World Series 2006

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 121 comments
Tommy Lasorda can shove it; I just don't really care about this series. At all.
I'm the same way. :lol: We all have few teams we like, yeah? When the World Series doesn't involve any of them, me personally, I lose all interests. With NBA Finals, just because I'm SO into basketball, it's little bit different, but I don't see anything wrong with what you are saying at all.

I told people this, and they all laughed at me. Especially when they told me that Tigers pitching is really young, and that the Tigers got hot pretty recently, and it wasn't like they were good, all season long. I tried to tell them that by sitting out extra 3 games or so, they might not be good enough to carry the momentum onto the next series.

Of the previous five teams to have a six-day break before the World Series, four of them won the Series.

Of the previous five teams to have a six-day break before the World Series, four of them won the Series.
I never claimed that Cards will win the series, because the Tigers had a break. In fact, this is what I said following my partial quote:

Me
I think it requires experience, or skill to come back "hot" after a break.

I'm not saying that Cards are going to take the Tigers to Game 7 or anything.
I don't even claim that Cardinals will take the Tigers to the deciding game. Just that I thought that teams coming back from long break will require effort to carry on the momentum, staying red hot. ;)

The Tigers have been in none of those Series. That statistic is totally useless.

Those stats are always retarded. Why does the media even bother telling us that since 1962, the Tigers have faced the Cardinals 8 times, and the Tigers are 1-7? It has no bearing on anything. A.) that's an incredibly small sample. B.) the current Tigers have never faced the current Cardinals. C.) no one cares. D.) Tim McCarver is ugly.

NOTE: I made that stat up if any of you are going to read anything into it.

Like when the Red Sox beat the Yankees in '04, people made it out like this thing that will never happen again in the history of the universe. It's not that hard to win four games. Seriously, they were pretty evenly matched teams, so the odds of one of them winning 4 straight is 1 in 32. How many times has a team gone up on another team 3-0? I don't know, but I bet it's close to 32.

Which team is he with, these days? They didn't play today, did they?

Kenny? Yeah, he's on the Tigers and he pretty much won them the game. Amazing pitching.

Sounds like it was a good game. I'm just sorry I missed it. :grumpy: Isn't Kenny Rogers supposed to be pretty old? A guy from my work was bragging about knowing Rogers from somewhere, but that was long time ago. Plus, he's really old, so I figured Rogers was someone close to retiring. :D

Like when the Red Sox beat the Yankees in '04, people made it out like this thing that will never happen again in the history of the universe. It's not that hard to win four games.

To win four games.. in a row.. in the playoffs... against a team like the yankees... starting with a 9th inning rally in game 4... against one of the greatest closers of all time. It is a big thing. It is a huge thing! And the chances of it happening again are low. very low.

Sounds like it was a good game. I'm just sorry I missed it. :grumpy: Isn't Kenny Rogers supposed to be pretty old? A guy from my work was bragging about knowing Rogers from somewhere, but that was long time ago. Plus, he's really old, so I figured Rogers was someone close to retiring. :D

Yeah he's pretty old. But I still don't like him because of what he did to the camera man like a year ago. Besides, he's a conceited son of a.....

Edit:
To win four games.. in a row.. in the playoffs... against a team like the yankees... starting with a 9th inning rally in game 4... against one of the greatest closers of all time. It is a big thing. It is a huge thing! And the chances of it happening again are low. very low.

Agreed. I'll never forget that series.

Ciao!

Yeah he's pretty old. But I still don't like him because of what he did to the camera man like a year ago. Besides, he's a conceited son of a.....
I had forgotten all about it, but now I remember.

What do you guys think about the smudge on Kenny Rogers' pitching hand that everybody is making such a big deal out of right now? I don't really watch too much baseball, but something seems fishy about the whole situation. On the front page of espn, it shows that he had a brown smudge on the same part of his hand during the ALCS as well.

Yeah, they were talking about that one on the local news last night.......

Ciao!

Yeah, they were talking about that one on the local news last night.......

Ciao!

:dopey:

I don't play baseball, but I know what extra grip on the ball can do(not that one!). I'm a poor 3-point shot in basketball, but with a grippier ball, I can look like Larry Bird.

Ohhhh maannn He did cheat. Damn just when I thought I couldn't hate Keny Rogers anymore, he goes out and does this...:grumpy:

He did cheat because he had "dirt" which I think is Pine tar on the ALDS and the ALCS...though is not very noticeable but it's there.

What a shame...I really hope he gets punished and rocked on game 5 of the WS. 👎

Ciao!

I'm not saying he definitely cheated, you never know what the substance could have been, since the umpire only looked at it, he didn't inspect what it was. It really is a mystery, and he did wash it off after the first inning of the game last night, which just happened to be his worst inning. It's hard to say what really happened or if he was really cheating, but you can bet something like this won't happen again.

Just wow. Did anybody see that throw from Zumaya, the pitcher, to the third base? :D Third baseman falls, while the throw is way off! Cards got double lucky! 👍

He was way to hyped on that play...he owned Pujols but wasn't able to finish up the job :indiff:
I'm so rusty on baseball, but everybody says that he should have thrown at the second base on that play. I think he freaked, when he saw how off-balance the third baseman was right before he slipped, then his throw came off too wide.

I guess the tonight's game is being rain delayed. I was looking forward to Suppan pitching tonight, so I hope they'll still play.....

This has nothing to with the World Series, but let's be honest, the Series ain't worth following this year anyway...

Only in America can someone be "angered" that an employer has agreed to pay them $13,000,000 for six months of work.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2639001

What a douchebag. I hate the Yankees and everyone associated with them.

He said the same thing 2 years ago when the Yankees wanted to trade him to the Mets for Mike Cameron. He said the exact same words, :"If I go there to play one year, there's going to be a problem". And that was one year after the Yankess had got him.

What an asshole seriously, I always disliked him, even when he was with the Braves (perhaps because they're Mets rivals too :P ). I just hope the Yankees find a way to release him, once he's a free agent, NO ONE will pick him out.

He's an Idiot.

Ciao!

I didn't even know he still played. :dopey: Yeah, I used to be a Braves fan, so I saw how good he was in the playoffs. He is so worth every penny.[/sarcasm]

Edit:
I honestly don't know how I forgot to mention the World Series. What a game. Even when the Tigers were up 3-0, I wasn't worried, since the Cards been hitting fairly well. I had to go play (basket)ball after Cards went up 3-2 around the 7th inning? Then at the gym, someone told us that Cards beat the Tigers 4-3, or 5-4 or something. Must've been very exciting. 👍

I don't even claim that Cardinals will take the Tigers to the deciding game.
And I take this back. :sly:

Dang it! I missed it!!

Cardinal players are hugging on the field right now. I forgot all about the game, until I saw YSSMAN's Tigers avatar in another thread. :ouch: :guilty: :indiff: :(

Oh, well. Congratulations, St. Louis and the Cardinals. 👍

St. Louis deserved it. The Tigers played like wrinkled ass in a pool of oil sludge. I can't believe they started that total loser Verlander.

St. Louis deserved it. The Tigers played like wrinkled ass in a pool of oil sludge. I can't believe they started that total loser Verlander.

Yeah, but the way Detroit played year long compared to St. Louis, I felt Detroit deserved to win it.

Oh well, it's not like I watched any part of the series.

St. Louis deserved it. The Tigers played like wrinkled ass in a pool of oil sludge.
From the 5 or 6 minutes of the Series that I watched, it didn't look like either team played particularily well. Some AAA teams probably could have won. I mean, when a team that won 83 games during the regular season wins the World Series...And, Tony Larussa looked bothered after they won. He is a soul-less prat.

And so ends another anti-climactic finish to the baseball season. At least we don't have to listen to Tim McCarver anymore.

Back