WipEout HD/Fury

• Thread starter Havok_
  • 849 comments
I got lapped everytime, but whatever I need to practice again to get to your skill level guys, and I have to reinstall the game too. But thanks for the entertainment and fun.

Phantom is cool but I can't really keep up with the corner speed because my R2 is iffy.

Got something pretty funny for everyone. Back in 2012 when I was right in the thick of the HD Fury community, me and some guys from the WipEout Zone forum wrote up a dossier on the teams and the type of pilots you encountered online who mained each. It's pretty funny. 👍 :lol:

AG-SYSTEMS

Vast majority of pilots use this. Mostly as an all-rounder good ship.
Fast, efficient pilots who are in it for fun.

Good Natured Pilots

Adrenaline Junkies who push it to the limit but like a bit of security

“The Nice guys of the AG-League.”

Example Pilots: Tiduch, ACE-FLO

FEISAR

Feisars are used by pros to keep nice and tight

However, there is a large range of skill levels within FEISAR

Pros seem to use them because there isn’t “Ship Gimmicks”, it’s a straight up AG-Ship with a Straight up purpose

New pilots use them for the safety they provide when learning the robes, said safety is still appreciated by pros too.

A general rule is that they're not as sociable as AG-S pilots, Happy to help but not as out-going to give it. They want to race, and that’s it. No standing out for other reasons

Conversely, there are a few “Bad Boy” pilots who stand out for reasons not as kosher as simply piloting

“Alll very fast, but perhaps unsure of themselves, not willing to risk stability for speed. Hence why they opt for the best handling ship on the circuit.”

AURICOM

You honestly don’t see too much of this ship

Dying breed...too bulky, too loud on the track in a age of small, long nimble ships

Arguable it’s a prestigious relic for older fans of the game, more of a status symbol to be piloting one than actually reaping benefits with it.

Attracts a self-centered and arrogant sub-division of the older fan base too.

“If finances relied on usage, they would be in BIG danger.”

QIREX

It gets a bad rep from a lot of 'pro' pilots, particularly those fond of aerial tricks

Has a focus on old, hard, fast aggressive piloting. Uncompromising in the corners.

Pilots have a general bitterness and refusal to take on new pilots.

Pilots in general at good at holding grudges and chasing them. In a nut-shell they can be described as personable but with dark centres.

“A very no-frills approach to racing.”

PIRANHA.A

Piranha is another one of the dying breeds, it lures in pilots with it's speed stat but the tank like nature of the ship scares off many

The remaining pilots are the ones who want to pride themselves in controlling a ship that is pretty much uncontrollable at a certain level

The Beat Zico challenge brings in a lot of new pilots getting used to the Piranha

Very few pro pilots touch the Piranha, AndyBob occasionally does

Not a main choice at all, maybe a back-up but no one is really a dedicated Piranha pilot

Became a very beginner-oriented ship

“fodder for Hipsters who can’t handle the Icarus at slower speeds”

ASSEGAI

Assegai pilots are the ones that try to be the nicest but usually get the most 🤬

Ship feels very akin to a single-nose ship - maneuverable and Beautifully balanced for a double pronged ship

...The kick in the balls is it’s Fragile figure, it even looks anorexic

Tends to be flown by more world-weary pilots. They know they're flying to their death

...But they don't care, So not much rage - Totally care-free

It has a large but sound fanbase. Rather than shouting their allegiance, they tend to whisper it. Can be considered a hidden online movement. Unlike their noisy neighbours over at Icari towers.

“The Illuminati”

ICARUS

Icarus pilots tend to be very elite...but they know it. It’s the “Big daddy ship”

They want to protect their reputations. So they don't race much, and when they do they blame a lot of other factors for poor performance(such as Weps, lag bashing etc.) but let’s not beat around the bush here...these guys are rocket fast.

the Ica is a savage beast..it can chop up one's reputation and spit on it...on the other hand...it can make someone's reputation.

The level of respect for a Icari pilot at Phantom is pretty damn high in the eyes of fellow pilots.

“Fast and Loud”

GOTEKI 45

Houses all the old names who've been through it all but just don't have time to lavish so much on it any more

They can be seen as the Heavy ship of yore and this is the reason the old names love it

However, most of it’s pilots love staying out in front, precisely why this heavy ship is accompanied by a large thrust rating

Stunning looks make it the pilot who wants to flaunt’s first choice

Not appreciated by pilots of the lighter vicinity though

Always a nice natured pilot at the helm of this ship.

“Give the pilot some respect...they deserve it.”

TRIAKIS

There is roughly one single main Triakis user in the entire galaxy

Australian and highly militarised - EXPLAINS BOTH SAID PILOT AND SAID SHIP

Pulse and HD ships are some of the worst in the business. The fury ship is another matter

The pilots have a deep-seated hatred of other people on track, hence why they bring out the tank

The camo is rumoured to bring out rage you could only imagine of having...

“The destroyer of universes.”

HARIMAU

Harimau pilots THINK they are up in the elite territory...But they're not as skilled as other pilots

Benchmark between AVERAGE and PRO

Harimau pilots have a great tendency to complain and whine

It has a stat combination that looks as though it will be a tough ship to deal with but in reality...it just glorifies aspiring pilots.

But this explodes rather spectacularly as the fanrage comes tumbling down on you

Harimau Pilots favorite Quotes include such hits as - “OMG WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME” , “SUCH BAD LAG”, “I GET RAMMED 2 DEATH BEFORE 1ST CORNER”

“Harimau users are basically like Assegai users but more complainy”

EG-X

Are you Hipster enough to want a ship with no benefits whatsoever? You are looking at the right ship Mr. Thick Glasses.

It’s also Ugly as sin.

“Who the 🤬 cares.”

MIRAGE

It’s not the ship mirage have that makes it special. It’s the pilots themselves. The pilot pool this team posses is pure talent with a side of talent served with some cold ice talent and talent sauce...get it?

It’s Icarus for people who don’t need to over-compensate.

The ship itself is pretty bland - and incredibly ugly

It’s average as hell. Even more so than FEISAR. You can rely on this badboy but don’t expect any performance enhancers.

“A team with pilots to die for. ‘Nuff said.”

Last edited:
Got something pretty funny for everyone. Back in 2012 when I was right in the thick of the HD Fury community, me and some guys from the WipEout Zone forum wrote up a dossier on the teams and the type of pilots you encountered online who mained each. It's pretty funny. 👍 :lol:

AG-SYSTEMS

Vast majority of pilots use this. Mostly as an all-rounder good ship.
Fast, efficient pilots who are in it for fun.

Good Natured Pilots

Adrenaline Junkies who push it to the limit but like a bit of security

“The Nice guys of the AG-League.”

Example Pilots: Tiduch, ACE-FLO

FEISAR

Feisars are used by pros to keep nice and tight

However, there is a large range of skill levels within FEISAR

Pros seem to use them because there isn’t “Ship Gimmicks”, it’s a straight up AG-Ship with a Straight up purpose

New pilots use them for the safety they provide when learning the robes, said safety is still appreciated by pros too.

A general rule is that they're not as sociable as AG-S pilots, Happy to help but not as out-going to give it. They want to race, and that’s it. No standing out for other reasons

Conversely, there are a few “Bad Boy” pilots who stand out for reasons not as kosher as simply piloting

“Alll very fast, but perhaps unsure of themselves, not willing to risk stability for speed. Hence why they opt for the best handling ship on the circuit.”

AURICOM

You honestly don’t see too much of this ship

Dying breed...too bulky, too loud on the track in a age of small, long nimble ships

Arguable it’s a prestigious relic for older fans of the game, more of a status symbol to be piloting one than actually reaping benefits with it.

Attracts a self-centered and arrogant sub-division of the older fan base too.

“If finances relied on usage, they would be in BIG danger.”

QIREX

It gets a bad rep from a lot of 'pro' pilots, particularly those fond of aerial tricks

Has a focus on old, hard, fast aggressive piloting. Uncompromising in the corners.

Pilots have a general bitterness and refusal to take on new pilots.

Pilots in general at good at holding grudges and chasing them. In a nut-shell they can be described as personable but with dark centres.

“A very no-frills approach to racing.”

PIRANHA.A

Piranha is another one of the dying breeds, it lures in pilots with it's speed stat but the tank like nature of the ship scares off many

The remaining pilots are the ones who want to pride themselves in controlling a ship that is pretty much uncontrollable at a certain level

The Beat Zico challenge brings in a lot of new pilots getting used to the Piranha

Very few pro pilots touch the Piranha, AndyBob occasionally does

Not a main choice at all, maybe a back-up but no one is really a dedicated Piranha pilot

Became a very beginner-oriented ship

“fodder for Hipsters who can’t handle the Icarus at slower speeds”

ASSEGAI

Assegai pilots are the ones that try to be the nicest but usually get the most ****

Ship feels very akin to a single-nose ship - maneuverable and Beautifully balanced for a double pronged ship

...The kick in the balls is it’s Fragile figure, it even looks anorexic

Tends to be flown by more world-weary pilots. They know they're flying to their death

...But they don't care, So not much rage - Totally care-free

It has a large but sound fanbase. Rather than shouting their allegiance, they tend to whisper it. Can be considered a hidden online movement. Unlike their noisy neighbours over at Icari towers.

“The Illuminati”

ICARUS

Icarus pilots tend to be very elite...but they know it. It’s the “Big daddy ship”

They want to protect their reputations. So they don't race much, and when they do they blame a lot of other factors for poor performance(such as Weps, lag bashing etc.) but let’s not beat around the bush here...these guys are rocket fast.

the Ica is a savage beast..it can chop up one's reputation and spit on it...on the other hand...it can make someone's reputation.

The level of respect for a Icari pilot at Phantom is pretty damn high in the eyes of fellow pilots.

“Fast and Loud”

GOTEKI 45

Houses all the old names who've been through it all but just don't have time to lavish so much on it any more

They can be seen as the Heavy ship of yore and this is the reason the old names love it

However, most of it’s pilots love staying out in front, precisely why this heavy ship is accompanied by a large thrust rating

Stunning looks make it the pilot who wants to flaunt’s first choice

Not appreciated by pilots of the lighter vicinity though

Always a nice natured pilot at the helm of this ship.

“Give the pilot some respect...they deserve it.”

TRIAKIS

There is roughly one single main Triakis user in the entire galaxy

Australian and highly militarised - EXPLAINS BOTH SAID PILOT AND SAID SHIP

Pulse and HD ships are some of the worst in the business. The fury ship is another matter

The pilots have a deep-seated hatred of other people on track, hence why they bring out the tank

The camo is rumoured to bring out rage you could only imagine of having...

“The destroyer of universes.”

HARIMAU

Harimau pilots THINK they are up in the elite territory...But they're not as skilled as other pilots

Benchmark between AVERAGE and PRO

Harimau pilots have a great tendency to complain and whine

It has a stat combination that looks as though it will be a tough ship to deal with but in reality...it just glorifies aspiring pilots.

But this explodes rather spectacularly as the fanrage comes tumbling down on you

Harimau Pilots favorite Quotes include such hits as - “OMG WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME” , “SUCH BAD LAG”, “I GET RAMMED 2 DEATH BEFORE 1ST CORNER”

“Harimau users are basically like Assegai users but more complainy”

EG-X

Are you Hipster enough to want a ship with no benefits whatsoever? You are looking at the right ship Mr. Thick Glasses.

It’s also Ugly as sin.

“Who the 🤬 cares.”

MIRAGE

It’s not the ship mirage have that makes it special. It’s the pilots themselves. The pilot pool this team posses is pure talent with a side of talent served with some cold ice talent and talent sauce...get it?

It’s Icarus for people who don’t need to over-compensate.

The ship itself is pretty bland - and incredibly ugly

It’s average as hell. Even more so than FEISAR. You can rely on this badboy but don’t expect any performance enhancers.

“A team with pilots to die for. ‘Nuff said.”

TL;DR version:

FEISAR: The guy who wants to play safe in a lightning-fast game like WipEout.
AG-Systems: The nice guy.
Auricom: The old guard who's willing to kick some butts.
Qirex: The all-around jerk.
Piranha: Only used for Beat Zico and nothing else.
Goteki 45: The "difficult but awesome".
Assegai: Whateva! I do what I want!
Icaras: The elitist.
EG-X: No one cares about them.
Triakis: Trevor Philips.
Harimau: The scrub.
Mirage: The guy who's so confident on his abilities he often overestimates himself.

I just like how fast it is without sacrificing too much mobility like Piranha.

I've been using them since Pulse.

TL;DR version:

FEISAR: The guy who wants to play safe in a lightning-fast game like WipEout.
AG-Systems: The nice guy.
Auricom: The old guard who's willing to kick some butts.
Qirex: The all-around jerk.
Piranha: Only used for Beat Zico and nothing else.
Goteki 45: The "difficult but awesome".
Assegai: Whateva! I do what I want!
Icaras: The elitist.
EG-X: No one cares about them.
Triakis: Trevor Philips.
Harimau: The scrub.
Mirage: The guy who's so confident on his abilities he often overestimates himself.

I always use AG Systems yet my flying style and aggression level is almost like that of Trevor Philips himself to almost every other team, eliminating them and tearing them apart. Also, no offense, but Harimau seems to be the weakest team.

Harimau can be used effectively but its not a favourite due to its odd Air Brakes I'd say.

FEISAR is just a better ship all-round.

Assegai for life.

To be honest, though, my favorite crafts depend on which WipEout game I'm playing.

Pure: Triakis (due to that deceleration bug), Van-Uber (durable, fast, and agile at the same time)
Pulse: Assegai almost exclusively - I've hit the Loyalty points cap with them!
HD: Assegai, Icaras, Goteki 45, FEISAR, AG-Systems
2048: AG-Systems Speed (the most overpowered craft available IMO), Qirex Fighter, FEISAR Prototype

Also, this song reminds me so much of AG-Systems.

Last edited:
I'm still using Feisar simply to try to build up that Loyalty deal to win that Trophy. I never really found a favorite craft in HD/Fury except the WipEout staple known as Feisar.

Oh, Xios International was awesome in WipEout Fusion, especially when fully upgraded. I still have my memories going full speed in the big boost zone on Katmoda 12 Track 3 there. It could also take quite a beating when fully upgraded.

For the first time, I tried my luck at a Speed Class other than Venom recently. In fact, I attempted a Time Trial at Anulpha Pass in an Icaras ship. Good grief- terribly fast! I chose Icaras because one or two of my PSN friends have mostly had speed records set in the Venom class.

This is off-topic of WipEout HD/Fury, but I saw a video on some of the toughest tracks in WipEout history. And man... I never played the first WipEout, but I have new appreciation for how far the series has come since the first one. Some of those tracks in the first game were BRUTAL when I saw the video! Can you imagine dealing with super-sharp hairpins in addition to multiple routes... in anti-gravity racing ships? Crazy.

I am so impressed at how fast everything flows no matter what kind of action takes place in the game. This 2008(?) game remains beautiful even today.

I never played the first WipEout, but I have new appreciation for how far the series has come since the first one. Some of those tracks in the first game were BRUTAL when I saw the video!
Oh, there have always been difficult circuits. Odessa Keys in Wipeout XL was always rough, as was Stanza Inter in Wipeout 3 for the tunnel full of chicanes. And Temtesh Bay in Wipeout Fusion was hated for the section through the mines.

For the first time, I tried my luck at a Speed Class other than Venom recently. In fact, I attempted a Time Trial at Anulpha Pass in an Icaras ship. Good grief- terribly fast! I chose Icaras because one or two of my PSN friends have mostly had speed records set in the Venom class.

This is off-topic of WipEout HD/Fury, but I saw a video on some of the toughest tracks in WipEout history. And man... I never played the first WipEout, but I have new appreciation for how far the series has come since the first one. Some of those tracks in the first game were BRUTAL when I saw the video! Can you imagine dealing with super-sharp hairpins in addition to multiple routes... in anti-gravity racing ships? Crazy.

I am so impressed at how fast everything flows no matter what kind of action takes place in the game. This 2008(?) game remains beautiful even today.

If anyone's interested, here is the video.

I have to say, I agree with a good chunk of his choices. If you just don't have time to see this video (it's almost half an hour long, and doesn't include the tracks from 2048), here is the full list of the tracks he's mentioned in the video.

WipEout 1:
  • Korodera (Qirex's home track: quick and difficult corners which can easily destabilize your craft, and a leap of faith that is very difficult to judge correctly without flying off the track)
  • Arridos IV (Auricom's home track: the second longest circuit in the game per lap time, with long straights brutally cut short by tight and blind corners; no wonder it's the final Classic track in WipEout 3 Special Edition)
  • Silverstream (imagine Korodera and Arridos IV having a baby; said baby, however, even includes a hairpin and a split where you are forced to take the harder route to still have a chance to win the race; hardest circuit in the series? Very much so)
2097:
  • Gare d'Europa (similar reasons to Arridos IV, including dark indoor sections lightning strikes outside, and a tortuous series of jumps at the end of the lap; also, you can only race this track on Rapier class at the beginning of the game)
  • Odessa Keys (this track is like a rollercoaster; many uphills and downhills, and tons of sharp corners in between these undulations. Also, the fact you can only race this track on Rapier class at the beginning of the game makes this track the most hated in the game)
  • Vostok Island (split parts, blind corners, quick jumps, and you can only race this track on Phantom class before completing the Piranha Challenge)
  • Spilskinanke (this track throws at you everything described above, including dive pads like those in 3's Manor Top; also, you can only race this track on Phantom class before completing the Piranha Challenge)
3:
  • Stanza Inter (tons and tons of sharp blind corners in a row, and a (sadistic) split where you have to choose between an unfathomably narrow straight and a long chicane series)
  • Hi-Fumii (many sharp corners which come at you without warning, plus a corner at the end of the track where the road is very narrow)
  • P-Mar Project (a devil in disguise: this track needs you to have accurate cornering abilities if you don't want to plow right into a wall)
  • Prototype LS103/AW72 (long straights, and littered with all kinds of corners, it gets especially worse since the scenery doesn't give much visibility to the road ahead)
Fusion:
  • Cubiss Float 2 (a fast and undulating outside section - with ice! - and a split track where in the reverse variant - not unlike Silverstream - you always have to take one branch in order to remain competitive, this track is like a slap to the face considering it's only a variant of the third track in the game)
  • Alca Vexus 3 (a long track with many sharp corners, and a brutal final part where one wrong move may cost you badly)
  • Vohl square 3 (it seems a track where you can floor it, but some parts are blocked; memory is key on this track)
  • Temtesh Bay 2 (WHOEVER HAS DESIGNED THIS ABOMINATION OF A SO-CALLED "CIRCUIT" CAN TAKE THE BLUEPRINTS AND 🤬🤬🤬🤬)
Pure:
  • Chenghou Project (uphill sweeper, quick hairpin, double jump, banked corner, bridge without walls, two hairpins, leap of faith, chicane. Here's a good recipe for a nasty circuit)
  • Citta Nuova (not only there's an inhumanly tight hairpin halfway around, but there's also a series of heavily banked chicanes which can easily flip your craft upside down or throw it off the track; even the Autopilot has trouble navigating this section!)
  • Sebenco Climb (a horrible series of hairpins, plus an extremely fast downhill straight cut short by another hairpin, no wonder everybody hates this circuit)
  • Sebenco Peak (sharp corners made to destabilize your craft, and at the end the most banked corner in the entire game)
Pulse:
  • Platinum Rush (this track takes a few notes from P-Mar Project's book; the final part, where the road narrows down before throwing you into 3 extremely difficult corners is worth mentioning)
  • Outpost 7 (extremely unpredictable, and with two hairpins, this track is among the more difficult in the series)
  • Gemini Dam (multiple sharp corners and uphill sections which blind the racers from the road ahead, if you haven't mastered the airbrakes then avoid this track like the plague)
  • Vostok Reef (the White Run isn't too bad, but the Black Run has the corners going uphill. Considering how fast this game can get, this is NOT fun.)
HD Fury:
  • Chenghou Project (steeper bankings and narrower roads make this track even worse than it was in Pure)
  • Sebenco Climb (due to the different handling model and improved gameplay speed, this track is even harder than it was in Pure without any significant track alterations)
  • Ubermall (the first part isn't difficult, but after the track split all hell breaks loose with a jump leading to a chicane; if that wasn't enough there is another chicane waiting for you after the final corner)
  • Modesto Heights (right-angled corners, fast chicanes, banked destabilizing corners and a very dark indoor section make this track much harder than it was in Pure)
But now I wanna know... What are for you the hardest circuits in 2048? I'd say Rockway Stadium (so many right-angled corners it's not even funny), Downtown (despite the open sections, the jumps make this track very difficult to judge correctly), and Sol (similar to Odessa Keys, but there are no guardrails on this track at all).

Stanza Inter (tons and tons of sharp blind corners in a row, and a (sadistic) split where you have to choose between an unfathomably narrow straight and a long chicane series)
The chicane tunnel wasn't too bad if you minimised movement between the corners. It was pretty good in something like a Piranha or AG-S, but a nightmare in a Qirex or Goteki-45.

I always hated Mega Mall, mostly because I am colour-blind, so it always gives me a headache.

Temtesh Bay 2 (WHOEVER HAS DESIGNED THIS ABOMINATION OF A SO-CALLED "CIRCUIT" CAN TAKE THE BLUEPRINTS AND 🤬🤬🤬🤬)
The circuit itself isn't that bad - the problem is the timing of the bulkheads. They don't open until the last moment.

nick98 has it right- that was the video I saw last night about some of the toughest courses in WipEout history. This thread is about HD/Fury, and I am in total agreement that both Chengdu Project and Sebenco Pass are tough. WipEout games are not supposed to be as intriguing to race like in most simulation racers. However (and another point about that video), it makes you appreciate the skill in trying to properly fly your craft through the different tracks. Consider yourself adept if you can reel off Perfect Laps or even Perfect Flights. Only once can I remember ever having a Perfect Flight in any WipEout, and it was in HD/Fury at (I think) Moa Therma.

Back