Would an adapting to wheel guide be of interest?

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 48 comments
I've had a DFGT for a few months now and am still having trouble with it so any tips would be appreciated.
I think the main thing is not to put yourself in a harsh situation in the first place, if your going too fast into a corner ( unless your experianced) your gunna have a bad time..
Slow in, fast out, be smooth on steering.
be progressive on the pedals, (they're not an on / off switch) and you won't spin out (90% of time, lol).
don't go flat out to start with.. build up your speed through the corners and you'll start to find your rythm, you'll find your speed will increase naturaly..
hows that?

I think the main thing is not to put yourself in a harsh situation in the first place, if your going too fast into a corner ( unless your experianced) your gunna have a bad time..
Slow in, fast out, be smooth on steering.
be progressive on the pedals, (they're not an on / off switch) and you won't spin out (90% of time, lol).
don't go flat out to start with.. build up your speed through the corners and you'll start to find your rythm, you'll find your speed will increase naturaly..
hows that?

My problem is with tail happy cars - which at this point feels like anything that is RWD and also with recovering from getting a wheel off track. In both cases I'm having a hard time learning the right amount of correction to make.

Those maneuvers have become second nature to recover from with the controller, but to be fair I don't have the free time needed to really sit down and turn laps, so I do what I can here and there.

Well, after still getting nowhere near my usual (DS3) lap times on any track using my new T500RS, I just managed to gold Goodwood X2010 by 1 second (2 secs faster than my DS3 time)...

... hmmm.

Just wondering if anyone has done lap time tests with different wheels for comparison?

Well, thats a good question, I went from DFGT to G27, but I never really compared my times as I thought they'd be quite similar (both superior to my DS3 times for sure). And personally, even if my DFGT times were slightly faster, I'd probably still miss the metal paddles and better brakes of the G27 and wouldn't change back, but if the G27s were faster, wouldn't make much difference.

Well, thats a good question, I went from DFGT to G27, but I never really compared my times as I thought they'd be quite similar (both superior to my DS3 times for sure). And personally, even if my DFGT times were slightly faster, I'd probably still miss the metal paddles and better brakes of the G27 and wouldn't change back, but if the G27s were faster, wouldn't make much difference.

Well, Ive been thinking to switch from DS3 to a wheel, even tho I have no trouble getting golds with DS3, it just does not give any sensation of driving, so I looked at DFGT and G27, but just wondering if the G27 really worth the price mark-up.

Well, Ive been thinking to switch from DS3 to a wheel, even tho I have no trouble getting golds with DS3, it just does not give any sensation of driving, so I looked at DFGT and G27, but just wondering if the G27 really worth the price mark-up.
As I understand it, the G27 has better gearing and motors in the force feedback so it should be more robust. I have had my DFGT for over two years and it has been used near daily with no problems. Where the G27 really shines is the pedals, I can't use mine unless I am wearing only sock or bare foot, you just can't feel them. I hear the 27's metal and much stiffer, providing better feel. If you are not positive you want to use a wheel, start out with the DFGT, for the price it can't be beat! Whatever you do, do not get anything cheaper than the DFGT. I had one that came bundled with my PS3 and it didn't last two weeks, that's what I have heard about most other "budget" wheels as well.

I do not think a guide is a good idea because it does not tell you how to control the wheel. When I got my G27 I just turn on the blue driving line and practise to I was comfortable to turn it off which is far better than looking at a guide. And that is my opinion on this.

I think how quickly you adapt from DS3 to a wheel, depends on your driving style on the pad.

If you're a 'smooth' rhythmic driver using a DS3, ie. you stick to racing line, braking/turning/acceleration points, smooth inputs etc.. you should adapt well as the wheel will only help you be even smoother and more consistent.

If you normally play 'arcade' style, sharp inputs and getting it sideways a lot, throttle either fully on/off, you'll definitely need to change your driving style. If you normally use the external view, you'll have to switch to normal or cockpit view. You cannot use the same lines, braking or acceleration points as with a DS3. The quick flicks lock-to-lock on a DS3 don't work with a wheel. You can't catch or correct spins as easily, so it encourages you to be smoother and less of a hoon.

I'm a decent with wheel but I still get beaten by pad users. They can brake later and make tighter turns with a flick of the thumb stick. I watch replays where the winner was sideways thru some corners and taking lines I couldn't without high risk of spinning out.

I'm interested in this type of journal. I'm a kinda guy who believes with more knowledge makes you a few tenths faster than you were without. It's no point grinding aimlessly, with right knowledge you can improve your performance FASTER. I'd like to know every detail about the steering discipline, the way you grip, length between the wheel to your chest, the degrees of your elbow, the relation in positioning of your wrist, elbow and the center of the wheel etc.

While steering work is one thing, pedal work is entirely another. IMO, to be as fast as your talent allows, it's 50% steering, 25% throttle, 25% braking. I'm actually more interested in pedal part where I'm struggling ATM.

While steering work is one thing, pedal work is entirely another. IMO, to be as fast as your talent allows, it's 50% steering, 25% throttle, 25% braking. I'm actually more interested in pedal part where I'm struggling ATM.

Just a question for you...do you listen to music when you play? I love music as much as the next guy, probably more than many since I have been playing it for over 40 years, but there is no way you are going to be your best if you are listening to music instead of your car. The fancy foot work as well as steering input come from what your car needs and the only way to get that is to listen. In real life you have the feel also, "seat of your pants" driving, but in the game all you have to go on is the noise.

Just a question for you...do you listen to music when you play?

No, I never do and never did in any racing games I have played. I need to hear every sound to know how my car is doing. So when I listen to musics on library it's the unknown territory - I didn't know I had those. When I'm on menu I listen to them actively now because I paid for those.lol

I admit I can't deal very well with circuits that have vertical modulation, like Spa's Eu Rouge or end of Skyline at Bathurst because I can't feel the loss of weight on tyres. I can drive comfortably on flatter circuit because I get a lot of information through FFB and managing brakes is easier. I generally let my hands to catch the slide so my spine tells them to counter-steer before my brain realises my car is sliding, if you know what I mean:)

I wouldn't spend too much time on this. If you figured out how to be fast with a controller you will figure out how to be faster with the wheel.
Start on slower FF cars with stock tires, turn the volume up and music down. Leave tail happy cars for later.

A guide?... You just use it and get used to it. Seriously, a guide?...

Listen, the only difficultly about using a wheel is that your brain has not mapped the correct pathways yet. At first you don't instinctively know how much to turn the wheel for the movement you want. This can not be taught, only learnt through experience. A guide will not help anyone unless they are having trouble wasting the hours in their day.

The best 'adapting to a wheel' thread I've ever seen...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/sixaxis-to-g25-1-year.115679/

This thread is one persons 1 year journey from DS3 to G27.

Maz (Synwraith) starts off as a decent DS3 user, and ends up D1G in the GT5 qualifier.

It's a great read and includes input from some other drivers making the transition at the time.

Great reading for anyone moving to a wheel.
hey stotty. Thanks for posting the link the synwraiths thread. I'm about halfway through the thread and you are right. Good read. Ever since arguments about toe angle and what not months and months ago I have always held your opinion quite high on all things related GT5, due to your obvious speed due to accomplishments and your logical way of putting things. That being said. I have a question for you that I have not been able to figure out since I made the transition to the wheel (about 6 months ago) . I think some others may be interested in this as well... How the heck do you get a stock FF or AWD car to turn? Everyone is going to recommend a bunch of different things. Here's my bit of advice. Drive stock cars. Now that you have a wheel you have all the control all the aliens have. The reason I am telling you to drive stock cars is because that is what I feel will make you progress faster and farther. When I got mine I hopped right into my tuned cars made some adjustments as I went to help me stay on track. I now realize 6 months later that was a mistake. I have been setting up cars in a way that prevents me from really being able to master the game. So I'm on a new kick now. Driving stock cars. It's now my job to figure out the correct methods and inputs to keep the car at that perfect angle around the corner, instead of adjusting the tune to do it for me. Also, slap on those sport hards and comfort softs. Great fun now that you have pedals. And in answer to your question. I agree and disagree with what others have said about a quide being a waste and just to practice. I can't imagine there ever really being a guide as its more of a feel type thing. All you can really do is take suggestions. And again, I suggest stock cars, to improve you skill opposed to the tune. And something that will make you progress faster is to kick the car out sideways a bunch on purpose and try to catch it. Most will agree the hardest thing with a wheel is how much to counter steer the wheel during a rear end spasm.

Last edited:
hey stotty. Thanks for posting the link the synwraiths thread. I'm about halfway through the thread and you are right. Good read. Ever since arguments about toe angle and what not months and months ago I have always held your opinion quite high on all things related GT5, due to your obvious speed due to accomplishments and your logical way of putting things. That being said. I have a question for you that I have not been able to figure out since I made the transition to the wheel (about 6 months ago) . I think some others may be interested in this as well... How the heck do you get a stock FF or AWD car to turn? Everyone is going to recommend a bunch of different things. Here's my bit of advice. Drive stock cars. Now that you have a wheel you have all the control all the aliens have. The reason I am telling you to drive stock cars is because that is what I feel will make you progress faster and farther. When I got mine I hopped right into my tuned cars made some adjustments as I went to help me stay on track. I now realize 6 months later that was a mistake. I have been setting up cars in a way that prevents me from really being able to master the game. So I'm on a new kick now. Driving stock cars. It's now my job to figure out the correct methods and inputs to keep the car at that perfect angle around the corner, instead of adjusting the tune to do it for me. Also, slap on those sport hards and comfort softs. Great fun now that you have pedals. And in answer to your question. I agree and disagree with what others have said about a quide being a waste and just to practice. I can't imagine there ever really being a guide as its more of a feel type thing. All you can really do is take suggestions. And again, I suggest stock cars, to improve you skill opposed to the tune. And something that will make you progress faster is to kick the car out sideways a bunch on purpose and try to catch it. Most will agree the hardest thing with a wheel is how much to counter steer the wheel during a rear end spasm.
I love that you are asking for genuine advice.

I know I'm not stotty, but I'd like to chime in.

I'm guessing your asking how to rotate FF and AWD, stock cars, on stock (or CS) tyres.

In my experience, in real life, and GT6 (Moreso than 5), it's about weight transfer, managing that weight transfer and trail braking.

Most RWD cars like to be turned into the apex, then powered out with a little slip from the rear, helping to rotate the car out of the turn.

This driving style in a FF will normally result in understeer.

I tend to brake hard and in a straight line, but drag a trailing throttle, then as you turn in, simultaneously lift off of the brake, and maintain a steady throttle. A nice responsive FF (DC5 integra) will dive into the apex. Now the trick is to not steer into the turn too much. Only as much as is needed. It's hard to fight the urge to turn the wheel more if you sense understeer, instead, lift off the throttle slightly.

If you don't need to brake, I tend to time the throttle lift off with the turn in, to use the weight transfer to help turn the car.

A nice exercise is to go to streets of willow skid pan, and get the car into a nice balanced constant corner state, you should have a mid throttle position. You can play with the throttle and see what lifting off and applying throttle mid corner will do to the cars balance.

AWD cars are much better than in GT5, and if anything, I find alot of them have an oversteer biast.

The skid pan test is a great way of feeling a cars balance in constant cornering.

I also tend to feint FF and AWD (and FR) cars if they dont want to turn in to fast kinks. Dangerous in a race, but a great way to teach car control. A full throttle feint with a well timed lift off will see most cars very sideways Indeed.

My final recommendation is go to the Nordschleife, and don't leave until you are confidently feinting into flugplatz and the other flat out corners (in low PP cars).

Have fun and good luck! :gtpflag:

A guide?... You just use it and get used to it. Seriously, a guide?...

Listen, the only difficultly about using a wheel is that your brain has not mapped the correct pathways yet. At first you don't instinctively know how much to turn the wheel for the movement you want. This can not be taught, only learnt through experience. A guide will not help anyone unless they are having trouble wasting the hours in their day.

Totally agree with this, I went to a wheel from a DS3 shortly after GT5 came out.
Since then, I have owned and used a few different wheels, now on a T500.
The pedals are probably just as important as the wheel in my opinion.

Its like learning how to ride a bicycle, skateboarding, or windsurfing...
Learning from a guide is no substitute for learning by feel.

Different cars will teach you different things about tracks.
Try not to rely too much on aids such as TC, SRF, etc.
My 2 cents.

Back