the Bugatti car , that`s a little weird , as its the fastest car you can use , look at the top 10 guys ;)

I tried, didn't go well. It's fast but you need to brake earlier than the Mazda and Porsche, I kept getting punted at the chicane every freaking time. So even though it's a great qualifier, too dangerous to race in a pack. Gr.1 should just be one make races for safety.

I tried, didn't go well. It's fast but you need to brake earlier than the Mazda and Porsche, I kept getting punted at the chicane every freaking time. So even though it's a great qualifier, too dangerous to race in a pack. Gr.1 should just be one make races for safety.

It got more grip than you would think , I didnt use the brake much when I had a go in it

I haven’t driven too many of the Gr. 1s, but the Peugeot L750R HYbrid VGT 2017 is an early favorite of mine. It’s very responsive and has given me a puncher’s chance in a lot of races so far.

1. Choose one track, and practice. You want a track that you can set a consistent time on, a fast time but not a qualifying hotlap, without any stress. Something that you almost forget you are driving on, and you look at the screen and go OH, I just did 20 laps and they are all within 1 second of each other! Something that you could do while people are trying to talk to you, or there is lots of stuff happening in the room. The goal is to automatize the actions - including your motor control, cognitive/perceptual processing, and physiological arousal. Non-jargon: to be relaxed as possible engaging with the task.

My first win was Yama. In a Scirocco (yes, the shame of it). I drove around and around that stinking track until it was in my dreams, Then I watched some youtube videos and in game replays, checked out what other players were doing (in the same car). Then I triedtim to improve specific corners/sections while doing full laps. Eventually I was able to join-up all the sectors and consistently do some, what I thought, were more competitibve laps. More importantly, I could do this without stress. This is important, and a learned skill, as I will mention later.

Personally, I think this is the most important point you make, although all your points are good. Nothing beats practice. The problem that a lot of people have with getting enough practice is the monotony. The uncomfortable truth is that unless you're an alien, you will have to grind really hard in order to finish at the top of online races. I've reached the point where I don't even want to look at a Gr.3 or a Gr.4 car, much less drive around in one. I made another thread about how I've started farting around in exotic supercars on the Nürburgring 24h just for fun and I have to say it's been really enjoyable. It occurs to me that this could be a good way to help reduce the stress of racing online. It reminds me not to take the game too seriously.

Since getting to B/S I've just become cannon fodder for all the S/S and A/S peeps on the Japan/Australia servers, never qualify higher than 12th....... when I had my SR at B had a lot more competitive races because my start position was mid table or upper end, then it was also easier to race for a win.......

I know exactly how you feel. I was a B/S driver getting kicked around by A/S and S/S drivers for weeks. You just have to embrace the suck and keeping grinding. Eventually, you will get over the hump and starting finishing near the top. But you also have to ask yourself if it's worth the stress and time commitment needed to get there.

Yes, I’m that bad. I drive the courses well enough, but it’s a struggle to balance sportsmanship and competitiveness. I cave under pressure, especially when people are tailing. And sometimes, I’m too afraid to overtake. It’s gotten to the point that I just pull off to the side because I anticipate being rammed by a few aggressive drivers. Is anyone else in the same boat, or is winning a race a lot easier than it seems?
It's ok if you got rammed. The main point is you can control your car even if you are slower. There's no point if you are faster but you can't control it so that you hit another car you are overtaking. Practicing againts AI in custom race will help you much, time trial too.

I'm winless in 66 races, DR "C" and SR "S" with one fastest lap and one pole and I think I have two 2nd place finishes (both of which I led for a few laps). I'm still getting screwed by the occasional hit from behind while braking or turning into someone who dive bombed the inside of a corner just as I start turning in. At least I'm not getting assessed bogus time penalties any more, but being knocked deep into the gravel (and without an auto reset to track) can eat a lot of clock. Most of the devastating setbacks have occurred half way into a race (as was the case in one of the FIA races yesterday...was closing in on 4th when the 6th place car put me in the dirt). And I've noticed people seem to start driving a lot more aggressively on the second to final lap (became a ping pong between cars in one race).

I'd spend more time qualifying if I had more time to do so. I'm lucky if I have enough time each day to earn my driving marathon...

That's rough. My strategy for avoiding being hit has been to focus more on my positioning during a race. Most drivers just assume they have to stick to the "optimal" racing line they were following during the time trial, but I've found that sometimes it's better to deviate from the optimal racing line in order to maintain a stronger position relative to other drivers. Most of the time, this will cause you to be slightly slower than you would be had you taken the optimal racing line, but it's worth it if it keeps the other driver from ramming or nudging you into no-man's land.

Just as an example, when I'm approaching the end of a long straightaway (the place where most collisions occur), I take a quick look behind me to see where the other cars are. If I have a strong feeling I'm going to get rammed, then I move to the other side of the track. This helps for three reasons:

(1) You will not be directly in front of them when everyone reaches the perilous breaking point. If they fail to break soon enough, they will fly right past you, either off the track or into another driver.

(2) If they make the turn successfully, then any engagement you have with them going into the turn will be at much lower speeds, giving them more time to react and avoid a crash.

(3) You will probably have the inside position going into the turn, which is generally a stronger position than being on the outside. If they run into you going into the apex instead of the breaking point, you will have a better chance to absorb the blow and keep driving.

I've also found that a little bit of "blocking" is perfectly fine. A lot of drivers seem to be under the impression that any movement into their current path is "blocking" and against driver etiquette. This isn't technically true. If someone is about to make a "clean pass" and you swerve into their path, that is blocking. But subtly positioning yourself in front of someone who is trying to squeeze into your driving line or take a turn too aggressively is not blocking. If you are in front of someone, then that usually means you've earned your position. You don't have to just meekly move aside for anyone trying to shove or shoot their way past you. It's okay to use your superior positioning (in front) to prevent a driver from coming into a turn like he owns it. In other words, it's perfectly okay to make the drivers BEHIND you earn their pass.

No, it's just the correlation between being fast and having a lot of DR points.

I race a fairly small group of S/S drivers on a regular basis - these are the same drivers I've been racing since very early in the game, and who have moved up the rankings at a similar rate. They have c.60k+ DR points, which is pretty rare.

The drivers dropped in to the races with no Q times are A/S, not S/S.

The pool of AS and SS is really small. It's less than one percent of all drivers, if I recall correctly. So even if an AS driver with no Q time is dropped into one of your races, it could just mean the pool of available drivers was too small to find a more appropriate driver for that spot. Because if Q time doesn't matter at all, then I have a hard time explaining why the distribution of Q times tends to fall within a pretty narrow range. And I don't think it can be explained entirely by a correlation between Q times and DR ratings, since that correlation is probably not perfect. Of course, PD could simply explain how this works so that we wouldn't have to keep guessing at it, but that would make too much sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

The problem is that people don't look at other people, only their own braking points etc. You need to consider the car you are following and its braking point in judging you own. Most cant do that.

Back