Worst Liveries Of All Time

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,105 comments
There was an article about this in a autumn issue of F1 racing, gave me some good laughs :)

Anyway, there is this one F1 car i remember from my childhood, can't remember which (think it is a Benetton) but it had those gay ass paint strokes on the engine cover.

275px-Gerhard_Berger_1986_Detroit.jpg

The B186?

Also, watch your language.

I'm thinking yes. Initially Benetton really wanted to be multi-coloured in order to somehow show off that they were a clothing company. As if people didn't know that already.

Well it looks really silly :P

I would've thought that wouldn't be allowed as the teams get given the tyres each race weekend rather than designing them themselves. I thought it might've been some weird way of differentiating between front and rears, but I don't remember seeing any archived F1 footage showing a grid full of colourfully-adorned cars >_>

Far too many colours and messy patterns:

MG-BTCC_2119510b.jpg

Red completely ruins it:

lotus-renault-r31-6w.jpg

Ugly car, ugly livery..again could probably do without the red:

renault_r29_2009f1carlaunch-470x313.jpg

Toyota's F1 liveries were all very lazy (their test car had a great livery though):

toyota_TF105_manu-05_017.jpg
that Lotus is IMO the best looking car out there...Aside from the McLaren which has the advantage of not having the stepped nose.

TopGearFTW

I would've thought that wouldn't be allowed as the teams get given the tyres each race weekend rather than designing them themselves. I thought it might've been some weird way of differentiating between front and rears, but I don't remember seeing any archived F1 footage showing a grid full of colourfully-adorned cars >_>

The painting of the Pirelli tires was very short-lived, just a few races into the '86 season.

Boo! The Benetton was a classic; okay, the 1980s were not a high-water mark for fashion, but still...F1 liveries were quite plain Jane for many years until they tried something different.

The painting of the Pirelli tires was very short-lived, just a few races into the '86 season.
You have been watching for the past year, right? Maybe Pirelli don't paint the entide sidewall of the tyre the way they did in 1986, but each tyres has a clear coloured band to let spectators and television viewers identify the compound.

I disagree. This livery is a major break from the Clinical designs on the Audi and Peugeot Total cars. This was, for me, the BMW Art Car of LMP1.

I'll agree it was different, just... too different in my taste. If there was a halfway point between that and the R18's massive dullness I'd be on with that.

Porsche956WBrun19850802.jpg

I'd like this one if it had more design to it, it comes off as too "in your face", in true Jäger style I guess.

Last edited:
I'll agree it was different, just... too different in my taste. If there was a halfway point between that and the R18's massive dullness I'd be on with that.

I'd like this one if it had more design to it, it comes off as too "in your face", in true Jäger style I guess.

I like this one as well. It's not busy like a lot of liveries. They tend to be the ones I don't like.

It's just orange with a word on it! It's not horrible, just boring.

This was before the era of control tyres. I remember Paul Hembrey being quizzed about the possibilities of doing this towards the end of last season. He referred back to the Benneton as proof that it would look hideous.

prisonermonkeys
You have been watching for the past year, right? Maybe Pirelli don't paint the entide sidewall of the tyre the way they did in 1986, but each tyres has a clear coloured band to let spectators and television viewers identify the compound.

I think I made it obvious in my wording that the team painted them, rather than Pirelli painting the lettering, which the tire supplier obviously does now.

Back