WipEout Omega CollectionPS4 

• Thread starter Parker
  • 336 comments
Let me check what you can do in Racebox.

Yes please, that's what I'm most excited for with Omega Collection because I want it to differ from 2048 with all the DLC in some capacity. Besides that, I'm buying the game anyways just for that Tigron craft, that looks amazing.

Yes please, that's what I'm most excited for with Omega Collection because I want it to differ from 2048 with all the DLC in some capacity. Besides that, I'm buying the game anyways just for that Tigron craft, that looks amazing.
So just checked and on the Beta it's a single controller setup for all three and Racebox doesn't allow you to 2048 craft on HD tracks (or HD craft on 2048 tracks).

It's may change for release, but given how close we are I personally doubt it

So just checked and on the Beta it's a single controller setup for all three and Racebox doesn't allow you to 2048 craft on HD tracks (or HD craft on 2048 tracks).

It's may change for release, but given how close we are I personally doubt it

Good news:
Single controller setup, great!

Bad news:
Doesn't really seem smart to limit player choice like that. Letting players use 2048 with HD and HD with 2048 would open up quite a bit of content for little to no effort. The only problem is that you'd destroy the continuity of the series :D

So with this information, there's now a shield pickup in 2048? It doesn't bother me personally, but just the muscle memory might be an issue. Also, are HD and Fury further segregated?

So with this information, there's now a shield pickup in 2048? It doesn't bother me personally, but just the muscle memory might be an issue. Also, are HD and Fury further segregated?
As far as I can recall yes it's now a pick up.

HD and Fury are seperate as far as campaign goes, but together for Racebox and online.

This certainly looks interesting. I've never played any of these types of racing games before, so would this be a good place for me to start since it's a collection of games, or should I pick up a previous title? My only systems are PS3 and PS4 right now.

Dan
This certainly looks interesting. I've never played any of these types of racing games before, so would this be a good place for me to start since it's a collection of games, or should I pick up a previous title? My only systems are PS3 and PS4 right now.

Two (well, technically one) of the titles was released on the PS3, them being HD and HD Fury, which have their assets taken from the two previous PSP titles (Pure and Pulse) and remade for PS3. If you played HD on PS3, this would be familiar territory. 2048, which is a Vita-exclusive title, is essentially an in-universe prequel, taking place at the earliest possible time in the WipEout timeline. Playing the earlier games is solely for nostalgia, or for revisiting old tracks that don't return in newer games. The controls have been incredibly tight and responsive from the very first game, and all teams which are in the latest games were gradually introduced to the series. Also, all weapons which are in the latest games have been included since the second game. In short, you can play any WipEout game (maybe barring the original and to some extent, Fusion) and understand what the series is all about.

Last edited:
Two (well, technically one) of the titles was released on the PS3, them being HD and HD Fury, which have their assets taken from the two previous PSP titles (Pure and Pulse) and remade for PS3. If you played HD on PS3, this would be familiar territory. 2048, which is a Vita-exclusive title, is essentially an in-universe prequel, taking place at the earliest possible time in the WipEout timeline. Playing the earlier games is solely for nostalgia, or for revisiting old tracks that don't return in newer games. The controls have been incredibly tight and responsive from the very first game, and all teams which are in the latest games were gradually introduced to the series. Also, all weapons which are in the latest games have been included since the second game. In short, you can play any WipEout game (maybe barring the original and to some extent, Fusion) and understand what the series is all about.

Thanks for your response! Looks like I will wait for Omega instead of buying HD/HD Fury as @Brend recommends. Would you say I'd be missing out on anything by not playing the oldest games?

Dan
Thanks for your response! Looks like I will wait for Omega instead of buying HD/HD Fury as @Brend recommends. Would you say I'd be missing out on anything by not playing the oldest games?
Personally speaking, it's just like any racing series. What makes each game unique is there is usually an associated handling model.

The lore (which isn't really important) put each game as a specific 'series' of Anti-gravity racing, so for example a game like Fusion was more like Touring Car racing with bulky ships that could take a hit but something like HD Fury has tight controls and more intricate track design.

HD Fury is the peak of the series in my opinion, so you'd be going in at the perfect entry as far as I'm concerned. Due to the nature of each game, it's one of those series where everyone can have massively varying favorites since the games themselves aren't just iteratives but offer good individual experiences. :) Some are similar but generally you get a different experience in each game.

The lore (which isn't really important) put each game as a specific 'series' of Anti-gravity racing, so for example a game like Fusion was more like Touring Car racing

So, the first games in the series were classic '50s F1, with simplistic designs and slower pace.

Fusion was like Hunt-Lauda era Formula One, it was the fastest and most dangerous period in AG racing with poor safety standards, unsafe tracks with money laundering and quirky, weird ship designs.

Pulse was kind of the late 90's era F1 cars, they were safer and more uniform in design and the tracks became a little less wild.

HD Fury is modern F1, more aerodynamic and compact designs.

I dunno, just my opinion but that's how I look at the Wipeout universe.

So, the first games in the series were classic '50s F1, with simplistic designs and slower pace.

Fusion was like Hunt-Lauda era Formula One, it was the fastest and most dangerous period in AG racing with poor safety standards, unsafe tracks with money laundering and quirky, weird ship designs.

Pulse was kind of the late 90's era F1 cars, they were safer and more uniform in design and the tracks became a little less wild.

HD Fury is modern F1, more aerodynamic and compact designs.

I dunno, just my opinion but that's how I look at the Wipeout universe.
Fusion just sticks out so much that I always see it in a different light to the rest. For better or worse. :lol:

@Dan, as @Brend said, it's all about the lore of the series. By default, the only backstory given is in the game manuals. As one who has played every game in the series except for HD, I got to witness the evolution of this fictitious sport, similar to how you would follow F1. So you'd see how Piranha transitioned from experimental privateers to becoming one of AG Racing's powerhouses, the Cold War-esque conflict between Auricom and Qirex, and how the emergence of Icaras threatened to derail the operations of Feisar. You'd also develop a strong connection to one of the teams, and won't just choose one because you like the ship's performance. But that works too. :sly:

@Dan, as @Brend said, it's all about the lore of the series. By default, the only backstory given is in the game manuals. As one who has played every game in the series except for HD, I got to witness the evolution of this fictitious sport, similar to how you would follow F1. So you'd see how Piranha transitioned from experimental privateers to becoming one of AG Racing's powerhouses, the Cold War-esque conflict between Auricom and Qirex, and how the emergence of Icaras threatened to derail the operations of Feisar. You'd also develop a strong connection to one of the teams, and won't just choose one because you like the ship's performance. But that works too. :sly:

The backstory of Fusion was probably the best one. I love how the game manuals fill in the gaps for absent teams and re-branding.

Dan
I've played the lot and the Omega collection is the way to go.

Good to see they have some faith in what they're putting out...the artist list doesn't personally fill me with confidence.
IMO, Metrik and Krakota don't seem to be awful additions to the soundtrack. Sony have quite a good track record with licensed music. If it's EDM that hasn't been played on the radio, meshes well with high speeds, and doesn't focus too much on one genre, I'm all for it.

IMO, Metrik and Krakota don't seem to be awful additions to the soundtrack. Sony have quite a good track record with licensed music. If it's EDM that hasn't been played on the radio, meshes well with high speeds, and doesn't focus too much on one genre, I'm all for it.
Yeah, I see what you mean but 2048 was so basic and thoughtless it stood out like a sore thumb compared to other entries.

Yeah, I see what you mean but 2048 was so basic and thoughtless it stood out like a sore thumb compared to other entries.
2048's soundtrack was the worst in the series by far. Since there's no exclusive focus (well there technically is but it's meta) on a throwback, I don't see too many artists return to remix the same track the second time around.

Last edited:
Swedish House Mafia definitely seems like the odd one out, but I can see Metrik and Krakota fitting in. We'll have to wait and see though, part of WipEout's charm is the killer soundtrack, but like @2clicks said, as long as it isn't the most mainstream, lowest-common-denominator electronica and has a degree of variety and originality we're good.

Swedish House Mafia definitely seems like the odd one out, but I can see Metrik and Krakota fitting in. We'll have to wait and see though, part of WipEout's charm is the killer soundtrack, but like @2clicks said, as long as it isn't the most mainstream, lowest-common-denominator electronica and has a degree of variety and originality we're good.
I mean I could be wrong but it does seem they're going more for popularity of artists/songs than how they fit into the game. Of course I'm only going from the trailers so far but I'm preparing a Spotify playlist because I have zero confidence at the minute.

Back