Would you rather?

• Thread starter motortrend
  • 22,046 comments
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
motortrend
Since the thread title is not explanatory enough I will explain how this "game" works.
1. You post vehicles (try not to post more than two) in the same price range
note: If one is used and the other is new tryto take into account the mileage and possible maintenance costs into the price equation to keep it interesting.
2. The next poster(S) can discuss why they would choose what they chose and whenever someone else comes up with an idea they go back to 1

I will start by posting these 2:
Scion FR-S(25-30k) estimated cost
Scion_FR-S_frs_Greddy_Cars_and_coffee_05.jpg

or
early Acura NSX of equal price
1991_acura_nsx_actf34_lt_1006112_717.jpg

Last edited:
Oh god the NSX by far.
Umm... It's an NSX? Mid-engine Ferrari beater compared to a sporty little coupe. Easy choice.

40-50k Lancer Evo X

2008-mitsubishi-lancer-evo-x-tmr-14.jpg

C5 Corvette ZO6

Smith%20Z06%20LF2.jpg

Remember that if you answer you should post a new one, if not then the next person wha can or wants can do so to keep things moving.

motortrend
Remember that if you answer you should post a new one, if not then the next person wha can or wants can do so to keep things moving.

Love this thread idea.

I think it'd be more interesting to allow people to discuss their choice. If the rules force them to post new cars along with it, nobody gets a chance to debate before the conversation moves on. Isn't that the fun of "would you rather?"

Love this thread idea.

I think it'd be more interesting to allow people to discuss their choice. If the rules force them to post new cars along with it, nobody gets a chance to debate before the conversation moves on. Isn't that the fun of "would you rather?"

Yeah that's true, unlimited discussion is better, then I guess it's best for anyone to post when they get an idea and just keep discussing freely until someone comes up with something new 👍 Rules edited

Yeah that's true, unlimited discussion is better, then I guess it's best for anyone to post when they get an idea and just keep discussing freely until someone comes up with something new 👍 Rules edited

Or how about 1 new matchup per day.

Or how about 1 new matchup per day.

That sounds good, I'll see how the thread starts moving and adjust accordingly. The only problem with that is who chooses the matchup per day, should we put up a queue of people or just a matchup that becomes obsolete after 24h and then anyone is free to post the new one?

That sounds good, I'll see how the thread starts moving and adjust accordingly. The only problem with that is who chooses the matchup per day, should we put up a queue of people or just a matchup that becomes obsolete after 24h and then anyone is free to post the new one?

That is a bit problematic indeed.:ouch:

That is a bit problematic indeed.:ouch:

I'll change the rules so that the minimum is 24 hours and after that anyone can post a new matchup, so 24h after the corvette and evo post anyone is free to post a new one.
--------------------------.-----------------------------------
By the way on the evo and corvette, I think I would take the corvette, the evo is probably more comfortable and practical but a nice c5 with a few mods can obliterate an evo, plus I wouldn't really need the practicality

This thread reminds me of the old Grudge Match threads that Yssman used to do. I wish he would start doing those again.

At first the NSX is the obvious choice. But then at that price range and year, the milage get's worryingly high. And the FR-S is a beautiful piece of work. Certainly no slouch compared to the NSX. But of course it's not a legend like the NSX, at least not yet.

But I think I'll choose the Scion. Tough choice though.

The second one is a bit easier. I never really liked the C5 Vette. So I would get the Evo.

Here's one:

2005 W211 Mercedes E55 AMG:
E55_AMG_1.jpg

Or 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8:
dodge-charger-srt8-7_460x0w.jpg

Edit: Just noticed the rules. Hope it's alright that I still posted. I think it's a nice match up. I'm sure people won't mind commenting on all three match ups.

Last edited:
That's a tough one. The Mercedes is much nicer but a 2005 wil probably have something break if you even look at it. I would get the Dodge for everyday driving but if reliability wasn't an issue it would be the AMG, going to have to say the that I would get the Dodge.
This reminds me of a road and track/car and driver test that was done a while back.

Since nobody has gone in a while, here we go!

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392-$42,000
Dodge_Challenger_2012_5.jpg

2002 Nissan Skyline (BNR34) GTR-$38,000-50,000
r34gtr_01.jpg

Should spark some views from both sides.

BRZFRS86, C5 Z06, SRT8, SRT8.

An early NSX is nice and all but... It's still a 20 year old car. If I had to choose one to daily, it'd absolutely be the BRZFRS86.

Evo X? Oh, you mean a car heavier than a C5 Corvette of any description with AWD and a 300hp turbo-4. Yeah I'll take the C5 Z06 and most likely get better fuel economy while I'm at it.

E55 doesn't do much for me, nor does the Charger SRT8... But I'd rather have the Charger, it's the "same car" with a "better" engine and more time to be refined (and cheapened but whatever).

I live in the US. R34s that can actually be legally driven here don't exactly exist and won't for a long time yet... Not to mention most are RHD (all that haven't been converted, even). Challenger it is, even though I'm not too much of a fan of it. Oh, and I'd go for an R33 if I was going to touch the Red Emblem.

Real camaro against a virtual GTR?

On the above :
NSX
Evo
GTR

Ohh JDM's

Since nobody has gone in a while, here we go!

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392-$42,000
Dodge_Challenger_2012_5.jpg

2002 Nissan Skyline (BNR34) GTR-$38,000-50,000
r34gtr_01.jpg

Should spark some views from both sides.

Imported Challenger SRT8's are priced at about £45,000 here. A R34 Skyline GT-R will go for about £20,000. I think i'd still opt for the Skyline though.

NSX over the GT86.
I suppose the Evo over the C5 Vette. Although for that price i'd prefer a C2 Vette.
Charger over the Mercedes. I don't like many Mercedes.
It's a difficult one between the Challenger and R34. Challenger does have it flaws so it would be the R34. But again for that price i'd have an R32.

^you would get a pretty special GTR32 for that price tag ;)

On the GTR price, I have seen one for 70000€! Only 7000km on it 1 owner, sadly I didn't play in the lottery

Interesting thread, I'd go for the GT86 over the NSX as I prefer a practical car, that's cheap to run and I'd nearly always pick FR over MR anyway. Also I don't like the styling of most MR cars too much either.

I'd pick the Evo over the Vette, as I don't want left hand drive. It would be a hard choice otherwise, as they are completely different types of cars to me.

I wouldn't pick either of the Merc or Dodge, just no interest in anything like that, big heavy car needs big thirsty engine to pull it's weight around, ugly/boring styling. But yeah the left hand drive thing again would make it an easy choice, if I had to pick one.

I'd pick the R34, again because I don't want left hand drive and also, I think a R34 would be far cheaper here than a challenger.

I changed the rules back to the older ones since things are working pretty well this way, no need to wait, just freely discuss and post whenever you want and get an idea.
Here's one with a not so new car and an older car:
Well taken care of late 80s carrera 3.2 in the 130k mile range:
IMG_78521326783126.jpg

or
1999 996 carrera with relatively high miles (near 100k)
99645.jpg

I would choose the late 80's Carrera, and slap a Whale Tale on it. Can't go wrong with a classic 911 and a Whale Tale.

EDIT: I know it's "Tail" but I like saying Tale when talking about the Whale Tail of the old 911's. Not sure why, I just do.

^Same here, even though I sort of like the tea tray more the whale tail goes better with the lines of the carrera

I reckon I'd pick the newer one. Don't know much about 911s nor have I driven one so 996 it would be.

Here's my recent findings:

Holden Special Vehicles GTS (AU$82,990 with the 6-speed manual, $84,990 with auto)

5083174526_e9f77b10de_z.jpg

2005 BMW M5 with 93,200km, full options and service history $83,000

cp4681085293812625945.jpg

Link

I'd go with the M5 in a heartbeat, I just love that V10 but that holden looks pretty nice and will probably cost less in maintenance

Back