Would you prefer Gran Turismo 7 or an updated GT Sport for PS5?

• Thread starter Magog
  • 328 comments

GT7 or GT Sport?

• Total voters
I only bought a PS4 for Gran Turismo, and whilst I have a few other 2nd hand PS4 games, GT Sport is the only game I play regularly, and that is mainly for the Livery Editor. I didn't realise before buying how much GT Sport would rely on being connected to the internet, and how little content there was actually in the game before I bought it, and the console. :confused: :rolleyes:

If the next Gran Turismo is an updated GT Sport, then I probably won't be buying the new game and the new console any time soon. I would wait until they turn off the servers for GT Sport, and hopefully by that time the GT game and console would be a lot cheaper than at release.

There is no reason why a 'proper' Gran Turismo can't incorporate both the best of the traditional games that have gone before, and the online racing element of GT Sport imho.

If that were to happen, I would hope that the need to be constantly connected to the PD/Sony servers to have any useable content is limited to the online aspect of the game, and also that more of the data/backup can save to the console. I have a 1Tb PS4 with hardly any space used, but because of the way GT Sport is set up, I have run out of space in the game because the game space is on the PD/Sony servers. :banghead: :rolleyes:

GT Sport with larger grids and qualifying in custom race mode. I’ve said this before but it’s worth repeating, the ai in custom race mode is terrific. I had a really good battle for 3 laps with an ai opponent yesterday before he pitted, in an hour long race at Laguna Seca.

Watch YouTube I see many videos saying GT7 will come on the PS4 which is great because like many I not buying the ps5 until price drop & only if I can bring my wheel over .
If I have I would rather spend money on a PC than buy a ps5 & new wheel setup.

GT7 for the PS4? :confused:

Well, only if PD could release another GT title for the said console, just like what they did with previous generations.

It's the worst for those of us who played past GTs for the selection of cars and tuning.

GT Sport is only the best if you only want to race Gt3 cars online.

Agree seems GT sport online racing is focused mainly on the GT3 and GT4 class of cars. Just gets old after awhile, especially knowing there is wide range of car content. Having only 3 daily sport races to choose from each week is frankly dull. 6 would be much better with 3 of them having offset times from the others. I would certainly participate in more, but seems like most times when might want to run one. Have to wait 10 to 12 minutes and not really interested in waiting. I would also like to see mini FIA events or other sanctioned events maybe tailored to beginners and or novice players that have a life beside GTS.

Agree seems GT sport online racing is focused mainly on the GT3 and GT4 class of cars. Just gets old after awhile, especially knowing there is wide range of car content. Having only 3 daily sport races to choose from each week is frankly dull. 6 would be much better with 3 of them having offset times from the others. I would certainly participate in more, but seems like most times when might want to run one. Have to wait 10 to 12 minutes and not really interested in waiting. I would also like to see mini FIA events or other sanctioned events maybe tailored to beginners and or novice players that have a life beside GTS.
The one gets old harder is offline single player

I'm bored by GTSport. At this point, it's not even a matter of cars or tracks, it's the game itself. And I can't believe there are more cars in GTSport than Gran Turismo 3.
Another update, even on PS5, won't change that feeling, all I want is a classic GT with modern features. I understand that the task is huge, Poly have to update many standard cars and tracks from the old GTs. We'll see at the next Playstation Meeting but I hope Poly will be there. I love the quality of 3D models in GTSport and the free DLCs, I just don't like this game. Where is my 300 km endurance race at Grand Valley? :(

Honestly, I bought GT Sport about a week ago, I'm sitting at level 20 something in the single player b/c I just don't play online games, and it's severely lacking compared to GT5, which I thought was the best GT ever.
Based on that, what I really want is more GT5 but better graphics, ability for more cars on track for the Endurance Races, and really that's all I need.

I still fire up GT5 weekly just to run the 4 hr Nurburgring, or the two 24 hours races because of how enjoyable they are.

I totally understand that eSports is a thing and that many many people really enjoy racing others online and I sincerely hope that GT "next" keeps that functionality, I think it's important for the future of the franchise, but please please please give me 30 (or even more!) AI cars on the 'Ring or Le Mans and let me go nuts for 24 hours.

For me, the most replayability and the reason I stay engaged with a racing game like GT (or Project Cars) is in the Endurance races off line. Tweaking my set-up so that I'm fast enough to win but it's close enough to be engaging is my sweet spot. Sitting in my darkened living room while zooming around Le Mans at 3 am waiting for the sun to come back up is just sublime. So without 24 hour endurance races GT Sport is just not for me.

The one gets old harder is offline single player
To be honest, this is just based on one's personal preference. But recently, the amount of attention PD has given to it may have an impact, too.

That was one of many videos I have seen but.

Never believe the things that you see on YouTube.

You say never ok, I guess you mean video to do with gaming.

YouTube is like most things in life, you take in some keep eye on other, bit always try understand other people view even if it's not yours.

YouTube is like most things in life, you take in some keep eye on other, bit always try understand other people view even if it's not yours.
Videos in general but your Video you place in this thread it looks like bit & pieces of GT Sport, and if it was bit & peaces of video of GT7 it will have a combination of past, Present, and the future, and your video has not got that.

Regardless of how GT7 turns out to be. It will be interesting to see how the next versions of GT, Forza and Project Cars turns out.

I am going to try and wait n see what developes, before deciding on my next race game console or most likely computer. I think going with a computer, maybe high end laptop will be a better option.

If Forza motorsports releases FM7 with all add on cars on the disc. I would consider getting xbox just to play that or go ahead and get a computer.

Last edited:
Honestly, I bought GT Sport about a week ago, I'm sitting at level 20 something in the single player b/c I just don't play online games, and it's severely lacking compared to GT5, which I thought was the best GT ever.
Based on that, what I really want is more GT5 but better graphics, ability for more cars on track for the Endurance Races, and really that's all I need.

I still fire up GT5 weekly just to run the 4 hr Nurburgring, or the two 24 hours races because of how enjoyable they are.

I totally understand that eSports is a thing and that many many people really enjoy racing others online and I sincerely hope that GT "next" keeps that functionality, I think it's important for the future of the franchise, but please please please give me 30 (or even more!) AI cars on the 'Ring or Le Mans and let me go nuts for 24 hours.

For me, the most replayability and the reason I stay engaged with a racing game like GT (or Project Cars) is in the Endurance races off line. Tweaking my set-up so that I'm fast enough to win but it's close enough to be engaging is my sweet spot. Sitting in my darkened living room while zooming around Le Mans at 3 am waiting for the sun to come back up is just sublime. So without 24 hour endurance races GT Sport is just not for me.

You can make as many endurance races as you want in custom races offline.

YT videos can only give us idea what to expect for the next few years about the future GT title. It's better to wait an official announcement of the game maybe next year.

YT videos can only give us idea what to expect for the next few years about the future GT title. It's better to wait an official announcement of the game maybe next year.
In that video it says GT7 will be on PS4, I can not see that happening can you.

In my opinion, The next Gran Turismo needs to exceed the capabilities of GT Sport and truly capitalize on the Playstation 5's power.

It would be pointless to scale back the next game's features for the sake of including those who choose not to migrate to the next gen console.

My hope is that the next GT adds:

• A traditional "career" feature (with drastically improved AI performance).
  • Larger grids in custom on-line lobbies and Sport Mode.
  • Time of day transition and weather.
  • Car customization via GT Auto.
  • Improved class system with better BoP.
  • More driver appearance customization.(for example: vintage driver suits and helmets)
  • Option to place tire decals on any car.
  • Vintage style tire decals like what we see on the Shelby Daytona on the default livery.
  • The return of the Classic fictional tracks-all of them updated.

We are still quite a way out from the release of the next console. Plenty of time to plan the purchase of it. In fact, it isn't even certain that Gran Turismo will be a release title - a factor that would provide additional planning time for a person who only wants it for the next GT.

I just hope developers don't keep chasing these high resolution sets. When they do that it always comes at the price of losing some other features. Like exhaust backfires being absent when running GT Sport in 4k.

IMHO 8k resolution is totally unnecessary and would come at a heavy price.

Thanks for reading and have a happy new year.:cheers::gtpflag:

I think we're going to get Gran Turismo 7 which is going to be a combination of both. There's no reason why they can't satisfy both the fans of previous GT's and GT Sport.

I think about this often actually. GT Sport has came so far from release date, it would be unsettling to just bail now. Releasing a new game, maybe not. Adding offline/new online game modes, features, customization, etc., YES.

GT Sport and A ton of big name franchises have adapted to this "add as you go" methodology with paid/free content downloads and it's worked out for most from what I've observed. However games like the Forza Horizon franchise does release a new game often.

I don't think anything foundationally speaking needs to be seriously "reworked". If they can release a proper update and package/promote it with previews, trailers, and build hype like they always do then we'd basically have ourselves a new GT game to look forward to without starting anew. Many would title the content update "Season 2".

Last edited:
I'd prefer an updated GT Sport and a highly doubt they will move backwards and continue it as Gran Turismo 7. Is there even a market for a solo racing game these days?

It's very clear to me now that they're treating GT Sport as a live product and will likely do a bigger update, like GT Sport Spec 3, for PS5. Focus is probably on the esports potential of GT.

What is not clear is what's their business model moving forward. Maybe a subscription service, which I'm not very keen of, or maybe they will just release a Spec 3 as a new product and become a bit more aggressive with paid content...

You can make as many endurance races as you want in custom races offline.

Except I can't do it anything close to what GT 5 enabled can I? GT5, even though it was basic, did have multi-class racing for endurance races. It also had randomly dynamic weather, day/night changes, and was much more of an immersive experience. GT Sport doesn't allow that.
I'm sure you were offering what you felt was legitimate advice for me and I do appreciate that, but it's pretty clear that you missed my point.

For me, and this is only my opinion and experience with the two games, GT Sport is a step backwards, not forwards. I had to leave the GT series to find the racing experience I was looking for, after completing 100% GT1-5. I know I know, things change and we have to move on if our preferred series no longer fulfills our needs, but to get the racing experience I was looking for (multi-class endurance racing on a console with day/night cycles and dynamic weather for a full race of 4-24 hours) I had to go to Project Cars.

That might be an unpopular opinion, and I'm sure that many people here are super thrilled with what GT Sport has done for the franchise, but to me it's as if PD dropped what made GT great and shifted gears to something that was completely foreign to me.
So when I'm asked what I want out of the next GT game I want a fully robust off-line career mode with full length endurance racing with multi-class capabilities, day night cycles, and randomly generated dynamic weather. Something GT USED to have and something that shocked me that PD dropped...

GT Sport and A ton of big name franchises have adapted to this "add as you go" methodology with paid/free content downloads and it's worked out for most from what I've observed.

I don't recall any other game releasing so much content DLC for free for 2+ years straight and without any microstransations.

PD is giving GTS great support but they need to make money. A new game is the way to go imo. Not to mention the potential for the next GT game to sell PS5s.

Back