worth getting a racing wheel?

• Thread starter Chris123
  • 66 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
rickyboy123abc
sup guys, just wondering if its worth getting a racing wheel for the ps3 and not waiting for the gt7 to come out on the ps4, from what ive seen searching around the current wheels aren't compatible with the ps4 system, so im kind of at a dilemma, do i buy a wheel now and say a few months down the line gt7 is released and its kind of been a waste, or do i wait and see what happens, also if i was to buy a wheel for the ps3, what wheels do you recommend, im looking to spend no more than £90, so any suggestions id apreaciate, cheers guys

I would recommend the usual Logitech G27, I bought it and not regretted it once despite the extra price, but you certainly get what you pay for, which is a great Gran Turismo experience. Sony did say some time after the PS4 reveal that all current Wheels on the PS3 will be able to use on the PS4 after a few updates and patches.

Worth getting a racing wheel?

'no question'

Seriously though, yes, it is by far the best money you will ever spend, if you are into cars, driving and sim racing as much as myself, and most of the other serious GT players on this board.

I'm currently on a DFGT, which I can thoroughly recommend as a first wheel. I did kill my first one, but Logitech sent me a brand new one with no quibbles, and let me keep the dead one (FFB motor). The replacement has stayed strong for 2+ years and still gets daily use.

I'm waiting for confirmation of PS4/G27 compatability before I retire the DFGT.

Last edited:
Hey OP. . just know with Logitech out of making PS4 wheels, the chances of any of their wheels working on PS4 is very very slim. Honestly, its better to wait. or pick up a cheap 2nd hand one for GT6.
@ Macapaca
but the thing is, expect Logitech to NOT make the patch for it. Because they certainly arent going to do it for free and Sonys hands are tied.

Logitech DFGT= £80-£100 look in Argos first mate. Wheel Stand Pro=£85-£95 direct supplier advert usually at the top of the news page if it isn't Fanatec advert. Drool over the fanatecs but this is probably your best start if on a budget.

Look for second hand on e-bay if really in dilemma regarding PS4.

You can buy IKEA tables etc. but I found the wheel stand very robust. G27 version available.

Just do it mate, you'll never go back to a pad. Will take about 2-4 weeks to get use to so stick with it. And if you don't like, no real loss, and somebody would snap up that combo off you straightaway.

Loads of advice about wheels, someone is always asking this question. Use search for more info. You'll see the same answers people may give here. Just get it.

Yes.

I wouldn't enjoy Gran Turismo at all without a wheel, and I'm also relatively sure all current PS3 compatible wheels will work for PS4 (and GT7) eventually.
Like Macapaca, I also believe I've heard talking about the compatibility (Y)

I would also recommend the Logitech G27, or the DFGT if you can life without the shifter and clutch - if the DFGT is still cheaper.
I bought a G25 for GT5 Prologue in September 2009, replaced it with my current Thrustmaster last summer (2013) but it's still working fine.

@KilzoneStrife
Honestly even if Logitech is out and wont patch anything, it's only up to Sony to make sure the PS3 supported wheels work for PS4, the drivers etc. doesn't necessarily have to be different.
I don't see why they wouldn't do that, as it would only make more current wheel-users upgrade to the PS4.

Just to give another point of view:

I've had a wheel for several years and yes it's very nice but sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off playing with a pad. I tried it after GT6 came out and it was actually quite fun. I think the problem with a wheel can be that it pushes your expectations much higher and after a while can lead to you feeling that realism is lacking. I found that going back to a pad reminded me that it was just a game and that I needed to use my imagination which made the whole thing more fun again.

In then end the best thing to do is to give it a try if you can.

I'm assuming you're a student or something so don't want to shell out for something you later find you don't really like.

Hey OP. . just know with Logitech out of making PS4 wheels, the chances of any of their wheels working on PS4 is very very slim. Honestly, its better to wait. or pick up a cheap 2nd hand one for GT6.
@ Macapaca
but the thing is, expect Logitech to NOT make the patch for it. Because they certainly arent going to do it for free and Sonys hands are tied.

I don't mind if they don't do one for G27 for Ps4, if it's up to the same kind of quality and performance what the G27 has, i'll happily pay for it. I just slightly recall them talking about it on one of the after-event interviews

alrighty then, im gonna go with the g27 and hope it works later on with a ps4, if not then its not the end of the world, thanks for all the input, helped me make up my mind a lot quicker
I see you've made up your mind but I would have been in the yes corner for sure. The physics really come alive with a wheel and make the game so much more immersive. Tire feedback from a good sound system combined with the wheel feedback, make for a very intuitive driving experience.

alrighty then, im gonna go with the g27 and hope it works later on with a ps4, if not then its not the end of the world, thanks for all the input, helped me make up my mind a lot quicker

Genuine question. Are you still looking to only spend about £90 ? If so, i'd be amazed if you found a G27 for that much. That's be a complete bargain indeed :cheers: I would be proper jealous if so, seriously :) If you found a G27 for £90 that'd be genuinely awesome.

Like Scholesy above already mentioned, the Logitech DFGT for about £80-£100 is still an excellent Gran Turismo wheel indeed. I found my G27 for about £190, just before xmas, but i've seen them listed upwards of £270 in places at the moment. Also, as others, here, ahave already stated - whilst everything is desk clamp-able, definitely look to get a specific stand for whichever wheel you buy, later on down the line. So worth it :)

I'd recommend the G27/25 over the DFGT always, because of the clutch and gear shift, but they're still proper pricey. I had a DFGT for more than a year and it served me so very well. It's still a million, million miles above using the DS3 👍
Just make sure you mod those pedals if you decide on one :) Sponges FTW !

YES
you will be grouchy for the first 2 weeks that you got one - cause its a bit of an adjustment
but you will never regret it after, assuming you get a quality wheel.
I am very happy I purchased mine - it brought the game to a whole new level of enjoyment for me!

Wow wow wow wow yes! I got mine over a month ago (the logitech g27) and has been my best buy, ever? With the physics in Gt6, you get the maximum feel of the car. The only thing you're missing is the G-forces. It really does add a new dimension to your racing, like when I drove the mercedes vision GT car smiling to myself like a fool because of the experience.

G27 is £199.99 in PC world/Currys(if they have any stock left online). I haven't seen it much below that. I also second the wheelstand pro especially if space is relatively tight. I think they are about £75 on amazon. It is incredibly study(you will swear if you stub a toe on it)

Ole
YES
you will be grouchy for the first 2 weeks that you got one - cause its a bit of an adjustment
but you will never regret it after, assuming you get a quality wheel.
I am very happy I purchased mine - it brought the game to a whole new level of enjoyment for me!

So true. Don't be put off by the first few days or so, unless you take to it as a natural of course !
Persevere, because it is so, so worth it.

Yes, you should go with a racing wheel. My 2 cents on the subject is that with the Thrustmaster T500 being the Official wheel of Gran Turismo, it would be supported by the PS4. Unless,they go with a new wheel manufacturer. I believe that Logitech has discontinued making racing wheels (G27) so the only option would be the Thrustmaster. Having said all that, GT6 still supports the G25 and the DFGT and all of the old wheels that have been used in the series since the PS2. This also makes me believe that my G27 will eventually be compatible with the PS4.

It's an opinion. No need to back it up really, but OK. I use G25. I don't recommend wheel for GT6 because:
-It has less FPS and is less stable FPS-wise than GT5, therefore I'm getting even more lag,
-Cars are not more responsive but more twitchy, nervous - it's not a positive. Physics overall are worse IN MY OPINION than in GT5 - especially over the limit (drifting, powersliding et cetera),
-Slicks have godlike grip,
-A lot of setup changes doesn't work or work not as they should (full locked differentials won't stabilize car in drifting at all, cambers are just a placeholders which give less grip with more camber, springs rates for MR cars are joke),
-MR cars drive like horse carriages,
-Rally physics suck as always,
-I feel as GT6 is even more oriented to grinding than GT5

I personally get no fun from driving GT6 with a wheel in it's current state. It's horrible. I make GT parties with my mates from time to time. We always end up playing GT5. Sixth sucks so much that we even make jokes about it. We can't approach it sober tbh and we all have wheels at home, racing in iracing or rfactor leagues. So it's not like we are rookies. Five was not perfect at all but at least playable and fun.

It's an opinion. No need to back it up really, but OK. I use G25. I don't recommend wheel for GT6 because:
-It has less FPS and is less stable FPS-wise than GT5, therefore I'm getting even more lag,
-Cars are not more responsive but more twitchy, nervous - it's not a positive. Physics overall are worse IN MY OPINION than in GT5 - especially over the limit (drifting, powersliding et cetera),
-Slicks have godlike grip,
-A lot of setup changes doesn't work or work not as they should (full locked differentials won't stabilize car in drifting at all, cambers are just a placeholders which give less grip with more camber, springs rates for MR cars are joke),
-MR cars drive like horse carriages,
-Rally physics suck as always,
-I feel as GT6 is even more oriented to grinding than GT5

I personally get no fun from driving GT6 with a wheel in it's current state. It's horrible. I make GT parties with my mates from time to time. We always end up playing GT5. Sixth sucks so much that we even make jokes about it. We can't approach it sober tbh and we all have wheels at home, racing in iracing or rfactor leagues. So it's not like we are rookies. Five was not perfect at all but at least playable and fun.
Thankyou for your full and frank response 👍

I must disagree though.

" we can't approach it sober tbh" I'd try doing that first.

I agree with some of your points regarding broken tuning though. To me, the generally improved physics of 6 seem to have exaggerated MR handling (off throttle over done).

I think there's enough of a physics change from 5, that just means your gonna have to re-teach yourself how to score points skidding around some corners in a fluorescent Silvia.

scholesy1899:
-we always approach sober but end up drunk with sixth,
-with MR you are done at corner entry, corner exit, off and on throttle in GT6 - it's amazing how broken these cars are,
-I'm not going to teach myself something I know is incorrect

I don't care about points. GT6 is no fun for me - that's all there is to it. I wouldn't recommend buying GT6, let alone a wheel for it.

Genuine question. Are you still looking to only spend about £90 ? If so, i'd be amazed if you found a G27 for that much. That's be a complete bargain indeed :cheers: I would be proper jealous if so, seriously :) If you found a G27 for £90 that'd be genuinely awesome.

Like Scholesy above already mentioned, the Logitech DFGT for about £80-£100 is still an excellent Gran Turismo wheel indeed. I found my G27 for about £190, just before xmas, but i've seen them listed upwards of £270 in places at the moment. Also, as others, here, ahave already stated - whilst everything is desk clamp-able, definitely look to get a specific stand for whichever wheel you buy, later on down the line. So worth it :)

I'd recommend the G27/25 over the DFGT always, because of the clutch and gear shift, but they're still proper pricey. I had a DFGT for more than a year and it served me so very well. It's still a million, million miles above using the DS3 👍
Just make sure you mod those pedals if you decide on one :) Sponges FTW !

ye ive ordered one for £202, little bit more than what i planned but i see that if you want quality then you'll have to spill a few more pennies, im also looking into getting a proper stand later on but for now il have to make do, really grateful for all the advice, just wondering what you mean by modding the pedals, if you could give me an example so im prepared and dont mess it up before i get to use to haha :D

Honestly, unless you plan on playing another racing sim, no a wheel is not worth buying, because GT6 is not worth playing. I bought one for GT6, I haven't touched it in 4 months.

ye ive ordered one for £202, little bit more than what i planned but i see that if you want quality then you'll have to spill a few more pennies, im also looking into getting a proper stand later on but for now il have to make do, really grateful for all the advice, just wondering what you mean by modding the pedals, if you could give me an example so im prepared and dont mess it up before i get to use to haha :D
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-must-have-upgrade-for-any-logitech-g25-g27-owner.279149/

1000th post :gtpflag:

Last edited:
IMHO no, maybe I'm not into racing sims as much as I thought but to me, they only improve the experience a little bit beyond than what a gamepad can offer but that's about it, I see them as just a better input method but they aren't anything groundbreaking, I mean I can get 100 times more enjoyment out of the crappiest real life car I own than using the best sim in the world with the best wheel in the market, etc.

I play for fun, I could spend hundreds of dollars in sim racing gear but I don't see the point really.

Back