WRC 8

• Thread starter Tool1312
  • 15 comments
Downloaded it for free on Games with Gold on Xbox
I still feel robbed.
I think Dirt 2.0 is so much better.
Hehehe well many would disagree but i would tend to agree even if i only have wrc7, i did check 8 out online and still thinking to try it out when it's on a good discount on psn.
I love dr2 by the way.

How do you compare it and why do you think its not so good? Im just curious, at least you got it for free.
Do you use a wheel? A g29? Or an xbox pad?

I've got a G920 but have been using it on ACC and PCars 2
I'm better on gamepad with the rally games at the moment.
The graphics on WRC8 are sometimes better than Dirt 2.0 but it's the physics of Dirt that for me clinch it.
There's a much better feeling of weight transfer, weight in general and on loose surfaces you can control drifts and power slides much more easily. I know some of the tarmac physics are so so but loose gravel, wet gravel are wonderful.
And the tarmac to snow and ice is great.
In WRC it's more of an on rails situation
And some of the car sounds are way off.
I've given it a go and done some comparison videos and I prefer Dirt even tho it hasn't got the WRC licence.

Steering takes a lot to get used to. Tankslappers are incredibly easy to get into, and everything absolutely refuses to slide on anything other than snow. Feels like you’re dragging a boat anchor.

Well i got it finally as posted in wrc9 before, had a good really early 1st impression with pad, then bad feel with wheel and on tarmac.

And many things i didn't like at 1st, but i did manage to set all to my liking except for a few things. And i love it on dirt and bumpy roads, with modern and old cars. Just less like it on tarmac for now.
Especially on smooth stages like Spain, seems too easy and vague to me, i prefer dr2 for that for now at least.

But on dirt im loving it and find many things better, and a few things not as good. But it gives me a hardcore sim feel with a wheel and cockpit on bumpy dirt roads, more feel and car control reactions.

Strange as it's opposite of the view of many here. Still need test things out, just tried it a few hours and few cars, stages.
But worth it for me for what i like in it.

Also in cockpit view you see the road ahead clearer brighter than in hood or dash.

Sound is improved too from 7, some cars sound really pretty good.

The r2 cars are gems in it too. Plenty of lift off oversteer on standard set up, just how you’d imagine they’d need to be set up in real life for tight corners and hairpins.

Bit of work on car settings transform handling on all cars.

The r2 cars are gems in it too. Plenty of lift off oversteer on standard set up, just how you’d imagine they’d need to be set up in real life for tight corners and hairpins.

Bit of work on car settings transform handling on all cars.
Yes im anxious to try them and all cars, i liked the r2 in wrc7, for me they felt more believable than the more powerfull classes.

I was surprised with the r5 i20, on wet dirt wales really fun and reactive.

A big difference for me was that all classes are enjoyable. I didn't like the R2 JWRC or R5 WRC2 cars in 7, I mean they were Ok but really just something you had to get through to get to the big gun WRC class. But with 8 I can find all classes fun to drive & agree with @FrankieStail about the JWRC lift off oversteer, it's great & quite controllable, and the WRC2 cars feel really powerful & quick enough on their own let alone the WRC cars which feel like they are on steroids.

What's with ffb settings changes not staying applied when going out of the control menu? I got out and back in and see my changes not staying, i out and in the control menu again and it keeps going back to earlier settings or lower even. Seems buggy or what, i applied it for sure then when you out there's no save setting but it seems to apply it sometimes..

Edit: seems to depend on the number you set it to, like 106 for alignment doesn't stick but107 does, more at least. Can't depend on settings staying put it seems.

Now tire load, i set it one higher from 104 to 105 and when i go back in it to check that it's still applied, it's back to 104. Pff..

Edit2: well i upped my ffb alignment and it feels pretty good now on tarmac too.
And mixed surface spain is great, love the replay on it, the wrc2 i20 looks pretty believable on it, got a great feel now.

I have to say im impressed, wasn't expecting it to be this good, not many mentionned that the sound is pretty good now on some cars that were awfull in 7.
And of course the stages are well done.
I haven't even tried the dynamic weather yet, and career. Slowly getting into it and finding my feel on basics 1st.

Last edited:
Just got this game, which was on sale.
I like it.
I decided to hold off on WRC 9 till I got a next gen console.
So far, I like this game as an entree to the series.
I prefer this compared to Dirt 2 though. The experience feels more planted.

Congrats for picking up this awesome game. It will keep you entertained for a long time.

Congrats for picking up this awesome game. It will keep you entertained for a long time.
I can see from trying career mode that I will have tons of fun.
The R&D tree, the rpg elements, the actual driving is really well done.
Unlike Dirt1&2 which I had to mess around with the wheel settings to get a decent feeling, it was pretty much plug&play with WRC 8.
This is something that a lot of people overlook.

I can see from trying career mode that I will have tons of fun.
The R&D tree, the rpg elements, the actual driving is really well done.
Unlike Dirt1&2 which I had to mess around with the wheel settings to get a decent feeling, it was pretty much plug&play with WRC 8.
This is something that a lot of people overlook.

The career mode is quite involving. I can't comment for a steering wheel as I use a controller atm. I've played through all 3 championships on normal difficulty & then hard, I'm almost halfway through my final WRC season & although I've purchased 9 I'm determined to finish up before moving on. I've had a lot of fun & my money's worth from this game.. :)

After having played this game all day long, I've come to the realization that this game is really hard, but not frustratingly hard.
There is a lot of randomness on how you can wreck your car.
I am still on Junior WRC, and some of these events are downright punishing like Wales in the rain with gravel.
Physics on Tarmac are great, but not so much on gravel. I understand there is a loss of traction on gravel but most of the time I am driving carefully with all the wrong calls that my copilot gives me (his Five is a Two to me honestly).

Back