Would you like to see the progression system removed for GT6?

• Thread starter Tapey
  • 79 comments

Would you like to see the progression system removed?

• Yes

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • No

Votes: 53 58.9%

• Total voters
i want career mode but i didn't want it from the current system

its better if we can create/join a race team, get sponsorship, had salary,calender system etc
thats goes for B-specs too

levels and stats just for the recruitable driver

No pointless boring grinding....

I'd like to see the horrid level system go, but I definitely wouldn't want to see GT Mode turned into a sandbox.

I think they should allow you to pick any car in the game you want for online races, but keep the normal progression for the single-player.

White I'm really not a fan of the levelling system in GT6, allowing users to have access to everything from day one and removing any kind of controlled progression would be disastrous for the game.

The backbone of any game is risk versus reward. If everything was available from the start, there would be no risks involved and no reward for winning, so why bother? 95% of users would play the game for an hour or so and then trade it in for something else.

Effectively it would stop it being a game and turn it into a tech demo.

At launch, but I didn't play at all between Feb-Oct 2011. But the fact remains that if you do the seasonals and race online regularly (or even occasionally), you won't need to grind.

No, you still very much do, because the game is still hopelessly linear. If you do the Seasonals and race online regularly, you're still grinding if that's not what you want to do at that point in the game.

In GT4 by the 25% mark with licences I could do almost any race in the game except the last event set. In GT3 I could do the same. In GT2 I could do basically anything except 7 races. Meanwhile, in GT5, you can't do any of the endurance races until you are pretty much done with the game, because even the best paying seasonal doesn't give you enough points to move the experience gauge once you pass 35. All the seasonal events and bonus multiplier do is cut out large portions of the grinding, but the grinding is inherent to the game so long as the game has level requirements for doing races.

As far as progression goes, it needs to go to a system where the only limiting factor is money. Maybe include slight bonuses, like endurance races being unlocked at X% completion like in GT4, and maybe hiding a couple racing series at the very end until you've done a higher percentage (say, 50%, since hopefully GT6 will be loaded with events as well), but no mandatory licence tests and no level system. Couple that with allowing all cars to be driven online in Arcade Mode guise, and you'd be good to go, I think.

Last edited:
B-Spec grinding is also very much neccesary. Once you get to level 35 you need to complete the LM24 Hours what, 7 times to get to Level 40?

The backbone of any game is risk versus reward.
Cannot disagree more. The entire point of a game is fun. I'd assume GT is fun to people who like cars and enjoy driving. I see nearly everything else as really annoying fluff.

The best games I own are pure sims with no progression what so ever. They have (relatively) large and devoted fan bases, and these fans typically occupy themselves with bettering their skill, or being creative (as most of these sims allow for sandbox style play).

If you want to relates things to risk/reward, where is that in GT anyway? It's impossible to not make money in GT. You could finish last in every race and still have the same garage as a perfect racer. Also, because you need to unlock stuff, focusing on just having fun is discourage. 24 hr race, you need to do it to unlock car X. How many people are going to go into the race with an "fair" car if they're racing just to get car X? How many would race it "fairly" if they were doing it for fun?

And where is the lack of reward for winning a competitive 24 hr race with a fair car that you actually wanted to do in the first place.

If everything was available from the start, there would be no risks involved and no reward for winning, so why bother?
The risk is not being fast enough to win the race, the reward is winning the race.

95% of users would play the game for an hour or so and then trade it in for something else.
I doubt this to the highest extreme. What happens when people beat all the (limited) A-Spec races anyway? The game just flies to the nearest garbage dump? There is an entire section of the forum dedicated to players using the closest thing to sandbox GT has, online. League racing.

Right now it's just a chore list.

Elastic bands on controllers I seem to remember, no thanks.

A dynamic rank for online would be a nice touch.
Wouldn't limit you access but reflect your true skill rank. Similar to Forza 3. Not needed really though.

I've said before I'm happy to earn credits to buy cars. I'm not happy to re run the same races over and over to unlock the privilege to buy a car or enter an event.

To some the game my very well be over once they've unlock everything. Go ahead chuck it in the bin.
To others the game may just be starting once everything is unlocked.

I think it's blatantly obvious the level grinding was added to try to add longitivity to a very small offline campaign. If the next game features a similar campaign expect level grinding to remain.

After reading these posts I'm starting to think that everything - all the cars, all the tracks with freedom to create events, tune cars etc - should be available in Arcade mode (obviously with full sim handling etc). And the career mode should be something completely different, like starting and growing a team and unlocking things as you go, via licences and investing in research to get new parts etc. That way the people who get enjoyment from career progression will be happy and those that want to tinker with set-ups, set up leagues, create their own events, do whatever they want will be happy in Arcade mode.

Maybe arcade mode will not be the right name if this is the case. But if multiplayer was done through the arcade section and there was complete freedom to create events with loads of different restrictions etc, then that would be great, but I also really enjoy progressing through a game and having an end to aim for (not that I often completely finish games!!!).

At launch, but I didn't play at all between Feb-Oct 2011. But the fact remains that if you do the seasonals and race online regularly (or even occasionally), you won't need to grind.

Nevertheless, I don't like the leveling system and would like to see it gone.

Agreed for the most part, but if you want to get to level 40 in A or B spec and to some people that's important, it's awfully tough to do without grinding. The other side of that is of course, that if you have to grind to get there, then it's kind of meaningless isn't it?

I could care less about levelling, I'd much rather see a rating system of some kind and all I want is a large variety of cars and to race online. I started a new profile a few months ago, completely from scratch, no grinding, and rarely race in Open Lobbies anymore and I have never wanted for cars. I only planned on getting about 100 cars that I would race with, but the money just kept coming in so I kept buying cars, and without trying to do so, now I have 100's on this profile. Just doing the Seasonals and some League Racing is more than enough to get everything I want or need. No I don't have every single car on that account, but I also don't need every single car.

White I'm really not a fan of the levelling system in GT6, allowing users to have access to everything from day one and removing any kind of controlled progression would be disastrous for the game.

The backbone of any game is risk versus reward. If everything was available from the start, there would be no risks involved and no reward for winning, so why bother? 95% of users would play the game for an hour or so and then trade it in for something else.

Some of the best racing games out there have everything unlocked from the start. This isn't COD we are talking about...

I would like the GT5 model flipped around. Races should require a minimum license. Races earn you cash and experience points. Licenses can only be entered at set experience levels.

Edit: The barrier for cars should only be cash like in GT1 - GT4.

Last edited:
wolfkts
I would like the GT5 model flipped around. Races should require a minimum license. Races earn you cash and experience points. Licenses can only be entered at set experience levels.

It was pretty rediculous that you can do the 24 hour races, with no licences! Stick with the original and best format.

wolfkts

So we would need to be at a high enough level to get a license that's then needed to do events? No thanks. Sounds worse than what we have now. We should have the option to get the license tests out of the way whenever we want, the way it's always been.

Last edited:
I guess if they give us a free mode and keep a game mode around, licenses as they were would be fine in that mode. But if they're going to force progression again, license should go. Instead have a driving school, you would only go there when you need help with something. If the goal is to teach driving techniques, this probably more helpful. And it would keep people who have played all 5 games from doing meaningless and repetitive tests, again.

But really we need a free mode for on/offline in GT. They can keep the old stuff, but don't make that the whole game.

So we would need to be at a high enough level to get a license that's then needed to do events? No thanks. Sounds worse than what we have now. We should have the option to get the license tests out of the way whenever we want, the way it's always been.

Yeah, this is probably a bit extreme. Like the point of this thread, I miss the days of starting from scratch and crawling your way to your first good car. Driving around in a '83 Honda Civic for a while made your first Racing Modified car all the sweeter. At least get rid of prize cars in the licenses. And no cash for licenses (if you received cash for lisenses; can't remember).

GT5's system was the only one I was disappointed in with GT2's system being my favorite. I really liked the HP limitations on races. Somewhere in between those two extremes is the perfect game.

Just give me an HD version of GT4 with a car update.

The best part of any GT game (for me at least) is the struggle at the start when you buy a cheap car, race it, win money & do it up. If anything, they should find a way of prolonging that aspect imo.

👍

VBR
The best part of any GT game (for me at least) is the struggle at the start when you buy a cheap car, race it, win money & do it up. If anything, they should find a way of prolonging that aspect imo.

👍

Yes!
This has some tangible value, progression of this kind is meaningful whilst xp and levels are absolutely not.
Credits and licenses, with seasonal progression is the way to go imho. You should be able to try and retain your title in a championship or obtain a higher license and move on. Licenses should only become available after proving yourself at the lower tier.

They need more spec-cups and highly restricted tuning series'. Winning, and winning credits and cars, should be reward enough. Ditch xp and levelling.

There does not have to be a "story" or characters, simply the progression from the lowest and cheapest forms of motor racing to the upper echelons. It should be a struggle at the beginning. Credits should be used to fund entries in to races too.

The longer it takes and the harder it is to get to jgtc and le mans etc, the more meaningful it is.

It was pretty rediculous that you can do the 24 hour races, with no licences! Stick with the original and best format.

No more ridiculous than correlating the intense rigors of endurance racing with basic car control, which is the only thing the licences ever really taught. If you're doing the 24 hour races in GT5 you've already put dozens, maybe even hundreds, of hours into racing; meaning you're already perfectly experienced enough to drive on a basic level. No reason to make you do things at that point which hold your hand step by step so you can "learn" it all again.
Licences are an increasingly anachronistic system for progression (essentially amounting to nothing more than a forced tutorial), and the series would be better off with them not being mandatory regardless of how the progression works for GT6. That was one of the few major changes that GT5 did right.

Particularly not for a series where so many of the people playing it are returning from past games.

ARGH, voted the wrong way, please see 'No' with one more then it currently has. Thanks.

The sense of progression has always been an integral part of GT and it simply wouldn't be a GT game without it.

The licenses would only make sense in that regard if they were actually more like real world racing licenses, where they're acquired not by doing mundane sections of track in 'tests' but earning them by taking part in all of the junior races and building your racing experience. So they would still be 'locked' as they are in GT5 but instead of a stupid level system to get to them you simply unlock them by completing all of the lower races with perhaps a few extra permutations rather than just winning. For the LM24 maybe you could have to complete several shorter races at the track first.

I don't know I'm just thinking out loud but I do like the idea of licenses being more akin to real world racing licenses somehow.

I'll like that type of system, but with how PD handled GT5's progression system, I'm afraid it will become another grind fest.

I'd like a more in-depth career mode.

Kind of similar to how GT4 was ran except maybe have a fictional racing series season.

Like a 10 race championship (With strict restrictions of course for competitiveness) for Nascar, Super GT, DTM, FIA GT, etc.

More 1-make races and special events.

I like starting from scratch and then building from there. Make me choose what to buy carefully with my credits instead of "Bahah lawlz herez everythingsss!"

I hated, but also loved the old licensing system. Make drivers that want to compete in these certain events pass the test so that at least they can be competitive. I would also like that implemented in online. (restrict people that don't have the S license or A-I license...it would take some of the stupidity out)

Yet the best ones, GT and Forza, don't. Imagine that.

Best in what way? Certainly not in simulating how racing actually works. By far, that's usually better covered by games that don't bother with progression.

I don't want to see the license system go. However, the tests as they are are far too easy.

The tests should be more than making one turn using the driving line, they should scrap the "gold, silver, bronze" design and simply have it be "passed, failed". Each test should be more rigorous and lengthy, and it should be at least somewhat difficult to pass so you actually have to learn something and drive right to be able to beat each test. And there should only be around 3-4 total licenses as a result, with the first one being fairly simple and the last few being very challenging.

Back