Would an adapting to wheel guide be of interest?

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 48 comments
Italy
Italy
karsten_beoulve
I got a DFGT not long ago (about 2 weeks) and i've been helped by many kind guys and friends online, in forums and real life with many suggestions on how to improve using my wheel and getting a faster and more consistent driver... I'm not completely better than i was with a dualshock in all tracks but i'm getting there and on some tracks i'm actually quite faster. So...

I was wondering if such a guide would be judged interesting, needed, superfluous and if there's already one around. Also where it would be proper to post it

Yeah, it would be, I used a G27 for a while but I've been tracking in real life so I was already used to racing a bit. A guide would be supremely helpful due to the amount of settings you can apply to the wheel to calibrate it and get it the way you want.

I would read it as well. Posting it in the general GT6 forum would be okay, that or the sim hardware forum.

I got a DFGT too, about 1 month ago. My 1st ever wheel.
I'm already constantly better or at least equal with the wheel as with the pad on all my cars, and I wasn't slow on pad either. But then again I only play Nordschleife and I know that track with my eyes closed. As for the rest of the tracks in "career", it's a breeze to play with the wheel vs the A.I.

I already know most of the weaknesses of this wheel and I know why the G27 and the T500 RS are much better.

All that being said, I'm open to learn new things from others or to share my knowledge I have gathered so far.

I think it would be very helpful. I've been using a controller since GT1 when I was in 4th grade but want to get a wheel in the future.

I would be interested in reading it.....just got a DFGT about a month ago. It does make the game more interesting.....

i'd read it, im still weighing up whether or not a wheel would be worth it considering my rooms tight as it is between guitar gear and all my other stuff :P

Yeah I would be curious since I am about 3 seconds per split slower with my new wheel than I was with the six axis!

I would start it with, or subtitle it; You got a wheel? Be prepared to hit the wall, before unlocking your true speed..." Or something less corny.

But adjusting to a wheel is not easy and takes more time than most would expect. But everyone eventually gets beyond it. Helping people to get over it faster would be nice of you.

It really is surprising how much time it actually takes, but its fun and immersive with patience.

Golded 5-3 Goodwood on the second attempted after more than 40ish failed attempts to even reach the end of the track with a controller.

I got a DFGT not long ago (about 2 weeks) and i've been helped by many kind guys and friends online, in forums and real life with many suggestions on how to improve using my wheel and getting a faster and more consistent driver... I'm not completely better than i was with a dualshock in all tracks but i'm getting there and on some tracks i'm actually quite faster. So...

I was wondering if such a guide would be judged interesting, needed, superfluous and if there's already one around. Also where it would be proper to post it

You know, I did the same, I went from DS3 to DFGT, then later DFGT to G27 (not a big change).

All I did, which worked for me, is lap in DS3, then lap in DFGT, ect, and I just eventually got so fast with the DFGT, I could not keep up with myself using the DS3. I only did this with one track and one car, this way the only change was the input, and I do occassionally go back to a DS3 (mates place, too lazy to set up wheel, ect), but I know that if I'm struggling with it, I can almost always come back with the G27 and just smash my other time, depending on the length of the track, 2-3 seconds no problem.

Might just be me, and if there is enough demand for this guide I'll use it, but I'm not thinking that I personally need it, per se.

Last edited:
I think it could be good to have a write up people could see, may help some get started or get better with a wheel.

I tried a few different wheels over a long period before I finally switched to using a wheel all the time. My first was a cheap wheel spring loaded, not very realistic. I gave it away after about a week of fooling with it. My next wheel was a MS Wheel which I tried to use full time but it was to small and felt flimsy, I did use it when racing ovals but used the controller for everything else. I picked up GT5P a few months before GT5 release and really did not like driving with the DS so I decided to get a wheel but did not want to spend a lot of money on it. I got a DFGT and starting forcing myself to use it on GT5P. At first I was having lots of issues with countersteer but then I just got in one of the most tail happy cars I could find, turned off the assists and proceeded to spin out time after time after time until I began to get the hang of it - a couple of breaks in there to let the dizziness calm down ;)

Once I got a feel for it I wished I could use the DFGT on Forza it was larger, stronger feedback and not so flimsy as the MS Wheel plus it was 900 degree vs 270 on the MS Wheel. That is when I decided to go big and bought the Fanatec Turbo and then a set of Club Sport pedals,

I haven't used a controller for racing since the day the Fanatec arrived, its like a whole different world

Ok i'll start writing it down :) when it'll be out i'll gladly accept tips and suggestions from other wheels users and different wheels owners :)

The best 'adapting to a wheel' thread I've ever seen...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sixaxis-to-g25-1-year.115679/

This thread is one persons 1 year journey from DS3 to G27.

Maz (Synwraith) starts off as a decent DS3 user, and ends up D1G in the GT5 qualifier.

It's a great read and includes input from some other drivers making the transition at the time.

Great reading for anyone moving to a wheel.

Last edited:
i don't get what you'd put in the guide? maybe something like this;
chapter 1. practice
chapter 2. practice
chapter 3. practice makes perfect
not wanting to diss the op , but seriously its just a controller..:lol:

better make drifting guide for wheel users..
because I still can't seem to drift using my DFGT wheel! I got confused with the rotation and couldn't keep up because of its 900 degree.

A guide explaining the settings like deadzones and sensitivities in game + explain settings on the wheel itself like FFB, Rotation, Springs etc. for sure is handy 👍

Only problem is for finding the perfect settings is that it depends on personal taste, combined with which wheel you have, so there's no "ideal" setting.

The best 'adapting to a wheel' thread I've ever seen...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sixaxis-to-g25-1-year.115679/

This thread is one persons 1 year journey from DS3 to G27.

Maz (Synwraith) starts off as a decent DS3 user, and ends up D1G in the GT5 qualifier.

It's a great read and includes input from some other drivers making the transition at the time.

Great reading for anyone moving to a wheel.

This diary was the most useful thing I could have read when I was learning with my G25, def worth a read if you are just starting out.

I guess that topic linked is better than anything i could come up writing :P

maybe it would be a superfluous work

I think the most important things are
1: make sure to get the wheel and pedals setup to where they do not move around and are at a position that is comfortable to drive for hours at a time. If you are getting leg pain, arm or shoulder pain or back pain then you need to readjust your setup.
2: Stay with it, many people get discouraged when they spin out over and over and seem to drive much worse than with the controller they used before. Just stay with it and after a while things will improve and you will both have more fun driving and become a better driver.

Also while it is hard driving a tail happy car on a windy track with TCS 0 and SH tires is one of the quickest ways to come to grips with counter steering, drifting is not bad practice either.

Having moved to a wheel a few days after GT6 came out, I'd say a guide is not needed.
If you know how a steering wheel and pedals work in real life, you'll get comfortable within a couple days.

I have been driving in real life for around 40 years so for me, I don't really see the point. On the other hand, how you young whipper-snappers drive with a controller is beyond me :sly:

Back