WRC 9 Update Unlocks 120Hz Performance Mode on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X

checked, 120fps is not worth graphic dowgrade as during gameplay is subtle difference comparing to 60, balanced mode is way to go in this game

Last edited:
Xbox One Series X, Balanced Mode (60 FPS) is now worst than before the update. It was silky smooth, now there's stuttering (as if it was dropping one or two frames from time to time). It's noticeable during gameplay and during replays (sometimes even during the stage intro). The sound issues aren't fully fixed and seem more common now than before the update.
The high quality mode, despite the 4k visuals/resolution uses a simplified effect for the simulation of movement/rotation of tyres - which doesn't look that great - (whereas the Balanced Mode uses a more sophisticated/realistic one). Overall the increase in graphic resolution/visuals doesn't worth the downgrade to 30 FPS. A game like this feels way better running at 60 FPS. My crappy 4k monitor doesn't support 120Hz so no comments regarding this.

A side note regarding the PS5 version which is simply flawless (no stuttering anywhere) and remains as solid at 60FPS in Balanced Mode as it was before the update. Frame pacing in high quality mode seems a bit better/smoother than the Xbox Series X version.

All versions - PS5 and Xbox Series X - suffer from a bit of screen tearing during replays in very specific circumstances in Balanced Mode but they were also like this before the update so no changes here (but it's nothing to worry about). I do hope they fix the stuttering and sound issues on Xbox Series X because it was really running buttery smooth before the update.

An absolutely fantastic game/highly recommended.

Framedrops and screen tearing on most tracks I tried in "Dash Cam" on the PS5
in "Balanced Mode". ( Almost perfect in "Bonnet Cam". )
When they fix this the game in 60fps is fantastic, the stages excellent
with great FFB ( T300 ).
Incredible what the jump from 30fps to 60fps can do.

Last edited:
"An absolutely fantastic game/highly recommended."
It took them 9 attempts but it's now the leading the rally game imo.
the difference comparing to 8 is almost none (some physisc tweaks and few new stages, almost same game)

Last edited:
How noticable does it look from the last gen to the new gen?

The most noticable difference between PS4 Pro and PS5 is the framerate with some
minor graphicle upgrades.
But the jump from 30 fps to 60 fps is the most important
upgrade and makes the game so much more enjoyable to drive.

Framedrops and screen tearing on most tracks I tried in "Dash Cam" on the PS5
in "Balanced Mode". ( Almost perfect in "Bonnet Cam". )
When they fix this the game in 60fps is fantastic, the stages excellent
with great FFB ( T300 ).
Incredible what the jump from 30fps to 60fps can do.

Oh! I didn't try any of the interior cams. I never used them before because at 30 FPS it caused me nausea/dizziness. Must try them now on next-gen at 60FPS. External cameras are silky smooth for me on PS5 Balanced Mode.

How noticable does it look from the last-gen to the new-gen?
Apart from the switch to 60 FPS, it doesn't worth buying a next-gen system for this game - especially if you already own a PS4 Pro or an Xbox One X. Visually, while driving, is pretty much the same but a lot smoother.

Last edited by a moderator:
When playing Wrc9 on Ps5 using ps5 controller. In any mode its silky smooth. But when using a steering wheel fanatec ddps4. It complety changes. The game is still unplayable with a steering wheel. .lol. Just taking the piss. stuttering frame rate issues screen tearing.. I then test both controller and dd1 on at the same time and switch between the two and as playing in different cam views its the same. When on controller silky smooth wen I use the fanatec DD wheel. Tearing frame rate Stuttering and fuzzy... The developers sony need to pull there act together.

I’ve noticed this also - I’m
Using the fanatec CSL elite on the ps5 and whilst it works it makes the game frame rate skip and tear like mad

literally pause it, go back to controller and silky smooth.

does anyone have a fix for this?

and yes firmware is updated

I’ve noticed this also - I’m
Using the fanatec CSL elite on the ps5 and whilst it works it makes the game frame rate skip and tear like mad

literally pause it, go back to controller and silky smooth.

does anyone have a fix for this?

and yes firmware is updated

I've not had a chance to try this myself yet but have heard from some other people elsewhere online that if you change the mode on the CSL base to the purple-lit compatibility mode this fixes the screen-tearing, so the issue seems to be stemming from part of the original wheel compatibility issue. The developer has commented that they are aware of the problem but the temporary fix is an unofficial one.

I've not had a chance to try this myself yet but have heard from some other people elsewhere online that if you change the mode on the CSL base to the purple-lit compatibility mode this fixes the screen-tearing, so the issue seems to be stemming from part of the original wheel compatibility issue. The developer has commented that they are aware of the problem but the temporary fix is an unofficial one.
I can confirm this works a treat

See while I agree it's not worth buying a new console for it was a brill surprise picking it up in a sale for PS5. Looks good at 4K60 and it's a lot of fun to play. The new feedback from the controller is great, very dynamic. The thing that stuck out the most is the super quick loads!

snc
the difference comparing to 8 is almost none (some physisc tweaks and few new stages, almost same game)
WRC8 on disc never made it to Oz so I can't compare.A forum member helped me get a copy of 9 via the UK!
What ever patch 1.06 (PS4) does it works for me.No more tearing/stuttering @ 4K though I do have a saving settings bug which resets camera to default.

Last edited:
I tested it finally today and can confirm destroyed performance on XSX. It was smooth 60 before and it's gone now in Balanced mode. Maybe next time.

Suffered through a not very steady 30fps with wrc7 and 8 on vanilla PS4 and said never again to a kyloton game.
However having got a ps5 and spotted next gen version of wrc9 on sale on ps store I decided to give them another go.

And, wow, what a transformation, a steady 60fps along with proper fov adjustment and seat adjustments means I can also use my preferred cockpit mode with no hud.
Can finally see how far kyloton have come with the wrc series, in some ways, for example snow and tarmac, it even surpasses dirt rally 2.0.
And with dirt rally my favourite title of all, for wrc9 to get so close and passing it in some respects means something in my eyes.

However I have noticed some screen tearing in some settings, but with this being early days in the next gen version I’ve plenty of hope for wrc9 to be a worthy accompaniment to dirt rally 2.0.

I can confirm this works a treat

I have noticed that the FFB is not quite as good in Compatibility mode compared to the proper one though, its not a big difference but it doesn't feel as polished. It's perfectly useable but I hope there is a proper fix for the screen tearing coming so I can eventually have the full experience.

This game is very very good when everything is working. I am currently debating whether it is better than Dirt 2.0 or not... there are things it does better but there are still things Dirt is better at too...

Last edited:
I remember when it was smooth 60 FPS and it was much worse than DR2. The physics is very simple but I don't play rally too often. If you like easy mode WRC is a good choice I guess.

I remember when it was smooth 60 FPS and it was much worse than DR2. The physics is very simple but I don't play rally too often. If you like easy mode WRC is a good choice I guess.

I don't think the physics are that simple, the WRC cars behave very similarly to their Dirt equivalents and similar at least from a visual perspective to the real thing. Tarmac is better in WRC9 than Dirt. Where Dirt is better is that all of its cars are of a similar quality which can't be said of WRC9, where the RWD historic cars in particular are not very good. FFB is still better in Dirt too.

Yeah, I am not sure here because I can't play everything all the time. I played WRC 9 on XSX and it looked very easy. Very good game for me but DR2 feels like sim. I play on a pad so I don't have whole perspective and dirt is not my favorite surface. From my opinion every game plays completely different league.

WRC current spec cars,The 1999 Corolla (The only dlc I've had to buy $5) and the GR spec Yaris,Where else you going to find these cars on console?
The stages are a hotlapper's dream,mine anyway.

Sure, it's fine, I liked it like I wrote but it's mostly fun with good rally. DR2 feels like a real sim even with its problems.

When I saw the bad stuttering yesterday I had to delete it but if it will be fixed it's great rally game. If not I had a good fun with it already.

Sure, it's fine, I liked it like I wrote but it's mostly fun with good rally. DR2 feels like a real sim even with its problems.

When I saw the bad stuttering yesterday I had to delete it but if it will be fixed it's great rally game. If not I had a good fun with it already.
I run both on PC and would rate WRC9 above DR2 in terms of physics and stage design.

It’s close in terms of physics, but the limitations of the CM engine are very apparent, particularly on tarmac.

I run both on PC and would rate WRC9 above DR2 in terms of physics and stage design.

It’s close in terms of physics, but the limitations of the CM engine are very apparent, particularly on tarmac.
Wow, that's interesting. I heard similar opinion already. Stage design is sure thing, many stages in WRC are better. Tarmac could be worse too. But I would say dirt physics is completely different level. Strange.

Last edited:
Wow, that's interesting. I heard similar opinion already. Stage design is sure thing, many stages in WRC are better. Tarmac could be worse too. But I would say dirt physics is completely different level. Strange.
I'm playing with a wheel, which does make quite a difference

Back