With GT7 could Gran Turismo become a playable encyclopedia for cars ?

France
France
Tricky_Vega
This could be a very ambitious work to achieve for Polyphony Digital but since we have seen the museum sections appearing in GT Sport and the will of Kaz to include more and more playable historic cars in Gran Turismo, as players
I think we will be more and more taught about history.

I see these elements as clues to make the Gran Turismo franchise being more and more cultural and educative.

In the meantime we are at the edge of changing totally our motoring technologies, from motorsports to everyday cars, and soon a naturally aspired V12 Lamborghini could be seen only in a museum or occasionally on a track.

I think it is time to sum up that history and Gran Turismo specifically on the PS5 can be the perfect tool for it.

I'd like in the near future be able to turn on my screen and PS5 with a playseat to have a go with some of the most iconic cars in history, from the earliest Bugatti to the newest hybrid Hypercar.

And I'd like to learn about cars and history between two races.

What about you ?

Gran Turismo 4 is just that in my opinion: an encyclopedia. Soo many important and weird cars such as the Patent Motor Wagen, Ford Model T, Chapparal 2J, Mercedes 190E 2.5 Evo II, Auto Union Streamliner, Jaguar E-Type, Dodge Charger, VW Beetle, Mercedes 300SL, Audi Quattro, Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO, Shelby Cobra, Citroen 2CV, Honda Civic, VW Golf GTI, etc.

It's a relief that GTS changed the dealership into Brand Central, it puts the brand back into significance again like there (only tuning part name is left out currently like Mugen).
These official tuners need to come back to make the game a bit more authentic. Having a fictional tuning shop for all cars would be a real shame. If PD really wanted to go all out, they could give each tuner unique parts.

These official tuners need to come back to make the game a bit more authentic. Having a fictional tuning shop for all cars would be a real shame. If PD really wanted to go all out, they could give each tuner unique parts.
I agree. This is pushing it a bit, but I would love manufacturer’s aftermarket parts to have pros and cons, like a greedy cold air intake might get less airflow, but is lighter compared to an Eventuri intake being heavier but having more airflow. In any case, I would love to have name brand aftermarket parts...

Didn't Kaz say something about Gran Turismo being a car encyclopedia? About 10 years ago? When GT5 came out?
Not much has changed.

Actually the car count went in the opposite direction.

Agree with this. The diversity of car roster in GT series has been going a bit downhill since GT2/GT4 (I don't count GT5/6 standard cars as part of the equation because they are just GT4 car list copy pasted). I take a look at Forza's car list and it's more encompassing of automobile history, includes cars from every continent (virtually zero Australian cars in GT) and lots of motorsport series (TCR, Indy, IMSA, Formula E, etc). Meanwhile in GTS we got 2 Renault Clios, 2 Supras and endless VGTs with make-believe specs that isn't even fun to drive.

But anyway, I can make my own car encyclopedia now in Assetto Corsa with its virtually unlimited mods, so feel free to put 50 Skylines in GT7 Kaz ;)

Agree with this. The diversity of car roster in GT series has been going a bit downhill since GT2/GT4 (I don't count GT5/6 standard cars as part of the equation because they are just GT4 car list copy pasted). I take a look at Forza's car list and it's more encompassing of automobile history, includes cars from every continent (virtually zero Australian cars in GT) and lots of motorsport series (TCR, Indy, IMSA, Formula E, etc). Meanwhile in GTS we got 2 Renault Clios, 2 Supras and endless VGTs with make-believe specs that isn't even fun to drive.

But anyway, I can make my own car encyclopedia now in Assetto Corsa with its virtually unlimited mods, so feel free to put 50 Skylines in GT7 Kaz ;)
which is better in GT compared to Forza actually? GT has been a laughing stock from decades with Forza on the scene now. Forza lapped GT in everything.

And GT5/GT6 only has 1 Premium Skylines for generation, the one that they work on.

PD still include history and knowledge in every GT. The franchise continues to be the car game encyclopaedia.

Even though GT Sport has a low car count, the museum screen savers still pop up with cars many have never seen or heard of. Screen this bits of current cars in the market. Click on a car in Brand Central and there it is, a bit of info on an '83 AE86.

PD still include history and knowledge in every GT. The franchise continues to be the car game encyclopaedia.

Even though GT Sport has a low car count, the museum screen savers still pop up with cars many have never seen or heard of. Screen this bits of current cars in the market. Click on a car in Brand Central and there it is, a bit of info on an '83 AE86.

I'm aware of that ! What I was asking myself is actually if Gran Turismo 7 would be the most exhaustive game on that subject.

The fact that GT 7 would come back on a more "traditional" form makes me say yes.

But now that the standard of Gran Turismo to modelise cars has come close to perfection and requires a lot of time and ressources makes me say "maybe not"

I'm aware of that ! What I was asking myself is actually if Gran Turismo 7 would be the most exhaustive game on that subject.

The fact that GT 7 would come back on a more "traditional" form makes me say yes.

But now that the standard of Gran Turismo to modelise cars has come close to perfection and requires a lot of time and ressources makes me say "maybe not"
I'll bring back the AE86 as an example. All those Standard cars that were of semi-premium/standard-premium in GT6, it's possible. There are a lot of cars in that modelling phase.
I think all the Ruf cars are in that phase.

With the AE86, how much modelling from scratch did it take to remodel that car? I don't know. Maybe not as long as the standard six months. Maybe the cars were tweaked enough that time to.model is lessened. Something brand new like the RX-Vision could have taken six months. Sure did look like it, when revisiting the time from sketch debut to in game reveal.

The A90 Supra was from scratch, but that car was being modelled with Toyota. So, maybe certain cars were being modelled much quicker by PD.

Add the "contracted" modellers and they've probably been modelling many standard to GT7 cars. I don't know how fast a contractor can model a car to PD quality. The Honda S660 looks pretty darn good. Are there more than one modelling contractor? If so, it's entirely possible to see a GT4 car count, during the life of Gran Turismo 7.

We may just see the traditional encyclopedia of GT you're thinking about.

I'll bring back the AE86 as an example. All those Standard cars that were of semi-premium/standard-premium in GT6, it's possible. There are a lot of cars in that modelling phase.
I think all the Ruf cars are in that phase.

No it's not. They may have tarted them up a bit for GT6 but they were still single mesh models which have multiple limitations in what can be done with them. Those models are not going to be used again. Those cars are all going to have to be done from scratch, as they have been so far in GTS. There are no standard converted models.

The A90 Supra was from scratch, but that car was being modelled with Toyota. So, maybe certain cars were being modelled much quicker by PD.

They would've had all the CAD data for that car, and any modern car, making them much quicker. Older cars without CAD data, not so fast.

No it's not. They may have tarted them up a bit for GT6 but they were still single mesh models which have multiple limitations in what can be done with them. Those models are not going to be used again. Those cars are all going to have to be done from scratch, as they have been so far in GTS. There are no standard converted models.

They would've had all the CAD data for that car, and any modern car, making them much quicker. Older cars without CAD data, not so fast.
Yes. I know all the cars were from. Scratch. What I'm getting at are they may have been modelled quicker than looking at the die cast cars all over again. When did PD find the time to get pics of the interior of the AE86 and the rev chime? Again, I don't know. Maybe they acquired the pics and interior sounds over time. Not necessarily during GT Sport development. I don't know.

He never said they were modelling via diecast cars...

Interesting discussion though...

I don't know anything about the way Polyphony Digital can modelise cars, and if they get any external "help", but in my mind this must be a colossal work to get a decent amount of cars in a brand new Gran Turismo.

Yes. I know all the cars were from. Scratch. What I'm getting at are they may have been modelled quicker than looking at the die cast cars all over again. When did PD find the time to get pics of the interior of the AE86 and the rev chime? Again, I don't know. Maybe they acquired the pics and interior sounds over time. Not necessarily during GT Sport development. I don't know.

He never said they were modelling via diecast cars...

No, he suggested they may not be any more, and I agreed.

"Gran Turismo™ 7 builds on 22 years of experience to bring you the best features from the history of the franchise.

Whether you’re a competitive racer, collector, fine-tuning builder, livery designer, photographer or arcade fan – ignite your personal passion for cars with features inspired by the past, present and future of Gran Turismo™."

This is taken from GT7's video description, posted by the official PlayStation channel. Does this "collector" imply something?

"Gran Turismo™ 7 builds on 22 years of experience to bring you the best features from the history of the franchise.

Whether you’re a competitive racer, collector, fine-tuning builder, livery designer, photographer or arcade fan – ignite your personal passion for cars with features inspired by the past, present and future of Gran Turismo™."

This is taken from GT7's video description, posted by the official PlayStation channel. Does this "collector" imply something?

That the marketing department is aware of the Pokemon-esque appeal of the game to some players?

Back