Would you rather?

• Thread starter motortrend
  • 22,046 comments
For reasons that I can't really describe I'm more drawn to the HSV. If the year was actualy 2005 I'd have gone with the M5 as well but that's because the comparable HSV back in 2005 had nothing on it. The E3 GTS on the other hand is about as fun, it doesn't take much extra to get it to perform as well (The E-Series Walkinshaw-enhanced version [Bathurst Edition] is a perfect case-in-point), in my opinion looks better and would be much cheaper to run.

Really the only point that would stop me from getting one (given the cash) over an M5 is the interior, which really doesn't look like it does the $83,000 sticker price justice (I'd go manual too, of course :D):

HSV%200883.jpg

Holden Special Vehicles GTS or M5?

It would have to be the M5, the Holden looks like a clown car.

Would you rather a somewhat crude but still fast sedan, or one of the most legendary performance sedans ever built buy anyone, complete with comforts and refinements far beyond that of the Holden...

Hell, I'd take the E39 M5 over the Holden.

Out of the Porsche. non to be honest. I know its probably more expensive. But a proper 1973 Carrera RS is the one i'd have.
Holden vs BMW. I'd have the Holden. But in it's Vauxhall VXR8 Bathurst guise. As i'm British. BMW's are not my cuppa T. Unless older 70's, 80's models. M5 is too ugly and complicated.
Celica vs S2000. Difficult to decide. S2000 is a bit feminine. But its RWD. Celica FWD and imo pretty ugly. S2000 it is. With an aftermarket hard top though.

Without question or shadow of a doubt the S2000. I like the look of the ZZT231 Celica but the S2K does pretty much everything except practicality (as it has no back seats compared to the Celica's 2+2 arrangement) better.

Hmmm the Porsche, I don't know much about Porsche so I'll just go on looks, I'd go for the old one, the new one looks bland.
I never liked that model M5, so I'd go for the Holden in a different colour and manual.
I'd pick the S2000 easily, it's RWD and that engine is great, just the convertible thing puts me off them too, it's the only reason I never bought one in real life, that and it's only got 2 seats.

I'd go with the R34 GT-R over the Challenger. Heck, I'd go with a lot of things over the Challenger. The 996 over the 930. The 996 is newer and better looking in my opinion. The M5 over the Holden. The Holden is just ugly to me, even compared to the Bimmer. And the S2000 over the Celica. That model Celica is a great car, but it's no S2K.

How about this one:

Subaru Impreza WRX STi (Gen III):
Subaru_Wrx_Sti_2011_White_8.jpg

2012 model. Delivery Miles.

Or...

Ferrari 308 GTB:
ferrari-308-gtb-quat-3_460x0w.jpg

1979 model. 27,000 Miles.

I'd take the S2000 over the Celica. But can I put the Celica motor and transmission into an MR-S and take that over the S2000? Faster, 500 pounds lighter, and MR for the win.

OK

Brz over NSX
I like new stuff thats reliable and will not cost an arm and a leg to repair.

Vette over evo
I just dont trust the reliabilty of mitsu, plus Im a subby guy.

R34 for sure.
S2k over celica.
E55 over holden.
And of course the subbie (see signature).

OK

Brz over NSX
I like new stuff thats reliable and will not cost an arm and a leg to repair.

Vette over evo
I just dont trust the reliabilty of mitsu, plus Im a subby guy.

R34 for sure.
S2k over celica.
E55 over holden.
And of course the subbie (see signature).

NSX are pretty reliable. It is a V6 built from a design they already had, if I recall correctly, and they age quite well. Plus rust isn't an issue. And fixing modern cars is honestly impossible, and the boxer isn't going to help I feel :P

Vette over the EVO is a no brainer. Better MPG, more reliable, easier to get more power out of, and hooning would be better in it too.

Oh, E60, not E55 :dopey:

For the Subie/Ferrari, I dunno. A quick but amazingly hideous car or an old, temperamental car that is quite nice on the eyes.

Heh...the Fezza vs. Rexy one is a little hard to decide. I don't want either of them about as equally. If it was a Teardrop 'Rex then without question the Subaru.

I'll just say that as much as I love that generation M5 (I think I'm one of the few that finds its looks to be awesome), I'd take the Holden because of how absolutely ridiculous it looks. It's so weird a car it's just cool. And you know, Ls V8, more power, blah blah.

About the other ones, I'd take the NSX over the new Scion ugly thing, obviously the Vette over the EVO, the R34 (I'd take any of the cars posted here over the Challenger with the esception of the Charger and the Scion ugly thing), the S2000 (this one is pretty dumb, in fact), the old Porsche, and neither the Ferrari nor the Subaru, lol.

Ferrari Vs Subaru. Hmm.. I don't like the 308's. There ugly and slow by todays standards, expensive to repair, 2 seats. Plus i'd also have magnum Pi in my head while i drove it. I wouldn't have that shape impreza. Mainly cos of how it looks. The original MK1 shape anyday for me.

Here's a pair of classic rally cars to choose from.

1st. A Ford RS200
07-ebay-rs200.jpg

Or... An Audi Sport Quattro
audi_sport_quattro_-_04_01.jpg

Isn't it supposed to be a new car versus an old car of the same value? Not two old cars.

Anyways, I'll go with the RS200. The engine may only go 200 miles before blowing up. But they are so rare, and so good looking!

well... that celica and s2000 aren't new. neithers a porsche 911 (996). i'd just thought it would be an interesting comparison. I'll do another. I know which i'd rather have.

2012 Dodge Dart. expected to cost $17k-$21k
2013-dodge-dart-photo-435905-s-986x603.jpg

1968 Dodge Dart. For sale for $22k
9650336-640-0.jpg

I'll take the new Dart. The old one would be cool to have. But I seriously doubt I could afford the gas. Though, if I could choose, I wouldn't have the new Dart either. Purely because of the badge. To me, Dodge stands for mediocrity. But that is just pure bias on my part. It may very well be a fantastic little car.

The new one was made/developed in collaboration with Fiat. The floor is a modified Alfa Romeo Giulietta's.

Old Dart. I've always had a strange affection for them.

You can get a perfectly functioning 60's Dart for far less than $20K if you don't look for special editions. Slant-6 models will be under $10 for a good example.

That one has a mopar performance 360 crate motor. And yes they also have dart convertible with a 318ci V8 with a 4 barrel carb for around $14k which is rather nice to. Only thing i don't like with the black one is the wheels. Both are Mint condition hence the price.

FR-S or NSX? Hmm. Tough decision actually. NSX is something of a dream car, but I really want a Toyota 86 at the moment. FR-S probably on balance, as I'd be happier exploiting its limits than I would the NSX.

Vette over Evo (not fussed on Evos/Imprezas post-1995 ish, a few honourable exceptions aside), Challenger over R34 (never been that arsed about Skylines either), Charger over E55 (tough decision, but I'd actually take Dodge build quality over Merc build quality of that era), M5 over Holden (not in the least bit interested in Holdens), S2K over Celica (marginally though, as I do like that gen of Celica), Ferrari over Subaru (by about a million miles - would I like one of Ferrari's prettiest cars or one of Subaru's ugliest? Err...), and old Porsche over new.

RS200 vs Audi I'd have the Ford, and Dart vs Dart I'd have the older car, though I'm sure the newer one would be easier to live with, and I'm not one of these numpties who thinks the new one is somehow a disservice to the Dart name.

Hell, I'd take the E39 M5 over the Holden.

I'd take an E34 over the Holden, too. Probably even a 528i.

E39 M5 (~50k miles) with some cash put aside for maintenance / parts that may break = 25k
124201261208AMww42pfba.jpg

OR
Brand new Mazdaspeed 3
pho_gallery_MS3_ext5.jpg

Mazda vs BMW. Probably the BMW. I think it looks better. I don't really know much about the Mazda. But i definitely don't like that plastic grill or hood scoop.

Mazdaspeed3 or M5? I'll take the Mazda. It's a hatch so I can put more stuff in it than I could in the M5, I personally think it looks better, and they have an amazingly smooth gearbox and great handling, aside from the torque steer.

M5 by a mile. That comparison could be used to enlighten an inexperienced car buyer to the wonders of the used market.

A friend of mine passed up low mileage Audi S4's and M3's to buy a brand new Mazda 3.

It's hard for me to ever justify buying a brand new car. Comparisons between used 90's-00's against 50's-70's-80's classics would be more competitive.

Not that I talked about the structure of this thread before...

The 370Z. Nissan is one of my favorite brands (3rd, to be exact), way more tuning options, and it just looks so good.

Although, that 850 is pretty convincing....

Back