Worth getting an Xbox One for this game?

United States
USA
drtardis
A bit of background: I've been a GT player for a while, and I already own a PS4. However, GT Sport isn't really the game I'm looking for and I don't want to wait for GT7, especially since a game like FM6 already exists.

So, what are your thoughts? Worth buying the console just for FM6 and the future?

I find it hard to justify buying a console for just one game, but if you are interested in the Forza Horizon series too, then I would say go for it. Plus, if you buy and Xbox Live Gold subscription before the 15th of this month, you get to try the original Forza Horizon game for free via Games with Gold (be warned: you cannot download it with a 14-day Gold trial.)

In terms of which console to get, go for the new One S with a hard drive capacity of 1TB or more. Even if you don't need the 4K capabilities, the higher clock rate on the GPU means it will run games smoother than the original 'box.

I find it hard to justify buying a console for just one game, but if you are interested in the Forza Horizon series too, then I would say go for it.
Thanks for the input FT-1. I'm definitely interested in Horizon as well. I must also add that I'm looking at getting an old refurbished model for cheap.

I'm curious, how active is online right now in FM6? Also, it it pretty easy to find some good clean racing, or is it full of rammers online?

As FT-1 mentioned, some people find it hard to justify any console purchase for a single title. I got my XB1 largely for Forza, but it wasn't until the run up to FM6 that I got it, so I could enjoy FM5 and FH2 on it beforehand. I also grabbed PCARS for the system, and a friend gifted me Need For Speed.

To be honest, it would've been worth it in my eyes even if I stuck with just the Forza franchise, as I've gotten a lot of play out of the games. I use the One more regularly than my PS4 for actual gaming — the PS4 is our Netflix machine of choice — so on that basis I can't complain.

In terms of racing games, I'd say the One is currently the pick of the console litter. The only exclusive PS4 has of note is Driveclub: it's very pretty, but feels small and hypercar-heavy in comparison to FH2.

Also, if you're planning on sticking with a controller, the Forza games are very well-optimized for them. I really appreciate the rumble-effect of the triggers; it helps when you're running without ABS. If you're looking at getting a wheel, the waters muddy a bit. There're great options for either PS4 or XB1, but nothing that covers both anymore (with Fanatec's Sony support recently being pulled or patched out in games).

Getting a refurb for cheap is a good move: that's more or less how I jumped into the 360. 👍

I'm curious, how active is online right now in FM6? Also, it it pretty easy to find some good clean racing, or is it full of rammers online?

It can get messy online in the public lobbies. Leagues are a bit better, but even then you still find people trying to win the race at the first corner. Finding individuals you can race with makes things massively more enjoyable.

I recently purchased an XB1 bundle that included Gears of War as well of your choice of a few games with one being FM6, all for $250 (Costco has it for $235). I would recommend trying to track one down if you can't locate a cheap refurbished one.

I was long tempted to get one as I love the Forza franchise but decided to hold off until it came down in price. The bundle, Red Dead Redemption sequel rumors and FH3 got me to pull the plug.

If you are only interested in racing games I would say go for it if you can't afford a good PC. While you may be buying it for 1 game you at least know you'll get a new one every other year (or every year if you like Horizon).

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it, especially considering there is basically a new Forza release every year.

One more question though: is Forza's FFB worth giving up my G27 and getting an Xbox One wheel, or should I just stick to the controller?

I would, if I didn't already have one. I bought mine last fall, right after forza 6 came out. I don't have a ps4, and the decision between a xb1 and a ps4, basically came down to Forza and Gran Turismo, and I'm really glad went with the xb1. I started playing forza when Forza 3 came out, so I knew what kind of game I was getting.

As far as justifying it for just one game, like others have said, the 3 horizon games plus Forza 6, will give you hundreds of hours of racing fun. I'm not that great at racing games, but I've played a ton of them and I love them. I can say that Forza 6 is the best one I've played, with Forza 4 being right behind it. 👍

I'm so tempted to do the same.
I'm yet to move up to next gen but with the Scorpio (hopefully) arriving next year & if it's more powerful than the Neo, I may just have to invest :)
I've been with Sony / GT since day dot & frankly I think Kaz / PD have lost their way a bit.
I like what I'm seeing with Forza 6 so hopefully Forza 7 will be better & become my first entry into the series.

I just got a brand new Xbox One for $220 on Amazon. It's the 500gb White Gears Ultimate bundle. I got it for the exclusives, mainly Forza. While every else seems to be happy about the release of the S and upcoming Scorpio, I was thrilled about the price drop of the original lol.

I bought the Xbox One for FM6 when the game released last year. It has been very much worth it and it's still the only game I play on the system. That said, one year has nearly passed since then and the immediate future of the console market looks very different compared to back then. It probably helps if you're also interested in playing FH3 later this month.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it, especially considering there is basically a new Forza release every year.

One more question though: is Forza's FFB worth giving up my G27 and getting an Xbox One wheel, or should I just stick to the controller?

Have you ever played a Forza title before? Reason i ask is i've seen a couple of people who have bought an Xbox one, just for forza, and later regretted it. All of them have stated that they simply couldn't get used to the physics and prefer the way the cars handled in GT.

As someone who plays both i believe Forza has the better physics engine by a country mile but it's something to consider before you take the plunge, try before you buy in case it's not for you.

Depends I guess, if you're into mp races then yeah go for forza, if you're just interested in career mode, stay the hell away from it as it's pretty badly designed. No championship, only have to finish in the top 3 at each race and top 1 at each event.

Personnaly I bought a xbox one for forza6 and I regret it.

The fact that I could get Horizon 2 cheap + forza 5 and COD MW made it less bitter but still not really feeling like I spend my moeny wisely.

If you're into cars and simulation ("simulation") then the Xbox One is fine for accessing the Forza franchise.

I bought my Xbox a year down the track when Horizon 2 and Forza 5 came out and it was fine.

Now with Forza 6 its a fine way to spend $400.

The way I look at it $400 doesnt even begin to scratch what I pay in mortgages car payments and the like in a month.

If my Xbox were to die in a fire right now I feel like I got my value out of it.

Forza 6 right now, is a perfect time to buy with all the dlc out and you can dive in head first.

Actually I feel that if I had any sense I wouldnt buy Forza on release and I'd wait six months after to see the best way to play it. I seem to hit stuff first and then the content dries out before the cars are all out.

I feel the single player is what it is. They dont care about it that much given that single player isnt a real focus of many games now. Its all about getting people online.

Considering how i never owned an Xbox console until a week ago (always been a PlayStation player and also a bit of PC/Nintendo), i'm quite happy with it. I was going to buy the Xbox One S but that means i'd have to wait until December because well...Middle East Everyone!

So i had to buy the fat old bulky Xbox One with 1TB. It was on a discount deal for $317 ($357 was the original price) and i also bought a year Gold membership so the total cost was around $373. It wasn't cheap but definitely cheaper than when this and PS4 were launched. I'm currently enjoying Forza Horizon 1 and i'm loving it. Also i played some other games/demos like Battlefield 1 Beta. Didn't buy FM6 or FH2 yet because i couldn't find one used for cheap price.

I would say go for it if you don't have any problem spending that amount of money.

I'm in the minority. Other than PSONE, I've always bought a PlayStation console for Gran Turismo only. Dreamcast for LeMans 24, Nintendo Cube for automodellista and XBox for Forza.
Buying it just for Forza is good, as others have mentioned. If you desire, you can get the complete series on one console.

The high horsepower cars in FM4, did put me off that game. Even light pressing of the throttle, lit up the rear tyres all the time. Way different to what I was used to with GT. Hence, I skipped FM5. FM6 is vastly improved and definitely brought a smile to my face with the AI, cars, physics, customisation, replayability.

^^ Me too the other day:sly: I had the 360, went to PS4 for Driveclub, Pcars AC and GT7 (never came) so after the last delay that was what made me go for it finally as I felt I was missing out. I still have the PS4 for AC, Pcars. DC and my T300 wheel. For the time being I will use the controller as said the rumble triggers are great and the tyres help you know where you lose grip..I will hold off for another wheel as I only just brought the T300 end of last year (I just seen this can be used on the Windows10 PC version so I am really hoping for a patch or Turn 10 to say they will accept any thrustmasters). I Got a well priced new standard reliable Xbox one 500gb. I looked into the S but I didn't need the 4k slight game increase as Forzas of old tend to be very smooth/locked frames anyway and Turn10 are experts at keeping things smooth. I had also read a few vague stories (never know who to believe) on the in built fan of the new S being little noisy. I was very tempted for the smaller S but in the end I found this great deal of the old X box one, well worth it for the Forza Franchise alone, I have now invested in FM6, FH2 & pre-ordered FH3 Ultimate and got loads of DLC cheap too.

I can't recommend the car list, tracks, audio & replay options/photomode enough and hopefully the new Gen will be here in a year a two so I didn't want to go to overboard this late in the day.👍

It is stunning as well in the art/graphics and lighting dept. (rain, night and daytime) a few recent pics I would say on par if not better than other racing games.
Jaguar Monza.jpg Holden GTS Test track.jpg Nissan Z.jpg RCF Prague 2.jpg Huracan Rain.jpg

Last edited:
(I just seen this can be used on the Windows10 PC version so I am really hoping for a patch or Turn 10 to say they will accept any thrustmasters).

I'm wishing the same lol. I just had to update Win 10 to get the updated version of Apex running. I'm downloading as we speak. I have the T150 hooked up and waiting for this download to finish. You aren't the only one who's stuck with the controller on Forza 6 lol, but the way the game utilizes the rumble in the triggers amazed the hell out of me. As much as I love the DS4, the Xbox One controller just took became my favorite. Around the holiday season I'm going to go ahead and buy the TMX.

I'm wishing the same lol. I just had to update Win 10 to get the updated version of Apex running. I'm downloading as we speak. I have the T150 hooked up and waiting for this download to finish. You aren't the only one who's stuck with the controller on Forza 6 lol, but the way the game utilizes the rumble in the triggers amazed the hell out of me. As much as I love the DS4, the Xbox One controller just took became my favorite. Around the holiday season I'm going to go ahead and buy the TMX.

I don't mind the controller on Forza as that was how I played it on 360+ the photomode is also then easier all in one. I really like the idea of the rumble in the triggers on hard braking or turns. I also use interior view only and 'manual' gear changes on the controller on all Forzas I am using default X and B to change up and down this helps me hold the rev range on the limit and helps on many tight tracks for a better feel/times. I may get a TMX wheel yet just waiting to see what happens on the PC full versions. 👍

It's very likely going forward that most Xbox 1st party titles will be released on both PC and XB so if you could build a gaming machine instead. It's all part of MS's slightly bizarre one ecosystem plan, they are already offering a free PC copy of some 1st party XB games if bought digitally.

It's very likely going forward that most Xbox 1st party titles will be released on both PC and XB so if you could build a gaming machine instead. It's all part of MS's slightly bizarre one ecosystem plan, they are already offering a free PC copy of some 1st party XB games if bought digitally.

Another way of looking at it is a free Xbox version of the game if you buy the PC version. Supposedly they're also working on being able to stream PC games to the Xbox just like you can stream Xbox to your PC. These make the Xbox an attractive option for the PC gamer's living room.

Another way of looking at it is a free Xbox version of the game if you buy the PC version. Supposedly they're also working on being able to stream PC games to the Xbox just like you can stream Xbox to your PC. These make the Xbox an attractive option for the PC gamer's living room.

Thing is though why would PC gamers want effectively an inferior system? They could just connect the PC to a TV, most people do these days. I personally don't know anyone who sits at a desk anymore to use a computer, they are all using it on the TV in the living room.

Convenience.

Consoles may have taken on a lot of PC's inconveniences, but they're still more convenient overall... especially in a living room setting. Yes you can make a PC setup work in that environment, but only the hardcore PCMR crowd will find that option appealing.

The idea of an Xbox One in the living room will be particularly appealing to the more casual gamers who are perhaps just now considering PC gaming for the first time, thanks to Microsoft's strategy.

I have been really enjoying FM6 Apex and now Horizon 3 on my PC (with the T300). They both look stunning on the PC with much better AA/AF than the consoles could manage, and wheel FFB support is decent.

Trouble is, it's going to be a long year waiting for Forza 7 full release to come to PC... Apex is just enough Forza to feel frustration at the lack of collecting/tuning, tiny track/car list and no rivals fun :)

I bit the bullet and got an XB1 and FM6 a few months ago and I'm fully satisfied in making that decision. I got it mainly for FM6 and honestly even just for that one game I'd say it's worth it. I've been a huge GT fan all my life but felt let down at the PS3 releases, and FM6 was great in so many ways that those games were lacking.

But it's not like you have to restrict yourself to FM6 since there's also FM5, FH2 (which I've picked up and quite enjoyed so far) and now FH3, in addition to the usual multiplat racers like pCars and Assetto Corsa if you don't have a PS4 yet. If you're thinking about getting an XB1 then I don't think you'll regret getting one. FM6 is a fantastic game on its own.

"It depends" on how much do you value your game-time.
If you are a fan of the genre, any forza title can give you hundreds or even thousands of hours quality playtime.
So I say: do the math

I went for it and don't regret it. Have FM6 and Horizon 3. The console was worth it for me because I also came from a PS3. So, I hadn't upgraded to a current gen console yet. We also use it for Hulu, Netflix, etc. Forza is just icing on the cake. Even if I never bought another game besides maybe another edition of Forza when it comes out, I would be totally happy. Got tired of waiting on PD.

Back