Would you prefer Gran Turismo 7 or an updated GT Sport for PS5?

• Thread starter Magog
  • 328 comments

GT7 or GT Sport?

• Total voters
I don't recall any other game releasing so much content DLC for free for 2+ years straight and without any microstransations.

PD is giving GTS great support but they need to make money. A new game is the way to go imo. Not to mention the potential for the next GT game to sell PS5s.
A new Racing game from PD with paid DLC is the way to go and I will support that. GT Sport along side GT7 on PS5 will work, because GT Sport will be mainly online stuff while GT7 will be a lot of offline content, and then 6 to 8 months later GT7 will take over all online stuff from GT Sport.

And if some people didn't like GT7, they can still play GT Sport in PS5 via backwards compatibility.
As long as they keep the servers on, because without the servers, there is not much of GT Sport of use, compatible with the PS5 or not. ;)

I would assume that they may try to integrate the the online racing aspect of the new game with GT Sport in some way, if it is possible.

As long as they keep the servers on, because without the servers, there is not much of GT Sport of use, compatible with the PS5 or not. ;)

I would assume that they may try to integrate the the online racing aspect of the new game with GT Sport in some way, if it is possible.
That's the thing when PD launches a new GT title. Usually, they'll announce servers for the outgoing game will be offline once it happens.

I bought the ps4 when it released only for the gran turismo, luckily I read about it before the actual game was released so I sold my ps4. I'll deffinatelly buy a ps5 only if they release gran turismo with a full offline career mode, otherwise it won't be worth it and I'd get bored. It's not just about racing for me, getting some licences can take hours or days and it really does make you a better player. I got really good at it and the drifting ones were my favourite, drifting around some of the corners. I'm not into playing online games but it would be nice to be able to race your cars against other family members online, I won't play this online with random people because I know I won't enjoy it.

Also I don't always pay for the online Internet as its not worth it if all I do is play them offline so it'll need to be able to save my progress offline.

I think there going to online gaming more as that's where the money is, to tempt us to buy online content, so there will always be those that are not actually winning but there buying there way thru the game.

I’d be down for direct porting of GTS over to ps5.
I have no interest in much except more cars and tracks to race them on and physics enhancements and customizable hud and a working pen system.
I’ve no interest in solo play at all against Ai.
Other games have great ai if a person likes that.

I don't have anything against GT7 if it still features a sport mode with daily races, FIA cups and whatnot. If it's not included, then GTS would very likely be updated for PS5. Don't see any reason for them to suddenly ditch it.

I always enjoy a good single player campaign in a racing game with objectives and challenges, even though racing against AI is not as fun as against real people. I don't need every race to be online, sometimes I just want to relax a bit and have an option to at least pause a game.

What I expect from GT7 is definitely more tracks, better car variety (more unique fun to drive cars). As a person who never played Gran Turismo before Sport I really want to taste that famous GT career mode. Disappointed they never did a full Gran Turismo game for this gen, but oh well. I hope they are working on that AI out there at least.

Making a way to do career events against real people could be a cool feature as well, but don't think PD will go for something like this. Implementing this is not an easy thing to do.

I think I want to see GT7, but with a successor to Sport Mode. There could be new classes, like a Gr.1V for the older prototypes and Gr.3V for older grand tourers, and plenty of cars that could be added to the other groups. For example, even if the new Lamborghini VGT ends up in Gr.1, I'd love to also see the older Countach QVX Group C car as a potential Gr.1 alternative. There could also be more online championships beyond the FIAGTCs and Supra Cup, each with interesting regulations. Imagine various GT campaign events, like Boxer Spirit, being represented as Daily/Weekly races, or even an entire championship?

There's just a lot that could happen, given how long PD has likely been working on this, and how much they've expanded. There's a lot of potential to expand on stuff seen in GT Sport, like the companion app, the in-game social network it has, or the livery editor. That's also before we get into stuff that could return from older games, like the track creator.

On the other hand, I don't know if the Lewis Hamilton content will return, as I don't know what sort of licensing costs are associated with that - including the ability to have the W08, and the LH Edition Mercedes-Benz VGT from the DLC. In an ideal world, I'd love to see all the "special guest" cars return, between the W08, and the cars used by Jeff Gordon, Sebastien Loeb, and the Sebastian Vettel X2010. That also would include the Senna content, but as I said, I really don't know how much all this would cost in licensing. But the cars themselves I think would be enough for me. And the two Ferrari F1 cars from GT5 would be great, too.

My personal bet? I think some sort of revived rally/hillclimb component is next, given that the only real-world Gr.B car is a Pikes Peak car, PD has the rights to the course itself, and we already had a hillclimb course with Goodwood, which I'd also like to see return. I could see it working well as an evolved form of the Sport Mode time trials, where you could be tasked with a relatively random car (or category) to use on a given course, with prizes depending on your position within your region.

But overall, I don't think you hire the positions that PD has been searching for (like the UI designer from some Ridge Racer games, or a mobile app developer) for a mere PS5-enhanced version of GT Sport. I think GT7 is next.

Last edited:
I bought the ps4 when it released only for the gran turismo, luckily I read about it before the actual game was released so I sold my ps4. I'll deffinatelly buy a ps5 only if they release gran turismo with a full offline career mode, otherwise it won't be worth it and I'd get bored. It's not just about racing for me, getting some licences can take hours or days and it really does make you a better player. I got really good at it and the drifting ones were my favourite, drifting around some of the corners. I'm not into playing online games but it would be nice to be able to race your cars against other family members online, I won't play this online with random people because I know I won't enjoy it.

Also I don't always pay for the online Internet as its not worth it if all I do is play them offline so it'll need to be able to save my progress offline.

I think there going to online gaming more as that's where the money is, to tempt us to buy online content, so there will always be those that are not actually winning but there buying there way thru the game.
I think its only 19.99 right now. You should grab it.

What if they call it Sport 2? I bet everyone freaks out. Kaz said you coukd call GT Sport GT7. I dont think there will be a 7. I think they will call it something else. Besides the numbers get old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer a proper numbered entry without a doubt. Lately I have been thinking though that, with PS4 and PS5 sharing the same system architecture, GT7 might actually be a multiplatform title. However since Sony announced some time ago that it will be their main priority to move over as much of their PS4 playerbase to PS5 as possible, the chances for this are slim.

Wouldn't GT7 just be an updated GT Sport anyway? The new game is surely being developed upon the GT Sport code, because we've seen GT Sport assets on PS5 devkits. They aren't building the game from the ground up.

What if they call it Sport 2? I bet everyone freaks out. Kaz said you coukd call GT Sport GT7. I dont think there will be a 7. I think they will call it something else. Besides the numbers get old.
You can scrap Sport 2, and there will be a GT7 on PS5 and I am 99.9% sure on it.

GT7 and GT Sport natural evolution would be GT7's multiplayer mode they just call it Sport Mode and keep all of its improvements that way we can have both.
I mean there are those who always have something to prove and want to compete all the time then there's Sport mode But for people like me who just wasn't that competitive and have don't the thirst to beat me and other peoples lap times daily then a classic GT style needs to return.
GT Sport just gives off this "You don't have what it takes" vibe going on every time I just want to relax driving around and not touching Sport mode it makes me feel bad being "lazy" in the game while any older GT games never gave me that vibe,not even that time limited GT4 demo and GT4 Prologue.
Also your cars and liveries can be carried over to the Sport mode in GT7 but cars will be separated from GT7 car progression so no one will get a head start.

GT Sport just gives off this "You don't have what it takes" vibe

That is my exact feeling every time I try Sport Mode. I don't have the time to put in the practice required to be as competitive as I'd like to be on it. As such I tend to avoid it mostly. I do go on if one of the Daily Races is a class I like (GR.2) and I've had some good races with it but I never finish that well. And I haven't raced any friends in a lobby for a while as most of them have moved on. Might need to get some new ones!:lol:

A brand new game with a proper, new career mode though, that appeals to me. But I don't doubt for a second that Sport Mode will be included in one way or another. The popularity of it is undeniable and that's great. But I will probably mostly ignore it as I do now.

Personally, if Gran Turismo 7 had the physics of Assetto Corsa/Competizione, the career progression and adjustable AI aggressiveness of Project CARS 1 & 2, the visual graphics and livery editor of GTS with the various events & challenges of Gran Turismo 1-6 then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Personally, if Gran Turismo 7 had the physics of Assetto Corsa/Competizione, the career progression and adjustable AI aggressiveness of Project CARS 1 & 2, the visual graphics and livery editor of GTS with the various events & challenges of Gran Turismo 1-6 then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
We do need a new Racing game from PD, because GT Sport is getting to old now.

GT7, just as long as it doesn't have stupid arcade-style vibration FFB effects when cars understeer. Oh, & Shuffle racing from GT5 added back in.

I'd rather they just update GT Sport into GT7. Add features that are missing, more tracks, cars, an offline patch, and overhaul the GT League.
VBR
GT7, just as long as it doesn't have stupid arcade-style vibration FFB effects when cars understeer. Oh, & Shuffle racing from GT5 added back in.
Now that we got 300+ cars shuffle racing would be fun.

I'd rather have Sport but PD desperately needs to reign in the focus towards the race cars. A new offline career structure should be built around them as well as overhauling Sport Mode for online.

A mainline GT7 returning to the old Car-RPG genre will just mean going back to the confused and directionless mess that dogged GT5 and GT6.

The physics of GT has a lot of room for development in terms of realism, but in my opinion it should not copy AC or AC Competizione.
I agree. I say copy the car list and offline options, not the physics.

In AC:

- I can name/rename the AI
- choose 15 individual cars for AI(F1 car vs MX-5 Cup vs DTM M3 vs Alfa Giulia road car, etc)
- Choose readymade point structure
- choose number of races for championship
- optional practice & qualifying, length of time
- no rain conditions, but I can choose type of track surface

The next GT game could just slide the current online lobby options to the Arcade Mode Custom Race.

Last edited:
Well, since they probably wont ever craft a compeling and engaging single player campaign, grounded on actual motorsports rules and realities, I'll take an updated Sport for PS5, or even a "GT Sport 2", if there is such a thing.

GT Sport 2 is not going to happen but there will be a Numbered game, and there will be an update for GT Sport for PS5 because of the console being a backwards compatible.

A mainline GT7 returning to the old Car-RPG genre will just mean going back to the confused and directionless mess that dogged GT5 and GT6.
What? I didn't find it confusing in the slightest. One of the best things about the old GT games is being able to choose what you want to do, and there's nothing wrong with that. Giving people freedom and allowing them to play their way is the whole reason why they're drawn to GT in the first place...

Imo, all they have to do in their next game is to make a single player version of Sport mode. Implement all the good features into single player experience. There should be qualifying, point system, race regulations, visual and mechanical damage, group cars, etc. A single player experience that doesn't force or encourage the players to win every single race but instead gaining points to qualify to the next race. And they should get rid of that star system like in GT6 that thing was lame.

Last edited:
Definitely a new GT. This looks to be the biggest console generational leap since the original PlayStation so will be exciting to see what they can do with the hardware given it allows them to do a lot of things they simply couldn't do before. Hopefully before or on June 4th, get to see a trailer and gameplay so can see in what areas they have improved the physics. They should be able to model in more dimensions so they should be able to get rid of gamey nature of going over kerbs in say last sector of Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.

I wonder if they have managed to implement tyre model they're working with Michelin already. It will be awesome if they can pull that mechanical feeling and dynamic nature of a car like the resistance when turning, tyres and suspension loading up, car bottoming out, hesitations, progressiveness when the car slides as well as the abruptness when you get the weight transfer wrong. If they can make tyres sound realistic finally, make tracks come alive, engines sound to have that rawness to them and with next-gen VR and visuals, it will be glorious. AI improvements might make GT career mode worth completing too. Hopefully geometry engine capabilities help GT to hit 120Hz and beyond.

If they can do realistic damage modelling, that will add to the racing fear element so if you bang wheels and get damage, you might end up in the wall rather than ping ponging and resuming.

Hope they can top at least iRacing in all areas as that seems popular among pros even though it drives largely the same as it probably did over a decade ago so no excuses this time as the PS5 runs rings around the best gaming PCs currently available in a lot of areas and probably the hardware most F1 teams' simulators utilise.

Mark Cerny has architected a GOAT tier futuristic console which looks like it will dominate console market. Probably biggest technological advantages a PlayStation platform has enjoyed over competing platforms, incredible job by the team on outright trying to make it the best place to play and moving the game on (Master race). Seems like a generation ahead of the competition in a lot of areas. Probably be first console platform to break 200 million sales so that should also result in seeing biggest sales of GT games and more of them given the ease of development the platform allows and the potential to improve the game in all areas with bigger development budgets.

Back