WipEout Omega CollectionPS4 

• Thread starter Parker
  • 336 comments
United States
Kentucky, USA
James_Page
PageyTheSquid
Even though it is a remaster, I figured this game deserves its own thread. For those not aware, WipEout Omega Collection is a remaster of WipEout HD, Fury and 2048 coming to the PS4.

Here is the announcement trailer:

And some 4K, 60fps gameplay:

I always enjoy the WipEout games so I'm glad the PS4 is getting one, even if it is just a remaster.

I'd have been more excited about it if there were more titles. It's good for me just because I didn't get them back when new, but if the ENTIRE series was included I'd buy a PS4 just for it.

Wow! I'm in love! WipEout has never looked lovelier with this Omega collection. I'm intrigued with WipEout Omega Collection having played WipEout Fury/HD. I don't have a PSVITA, so I can't say I have WipEout 2048 experience. Those with a PS4 and love the WipEout series probably will not be disappointed with this Omega Collection.

Hopefully they'll add a 2048 Racebox mode for this game, which is what the original 2048 lacked, in which we should be able to customize our own Single Race, Time Trial, Head to Head, Zone, Combat and make our own custom tournaments.

I could be optimistic enough to hope for multi-class racing (HD vs. Fury ships, HD vs. 2048 ships and Fury vs. 2048 ships) and for HD/Fury ships to race in 2048 tracks as well.

Definitely looking forward to this, like @JohnBM01 I never got to play Wipeout 2048. I really hope that the photo mode has received a tweak as well, so that we can pause mid-race or save replays to pull images from.

I know it's not the prime purpose of the game, but with such beauty and care being put into the modelling and environment, it would be a shame to not showcase it.

I wouldve been more excited if they were remastering the first three PS1 games,with those soundtracks....as HD/Fury still looks great in HD on PS4. Although 4K will take it to another level..

Really looking forward to this, I loved HD/Fury - and the Zone modes were particularly awesome. I also played the very first WipEout which I remember playing regularly on rented PS1 back in the mid 90s - my first console gaming experience I think, as I had previously only gamed on PCs, Amiga and C64.
I played a bit of the two PSP games as well but handheld gaming isn't really something I ever enjoy to anywhere near the same degree as on regular console or PC.

I don't think you should be disappointed if you're expecting some legacy package or something in regards to this Omega Collection. But man- wouldn't you love to see a legacy collection of WipEout? I would race a modern WipEout with one of the first FEISAR ships or maybe a fully upgraded Xios International ship (WipEout Fusion) to match up against Mirage or the almighty Piranha A. ships. But still, I wouldn't turn down Omega Collection even if you've never played a WipEout game before and want to play one.

Biggest plus for this game is the online, WipEout HD's simplicity and lobby mode allowed me to make many friends over the years that I played.

I'm just frustrated launch is still a good bit away! Especially, since the gameplay footage for HD looks identical to the PS3 version.

@Chameleon - Just seen your post on the HD Thread and thought it would be useful for you to know there's an Omega thread too.

I was shocked to see it get announced too although it seems to match up nicely to the release window for Formula Fusion...I wonder if they'll release around the same time.

@Chameleon - Just seen your post on the HD Thread and thought it would be useful for you to know there's an Omega thread too.

I was shocked to see it get announced too although it seems to match up nicely to the release window for Formula Fusion...I wonder if they'll release around the same time.
that would be a nasty move from sony,.... especialy since they backed up Formula fusion too,....

When is Formula fusion releasing??
i did not hear a date yet....?

It's already available as pre-launch on PC and a launch is coming soon, but I don't think there is an actual date set as yet.
R8 Games last Facebook post said they are 'hoping' to rock our world in 2017.

I'm not sure if that implies they're hopeful of a 2017 release or simply excited for us to get our hands on the game this year.

I'm really hoping it's the latter but based on some of the recent videos the physics still seem to be a bit off.

Off topic, but has anyone here played formula fusion? If so, how similar are the physics to the wipe-out series? I will only buy it if it feels very similar.

Great to see Wipeout will be coming back, albeit as a 'remaster' of existing games - it bodes well for the possibility of an entirely new Wipeout game in the future, but then again, it is hard to see how they can improve upon perfection other than to upgrade to the latest graphical standards.

I've read that there is no (planned) VR support for this title - surely they are missing a trick here... Wipeout VR would be mind-blowing - or perhaps that is the problem... imagine having to call the boss to say that you will be off work today because you were up all night barfing after trying to get the Zone Zeus medal (although that would be rather fun). Detonator in VR mode would be frankly epic ...

--

I've still not bought a PS4 because I've never considered it enough of a leap from a PS3 to justify the expense, not least because one of the only big plus points that I can see is the 4K graphics, which I'm sure would look super on my non-4K TV. This game almost reinforces the point - that the most appealing game on the PS4 so far is one that I have got on the PS3 already, albeit with souped up graphics. But I am seriously tempted, and so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread - I reckon if it were to have a VR mode too, I'd almost be sold on it already.

Great to see Wipeout will be coming back, albeit as a 'remaster' of existing games - it bodes well for the possibility of an entirely new Wipeout game in the future, but then again, it is hard to see how they can improve upon perfection other than to upgrade to the latest graphical standards.

I've read that there is no (planned) VR support for this title - surely they are missing a trick here... Wipeout VR would be mind-blowing - or perhaps that is the problem... imagine having to call the boss to say that you will be off work today because you were up all night barfing after trying to get the Zone Zeus medal. Detonator in VR mode would be frankly epic ...

--

I've still not bought a PS4 because I've never considered it enough of a leap from a PS3 to justify the expense, not least because one of the only big plus points that I can see is the 4K graphics, which I'm sure would look super on my non-4K TV. This game almost reinforces the point - that the most appealing game on the PS4 so far is one that I have got on the PS3 already, albeit with souped up graphics. But I am seriously tempted, and so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread - I reckon if it were to have a VR mode too, I'd almost be sold on it already.
Omega Collection is worth it alone for a decent online community. That's what ended up making HD fade for me after 4 years of playing...when the online dried up.

My sister is talking about buying a PS4 for my nephew for his birthday, so I might end up buying this after all...

This may be a silly question, but can you install your PS3 purchases on a PS4? If so, I'd install WipEout HD/Fury on the PS4, though I'd probably buy this new title too simply on principle.

My sister is talking about buying a PS4 for my nephew for his birthday, so I might end up buying this after all...

This may be a silly question, but can you install your PS3 purchases on a PS4? If so, I'd install WipEout HD/Fury on the PS4, though I'd probably buy this new title too simply on principle.
Ha, I wish.

Unfortunately not...Hence why this collection is worth it alone to have HD Fury on the console. 👍

In hindsight, maybe Sony made an error making the PS2 and original PS3 backward compatible, because seasoned PlayStationers like me feel like we should be able to play PSN games we've already paid for on a new console, but hey... that's why I'm not in sales.

If my nephew gets a PS4 (or perhaps that should be when he gets one), I will definitely buy Wipeout for me him.

In hindsight, maybe Sony made an error making the PS2 and original PS3 backward compatible, because seasoned PlayStationers like me feel like we should be able to play PSN games we've already paid for on a new console, but hey... that's why I'm not in sales.

If my nephew gets a PS4 (or perhaps that should be when he gets one), I will definitely buy Wipeout for me him.
Some do have cross-buy (by on one platform - get it on all), but most don't unfortunately, this is an incomplete list of PS3/PS4/Vita cross-buy titles;
http://www.vitaplayer.co.uk/playstation-vita-ps3-ps4-cross-buy-guide/

Personally I pre-ordered it as soon as I got the email yesterday, this is going to look stunning on the PS4 Pro.

Gone gold.

IsZF8pX.gif

Back