WipEout HD/Fury

• Thread starter Havok_
  • 849 comments
Feisar was/still is my weapon of choice for all of the hardest races... it just seems to have that perfect combination of speed, handling and toughness to survive the Elite difficulty races in Phantom class that other ships can't match.

All ships can navigate the toughest tracks, it's just a question of timely airbraking and sideshifting. :sly: Although certainly, if you're doing a bastard of a track like Modesto Heights Reverse or Sebenco Climb Reverse, a nimbler ship does help. :lol:

Ifo someone wants to know the whole history of wipeout teams then here it is :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e4mDhaxj_M">YouTube Link</a>

Hellfire's an admin over at the WipeoutZone forums, he did a bloody good job with that vid.

Yes he did.

Anyway, what controller you guys prefer for older wipeout's. Classic digital pad or maybe NegCon. Does anyone even bother to play with it ?

...Although certainly, if you're doing a bastard of a track like Modesto Heights Reverse or Sebenco Climb Reverse, a nimbler ship does help. :lol:
I actually prefer Sebenco reverse to forward - something just clicked when I first tackled that version of the track.

I actually prefer Sebenco reverse to forward - something just clicked when I first tackled that version of the track.

Well I did hundreds and hundreds of laps of the forward variant on Pure (and I hold the 4th spot on the WipeoutZone leaderboards for that track... So that's like 4th in the world right? :P), so Forward just seems so natural to me, it flows nicely. Reverse is a bit... more hectic, the hairpins have worse approaches, and so does the massive banked turn up the hill, it's completely blind.

BTW, do you go by DreamyElf over at the WipeoutZone forums?

Sorry for the late reply - no, that's not me unfortunately :) Nice paradoxical version though.

I actually wish to retract my earlier comment about the physics being based on the real stuff :sly: well, they are but the game is somewhat elastic about how this gets implemented at times.

Having just experienced a bomb detonation triggered by a racer behind me - whilst it destroyed them the explosion pulled me back...

I've often suspected weird happenings in this game but due to the hectic nature of battles on Phantom, it isn't always easy to say exactly when, a particular thing happened, or how.

Sorry for the late reply - no, that's not me unfortunately :) Nice paradoxical version though.

I actually wish to retract my earlier comment about the physics being based on the real stuff :sly: well, they are but the game is somewhat elastic about how this gets implemented at times.

Having just experienced a bomb detonation triggered by a racer behind me - whilst it destroyed them the explosion pulled me back...

I've often suspected weird happenings in this game but due to the hectic nature of battles on Phantom, it isn't always easy to say exactly when, a particular thing happened, or how.

Speaking of the physics, sticky walls anyone? :P You grind against it, it slows you down so much it's not feasible in reality, plus the wall doesn't want to let you go. :lol:

Son of a...

XhF1B2il.jpg

30 milliseconds off the Beat Zico time. :irked:

:lol:

I just stopped that lap to take the picture. I did 5 barrel rolls and I still couldn't beat him...

It's all down to patience man, took me at least 35 laps to get it, and that was when I had played for like a year solid.

I miss the WipEout days. :(

Finally beat it! Turns out I was taking the final corner (just before the overpass) too wide. I cut it down so I was barely scraping and got a 30.71. :D

I will never beat Zico. In fact there are loads of trophies in Wipeout HD/Fury I'll never, ever get... Maybe if I was ten years younger, but not with the reflexes I have now. No way.

I will never beat Zico. In fact there are loads of trophies in Wipeout HD/Fury I'll never, ever get... Maybe if I was ten years younger, but not with the reflexes I have now. No way.
I gave up trying to get the Platinum, but I was pretty close - I got Beat Zico, but it took a very long time, but I was convinced that the Zen trophy was not going to happen... IIRC, I managed to get to Level 71 once, but it was very time consuming and I wasn't especially enjoying it. It is called 'Zen' for a reason, and it involves being totally relaxed... but the closer you get to the target, the harder it gets to remain in the Zen-like state required to complete the trophy, and I was finding that nigh on impossible to do... the more you think about it, the harder it got. Anyway, at least I now know that it probably is within my grasp, but I don't have the inclination to devote many more hours to the game in order to get myself back up to that level. Compared to the Zen trophies, the others are relatively easy, although Zico was very challenging.

I gave up trying to get the Platinum, but I was pretty close - I got Beat Zico, but it took a very long time, but I was convinced that the Zen trophy was not going to happen... IIRC, I managed to get to Level 71 once, but it was very time consuming and I wasn't especially enjoying it. It is called 'Zen' for a reason, and it involves being totally relaxed... but the closer you get to the target, the harder it gets to remain in the Zen-like state required to complete the trophy, and I was finding that nigh on impossible to do... the more you think about it, the harder it got. Anyway, at least I now know that it probably is within my grasp, but I don't have the inclination to devote many more hours to the game in order to get myself back up to that level. Compared to the Zen trophies, the others are relatively easy, although Zico was very challenging.

I think I got into the 70's once as well, that was pretty tough and may even rank amongst my greatest gaming achievements, but after I crashed out of that particular run of Zone I just never bothered with it again. Airbraker (if that's what it's called, doing 20(?) zones with airbrakes only) is another I'll never be able to do. I just don't have the dexterity for it.

Crikey, you can tell how long it is since I played... it's not called 'Zen' at all, but 'Zone Zeus' :dunce: (You do reach a speed called 'Zen' though :P)

I don't recall having too much difficulty with the Airbraker one - you just need to find the right track to do it on.

I think I got into the 70's once as well, that was pretty tough and may even rank amongst my greatest gaming achievements, but after I crashed out of that particular run of Zone I just never bothered with it again. Airbraker (if that's what it's called, doing 20(?) zones with airbrakes only) is another I'll never be able to do. I just don't have the dexterity for it.
On some maps I actually find it easier to go air-brakes only. IIRC I got to Zone 60-something using only air-brakes. :lol:

Mega-bump, but is anyone up for a few games tomorrow? I was playing today and it's as awesome as ever. :D

I'm awful at Wipeout and remembering to do things, so I'm probably out but I'll try to remember to check this thread and see what's happening.

Will the time trials be ship limited or are you just going to name a track each two weeks? :)

Latest Posts

Back