Witcher 3

I have the "Read the note" issue. If you found the note it would be in the key items part of the Inventory. It is apparently a known bug. As well as that there is a locked chest I can't open. I may have to visit all the bandit camps and use my Witcher Sense.

Had a strange one on loading the game... no Crossbow. I'd killed the Griffin by then, so should have had it. Even stranger was the fact it was there later!

There do seem to be some bugs around the game.

I am playing on the PS4.
If its the locked chest in a cellar I found the key at a near by point of interest. I had 2 bugs on PS4 version yesterday 1st was funny second no so funny. My horse was stuck about 3 meters up in the air I could call but as soon as I started moving I was in the air lol. Second bug broke my game save at a loading screen luckily 1 of the game auto saves was 10 minutes behind.

If you fast travel regularly, your Autosave should be reasonably up to date.

Another funny was having to re-equip my bombs.

I'm having a couple issues too with crafting. I've just completed the "In Ciri's Footsteps" and "Family Matters" where I turned the botchling into a rubbakin or whatver they call it. However after greasing my silver sword with some sceptre oil to help me against the two noonwraith battles. My sword and upper body armor are now in big damage. How can I make repair kit without having to buy one from a blacksmith?

Also I'm still at level 4 602/1000. I have 2 points I can use to up my character skills but I haven't done it yet. Even this far into the game I'm still not having the right ingredients to make the right potions or bombs despite already having tons of ingredients. This game is too hard lol. Also still trying to figure out what I need to upgrade my whole armor a lot more or upgrade my magic signs etc. Can anyone help me out?? I got hold of that chart or map at velen where the baron is.

It's the the little village outside the barons castle, there I found advice talking to a blacksmith about some cave or cavern where I can go to get the tools to upgrade my armor. Not sure if that armor will be as good as one I can craft. The issue is how do we find out what exactly we can craft. Like how much we can upgrade our armor or swords or anything really. Sorry for the many questions. I just haven't had much time to play the game and then realized through others posts I hadn't completed all the side quests either from the notice boards at White Orchard.

I thought we could go back there and complete them later. This game is giving me frustration, requiring a lot of patience and time I haven't had. Also I don't have much money. Can't figure out a way to save lots of money up or find treasure. My problem with this game is that there is too much complication with so many different items to collect and figuring out ingredients. Not knowing where to go to find them.

For instance the only items I've successfully managed to craft are bombs dancing Star, Grapeshot and samum. But I haven't used them yet. I've only used magic signs or scepter oil on the noonwraiths. I think I didn't have the bomb ingredients for the monsters that needed it. Once again I'm overwhelmed and confused by how much the game requires you to do. Having little money doesn't help me either.

I have two points in which to upgrade the character. Before I start to summon the lubberkin where the botchlin is buried what should I spend my two points on for my character for best benefit? The only character upgrades I've done is Combat skill muscle memory level 1, and signs delusions level 1. Badly need skill points so I can upgrade more of the character abilities. What level should I be at when I summon the lubberkin? Because I missed all the ? at White Orchard and didn't do all the side quests. I fear this was a BAD move. And maybe I should have had more skill points earned by now.

Last edited:
@wraith of horus dont worry about completing the game fast, concentrate on completing the game in full. If that takes you a long time then so be it.

Points to upgrade your character are handy but I've found only do small amounts to help you on your way so pick the ones you feel benefit your gameplay. If you cast and use signs a lot then upgrade those. If you wade in and use your sword and hope to come out the other side then that's what I would upgrade.

Just remember to activate them once your points are spent. Also using any mutagens of the same colour increases them further and you can then make better mutagens later.

I wouldn't worry about the quest for better armour from the guy at Bloody Barons keep. The quest is something like Level 23 or above I think.

I'm now at level 5.5 and doing some side missions. I'm just completing all the ? On the map for now before moving the story on too much.

You can buy or loot repair kits.

The only thing I've found useful so far is learning as much as possible before hitting big enemies to work out thier weaknesses.

I've just completed a werewolf side mission and it was a pain as it was a level 6 and I was level 4 but I still managed to take him out with tactics rather than brute stength.

Quick question, as I often get ahead of myself in games of this magnitude, how do I use my crossbow? I have it hanging on my back but for the life of me can't figure out how to equip it.

Quick question, as I often get ahead of myself in games of this magnitude, how do I use my crossbow? I have it hanging on my back but for the life of me can't figure out how to equip it.

If you go to where you select your signs, it's just below them.

I have 4 spare ability points with 4 abilites set, though I can only use 3. Well on the way to Level 6. Best to find all the points of power in White Orchard for those points.

I have 4 spare ability points with 4 abilites set, though I can only use 3. Well on the way to Level 6. Best to find all the points of power in White Orchard for those points.

Thanks for the advice. I will definately complete the quests and look for for ? and explore all areas before proceeding with game main story mission. There were points where the game will try to force you to do part of the story like the game telling you to see vessimir and giving it as an objective to complete rather than putting it as a marker in the map and allowing you to free roam, explore or find side quests and notice boards. There were some parts I progressed to far with the story without realizing I was doing this. This I wasn't keen on. Because before you know it your visiting different cities or towns.

Any two skills in particular I should acquire that you would recommend?

I don't know why but the game won't let me fast travel from Velen to White Orchard. It just keeps telling me I should use use the fast travel points. I was clicking the hammer or axe looking icon but pressing X just doesn't seem to let me fast travel.

Do you have to unlock fast travel icons before you can use them? Maybe it was because I didn't explore all the ? and do all the quests in Orchard so therefore I can't use the Fast Travel points?

I don't understand the mutagens and what they are supposed to do, why they are different colours and what I am supposed to use them for?

Last edited:
The Fast Travel caught me out in Velen, until I found that R3 got me to the World Map.

I went for the Vitality regen and Crossbow boost. I think the third was an experience boost. Pretty much essentials initially.

Haven't explored mutagens yet.

Another good reason for completing White Orchard is you get specifications for a lot of useful stuff, such as other types of Crossbow bolt.

The Fast Travel caught me out in Velen, until I found that R3 got me to the World Map.

I went for the Vitality regen and Crossbow boost. I think the third was an experience boost. Pretty much essentials initially.

Haven't explored mutagens yet.

Another good reason for completing White Orchard is you get specifications for a lot of useful stuff, such as other types of Crossbow bolt.

This. As you say. The game preparing you early on which is something I totally disregarded when I first started it. Now I can't fast travel I need to find a fast way back to Orchard so I can complete everything there. Thanks for the tips on skill points. I'll try the vitality and crossbow boost. The crossbow came in very handy to deal with the gang at the peddlers hut. Oh and besides the wolfs and the Grisly Bear which you have to kill to recue his little goat Princess.

Last edited:
You can get to White Orchard from anywhere. Go to the Fast Travel, when the local map is up hit R3 and select White Orchard.

Mutagens are like multipliers to your skill tree. They also have thier own perk too.

For example:

They come in three forms

1. Lesser
  2. Normal
  3. Greater
If you use your skill points for Signs then they are blue and as such you need blue mutagens to boost them. If you combine 3 lesser blue you get 1 normal and if you combine 3 normal you get 1 greater. Beware not all mutagens are equal. Some are specific like the Gryffin mutagen has different perks but is still blue.

On your skill tree where you place them your mutagens go in the diamond shape and when you have the same colour you'll see lines connecting them. It will also then have the perk below them in text.

This is how I have mine set up at this time.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Finally found some Emerald Dust! Almost level six and I still use the very first silver sword... Gotta finish Wandering In the Dark and get me that nice Serpentine Silver Sword :D

Went mostly with light attack talents... Put three points into arrow deflection though. Feels like a mistake now :indiff:

Finally found some Emerald Dust! Almost level six and I still use the very first silver sword... Gotta finish Wandering In the Dark and get me that nice Serpentine Silver Sword :D

Went mostly with light attack talents... Put three points into arrow deflection though. Feels like a mistake now :indiff:

I'm using the Serpentine Sword and while it's good, I'm now facing enemies which it isn't doing enough damage and I'm relying more on Oils and Signs. I've got a plan for a decent sword but regrettably it can be used until Lvl 13ish and uses most of my silver ingots.

I'm not at Lvl 8 nearly 9 after a few side missions. Just finished the side missions with Keira Metz and they are just fantastic and I was close to gaining two Lvls just by doing it, not to mention the goodies gained.

I'm using the Serpentine Sword and while it's good, I'm now facing enemies which it isn't doing enough damage and I'm relying more on Oils and Signs. I've got a plan for a decent sword but regrettably it can be used until Lvl 13ish and uses most of my silver ingots.
Yeah, got the lvl 13 sword sitting in my inventory as well :lol: I'm in two minds about crafting the Serpentine Sword as well... Found a map for another Witcher Gear Treasure hunt. The suggested level is 11, I think, si I'm not too sure whether to attempt that at level 6 and skip the Serpentine Sword altogether. Might be a bit hard to do and my standard silver sword ain't cutting it no more. Bad pun totally intended.

I'd probably use signs more, but I've yet to put a single point into that tree - probably going to boost my Quen as soon as I can, seems mighty useful until now. Oils help a bunch, though 👍

Ok guys I'm stuck. I can't fast travel When I go to the world map and press R3 to go into white orchard and highlight a sign post it won't let me fast travel. So I'm lost and trying to find my way there by horseback and I have damaged armor and sword.

Yeah, got the lvl 13 sword sitting in my inventory as well :lol: I'm in two minds about crafting the Serpentine Sword as well... Found a map for another Witcher Gear Treasure hunt. The suggested level is 11, I think, si I'm not too sure whether to attempt that at level 6 and skip the Serpentine Sword altogether. Might be a bit hard to do and my standard silver sword ain't cutting it no more. Bad pun totally intended.

I'd probably use signs more, but I've yet to put a single point into that tree - probably going to boost my Quen as soon as I can, seems mighty useful until now. Oils help a bunch, though 👍

I've spent most of my points on signs a few on fast attacks.

I agree oils are one of the keys to taking down larger enemies.

I've got the all the maps now to the Feline School Witcher Armour, Swords and Crossbow. Only trouble is the the level needed to use and get them.

I'm just doing clean sweeps of side quests, ?'s and !'s I can find. Currently doing one with a Fog creature and it's a tough one.

Ok guys I'm stuck. I can't fast travel When I go to the world map and press R3 to go into white orchard and highlight a sign post it won't let me fast travel. So I'm lost and trying to find my way there by horseback and I have damaged armor and sword.

Sorry for this dumb question but you are using the cross road symbols?

image.jpg

Not just that specific one. If you go to one then click (X) this will open the map and then you can select the area you want by choosing the closest symbol and it will then allow you to fast travel.

This video shows it best.

I have never played earlier Witcher games but after reaching level 9 and investing a good amount of hours into Witcher 3, I will say this.....

...it is dark, repulsive, sickening and some of the greatest gaming I have had in a while! I cannot get over the twisted stories and gore that is offered, I love it. The Bloody Baron and Wild at Heart missions were bananas!

I am starting to craft and understand the system to better your gear, which at first was overwhelming. Only have reached
White Orchard, Velen/Novigrad so far but still have 60+ ? marks to do.

Quite the game I must say, wish I would have played the earlier ones. Were those as dark as this one?

Yay, found the Griffin School swords - both steel and silver :D Good thing I've been doing some of the ?s recently! Almost level 7 to use them, too. Finally some fire power!

Bit the bullet on a respec potion, too :indiff: 1,000 crowns, that did hurt quite a bit. Much better than being pissed whenever I open my character panel, though :lol: And I made most of it back by now. Gathering all sorts of stuff from the ?s really gets you some good cash.

Went almost pure combat now, aside from Sun and Stars (which really is invaluable). Got damage boosts for both light and heavy attacks - very useful to actually be able to use both. The heavy ones to circumvent heavy armour, light ones for quick pokes. Much better than the increased critical strikes and arrow deflection. Also, Fleet Footed. Makes dodgin/sitestepping so much better!

Need some red mutagen, though :indiff:
Quite the game I must say, wish I would have played the earlier ones. Were those as dark as this one?
The story and lore is based on the books by Andrzej Sapkowski, so, yeah, they're all pretty similar in that regard :D Not quite as vast, the previous too, though.

Craaaaaaap, I missed the chance to do the Philippa Eilhart quest because I gave radovid the damn gem instead of triss/yen first :(

To repair your gear go to any weapon smith or armour smith. Ask to see what they are sellibg then I think on PS4 you press R1 to go to weapon repair. Then repair individual pieces or press square to do it all in one go.

Has anyone who has a AMD CPU/Nvida GPU have been getting a massive hit on performance in the game? So far, I have been used to seeing 10-25 fps in the game, and I did what Boogie2988 (Francis) suggested and turned off certain features in the options to no effect.

I just bought the game three days ago, and I don't want to uninstall it just because of a petty squabble between Nvida and AMD.

Has anyone who has a AMD CPU/Nvida GPU have been getting a massive hit on performance in the game? So far, I have been used to seeing 10-25 fps in the game, and I did what Boogie2988 (Francis) suggested and turned off certain features in the options to no effect.

I just bought the game three days ago, and I don't want to uninstall it just because of a petty squabble between Nvida and AMD.
What video card do you have?

Minimum requirement is GTX 660. I would start at the lowest settings possible and work up.

This guy with an FX-4100 and 650 Ti Boost seems to have it working okay.

Well, here I thought I could only spend my ability points on the 5 main "Battle" attribute trees.

Yikes - There is much to learn by way of skill tree advancement. So someone wanted to know where to increase their alchemy skill? Same place you upgrade your speed, strength. You click on the upper row of icons to select the different area's of sills, the first one being battle. Here I am at level 11 and just discovered the other skill categories to learn. O_o

This game is so awesome, just had to say again. Make sure you do your lower level side quests before you level up too far or they will grey out on you. Not sure if you can still do them or not, but I can only imagine the experience given will be worthless.

And what everyone's been saying, do all the question marks! I love the main quest, but find even some of the side quest have rich story lines and back history that almost make them feel like main quests.

Just need more time playing, and less time working! :)

Last edited:
So someone wanted to know where to increase their crafting skill?
Kinda... Alchemy is part of your skill tree, crafting, however, isn't. Depends on the level of the merchant you're visiting.

And what everyone's been saying, do all the question marks! I love the main quest, but find even some of the side quest have rich story lines and back history that almost make them feel like main quests.
Agreed, some of the side quests have better writing than some games I've played :lol:

What's more, the game's size is almost intimidating. I've got close to thirty hours on the clock and seen maybe a third of what Velen has to offer. Haven't set foot into Novigrad, Skellige or Khaer Modan yet :lol:

Back